Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Why are we so bad at buying young talent ? Are our scouts that bad. Chelsea just picked up another youngster and loaned him straight back. We spend 15 million on Zaha with no return yet. Bebe dont get me started. Pogba a monumental fook up. Arsenal bought walcott and ox chamberlin young. Cant believe we cant lay our hands on a midfielder better than cleverly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Danger781 wrote: »
    God damn Rio. Stop that.

Before anyone gets excited, he followed this up by saying it's great the rain has stopped. Teasing ****er!

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Yiz greedy gits !!! ;) :pac:

If anyone had come in here and said you will sign Mata this window and have Rooney and RVP fit again going into Feb, a large portion of you would have bit their hand-off.

Honestly, all of the above positives are fairly academic if we don't have a ****ing midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Blatter wrote: »
    Even if you didn't think they were quite world class at the time, would you not be happy with United buying players with the quality of Silva, Toure and Balotelli, as they were in 2010?

Buying very good players with the potential to get even better. Surely that is a more prudent transfer strategy than the galactico method.

Exactly what I wanted to say but the words wouldn't come to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why are we so bad at buying young talent ? Are our scouts that bad. Chelsea just picked up another youngster and loaned him straight back. We spend 15 million on Zaha with no return yet. Bebe dont get me started. Pogba a monumental fook up. Arsenal bought walcott and ox chamberlin young. Cant believe we cant lay our hands on a midfielder better than cleverly.

:confused:

Januzaj? Rafa, Smalling even DDG. I could go on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Maybe Moyes is confident that with Fellaini and Fletcher back we have enough options until the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I might know you....

6/7 years ago?

• Yes I would - and I have argued that is what United should be doing. Buying top players in the 20-24 age bracket that will develop into world class players - as City did.

I am simply saying, Balotelle and Silva were not world class when City signed them. They were not arguably the best in the world in their position as Vidal is, so aren't an accurate comparison. They were very good buys (Silva, Toure, Kompany in particular) and they are world class now, but they weren't at the time they were bought.

The Galatico method seems to be what Woodward and Moyes are aiming at, and I have repeatidly said I think it is a dangerous strategy when our entry into the CL for next season is massively in doubt.

United do not have a history of being able to attract already world class players from abroad. Veron the only one I can think of. Ruud, Stam and others were excellent, but improved to world class level at the club, not before it imo. To buck that trend, without CL football, will be very difficult, imo.
    They might be citys backbone but that trend is not as valid as it used to be. I would include aguero in the above but things have changed in the way players are purchased ie below;
    Edin Dzeko £27,000,000 and was already class 60 goals on 90 for wolsfburg
    Fernandinho £30,000,000 is 28 and has a **** list of honours for Shackter

Think there hoping to 'buck the trend' as you say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

6/7 years ago?

depends why you were playing ball with him. If you lived near him and played local, then yeah, probably. If it was a work/college thing, very unlikely that I know you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

People have been saying that Moyes needs to a start a clearout of the squad. Get rid of the deadweight. He's done exactly that and people are complaining.

He got rid of Anderson. He only completed a handful of games for United over his career. People saying he should have been given a start ahead of others. Well, he wasn't. He seemed like he was last in the pecking order, therefore, dead weight. Good riddance.

Fabio was third choice LB. Made 1 appearance in the league this year, and 2 sub appearances in the cups. 1 of which he was sent off in. Deadweight, so needed to go.

You could probably argue Zaha should have been given a chance. He is probably better off on loan where he will get game time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Honestly, all of the above positives are fairly academic if we don't have a ****ing midfield.

It didn't stop us last year.

We had a better manager last year. the players themselves were better last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

lads... has Rooney actually signed that new 300k/week deal I was hearing about earlier this week ? ..or has nothing official come out?

depends why you were playing ball with him. If you lived near him and played local, then yeah, probably. If it was a work/college thing, very unlikely that I know you.

Sounds like the latter. May I continue to shoot down your posts as I see fit Walrus style?

Sounds like the latter. May I continue to shoot down your posts as I see fit Walrus style?

If you knew me you'd shoot them down quicker.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I find it hard to blame Moyes and Woodward for this window, getting Mata for me is a stroke of genius. I loved watching Mata at Valenica, I knew he was going to be top class and finally we have him.

My big worry is CL football for next season. Mata wont solve our problem, far from it. He's signing is looking at the big picture than looking at the here and now. We crave for a CM, we desperately need one and Moyes not signing any this window could come back and bite him in the ass. If these so called summer transfer targets see us out of the CL, would they still come? I doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I am simply saying, Balotelle and Silva were not world class when City signed them. They were not arguably the best in the world in their position as Vidal is, so aren't an accurate comparison.

You said that Yaya Toure was "arguably" a world class player when City signed him. So thats one, arguably. Tevez was a world class player when City signed him. So that is world class player number two signed without CL football, arguably.

The point that was being made was that City signed world class, or potentially world class players without Champions League football. If worst comes to worst, United should be in the position to do the same. As regards attracting player, no CL football is not completely disastrous based on the business City did, when they were a much smaller club.

That was the point that was being made, and it is completely reasonable. Your being ridiculously pessimistic.

If you knew me you'd shoot them down quicker.:pac:

I'm drunk from lunch time pints but I think we now have a connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

keane2097 wrote: »
    Delighted to hear the staff line getting trotted out again.

I don't think anybody ever ended up replying to this post I made:

On the staff issue, I wouldn't be a fan of the backroom team Moyes has and its nothing to do with the old staff. Frankly United's actual performances were very poor for the last few years so I am certainly not moaning the loss of Phelan or Rene.

But that doesn't mean I am impressed by the coaching talents of Neville or Giggs either. The only reason Neville is there is because he knew both Moyes and the club, what is his coaching credentials to be at one of the worlds biggest clubs? He is a liasion more than a coach. Giggs the same, what makes an ex-player qualified to be the best coach?
    Steve Round is just the Moyes number 2, every manager has one that they bring with them, thats just the way it is.

After Brian Kidd Fergie searched out the best coaching talents in the game, headhunting McClaren, Quieroz, and then even promoting Rene. Thats what any big club should be doing, not hiring coaches based on the fact they once played for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

v3ttel wrote: »
    You said that Yaya Toure was "arguably" a world class player when City signed him. So thats one, arguably. Tevez was a world class player when City signed him. So that is world class player number two signed without CL football, arguably.

The point that was being made was that City signed world class, or potentially world class players without Champions League football. If worst comes to worst, United should be in the position to do the same. As regards attracting player, no CL football is not completely disastrous based on the business City did, when they were a much smaller club.

That was the point that was being made, and it is completely reasonable. Your being ridiculously pessimistic.

Dont forget Robinho, they got him in 08 when they were nothing and nearly got Kaka as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I used to play 5-a-side with Miguel. True fact.

Forgot to bring a ball, eh? :pac:

Irrelevant really, as it's stopping us this year.

According to Moyes stand down your tv cameras our business is done. Ffs

Have any of you been listening to the agents on TalkSport talking about the transfers they are 'in the know' about? It's such nonsense. Everyone knows they're talking crap but are given airtime. One dude was saying a major Europe-based CL player is joining a relegation struggling club to 'put himself in the shop window'. All nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

bullvine wrote: »
    Dont forget Robinho, they got him in 08 when they were nothing and nearly got Kaka as well.

To this day I believe they let him think that it was united and not city that he was going too!!!!

According to Moyes stand down your tv cameras our business is done. Ffs

Welcome to three hours ago. :P

Man United want five summer signings & could do a deal today
    The Manchester Evening News have reported that a senior source at Manchester United still believes the club could make a signing today and will target as many as five players in the summer transfer window.
    Despite the Red Devils boss earlier insisting that the club's business is over for the month, it now appears that the Premier League champions could still add to their squad before 11pm this evening.

However a move in this window still appears fairly unlikely, but the Red Devils look set to make a number of signings in the summer.

The source insisted that Manchester United will add a number of players to their side in the next window and as many as five players could come through the gates at Old Trafford.

A club source told the Manchester Evening News: "Everyone will be around for that 0.01 per cent chance today just in case but it's pretty impossible at the moment.

"Clubs are fighting in the Champions League, for Champions League place and they are relaxed about that.

"I would imagine that they would bring in three but you have to balance it.

"You don't want to bring in too many and destroy the core of the team – you have to be careful about it.

"It could be a case of three in, three out, or even four, maybe more. They have to be the right players and they have identified their targets."

http://www.givemesport.com/426026-man-united-want-five-summer-signings-could-do-a-deal-today

5tIG0vz.jpg

:pac:

mitosis wrote: »
    Forgot to bring a ball, eh? :pac:

Miguel had a note pad if that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Decent window overall so far, the club has signed a world class player, and the midfield situation always looked like it was going to have to wait until the summer.

Mind you, if Moyes made a cheeky last minute bid for a top midfielder and somehow brought in someone like Kroos or Vidal along with Mata in one transfer window, I may have to consult the chart again :D

dreamszz5.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We weren't going to get top players in the positions we need in this window

And we weren't going to spend 60m signing squad players like Fernando and Shaw.

I'm disappointed but there's not much that could have been done, and we signed Mata.

We don't need more squad players, we need the last pieces of the puzzle, and I'm sure Moyes will bring them in in the summer.

15 games to go, 4th is the target, the odds are against us but hopefully with everyone back we'll finally hit some form and get there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

Can someone name these players that we couldn't get in this window but can get in the summer please

Can someone name these players that we couldn't get in this window but can get in the summer please

I don't think Moyes and Woodie read the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Where should we begin....

Hmmmm every player we've been linked within in the past 6 months.

I'm not doing a whole list, but if the prices are right they could've been got this month.

What amazes me is that we thought that after Mata was signed there'd be more, it was never going to happen guys. I think TBF to David he's lining up the targets for the summer and i hope that he will be finalising everything before the end of this season and before the World Cup.

There's been a bit of the dead wood/squad players been moved out and I have no problem with this. If one or two more were let go that'd be no problem either.

I'm giving Moyes and the Equaliser the benefit of the doubt until September 1st of this year. If major signings and changes have not been made by that stage I'll be requesting membership of the Moyes out club.

Welcome to three hours ago. :P

Doing some work cant be online all the time. Do u work in the civil service by any chance :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I'd play Rooney in cm until we get the re enforcements in the summer , I'd say he wouldn't mind as long as it was just temporary

Deagea
    Raf-vid-evans-evra
    -carrick--rooney--
    -mata-kagawa-januzai
    Rvp

That team would score goals

• Advertisement

Doing some work cant be online all the time. Do u work in the civil service by any chance :p

No, thank God. Just a quiet week. Believe me, I'd rather be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Honestly, where did the Zouma to Chelsea transfer come from even? Seemed to be finalized very quickly..

The Official Agent™@_OfficialAgent_ 2 mins
    Right! I am leaving for #Carrington now to catch up with the staff. See you guys in a bit. Busy night ahead. #MUFC #EPL #Transfers #Moyes

He's at Carrington this time apparently :eek: Probably going to say it's about Ronaldo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I'd play Rooney in cm until we get the re enforcements in the summer , I'd say he wouldn't mind as long as it was just temporary

Deagea
    Raf-vid-evans-evra
    -carrick--rooney--
    -mata-kagawa-januzai
    Rvp

That team would score goals

Isnt it sad that Wayne Rooney is our best midfielder, whatever about Scholes, Keane could do a fecking job for United at the moment, its that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

brinty wrote: »
    Where should we begin....

Hmmmm every player we've been linked within in the past 6 months.

I'm not doing a whole list, but if the prices are right they could've been got this month.

What amazes me is that we thought that after Mata was signed there'd be more, it was never going to happen guys. I think TBF to David he's lining up the targets for the summer and i hope that he will be finalising everything before the end of this season and before the World Cup.

There's been a bit of the dead wood/squad players been moved out and I have no problem with this. If one or two more were let go that'd be no problem either.

I'm giving Moyes and the Equaliser the benefit of the doubt until September 1st of this year. If major signings and changes have not been made by that stage I'll be requesting membership of the Moyes out club.

As u said, if the price is right - we've replaced zaha with mata (massive upgrade) but in the 2 areas that we r lackin - cm an lb, we've let 2 guys go. We can argue about their quality but weve got rid in areas that we r depleted. This line that we have targets for the summer - that's great becuz now we r a CL team. In the summer, we may not b attractive to the calibre of targets that were holding out for.

Our attractiveness could b very different in 5 months time, people also talk bout the players that man city got in while outside the Cl. Players that were pulled in with the promise of astronomical wages, aren't we now taking the risk of Cl qualification knowing that we r goin to have to overpay on wages to orchestrate the pull of CL team if we miss out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

David Silva only gets 130k a week, and I'm not sure if that's what they signed him on or if that's the upgraded wage after a few years

Here's my fantasy united line up for next season , I think Rvp will be sold by thee way

dea gea
    Coleman-vidic-thiago-shaw
    martinez---Vidal
    ----Reus----Mata----Januzai
    Rooney

Go on Woodward you can make it happen , would you guys be happy with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Here's my fantasy united line up for next season , I think Rvp will be sold by thee way

dea gea
    martinez---Vidal
    Rooney

No, I'd be devastated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Yes - I believe we could have got Cabaye - Paris wasn't his first choice. Had to be convinced of it.
    Had we actually moved for Matic rather than asked to be 'kept informed' maybe we could have signed him.
    Had we moved for Fernando earlier, maybe we could have got him.
    Maybe we could have got Matudi if we had moved for him, 6 months left on his contract.

They would have improved us, helped us get CL, and helped us get these world class players people just seem to assume will sign for United because its Man United (regardless of us being in Europa or not in europe at all.)

MAYBE..........Moyes didn't want any of them as he feels the squad he has whilst not capable of winning the premier league would be capable of a top 4 finish and THEN he will address the underlying need of a LB and CB.

If you or anyone else on this forum were asked the question whether the following Manchester United team would struggle for 4th place you would have slapped them in the face and called them a troll

DDG
    RAF----VIDIC----EVANS----EVRA
    Carrick/Fellani
    Mata
    Rooney
    Adnan
    RVP

If that team can't clinch 4th place............

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

dea gea
    martinez---Vidal
    Rooney

Hard to take these seriously at the best of times even harder when you don't even bother to spell players names correctly on a continual basis.

bullvine wrote: »
    Isnt it sad that Wayne Rooney is our best midfielder, whatever about Scholes, Keane could do a fecking job for United at the moment, its that bad!

It is sad but imagine the movement and interchanging between kagawa Mata and januzai , the problem with kagawa is that the players he has played with aren't on his wavelength , I see it all the time , he lays the ball off makes a run into the box expecting a return pass but ****tards like Valencia can't see it , mata and januzai would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Thiago Alcantara is too short to be a centre back anyway :pac:

I think Januzi will prosper under Mata's guidance. It'll be Yorke/Cole-esque synergy.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Hard to take these seriously at the best of times even harder when you don't even bother to spell players names correctly on a continual basis.

Don't you mean "you"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement