Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

The despair here is frightening... I don't think the season is over, but we can continue to play the way we are playing and play ourselves out of 4th place quite easily. As Pellegrini said, we could still win the title - although this clearly is a bit of dreamland thinking. Everyone are taking points off each other this season and if we DID (big if) put a run together we could easily get 4th. The players need to play and the manager needs to make the right decisions (again 2 and 3 big ifs there).

We have been really lucky in a lifetime (21+ years) that we were so successful. We can moan and debate all we want, but just get behind the team and try to take some of the pressure off the players and manager - especially if you go to games. Be supportive and positive, and hope that we sort our **** out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

COYVB wrote: »
    You know lower mid table is about 14th right?

You're right. Upper mid table ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

eigrod wrote: »
    No he didn't.

Sorry 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

That was one of the most tactically inept performances I've seen from a United side in a long long time. And then Moyes comes out with: "I don't know what we have to do to win. I thought we played well."

I'm sorry but if it continues like this, there is absolutely no way Moyes can stay on in the summer. He's like a child in a sweetshop at United, delighted to be there yet forgetting that this is one of the biggest clubs in the world.

4th place was a minimum requirement this season. Would any major side in the world - Bayern, Juventus, Real, Barcelona - stand for 7th place after winning the title the year before? Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Fully expect us to steamroll Fulham next weekend, They really are shocking this season. If we fail to beat Fulham or even draw I'd be looking to move Moyes on, That's the first time I've thought that since he took over.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I find it weird when people say things like this with no provisos like as long as he keeps us in the CL maybe.

I say that going by the length of time previous managers have been given although a couple of seasons out of the champions league and the glazers will get rid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Ron Atkinson won 3 F.A cups in 5 years which obviously wasn't good enough but it's kind of pointless asking me if he should have been sacked given who he was replaced with and what Fergie achieved,David moyes will be given time too, and he'll probably be given 4 or 5 years

I would just like to establish at what point people unhappy with Moyes stop being glory hunters and start being right. You seem to agree that Atkinson, an FA cup winning manager no less, should have been sacked, so now we know that we don't have to support the manager for the rest of time no matter what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** I love united but ****.

A few Liverpool mates were complaining about Rodgers last season and I told them that he needs time and will get it right , which clearly he has...I felt the same about moyes, once he gets HIS team, but moyes isn't even trying to play proper football, it's very disheartening .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Skud wrote: »
    Everyone are taking points off each other this season and if we DID (big if) put a run together we could easily get 4th. The players need to play and the manager needs to make the right decisions (again 2 and 3 big ifs there).

Yeah, all we need is for Carrick, Rooney and Van Persie to come back, we will be a different side then! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Least we have 40 points now , should be enough to stay up.

• Advertisement

I would just like to establish at what point people unhappy with Moyes stop being glory hunters and start being right. You seem to agree that Atkinson, an FA cup winning manager no less, should have been sacked, so now we know that we don't have to support the manager for the rest of time no matter what happens.

I know the glory hunter response was lazy and uncalled for which I've apologised for, I was angry after watching the game
    We all have our opinions on moyes and I think he needs another season to build his own squad, of course I also have to accept the opinions of those who don't think he's up to the job:)

Sirsok wrote: »
    **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** I love united but ****.

A few Liverpool mates were complaining about Rodgers last season and I told them that he needs time and will get it right , which clearly he has...I felt the same about moyes, once he gets HIS team, but moyes isn't even trying to play proper football, it's very disheartening .

Thing with Rodgers is, is last season there were signs he was trying to play the right way but didn't have the personnel or time spent in the job in order to do it last year. The rewards are being reaped now.

With Moyes the only direction we have is to get the ball wide and whip ball after aimless ball into the box. It's pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Moyes: "It was our downfall we didn't score from chances, but must have got to byline eight, nine times."

Don't know why people are upset. We got to the byline eight or nine times.

Are you not entertained?

Yeah, all we need is for Carrick, Rooney and Van Persie to come back, we will be a different side then! :pac:

All played well today - but that is completely irrelevant. Also said 3 players can't cover for mistakes in other positions surely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

We all have our opinions on moyes and I think he needs another season to build his own squad, of.

Genuine question, but what makes you think he can build a top level squad? He's had two transfer windows now, he's pubically identified two areas (cm & lb) we need to fix....and has not done anything that resulted in those areas being strengthened.

So why do you think that, given time, he'll come good. What about Moyes himself leads you to have that faith in him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

That was dreadful. No two ways about it. Moyes is not cut out for this level. With the players we had out today, a win should have been on the cards. Instead, we were on the back foot for most of the match. The first goal and the 2 injuries were bad luck, but bad luck cannot be an excuse for that listless performance. This team is better than this. Moyes doesn't know what he is doing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I've been asked to point out the following...

The last time that Manchester United lost as many as eight of their opening 24 games in a league season was in 1989-90, when they lost 11 times and finished in 13th place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Another one goal loss.

No surprise there when no platform exists to create chances and get goals.

Great to have quality up front but not much use without a central midfield. Can't get my head around not bringing some reinforcements into midfield during the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

The despair here is frightening... I don't think the season is over, but we can continue to play the way we are playing and play ourselves out of 4th place quite easily. As Pellegrini said, we could still win the title - although this clearly is a bit of dreamland thinking. Everyone are taking points off each other this season and if we DID (big if) put a run together we could easily get 4th. The players need to play and the manager needs to make the right decisions (again 2 and 3 big ifs there).

We have been really lucky in a lifetime (21+ years) that we were so successful. We can moan and debate all we want, but just get behind the team and try to take some of the pressure off the players and manager - especially if you go to games. Be supportive and positive, and hope that we sort our **** out.

Easily?? we potentially will be 9 points behind with a +20 goal difference to make up - liverpool only have us and southampton as the only 2 top 10 sides to play away from home. I think u need to look up the definition of easily

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

A season ticket holder whose opinion and information I respect told me that Moyes was reluctant to take on the Man Utd job, thinking himself that he wasn't 100% ready for it. Ferguson talked him into it and told him that there would be a large support network there, with him a part of it, who would guide him through the early years.

This is all well and good but this manager, who had achieved very little before been given the biggest job in football, suddenly came in and cleared out the couching staff that had just won a league and brought in Phil Neville and co.

These were the early warning signs, and I don't blame people for not latching on those alone...but now...In february and having lost a third of our games this season...what next?

He has proved himself to be tactically inept and lacking in any kind of motivational skills...It pains me because as a man, I really like Moyes...I don't doubt his desire to do well at the club but I do doubt his experience and his know-how. AS a previous poster has said, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place now...We can't sack him and look stupid so we must stick with him and face the consequences.

But be under no allusions, we are in this situation because of one man, and one many only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

At least I'm willing to have patience during the bad times, it was always going to happen with the amount of change in the club last summer, I've supported man utd for the last 30 years through good and bad, I don't expect instant success and I'm far from f*cking clueless! I support my team no matter what! not everyone on here can say that

But do you have Man United pjs? And the duvet set? And curtains, and wallpaper??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

4th doesn't look achievable at all now especially if Liverpool win tomorrow. Said from the start of the season if he doesn't get 4th at least he should be sacked and see no reason to change my mind. If anything we`ll do well to finish 5th

Genuine question, but what makes you think he can build a top level squad? He's had two transfer windows now, he's pubically identified two areas (cm & lb) we need to fix....and has not done anything that resulted in those areas being strengthened.

So why do you think that, given time, he'll come good. What about Moyes himself leads you to have that faith in him?

I wouldn't count the first transfer window as he didn't have the time to scout what he needed, having said that I don't agree with the way he seemed to bid for fabregas, thiago, Herrera etc just for the sake of it, he didn't make that mistake this window
    I think he is doing the right thing about the areas he knows needs fixing by not just going out and signing anyone which he well could have done this window, I think we will see the world class signings we wanted in this window in the summer.
    I like moyes because of his dedication to the job, his constant travelling to games and overseas to scout players, I've read somewhere that he's only taken 3 days off since he started, that to me says he deserves a fair crack of the whip.
    I think that when he gets the players he wants it will show in better tactics and therefore performances.
    Only Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Clearly...

Jesus, that's a depressing statement from the manager of Man United. What the **** has happened to us??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

**** being supportive. Supportive of what, the long balls and aimless crossing? You're either insane or an idiot if you continue to support Moyes and think he can get us to 4th.

I'll continue to watch United games (albeit pissed off and falling asleep), but I'll not support someone who clearly isn't good enough for the job.

But do you have Man United pjs? And the duvet set? And curtains, and wallpaper??

Of course:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

There were mitigating factors for Moyes today - lots of wind and lax referring, both of which suited Stoke perfectly, and then our two starting centre backs went off injured. That's a fair bit of crap to overcome. But in amongst all that you could see that Moyes' style was in full swing and the team were muck going forward as usual.

There is such a ridiculous over emphasis on playing the ball wide, it's head wrecking. So many attempted crosses and cut backs and resulting corners, every fúcking game. And still the same game plan when playing against Stoke in a hurricane. It's pure stupidity.

I'm also annoyed that Young was taking the right footed corners instead of Rooney. It's obvious Rooney is better at them.

Easily?? we potentially will be 9 points behind with a +20 goal difference to make up - liverpool only have us and southampton as the only 2 top 10 sides to play away from home. I think u need to look up the definition of easily

Liverpool are far from consistent this season also. A strong finish to the season would put us there or there abouts. 6/9 points behind right now is irrelevant - if it was April, I'd say something

I wouldn't count the first transfer window as he didn't have the time to scout what he needed, having said that I don't agree with the way he seemed to bid for fabregas, thiago, Herrera etc just for the sake of it, he didn't make that mistake this window
    I think he is doing the right thing about the areas he knows needs fixing by not just going out and signing anyone which he well could have done this window, I think we will see the world class signings we wanted in this window in the summer.
    I like moyes because of his dedication to the job, his constant travelling to games and overseas to scout players, I've read somewhere that he's only taken 3 days off since he started, that to me says he deserves a fair crack of the whip.
    I think that when he gets the players he wants it will show in better tactics and therefore performances.
    Only Time will tell.

He had months to bring in who he wanted in the summer. And then panicked and bought a player he worked with for years at over the odds.

Dedication is commendable but relatively pointless unless you have a clue what you're doing. We have three of the best attacking players on the planet and all we're doing is trying to get them to head goals.

We don't have time to fall behind. Look at Liverpool and see how quickly empires can fall with 2-3 seasons of disastrous football and decision making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Really disappointing performance today, can't see us getting 4th now. Rooney didn't seem interested and RVP seemed very frustrated. Thought he should have brought on Fletch for Jones and left Rooney up front. Thought it was strange to bring on Hernandez when the issue was creating chances instead of taking them, Januzaj or Kagawa was the type of player needed IMO

titan18 wrote: »
    You're either insane or an idiot if you continue to support Moyes and think he can get us to 4th.

nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Sirsok wrote: »

Ya at least Rodgers sets up his team to play football,he was doing it as well last season

Its tough watching Utd,there is no life in the team at all.

Thought Mike Phelan made a good point today,he said Utd were taking too many touches on the ball and the tempo was too slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If I was Moyes now I would say bollix to the league and try to perform a miracle by winning the CL. In the remaining big games against Arsenal and Man City he should try out the backs to the wall 10 men behind the ball tactics we would need to even hang onto the coattails of Barca,Madrid,City or Bayern.
    In the remaining games against mid to lower table opposition he should try and find some f***ing cohesive way of getting results.
    I'm not delusional enough to think this will actually happen but unless something radical happen he will be unceremoniously thrown out of 'the biggest job in football' because he has been a massive mistake and unless the club mans up admits it made a mistake and moves on from this sorry excuse of a season, Moyes will run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Liverpool are far from consistent this season also. A strong finish to the season would put us there or there abouts. 6/9 points behind right now is irrelevant - if it was April, I'd say something

More consistent than United and playing far better football. Would take a miracle to finish above them which is a disgraceful turn off events in one season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Is it a surprise that our only goal came from a pass through the middle to Van Persie's foot rather than a hoof aimed for his head from the wing.

Play Kagawa and Mata and Rooney, fùck crossing

beno619 wrote: »
    Most consistent than United and playing far better football. Would take a miracle to finish above them which is a disgraceful turn off events in one season.

I agree - but we are capable of doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭CSF

thelad95 wrote: »
    If I was Moyes now I would say bollix to the league and try to perform a miracle by winning the CL. In the remaining big games against Arsenal and Man City he should try out the backs to the wall 10 men behind the ball tactics we would need to even hang onto the coattails of Barca,Madrid,City or Bayern.
    In the remaining games against mid to lower table opposition he should try and find some f***ing cohesive way of getting results.
    I'm not delusional enough to think this will actually happen but unless something radical happen he will be unceremoniously thrown out of 'the biggest job in football' because he has been a massive mistake and unless the club mans up admits it made a mistake and moves on from this sorry excuse of a season, Moyes will run it into the ground.
    Yeah, this Man United team (without Mata aswell) is going to beat Bayern, Barca, Real, Atletico or even City or Chelsea, probably even more than one of these teams. That is something that is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

One slight positive from today for me was watching Mata play. He managed to do a lot with very little movement around him. He really is the type of player who can make something out of nothing.

Liverpool - 46
    Everton - 45
    Spurs - 44
    Man Utd - 40

4th undoubtedly gone. Catching Spurs and Everton is even a stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thing with Rodgers is, is last season there were signs he was trying to play the right way but didn't have the personnel or time spent in the job in order to do it last year. The rewards are being reaped now.

With Moyes the only direction we have is to get the ball wide and whip ball after aimless ball into the box. It's pathetic.

In fairness to Rodgers he didn't stick with the same system, one that was easy on the eye and statistics but often wasn't getting results. He can still have his head scratching moments, but he is more practical and adaptive now, Everton had 61% of the possession in the derby but lethal counter attacking killed them. Which leads to the crucial point:
    J. Marston wrote: »

Are you not entertained?

You've just spent £37 Million on Mata and he's on about getting to the bye line?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Based on? Mathematical permutations, or are you seeing something that nobody else seems to see?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Far from consistent? What's this nonsense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

J. Marston wrote: »

Are you not entertained?

It's so much better than I could ever dreamed it at times tbh! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Moyes fiasco continues.

It's negligent of Utd to leave him in charge at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The match thread wasn't enough for them it seems :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

From Moyes time in charge so far, what evidence is there to support that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Is it a surprise that our only goal came from a pass through the middle to Van Persie's foot rather than a hoof aimed for his head from the wing.

Play Kagawa and Mata and Rooney, fùck crossing

Completely agree. We persisted with long balls from deep, crosses, and playing for corners. That was never going to work in today's conditions.

The injuries had an effect, but our tactics were ****e. If we don't even try to outpass Stoke bloody City there is something wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Of course:cool:

Well I do! Pic taken when I was 10 (I look 6!) curtains are out of shot

• Advertisement

The match thread wasn't enough for them it seems :rolleyes:

Joke's on them.

Next year is our year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement