Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

A lot of fans are deluded and think thats its as easy as calling up a club & saying give me this or that player. Do people think the club didnt try sign more players in this window? It just wasnt possible, Mata is the only world class player that has moved in January so far & thats because he wasnt getting game time at Chelsea. Big things will happen this summer!

big things will happen at Champions League clubs.

United will end up signing players that improve us, but at a level we could have got NOW and helped with a push for the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

the 1 bit of good news from what Hear is that few deals are on for the summer. We might see repeat of 07 summer.

although I will believe it when see it.

now just want get game out of way tomorrow. have to have to have to win

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wait, are people trying to fight the argument of "We aren't trying" with "We are trying but failing"? :pac: Not sure the latter isn't worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

United will end up signing players that improve us, but at a level we could have got NOW and helped with a push for the CL.
    If we could have got them in NOW, do you really believe we wouldn't have? I mean, really believe it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Does anyone have a good estimate (based on some sort of analysis) for what the January price premium roughly works out at?

the 1 bit of good news from what Hear is that few deals are on for the summer. We might see repeat of 07 summer.

although I will believe it when see it.

now just want get game out of way tomorrow. have to have to have to win

I have absolutely no doubt there are deals planned for the summer - have no doubt we have spoken to the agents of players like Vidal and Kroos. But I just don't see us being able to clinch them without CL football.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

We will be a Champions League club, why are you writing off a good team with some really top players from finishing in the top 4 when were only 6 points behind with a lot of games left..this idea that signing a midfielder for the sake of it would solve all our problems is stupid.

What players do think Moyes should have signed this month? And who do you think will finish top 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

rightyabe wrote: »
    Disregard giggs he's only in the squad to help moyes get a feel for moral etc..

Ask yourself this would jones and cleverly get a game at Liverpool,Everton,spurs? I believe they would. Would they get a place/seat on city's,Chelsea,arsenals bench? I believe they would!

Do these 2 have the quality to lead mufc to glory..I don't believe so but surrounded with quality attack minded players they can and a usefulness that maybe lacking within the squad and within many squads in the PL.

Jones is a stop gap, never gonna be a CM and well Cleverley wouldnt get near any of the other squads in the top 5 bar maybe Liverpool. Even when Cleverley was on loan with Wigan they played him wide, he is not good enough to start and is never gonna be a player to bring on to either see out a game or change it.Fellaini and Carrick if they were fit would be fine for me but there not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I have absolutely no doubt there are deals planned for the summer - have no doubt we have spoken to the agents of players like Vidal and Kroos. But I just don't see us being able to clinch them without CL football.

Kroos was non runner.

from the whispers Vidal is only interested in coming if we get CL football. that's what apparently been brushed around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hmmm would you like an extra 50-60k a week sir? CL won't matter.

• Advertisement

If we could have got them in NOW, do you really believe we wouldn't have? I mean, really believe it???

Yes - I believe we could have got Cabaye - Paris wasn't his first choice. Had to be convinced of it.
    Had we actually moved for Matic rather than asked to be 'kept informed' maybe we could have signed him.
    Had we moved for Fernando earlier, maybe we could have got him.
    Maybe we could have got Matudi if we had moved for him, 6 months left on his contract.

They would have improved us, helped us get CL, and helped us get these world class players people just seem to assume will sign for United because its Man United (regardless of us being in Europa or not in europe at all.)

RasTa wrote: »
    Hmmm would you like an extra 50-60k a week sir? CL won't matter.

And you don't think CL clubs, with nice wage budgets, are going to be in for the likes of Vidal too?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

And you don't think CL clubs, with nice wage budgets, are going to be in for the likes of Vidal too?

Honestly, that's a big worry for me now. If Vidal is available, you can bet we won't be the only ones after him in the summer, and without CL football, there are other teams who will easily be able to match wages and the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

That's the most important issue here. Without CL football we're going to struggle to attract big names - a year in a players career is a lot to wait around and see if they improve. As such we haven't looked like our style of play is improving at all.

I'm fully behind United and the manager but the warning signs are there to see IMO.

Not as big as us. I'm not sure if he has even played for a team that has made it out of the group stages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Wonder who these "players" Mata was referring to in his press conference? And how many of them will still be open to a move to Man United if we dont get 4th spot?

What makes you think this? City, who were absolute nobodies, managed to clinch top class talent without CL football. All it takes it money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

You can say what you want about CL football but its money that decides most players career. You only have to look at Falcao and the rest of the boys at Monaco..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Said it before but City signed Silva, Yaya & Balotelli when they didn't have Champions League football the following season. If we don't get forth we can still sign worldies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Yes - I believe we could have got Cabaye - Paris wasn't his first choice. Had to be convinced of it.
    Had we actually moved for Matic rather than asked to be 'kept informed' maybe we could have signed him.
    Maybe we could have got Matudi if we had moved for him, 6 months left on his contract.

They would have improved us, helped us get CL, and helped us get these world class players people just seem to assume will sign for United because its Man United (regardless of us being in Europa or not in europe at all.)
    Maybe we would have got Vidal now if we offered 75m plus 400k a week wages. Maybe maybe maybe.

I hate this phrase as it renders forum discussions pointless but we really don't know what went on behind the scenes. We very well could have 3/4/5 players lined up to sign before the WC which will do me nicely as I don't think reaching at least 4th spot is gonna be too much of a stretch right now.

Said it before but City signed Silva, Yaya & Balotelli when they didn't have Champions League football the following season. If we don't get forth we can still sign worldies.

And Dzeko, Tevez and Kompany.

Not as big as us. I'm not sure if he has even played for a team that has made it out of the group stages

Juve did so last season (and made a fecking fortune from it, somehow).

Not as big as us.... how much weight do you really think that carries? You think he would turn down millions at Chelsea and CL football because United have a better history? What if Madrid or Barca go in for him, we'd be completely screwed then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Cabaye and Matic are very much debateable imo. Matic returned to Chelsea where he was familiar and had a point to prove, Cabaye went home to France.

2 players so, I can't say I've seen either play much, so I'll take your word for it that they would improve us, improve options or get in the team ahead of Carrick/Fellaini/Fletcher?

The fact is there likely weren't many options out there for Moyes to significantly improve the CM and he is waiting for the summer to get some proper deals done.

I also disagree re. Champions league being a factor in signings. We are flush and are a massive club, City bought some stonking players when they were outside CL.

Apparently Tunnecliffe coming back from loan, any one know how he did at Ipswich?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

People shouldn't even bother pointing this out anymore tbh it's so obvious. People pretending they don't know it are just having the whinge, leave them at it - it's friday!

Worse case scenerio we finish outside top 4. One bad season means the 25 years of previous success & the great history of the club is suddenly forgotton ???Laughable

• Advertisement

And Dzeko, Tevez and Kompany.

A promising striker, not world class.
    A money merc whose agent made an absolute fortune selling him to city.
    Kompany was another promising player, not world class at the time.

City were also throwing money at everyone - it was clear their 'project' would have them competing very soon. You can't say the same for United.

ballotelli wasn't world class at the time either, and neither was Silva. Yaya, arguable.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

When people say "we can't get anybody in January" what do u think the players at juventus and Porto are sticking round for - their Europa league campaigns???
    We need these players now!! We can cherry pick any player in the Spanish league with the exception of the top 3 and the same goes for any player in the German league other than Dortmund and bayern. That's a he'll of a lot of players in Europe. I don't condone the shaw xfer when I see Rodriguez at wolfsberg a better prospect at a half of the price but its rubbish to think that a club utd's size has to sit on it's hands cuz there ain't the players available. From the outside looking in, it looks like there isn't the desire to be active no matter how much bull**** is talked about a war chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I just can't fathom how the midfield hasn't been addressed this window especially considering Anderson's loan and Carrick's injury.

Worse case scenerio we finish outside top 4. One bad season means the 25 years of previous success & the great history of the club is suddenly forgotton ???Laughable

25 years under ONE manager, that is now gone. Not a sustained success under different manager indicating a organizational structure to keep the levels going in perpetuity.

That one manager has gone, and United have gone from a team that didn't finish outside of a point of winning the league in 8 years, to a side looking at a battle for the Europa League. You think players won't be worried about that?

ballotelli wasn't world class at the time either, and neither was Silva. Yaya, arguable.

You're not that clueless now, c'mon.

• Advertisement

When people say "we can't get anybody in January" what do u think the players at juventus and Porto are sticking round for - their Europa league campaigns???
    We need these players now!! We can cherry pick any player in the Spanish league with the exception of the top 3 and the same goes for any player in the German league other than Dortmund and bayern. That's a he'll of a lot of players in Europe. I don't condone the shaw xfer when I see Rodriguez at wolfsberg a better prospect at a half of the price but its rubbish to think that a club utd's size has to sit on it's hands cuz there ain't the players available. From the outside looking in, it looks like there isn't the desire to be active no matter how much bull**** is talked about a war chest.

I love how some fans think football and transfers work. If only it was that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

ericzeking wrote: »
    Cabaye and Matic are very much debateable imo. Matic returned to Chelsea where he was familiar and had a point to prove, Cabaye went home to France.

2 players so, I can't say I've seen either play much, so I'll take your word for it that they would improve us, improve options or get in the team ahead of Carrick/Fellaini/Fletcher?

The fact is there likely weren't many options out there for Moyes to significantly improve the CM and he is waiting for the summer to get some proper deals done.

I also disagree re. Champions league being a factor in signings. We are flush and are a massive club, City bought some stonking players when they were outside CL.

Apparently Tunnecliffe coming back from loan, any one know how he did at Ipswich?

There was reports last night that Larnell Cole and Tunnicliffe were on their way to Fulham.

• RasTa wrote: »
    Correct not as big as us.

This is such a media spinner by crappy tabloids people are obsessed with saying nobody wants to join Man utd anymore it's getting frustrating. Biggest fan base in world football, one of the biggest clubs the last 25 years including last season. This is just as important as CL football.

You're not that clueless now, c'mon.

They weren't though.

Ballotelli was a very promising young striker, very hot headed though. Certainly worth the risk of the fee, and had/has the potential to be world class, but at the time he was not.

Would be like saying that right now Lukaku is a world class striker. He is very good, extremely promising, but not world class right now.

David Silva wasn't world class at the time either. VERY good, but again, not world class. Would class it as similar to buying Draxler now. I would say Silva moved into the world class bracket in his second season at City.
    Yaya, as I say, arguable. I think he has improved a lot at City, and has become world class since signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

They weren't though.

Ballotelli was a very promising young striker, very hot headed though. Certainly worth the risk of the fee, and had/has the potential to be world class, but at the time he was not.

Would be like saying that right now Lukaku is a world class striker. He is very good, extremely promising, but not world class right now.

David Silva wasn't world class at the time either. VERY good, but again, not world class. Would class it as similar to buying Draxler now. I would say Silva moved into the world class bracket in his second season at City.
    Yaya, as I say, arguable. I think he has improved a lot at City, and has become world class since signing.

You've jumped the shark baby

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

I love how some fans think football and transfers work. If only it was that simple.

I'm not naive but the point, I was making was that - there is a large talent pool available to united and for fans to think that we can't sign a player becuz it's January - is just idiotic. Man city are currently trying to plug the gaps in their squad, god even Chelsea are recruiting for the future but we are sitting with our thumbs up our hole quoting "the players aren't available"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'm surprised and disappointed Utd have only bought Mata this window considering the prospect of losing out on CL football. I used to be of the opinion January was a tough window to buy quality but as City and Chelsea prove, it is not. If Utd think the effect of missing out on CL football is just a one off, they're wrong. It's the start of a slippery slope. If Utd think that Summer will be the time they strengthen then they better have deals tied up already. Otherwise attracting talent for the Europa League will be impossible (unless they throw silly money at players).

keane2097 wrote: »
    You've jumped the shark baby

So you are saying that David Silva was world class in 09/10, but was a rotation option for the Spanish side both that season, and the following one (getting two appearances, one as a sub, in the WC). His world classness at city (following up his previous world class seasons) got him 4 goals and 7 assists in the league.

Ballotelli was so world class prior to signing for City he managed 13 starts in the league for Inter and not a single senior cap for Italy. Yep, Italy kept their world class striker in the U21 side. Makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

keane2097 wrote: »
    Your mate Miguel was talking all week about United trying to sign Fernando, presumably he's either making it up or misinformed since you're in the know that United haven't actually been doing anything to try and sign him?

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1697091/man-united-more-likely-sign-porto-fernando-juventus-arturo-vidal?cc=5739

Miguel Delaney has no more insight into Man United than any other average journalist. I don't know why he's given so much attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Has he really though?

Balotelli was seen as an excellent prospect that was petulant child and hard to manage. He still is. He hasn't hit anywhere near the heights he should have IMO. He certainly wasn't world clas on arrival.

Yaya was discarded by Barca as surplus to requirements. Silva was arguably the safest bet of the lot because he was playing regularly for Spain and he was relatively cheap given his talent from a cash strapped club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Red Crow wrote: »
    Miguel Delaney has no more insight into Man United than any other average journalist. I don't know why he's given so much attention.

I used to play 5-a-side with Miguel. True fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I'm surprised and disappointed Utd have only bought Mata this window considering the prospect of losing out on CL football. I used to be of the opinion January was a tough window to buy quality but as City and Chelsea prove, it is not.

How has Chelsea's hunt for a top class forward gone?

Red Crow wrote: »

Miguel is great at suddenly developing the inside track on a story after another journo has already broken it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

So you are saying that David Silva was world class in 09/10, but was a rotation option for the Spanish side both that season, and the following one (getting two appearances, one as a sub, in the WC). His world classness at city (following up his previous world class seasons) got him 4 goals and 7 assists in the league.

Ballotelli was so world class prior to signing for City he managed 13 starts in the league for Inter and not a single senior cap for Italy. Yep, Italy kept their world class striker in the U21 side. Makes sense.

Even if you didn't think they were quite world class at the time, would you not be happy with United buying players with the quality of Silva, Toure and Balotelli, as they were in 2010?

Buying very good players with the potential to get even better. Surely that is a more prudent transfer strategy than the galactico method.

I'm not naive but the point, I was making was that - there is a large talent pool available to united and for fans to think that we can't sign a player becuz it's January - is just idiotic. Man city are currently trying to plug the gaps in their squad, god even Chelsea are recruiting for the future but we are sitting with our thumbs up our hole quoting "the players aren't available"

Difference is we've had too many windows were we signed players for the future...Powell,Zaha,Smalling,Jones etc. we now want top established world class players like Kroos,Vidal,Koke,Mandzukic,Gondogan etc. these are not available right now so it makes sense to wait a few months and get players like these rather than waste money on players we dont really want. I believe the club tried but were told no not now and are working towards summer deals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Rio Ferdinand ‏@rioferdy5 19 secs
    Wow.....great news....... #TransferDeadlineDay

God damn Rio. Stop that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I really wish Moyes hadnt of said that, I wont have the excitement of watching SSN later

Moyes out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Danger781 wrote: »
    God damn Rio. Stop that.

Prob means he wont be sold :D

Blatter wrote: »
    Even if you didn't think they were quite world class at the time, would you not be happy with United buying players with the quality of Silva, Toure and Balotelli, as they were in 2010?

Buying very good players with the potential to get even better. Surely that is a more prudent transfer strategy than the galactico method.

Yes I would - and I have argued that is what United should be doing. Buying top players in the 20-24 age bracket that will develop into world class players - as City did.

I am simply saying, Balotelle and Silva were not world class when City signed them. They were not arguably the best in the world in their position as Vidal is, so aren't an accurate comparison. They were very good buys (Silva, Toure, Kompany in particular) and they are world class now, but they weren't at the time they were bought.

The Galatico method seems to be what Woodward and Moyes are aiming at, and I have repeatidly said I think it is a dangerous strategy when our entry into the CL for next season is massively in doubt.

United do not have a history of being able to attract already world class players from abroad. Veron the only one I can think of. Ruud, Stam and others were excellent, but improved to world class level at the club, not before it imo. To buck that trend, without CL football, will be very difficult, imo.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Yiz greedy gits !!! ;) :pac:

If anyone had come in here and said you will sign Mata this window and have Rooney and RVP fit again going into Feb, a large portion of you would have bit their hand-off.

• Advertisement

I used to play 5-a-side with Miguel. True fact.

I might know you....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement