Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Ah here i usually don't give out about him but he was s***e today!

He didn't start the match. He was under scrutiny at a time when Utd fans were getting desperate and, well, hating just about everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

We are painful to watch at the minute. Seriously, they were just pinging it around with no game plan, never had any grip of the game at any stage.
    You know it's bad when we can't impose ourselves on fcuking Stoke. Their league form before today was LLDLLL.

Blame our luck, blame the wind - shouldn't matter, that was basically our best XI against a team in 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

This season is most likely a write-off if the team continues to play like this. Today we had a very strong team and our 3 strongest attackers available, yet we were second-best to Stoke for most of the game. We don't even look like we're trying to play football. Its just hoof it up to the forwards 99% of the time, otherwise pray for a bit of magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I wouldn't count the first transfer window as he didn't have the time to scout what he needed, having said that I don't agree with the way he seemed to bid for fabregas, thiago, Herrera etc just for the sake of it, he didn't make that mistake this window
    I think he is doing the right thing about the areas he knows needs fixing by not just going out and signing anyone which he well could have done this window, I think we will see the world class signings we wanted in this window in the summer.
    I like moyes because of his dedication to the job, his constant travelling to games and overseas to scout players, I've read somewhere that he's only taken 3 days off since he started, that to me says he deserves a fair crack of the whip.
    I think that when he gets the players he wants it will show in better tactics and therefore performances.
    Only Time will tell.

So what did u think of his substitution today for carrick moving into defence when jones got injured. A blind man could see Fletcher was the answer yet he brought on Welbeck. I want to give Moyes time too but he is making crazy decisions game after game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Disaster today

Both centre halves going off fcuked us up. The changes we had to make because of that were not ideal and had a big impact on our game.

Too much side ways passing again and not enough forward passing. I think that is more to do with our CMs than Moyes instructions. Cleverly is shocking and creates very little. Very rarely passes forward.

Weather was unreal and didn't help either. Ref let too much go.

People expect mata to come in and work miracles. He will need time. RVP and Rooney will need 3 or 4 more games to get back to normal. I know we can't afford that time but that's the reality.

There was a lot against us today so you need to weigh it all up. Seems to be the same theme here of 'get Moyes out' after a bad result without actually analysing the whole situation.

Good things come to those to wait. It's not easy to be patient but I strongly believe next season we will see the united we are used to. Few new faces will come in during the summer and Moyes is definitely working hard on that. He is going after the right players.

Stick with it lads. It's a marathon, this one might just take a year until we start to see the finish line!

P.s we have had no luck whatsoever this season!! You need a bit of luck along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Devil08 wrote: »
    P.s we have had no luck whatsoever this season!! You need a bit of luck along the way

While I would tend to agree with some of what you're saying, what did luck have to do with deciding to play hoofball against Stoke? Taking on Welbeck but not Fletcher?

As I said in my post above, we had most of our best XI available (including Rooney, Mata, van Persie) and were playing against a team in 18th with a form guide of LLDLLL. There is no excuse for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

ricero wrote: »
    Moyes he the type of lad that if it was raining titties he would get hit in the head with a dick

reading this has made me smile for the first time since the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm so sick of wingers.

Why can't we just try this once?
    RVP

Any trio between Mata Rooney Kagawa and Januzaj.

Honestly, what is the worst that can happen if we try that? Lose a game? We're used to it at this stage. Just fúcking try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

So what did u think of his substitution today for carrick moving into defence when jones got injured. A blind man could see Fletcher was the answer yet he brought on Welbeck. I want to give Moyes time too but he is making crazy decisions game after game.

I honestly don't know what he was thinking, that was a terrible decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

collie0708 wrote: »
    reading this has made me smile for the first time since the match.

Its been doing the rounds on twitter fir past month that one.

Funny all same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

He didn't start the match. He was under scrutiny at a time when Utd fans were getting desperate and, well, hating just about everyone.

That's all well and good but perhaps he could have controlled at least one ball, diving on the ground as if he'd been shot when there was a chance he was awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

Anyone going over for arsenal away looking to see where would be good for a few drinks before the game???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Welbeck has had his chances. Took some at Christmas and he looked like he was starting to prove me wrong.

He has been tosh ever since.

I don't get this his first touch will come and so will his finishing.

It has not come on at all in 3 years how all of a sudden is it just going to magically appear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Think of how many goals we'd score like today if we abandoned wingers and just played Mata Rooney and Kagawa

The problem is the midfield and defence, a lot of fans would still be calling for his head if we went with the above and lost 4-3 or something which is very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Devil08 wrote: »
    Disaster today

Both centre halves going off fcuked us up. The changes we had to make because of that were not ideal and had a big impact on our game.

Too much side ways passing again and not enough forward passing. I think that is more to do with our CMs than Moyes instructions. Cleverly is shocking and creates very little. Very rarely passes forward.

Weather was unreal and didn't help either. Ref let too much go.

People expect mata to come in and work miracles. He will need time. RVP and Rooney will need 3 or 4 more games to get back to normal. I know we can't afford that time but that's the reality.

There was a lot against us today so you need to weigh it all up. Seems to be the same theme here of 'get Moyes out' after a bad result without actually analysing the whole situation.

Good things come to those to wait. It's not easy to be patient but I strongly believe next season we will see the united we are used to. Few new faces will come in during the summer and Moyes is definitely working hard on that. He is going after the right players.

Stick with it lads. It's a marathon, this one might just take a year until we start to see the finish line!

The only way thats going to happen is if we get a new manager in. We can only judge Moyes on the season so far and to be brutally honest if we stay 7/8th in the league then he has to be sacked.

As Napoleon said "give me a lucky general over a good one".

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Think of how many goals we'd score like today if we abandoned wingers and just played Mata Rooney and Kagawa

The problem is the midfield and defence, a lot of fans would still be calling for his head if we went with the above and lost 4-3 or something which is very possible.

Why does he keep chopping and changing in midfield and defense though?
    We keep a clean sheet on Tuesday night and he makes an unforced change in the back 4, why? Give them a run of games together.

It also royally annoyed me when about 10mins from the end the camera cut to the Utd dugout and he was having a conference with about 4 coaches. Christ sakes man make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

The fact that Moyes spent January trying to sign Mata when it was the one position we weren't desperately short (what are Rooney, Kagawa & Januzaj for?) has shown him up even more IMO. Regardless of Mata being a great player and a superb addition to any team, he was not what we needed to save this season. Why not bid for a proven midfielder like Cabeye? Or a fullback? Or a centreback?

Moyes has shown little or no ability to fix problem areas and simply took the simple, and popular option, to appease unhappy fans. There are numerous players he could have purchased in the 10-20m region which would have been a significant improvement on what's there. And if Moyes thought Mata was going to help solve our problems, he's even more out of his depth than first feared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Brilliant comment on F365 about Moyes' focus on wing play. They basically said that giving Mata to Moyes is like giving your grandad a smartphone.

Over half Utd's attacks came down the left from Evra and Young.

Kind of shocking with the forward trio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

So annoyed and frustrated watching today's game. It's actually tiring me out watching United lately. There's flaws and problems with our team but those players are good enough to get top four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Said it a few weeks ago that Utd would do well to finish in top 6,signing Mata wasn't magically going to make us top 4 material,hate to say it but Liverpool are way ahead of us deservedly,It's silly to call for Moyes head every time we lose...God himself couldn't inspire some of the players this year:)...Fergie knew team had won a weak league last yr,City,Chelsea etc were poor by their standards,
    He was a tremendous manager but left team in a need of serious work.
    Anderson prime example of a lad let hang around for years without fulfilling his promise.Least Moyes is entitled to us until this time next year,he seems to realise that it will only be worth going for quality rather than quantity in transfer dealings in summer which is promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

If it gets to the point where 4th is totally out of the question, I'd honestly sack Moyes. Give a new manager the end of this season and the off season to sort things out. I expected changes but not this bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Lads, one of these days the random hoofs forward from Smalling or Evans are going to find their seemingly random targets, and then we will truly be onto something.

Same ****, different opposition.

Until then, however, I need a break. If what we do doesn't change, then I'm watching the same thing I've seen far too many times, and today I realised just how truly sick of watching it I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

The insistence on getting the ball out wide to our abysmal wingers is getting laughable. The current crop of players are more suited to a positionally flexible passing style. Leave fletcher and Carrick protect the back 4 and feed the ball forward to Mata/Rooney/Januaz/Kagawa.

I hate watching us play football these days. Even when we win it's usually due to individuals doing well.

I cannot remember a game this season home or away where we looked comfortable.

The season has been and continues to be a complete disaster :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Lads, one of these days the random hoofs forward from Smalling or Evans are going to find their seemingly random targets, and then we will truly be onto something.

Same ****, different opposition.

Until then, however, I need a break. If what we do doesn't change, then I'm watching the same thing I've seen far too many times, and today I realised just how truly sick of watching it I am.

If its not been hoofed its been passed sideways,Utd must been leading the stats table for passes sideways.

Smalling drove me mad today watching him just hoofing the ball up the field against the wind,one went out for a Stoke throw in the rest just ended up in Stoke getting the ball back.

If the team is going to have players like RVP,Rooney,Mata,Kagawa and Adnan in the team then the style of play has to change and play to their strengths and hoofing the ball up to them is not the way forward.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Smalling looks like a young player that really needs a rest/break.

are you guys also not concerned a player like Januzaj could suffer burn out being thrown in so deep, so early?

Sterling has been transformed by his break out of the team after he showed really concerning signs of fatigue, both physically and mentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Unfortunely, I am quite getting used to waking up on a Sunday morning and reading that we played rubbish again and lost.
    After last weeks win, the positivity that has come into the squad since matas arrival and our seemingly easy fixture list I thought we would get 4th but a las it was another false dawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭xtal191

Grim

BfaSrICIcAAddRX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Moyes wont get sacked as it would reflect badly on Fergie, who's still massively influential. He will get at least two full seasons. It's hard to be anything but frustrated with him. You can't really blame him though as he was simply never good enough to do the job required.

Compare him to Rodgers of Liverpool. Rodgers, with a similar profile, was coming to a big club with an average squad having never won a major trophy. Where Moyes and Rodgers significantly differ, however, is their approach to the job. Rodgers fully embraced the bigger stage last season despite having plenty of poor results and only finishing 7th. He instantly put his stamp on Liverpool, displayed real confidence in all interviews and, crucially, quickly identified and marginalized the players he knew weren't good enough. Despite the many losses, by this stage last season it was clear he knew what he was doing, and was shaping his team accordingly, going forward.

Sadly, Moyes has displayed no similar signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

So if Moyes went with 4-2-3-1 with Kagawa Mata and Rooney playing behind RVP and abandoned the wings, and we got hammered which is a possibility, what would the reaction be then?

It would be simple for a good manager to set his team up to cut off the supply from our poor midfield to the front 4 and then tear us apart with the defence we have.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Smalling looks like a young player that really needs a rest/break.

are you guys also not concerned a player like Januzaj could suffer burn out being thrown in so deep, so early?

Sterling has been transformed by his break out of the team after he showed really concerning signs of fatigue, both physically and mentally.

To me Smalling looks like a player who's terrified to make a mistake and he's not the only one either.

Januzaj has been used sparingly and has been one of the few things Moyes has got right so far. To be honest I'm glad he wasn't brought on today. The amount of fouling the ref was letting Stoke away with he would have certainly received "special" treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

JRant wrote: »
    To me Smalling looks like a player who's terrified to make a mistake .

classic signs a young player needing some time out.

You dont become ****e overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

SAF, Gill, Charlton & Woodward all attended the match. I would love to know what they were saying & thinking.

So if Moyes went with 4-2-3-1 with Kagawa Mata and Rooney playing behind RVP and abandoned the wings, and we got hammered which is a possibility, what would the reaction be then?

It would be simple for a good manager to set his team up to cut off the supply from our poor midfield to the front 4 and then tear us apart with the defence we have.

At least it would be worth a try. As it is opposition managers can/have/will easily nulify our forward play by stacking the wings.

Any time we've played with a bit of freedom in attack we've looked a different team. Sure we might lose a few but at least it would show us that Moyes sees where our strenghts are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Honestly, I could take a loss if we looked to be trying to fix problems. I could take "transition" if I knew we were trying to transition into something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Was Rooney any good cm?

Agueroooo wrote: »
    classic signs a young player needing some time out.

You dont become ****e overnight.

Possibly but then a run in a settled back 4 might also do him the world of good.

Hard one to call though. But you're right he doesn't look right and hasn't become shïte overnight.

case885 wrote: »
    Was Rooney any good cm?

In a word, no. Looked fairly cheesed off by the end of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

At the end of the day, it's the managers duty to his employers and the fans to motivate and INSPIRE his players.

I'm literally only after watching Cool Runnings on rte2. (great movie)....

Watching the bit where Junior is taunted by the German and Yul drags him to the toilets for a pep talk.

"What do you see when you look in the mirror?

I'll tell you what i see: I see pride, i see power, i see a bad ass mother who don't take no crap out of nobody"

That's what Manchester United needs. Someone with the ability to inspire a clearly talented bunch of men to play to the maximum of their ability on a regular basis.

Moyes couldn't inspire Zovirax to tackle a cold-sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

case885 wrote: »
    Was Rooney any good cm?

No not really,he looked like he had no interest in playing there.

• Advertisement

No not really,he looked like he had no interest in playing there.

He put the effort in but looked very frustrated at times. Probably stemmed from him having to hold in the middle while Cleverley ran around creating and offering nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Headshot wrote: »
    There goes 4th. This is what happens when you dont strengthen the right positions in the team.

Been something that has baffled me about United pretty much since Keane left... How you can go from having someone like that in your team to never even appearing to try and replace him is beyond me - even just for CL sakes.

I sympathise with United fans to be honest. Know all too well the impact that a bad appointment and decisions in the transfer market can have.

Being one the richest clubs in the world should mean you will be grand when a new manager eventually comes in - one that has actually won something in his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Haven't read down through the last few pages cos I'd just get addled. And i may well have a hiatus from the board to avoid the usual after a loss...
    Anyway, for what its worth, I thought we were playing well up until they scored and the injuries, where the game changed massively...very well in fact.

What we learned today is that everything that can go wrong, is going wrong this season...and that while the jury remains out on the Moyes' Manchester Uniteds football, it is a fact that Moyes' Manchester Utds pulling, dragging, hacking, and tracking of footballs pingponging about in the wind is certainty not up to Stokes.

Farcical game. Thought the ref did us no favours putting up with various antics on the part of Stoke not to mention the persistent fouling.

What Manchester United fans deserve from their manager:

And what David Moyes is giving:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

At the end of the day, it's the managers duty to his employers and the fans to motivate and INSPIRE his players.

I'm literally only after watching Cool Runnings on rte2. (great movie)....

Watching the bit where Junior is taunted by the German and Yul drags him to the toilets for a pep talk.

"What do you see when you look in the mirror?

I'll tell you what i see: I see pride, i see power, i see a bad ass mother who don't take no crap out of nobody"

That's what Manchester United needs. Someone with the ability to inspire a clearly talented bunch of men to play to the maximum of their ability on a regular basis.

Moyes couldn't inspire Zovirax to tackle a cold-sore.

Moyes faces a very different situation though.

You see, with Junior, no-one ever believed in him. His Dad decided he would work for a firm like Webster, Webster & Coen from an early age, it didn't matter what he wanted. When Yule brought Junior in front of the mirror, that was the first time someone stood by him and believed in him.

With Moyes, all the players he has have been there and done it, it's like the Swiss Bobsleigh team. All of a sudden they aren't performing. The same old "EINS ZWEI DREI" push start isn't working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Been something that has baffled me about United pretty much since Keane left... How you can go from having someone like that in your team to never even appearing to try and replace him is beyond me - even just for CL sakes.

I sympathise with United fans to be honest. Know all too well the impact that a bad appointment and decisions in the transfer market can have.

Being one the richest clubs in the world should mean you will be grand when a new manager eventually comes in - one that has actually won something in his career.

The damage could be done before that hopefully happens. We lose out on CL next season and we will find it difficult to attract players unless we break the wage structure. The players we need are at the top levels of the game and why would they leave their CL team for us?

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Moyes faces a very different situation though.

You see, with Junior, no-one ever believed in him. His Dad decided he would work for a firm like Webster, Webster & Coen from an early age, it didn't matter what he wanted. When Yule brought Junior in front of the mirror, that was the first time someone stood by him and believed in him.

With Moyes, all the players he has have been there and done it, it's like the Swiss Bobsleigh team. All of a sudden they aren't performing. The same old "EINS ZWEI DREI" push start isn't working.

Absolutely true but to my mind it's the players who don't believe in Moyes. And that's crucial too. You have to buy in to your managers ideas and pull in the same direction.

With SAF it was automatic respect - the man is a chronic winner.

Im not so sure the likes of Rooney, Kagawa, RVP look at Moyes and believe in him. Wouldn't blame them for thinking "you dont know what you're talking about, what have you ever won?".

It's a ridiculous and perverse situation to have a manager who's won nothing trying to coach/motivate/inspire players who have won loads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Headshot wrote: »
    The damage could be done before that hopefully happens. We lose out on CL next season and we will find it difficult to attract players unless we break the wage structure. The players we need are at the top levels of the game and why would they leave their CL team for us?

Never mind those guys, no hope in getting them anyway, but up and coming guys or excellent players at smaller clubs, what do we have to attract them that they can't get elsewhere.

We can't beat the other top sides on wages, best we can do is match them. We don't have a manager that they'd be excited to play for as we had in Ferguson, and it's Manchester, out of the other top sides, it's pretty much bottom of the list on places you'd want to live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

****ing sad day when the likes of stoke beat us.... and although we were away from home terrible result. .

If i was moyes i would be laying the law down and telling players you are playing for your livelihoods you play **** ill sell you and to all players not just midfield or defense....

That doesn't work these days i'm afraid. Players know that another club will pick them up and pay them silly money.

ericzeking wrote: »
    Haven't read down through the last few pages cos I'd just get addled. And i may well have a hiatus from the board to avoid the usual after a loss...
    Anyway, for what its worth, I thought we were playing well up until they scored and the injuries, where the game changed massively...very well in fact.

What we learned today is that everything that can go wrong, is going wrong this season...and that while the jury remains out on the Moyes' Manchester Uniteds football, it is a fact that Moyes' Manchester Utds pulling, dragging, hacking, and tracking of footballs pingponging about in the wind is certainty not up to Stokes.

Farcical game. Thought the ref did us no favours putting up with various antics on the part of Stoke not to mention the persistent fouling.

Good points. The Welbeck substitution was a very poor one. Especially with Fletcher on the bench. The whole team looked complegely disjointed after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Keep it going boys :D

BfaSrICIcAAddRX.jpg[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement