Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Smalling and Evans are the CB pairing of choice for next few seasons.

Jones to interchange from CB to CM as needs dictate.

His aim will be to attempt reach O'Shea level and secure the title with a 90th minute winner Kop end!

Definetly a penalty miss for England in a euro or world cup shoot-out in his future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

irishfeen wrote: »
    Next 5 PL games -

Stoke
    Fulham
    Arsenal
    Crystal Palace
    West Brom

Realistically 13 points minimum is needed to get back inside the top 4 - imo get 13 and I think we will finish inside top 4 but if we mess it up I think CL football might be just out of reach with Liverpool's current form.

Think we should take 1 game at a time and treat it as a cup final. 110% off everyone. 3 pts required today. Lets not fall at the first fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Smalling and Evans are the CB pairing of choice for next few seasons.

Jones to interchange from CB to CM as needs dictate.

His aim will be to attempt reach O'Shea level and secure the title with a 90th minute winner Kop end!

Definetly a penalty miss for England in a euro or world cup shoot-out in his future.

For me Jones/Evans is the partnership of the future.

Smalling is too lax, lazy of body and mind. He gets mixed up with our keeper more than any other defender expecting DDG to do stuff he should really be tidying up himself.

Previously I've been unconvinced by Jones at CB but this season he's impressed me anytime I've seen him there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know I tend to be very negative about Moyes and results, but Stoke are bottom quarter of the table, and this season, we've tended to do well against that level. So not overly worried about today's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I know I tend to be very negative about Moyes and results, but Stoke are bottom quarter of the table, and this season, we've tended to do well against that level. So not overly worried about today's game.

All depends on who plays in the centre of midfield.

Stoke carry more off a threat than Cardiff and will most likely be stronger through the middle :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Van Persie is your only world class number 9, and he is a crock. Most world class squads have at least two great number 9's. But man utd don't need them? One crock of a great no 9 will do?

You taking da piss? Or you looking for a reaction??

How many so called world class squads are there exactly? And when you name tge squads talk about tgeir strikers rather than generalising world class as having two top strikers thats b****.

So put 10 minutes into a post on world class teams and post here please?

And rvp is no crock thats a ridiculous statement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

How many so called world class squads are there exactly? And when you name tge squads talk about tgeir strikers rather than generalising world class as having two top strikers thats b****.

Dont feed the antagonists

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Cant wait to see Mata playing again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Would love to see Mata, Rooney, RVP and Januzaj start up front today but can't see it happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Would love to see Mata, Rooney, RVP and Januzaj start up front today but can't see it happening

Its gonna be Jones, Fletch, Valencia and young....wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Why are you bringing up a post made over 3 weeks ago when you have been on here plenty of times since then?

I refer you to your own opening 2 questions.

Its gonna be Jones, Fletch, Valencia and young....wait and see.

That means either Rooney or Van Persie on the match, Mata will start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Under 18`s one down against City.

Mrs Crinklewood thinks i am strange for watching this ( from the woman that watches silly bride shows on RTE )

Henderson
    Evans
    Barber
    McConnell
    Ioannou
    Goss
    Riley
    Willock
    Rashford
    Redmond
    Mitchell

Subs:-

Substitutes: Borthwick-Jackson, J.Pereira, Thompson, McTominay, Croskery.
    Expand

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Are Zaha and Fabio eligible to play for Cardiff today?

• Advertisement

Why are you bringing up a post made over 3 weeks ago when you have been on here plenty of times since then?

I refer you to your own opening 2 questions.

I never looked at date of post i refreshed to last page and seen that post... must be a boards.ie problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

yeah the deal went through in time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't think so. They probably wouldn't play anyway doubt they've even trained with the side yet.

Edit: They are actually eligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pro. F wrote: »
    His passing is not good for a CM playing in any role. It's acceptable because he makes up for it with other qualities, but to describe it as good is wrong. His passing is inaccurate.

I propose for Fellaini to play as a box-to-box central midfielder, getting forward and back. There's nothing brute force about that, it's certainly more elegant than playing with two sitting central midfielders.

The idea of him getting in the box for crosses does not make any sense when you said he should sit back with Carrick and let the four attackers get the goals.

I suppose Gundogan's passing is inaccurate also, he plays in the same position Fellaini did at Everton and Belgium and there's only a 6% swing in Gundogans accuracy to Fellaini's in the last season they both played in that position. And playing with the calibre of players Gundogan is with the top class movement you could make a good argument that it makes up that 6% and beyond if we're being realistic.

If I remember correctly you're one of the ones who raves about Gundogan's passing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Under 18`s one down against City.

Mrs Crinklewood thinks i am strange for watching this ( from the woman that watches silly bride shows on RTE )

Henderson
    Evans
    Barber
    McConnell
    Ioannou
    Goss
    Riley
    Willock
    Rashford
    Redmond
    Mitchell

Subs:-

Substitutes: Borthwick-Jackson, J.Pereira, Thompson, McTominay, Croskery.
    Expand

How's the game going? Don't have time to watch it this morning? I hear City are well on top and it a poor kick out from Henerson that gifted them a goal.

• Advertisement

I suppose Gundogan's passing is inaccurate also, he plays in the same position Fellaini did at Everton and Belgium and there's only a 6% swing in Gundogans accuracy to Fellaini's in the last season they both played in that position. And playing with the calibre of players Gundogan is with the top class movement you could make a good argument that it makes up that 6% and beyond if we're being realistic.

If I remember correctly you're one of the ones who raves about Gundogan's passing.

Eusebio and now Gundogan...sad times.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Pass completion stats alone are hardly a realistic way to look at a players passing ability, without taking into account was the player under pressure, distance of pass, direction of pass etc.

Im sure you know this already. For me Fellaini is not a bad passer of the ball, not in the way he showed in his games thus far for us, but he is also not on the same level as Gundogan.

lordgoat wrote: »
    How's the game going? Don't have time to watch it this morning? I hear City are well on top and it a poor kick out from Henerson that gifted them a goal.

Only half watching between browsing other pages.

City on top, with not too many chances from what i see.

Awfully windy. Utd just had a free on the edge of the box, thought the contact was inside ( though it looked a bit of a dive )

VW 1 wrote: »
    Pass completion stats alone are hardly a realistic way to look at a players passing ability, without taking into account was the player under pressure, distance of pass, direction of pass etc.

Im sure you know this already. For me Fellaini is not a bad passer of the ball, not in the way he showed in his games thus far for us, but he is also not on the same level as Gundogan.

Where did I say he was?

Pro F likes stats and it's a bit mad how a player can be inaccurate and a player can be an amazing passer with a 6% swing in the stats.

Is Gundogan playing with better players?
    Do you get more time on the ball in the Bundesliga?

Fellaini's passing is good IMO for what he was doing, tackling, intercepting, winning aerial duels and distributing the ball to the attacking players, I can see him playing the same way at United instead of being box to box like Pro F said he would be. I think he's far less effective if he's playing box to box.

That said a deep lying CM isn't restricted from going forward all of the time, that would be mixing it up with a defensive midfielder, Fellaini will get forward occasionally even when playing in this position like he did at Everton and like he does for Belgium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I never looked at date of post i refreshed to last page and seen that post... must be a boards.ie problem
    Apologies. That's fair enough, just thought it was a bit odd. The site is a bit messes up lately alright.

Where did I say he was?

Pro F likes stats and it's a bit mad how a player can be inaccurate and a player can be an amazing passer with a 6% swing in the stats.

Is Gundogan playing with better players?
    Do you get more time on the ball in the Bundesliga?

Fellaini's passing is good IMO for what he was doing, distributing the ball to the attacking players, I can see him playing the same way at United instead of being box to box like Pro F said he would be. I think he's far less effective if he's playing box to box.

Fellaini's passing has been disappointing this season so I can definitely see where Pro F is coming from. Inaccurate would be a fair description of this passing as a United player so far. I would expect things to improve as he gets back to full fitness.

beno619 wrote: »
    Fellaini's passing has been disappointing this season so I can definitely see where Pro F is coming from. Inaccurate would be a fair description of this passing as a United player so far. I would expect things to improve as he gets back to full fitness.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but you realise we are talking in general/past seasons and not this season alone?

U21's concede second goal in injury time.

FT 0-2

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

U21's concede second goal in injury time.

FT 0-2

U18's dude! U-21's are the reserves, normally on Monday nights.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but you realise we are talking in general/past seasons and not this season alone?

Fair enough, has anybody really watched him play for Belgium ? Most of us have seen him play in a more advanced role than he has for United.

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »
    Fair enough, has anybody really watched him play for Belgium ? Most of us have seen him play in a more advanced role than he has for United.

He played the advanced role last season, Everton needed goals and physicality and he provided it.

The season before that he played the deeper role and did very well, he said himself it's he's preferred position and that's where he plays his best stuff. He does the same for Belgium, him and Witsel break up the play and give the ball to the attackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I'm looking forward to seeing Fellaini on the field again. Might get some game time today who knows.

And Mata of course! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Mata, Rooney and RVP all start according to MUTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

fabio starts for cardiff today, Zaha on bench

Man United: De Gea, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Evra, Carrick, Cleverly, Young, Rooney, Mata, Van Persie

Nice line-up, can't see us losing this with that team and bench

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I do think Gundogan's passing is good, though I doubt I've ever raved about it, because if I was going to rave about anything with Gundoga it would be his close control and his dribbling.

Comparing passing accuracy of players on different teams in different leagues isn't going to tell you a whole lot. It's certainly not going to tell you which of two players is the better passer.

Dortmund play a very direct style with a lot of attacking straight through the middle and Gundogan tries a lot of through balls. He also starts a lot of Dortmunds attacks by dribbling the ball forward before passing. So that would explain why his passing accuracy is nothing amazing. From everything I have seen Fellaini's passing is a bit hit and miss, whether he is trying a killer ball or a simple pass.
    He played the advanced role last season, Everton needed goals and physicality and he provided it.

The season before that he played the deeper role and did very well, he said himself it's he's preferred position and that's where he plays his best stuff. He does the same for Belgium, him and Witsel break up the play and give the ball to the attackers.

What games have you watched him play for Belgium? I've seen very little of his international football, but everything I've read points to the fact that he does not sit deep playing for them, but rather gets up and down the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Man United: De Gea, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Evra, Carrick, Cleverly, Young, Rooney, Mata, Van Persie

Nice to see Carrick back,thought he was going to be out for another bit.

Fletcher on the bench just in case Cleverley has an off day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

If Rafael injured?

• Advertisement

killwill wrote: »
    If Rafael injured?

He's on the bench.

NUTZZ wrote: »
    He's on the bench.

Crazy with either Jones or Smalling getting his place.
    No Kagawa either on the bench.
    Christ I am frustrated with that team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Its Stoke, that's why Raf is on the bench.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Its Stoke, that's why Raf is on the bench.

I get they will be pumping high balls into the box.
    Still frustrating that United are not playing to their own strengths.
    The team is better and will keep hold of the ball better plus attack better with Raf in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I'd imagine its to help deal with Stoke at set pieces. Fergie rarely played rafa against Stoke if I remember correctly. Unsure why young instead of Januzaj but ok with the rest. The new trinity playing :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Mata Rooney and V persie starting, Young has been playing well and banging in a few crackers so no qualms with him. I honestly don't get the Kagawa love in either. It's just not happening for him in the PL.

Some people are never happy around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I find your argument very stupid also - u talk about a settled back four, what does that exactly mean?? This guy grew up playing as a cb, I would of thought that it would b harder for him to transition him into another position. It is now 3 different managers that he has worked under since he has been at Man utd and none have had enough faith in him to make their first choice.

Vidic has missed large amounts of the previous 2 seasons and yet, he was consistently played as a RB with Evans playing the majority of times and even smalling coming in. He has been consistently overlooked and this settled team that u long for would seemingly have him as our 5th choice center half, not the John terry figure that has built up around him since his arrival. I'm just saying the stats don't back the theory that he is a great cb and the mitigating circumstances you use about the WBA game - its was west brom for gods sake!!!

A settled back four would mean the same defenders and a good keeper playing together regularly. So how many of Jones' CB starts were consecutive in a settled defence? Are you going to ignore the question as well, just like Homerjay used to?

He has only worked under two managers at United. I presume the other one you are talking about is Allardyce at Blackburn. Yes Jones only made 13 starts as a CB for Blackburn when he was 18. Sure he mustn't be any good at all.

With regards to him not getting a lot of starts at CB for United, so what? There's heaps of competition at the position and a big need for cover in other positions at times too. If Fergie and Moyes don't rate Jones as a centre back then they are wrong.

WBA are a premier league team and we were playing with the back up goalie, a make shift defence and two wingers who aren't great at tracking back. It was also the last game of the season. It is ridiculous to give those goals equal weighting.

Mata Rooney and V persie starting, Young has been playing well and banging in a few crackers so not qualms with him. I honestly don't get the Kagawa love in either.

Thats hardly directed at me considering I have not really posted in here since before the summer.

As for the Kagawa love in, I only questioned why he was not on the bench not claiming he was the next best thing to sliced bread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mata Rooney and V persie starting, Young has been playing well and banging in a few crackers so no qualms with him. I honestly don't get the Kagawa love in either. It's just not happening for him in the PL.

Is there honestly some lad who goes around showing games where the likes of Nani and Kagawa actually play rather than rot on the bench or be injured? People last season and this season going on about Nani being terrible this season when he played about 5 games and didn't play even when fit and now Kagawa barely playing and when he does he shifted into no man's land and not his actual position. But sure Young had one good game and suddenly he's 'playing well'. I've a goldfish with better memories than some football fans.

Liam O wrote: »
    Is there honestly some lad who goes around showing games where the likes of Nani and Kagawa actually play rather than rot on the bench or be injured? People last season and this season going on about Nani being terrible this season when he played about 5 games and didn't play even when fit and now Kagawa barely playing and when he does he shifted into no man's land and not his actual position. But sure Young had one good game and suddenly he's 'playing well'. I've a goldfish with better memories than some football fans.

Don't forget Young scored a "few" crackers of late.
    Young was at his level at Villa. Same as Downing with Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Nice to see 4-2-3-1 deployed with that attacking 4.. No Valencia too!

Really hope this will offer fluid, attacking play, we really should be beating Stoke, albeit a tough game. United 2-1.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement