Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jesus you lot really are obsessed with United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Makes a change from you guys being obsessed with us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Loosing out on cl for one season doesn't sound too bad but what if you go 2? Then 3 even?
    If moyes fails to get top 4 he will be sacked beyond doubt, glazers will not risk there investment turning into liverpool.
    The level of money at stake is astronomical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

WLWLWL last 6 league games, doesn't make great reading

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

nuxxx wrote: »

I know what to back next game though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

We are consistently inconsistent.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

I know what to back next game though :D

Yep beat Fulham lose to Arsenal the trend will continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

As a arsenal fan I think some utd supporters are overreacting .
    From other people's point of view we see it different - yes utd are ****e this season but utd will be back as the biggest team in England .
    Moyes has the poison chalis and will need time .
    4th place is not out of their reach by any degree.
    3 or 4 new players next year and all guns will be firing .
    Look at arsenal , nothing absolutely nothing and beaten in the only final they did make it into in the last 8 years , but you have to stick with your team , right or wrong and they will come good .
    Do you really think the board / glazers are not 200 % aware of the situation ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Jesus you lot really are obsessed with United
    ollie1 wrote: »
    Makes a change from you guys being obsessed with us :D

fight4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In seasons gone by if we were a goal down with 10-15 minutes to go I be still thinking we can win the match.

Today I just knew deep down it was game up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

At least you know the next in sequence is a win

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

blingrhino wrote: »
    ?
    Out of interest, how many times this season have you sat down and watched a United game? It's easy as a non-United fan to look at the table and go "Give him time". But personally I'm not just basing it on league position or JUST the result; it's how we've looked while losing and the useless tactics he's employed. Watching us play, I'm not at all convinced time is what Moyes need or that he'll come good with time.

Arsenal backed Wenger cause he had won stuff and had proven himself, so when he goes through a barren patch, you know he is still a quality manager. Had we brought in Jose or someone like that, and the league position was bad, you'd still trust him cause he was a proven winner.

Moyes isn't. He hasn't got the proven trackrecord to make me think "Give him time to implement his vision"; the time he's had so far implies, to me, he has none. :(
    In seasons gone by if we were a goal down with 10-15 minutes to go I be still thinking we can win the match.

When i saw 7 mins extra time, I just thought "If this was Fergie, we'd get the goal". Now, it's just 7 minutes more misery :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Sirsok wrote: »
    A few Liverpool mates were complaining about Rodgers last season and I told them that he needs time and will get it right , which clearly he has...I felt the same about moyes, once he gets HIS team, but moyes isn't even trying to play proper football, it's very disheartening .

funnily enough, you've kind of got to the nub of it here IMO.

if you look at Rodgers' development at Liverpool, he has adapted as he's gone along. he came in talking about 'death by football'. it didn't work. we were terribly inconsistent. we just didn't have the players.

he then looked at his players (Suarez, Gerrard, a developing Sterling), then saw who was available in the transfer market (Coutinho, Sturridge) and reckoned counter attacking power would in fact be the best way for us to win games.

he learned what it took to win games using what was available to him and playing to their strengths.

Moyes needs to start adapting. I haven't seen any proof that he's even trying to. he has 3 of the best players in the world available to him today, with Carrick behind them, and he chooses to set out his team to be solid, and launch balls at them from random positions.

he is getting this Utd team to play like his Everton team.

he must adapt like Rodgers has, or he will rightly be let go. he has no divine right to keep a job he is sucking at, and showing zero signs of getting better at.

I agree with most of that write up but it applies to Fergie as well. It's not like this is the style of play Moyes bought to United, it was there last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Absolutely true but to my mind it's the players who don't believe in Moyes. And that's crucial too. You have to buy in to your managers ideas and pull in the same direction.

With SAF it was automatic respect - the man is a chronic winner.

Im not so sure the likes of Rooney, Kagawa, RVP look at Moyes and believe in him. Wouldn't blame them for thinking "you dont know what you're talking about, what have you ever won?".

It's a ridiculous and perverse situation to have a manager who's won nothing trying to coach/motivate/inspire players who have won loads.

This must be true to a degree, the manager has to have a plan, an ethos and a style that players believe in and you'd naturally wonder if the older heads in the squad are thinking "what can you teach us that our old boss couldn't teach much better" and yet Mata was willing to jump on board. Presumably he thought enough of what he heard when he was being sounded out. Of course it could be he just thinks Utd are very big and therefore success will follow soon even if its under a different manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No not really,he looked like he had no interest in playing there.

making the decision not to bring on Fletch for Jones seen very strange.If Fletch came on it would have left Rooney in his best position, instead Welbeck came on and it meant making numerous changes to the set up.

blingrhino wrote: »
    From other people's point of view we see it different - yes utd are ****e this season but utd will be back as the biggest team in England .
    Moyes has the poison chalis and will need time .
    4th place is not out of their reach by any degree.
    3 or 4 new players next year and all guns will be firing .
    Look at arsenal , nothing absolutely nothing and beaten in the only final they did make it into in the last 8 years , but you have to stick with your team , right or wrong and they will come good .
    Do you really think the board / glazers are not 200 % aware of the situation ?

There's a lot of truth in what your saying. From a fans pov he needs to somehow put a run together and finish 4th. If that happens and he can strenghten in the summer then things may change.

Moyes is not a bad manager, far from it, but he needs to start acting like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think the main problem for United is that the players don't rate Moyes or believe in his ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I agree with most of that write up but it applies to Fergie as well. It's not like this is the style of play Moyes bought to United, it was there last season.

The style is completely different to last season. Fergie had a winning style.

• Advertisement

5 wins and 5 losses in the last 10 in all competitions. One of the wins was against Sunderland when they lost the penalty shoot-out.

I said similar a few weeks ago and it looks the same watching highlights. There's that something missing (even aside from the tactics) that there isn't the constant "the bastards are going to score" at the back of my mind the entire time.

Out of interest, assuming 4th is gone, would yous want Thursday night football next season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I tried reasoning with Liverpool fans "rival fans will be hanging around when you're going through a bad time" get over it I said, suck it up I said...but no, I was obsessed, couldn't help myself, more concerned about Liverpool than my own team I was told.

Hope the hypocrisy ain't lost on you lads :pac:

If nothing else i'd like us to start winning more games so i can watch match of the day more often. Can't bring myself to turn it on after a miserable defeat like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I said similar a few weeks ago and it looks the same watching highlights. There's that somethin
    Out of interest, assuming 4th is gone, would yous want Thursday night football next season?

Honestly no. Hate saying that too in a way

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Said this at the time and I will say it again ye Should have went for Mourinho he would have taken the job in a heartbeat.
    People saying oh he wouldn't have stayed around for the long haul is bull****.
    He has said the opposite since he rejoined Chelsea.
    Moyes v Mourinho not even close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

We dont need 4th, were gonna win the champions league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

I find it funny when people say they cant watch their team when they lose..so you only support the team when were winning???? If thats how it is Man City, Bayern Munich or Real Madrid might be a good team to support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Every now and then there are posts saying we can still get 4th. I see no rationale for that at all

Said this at the time and I will say it again ye Should have went for Mourinho he would have taken the job in a heartbeat.
    People saying oh he wouldn't have stayed around for the long haul is bull****.
    He has said the opposite since he rejoined Chelsea.
    Moyes v Mourinho not even close

How do you know he would have taken the job in a heartbeat?

Following Fergie was always gonna be a minefield for the first manager.

The guy that follows Moyes however is the clever one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

rarnes1 wrote: »
    How do you know he would have taken the job in a heartbeat?

Following Fergie was always gonna be a minefield for the first manager.

The guy that follows Moyes however is the clever one.

maybe thats the plan, moyes is a scapegoat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I'm so fcuking sick of other team's fans coming in here and telling us that we are over reacting and that Moyes needs time. Fcuking hypocrites one and all.

I'm also sick of people not being able to spell the word lose. Christ you'd think they'd be used to spelling it by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Mourinho is a poison.

I wouldn't take him at Arsenal and I don't think a classy club like United should be associated with a man like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Blatter wrote: »
    The style is completely different to last season. Fergie had a winning style.

The tempo of the play is often similar over ninety minutes, but the areas the ball is being played in, and from, is different. The stats showing much less emphasis on passing through the centre of the pitch is the pertinent one.

Zaha had a great game when he came on for Cardiff today, setup 2 goals and looked lively. Has been treated treated disgracefully by Moyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Zaha had a great game when he came on for Cardiff today, setup 2 goals and looked lively. Has been treated treated disgracefully by Moyes

Didn't he ride his daughter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

That was absolutely putrid today but the only difference I can see from this year and last year is that van Persie hasn't hit top form yet and Carrick's form has been terrible and he's been very injury prone.

The reality is that we're still playing terrible football under a Scottish manager. The performances we're no better under Ferguson last year. Ferguson clearly was able to inspire these guys something Moyes hasn't been able to do. I'd happily take 6th place now as the Europa League is a dead duck and this squad needs a massive overhaul. It's unfortunate to say but I think Moyes is going to need next season too to really find his way with this side.

I'd be much happier if we were losing but playing some good stuff but we aren't. Guys like Welbeck, Cleverley, Smalling, Evans, Hernandez, Rafael, Carrick, Valencia etc are all questionable moving forward. You have to question as to why Moyes isn't just admitting that we're not getting it done and it's up to him to fix it. There was always going to be a huge hangover as soon as Fergie left but Moyes exacerbates it with his delusional we played well stuff.

Fergie left a side of Champions but obviously a very fragile and feeble bunch too. Moyes would really want a miracle now to turn this team around. We buy Mata and then play him on the right of a 4-4-2. It's crazy stuff really.

The reality is that we can't sack Moyes now. Even if we finish 10th he can't be sacked. If he's sacked soon the next guy will be a dead man walking. The board obviously supports him and I imagine Ferguson is a huge voice in there giving him 100% support. I just hope Moyes actually really knows what he's doing. Whatever about looking to the long term; we need to start making progress in the short term.

I hope moving forward we can switch to a Chelsea like 4-2-3-1 with Januzaj, Rooney and Mata as an attacking trio with RVP up top. Sit Carrick and Fellaini in behind. We need to start trying something different. I'll give Moyes my 100% backing but only if I can see changes in the team, the way we play and the work rate of some of the players because let's not forget the players are as responsible here too. Some really awful performances this season from some of the team.

scudzilla wrote: »

He can ride who he wants if he plays like he did today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

On the Mourinho thing. I thought for most of last year that he really wanted the United job. This was down to the way he was talking up the club and Fergie in the press conferences and in particular after they beat us in the CL and how he spoke after that. However, when it was revealed Fergie let him know he was going at Xmas it made a bit more sense. He was just getting in comments before he goes, basically acknowledging what his friend had done in football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

He can ride who he wants if he plays like he did today

Just looking at Zaha today and the difference between him and Valencia, it's frightening Moyes loaned him out and persists with Valencia, gets his head up, actually crosses the ball instead of driving it as hard as he can. Sad just sad.

scudzilla wrote: »

That was a made up twitter joke. He's never even met the girl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

On the Mourinho thing. I thought for most of last year that he really wanted the United job. This was down to the way he was talking up the club and Fergie in the press conferences and in particular after they beat us in the CL and how he spoke after that. However, when it was revealed Fergie let him know he was going at Xmas it made a bit more sense. He was just getting in comments before he goes, basically acknowledging what his friend had done in football

I don't think it was a very well kept secret that Ferguson was finishing up that year. He had already given an interview mentioning Moyes as the man he'd like to replace him. When I heard he was leaving and Moyes was taking over I wasn't surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just looking at Zaha today and the difference between him and Valencia, it's frightening Moyes loaned him out and persists with Valencia, gets his head up, actually crosses the ball instead of driving it as hard as he can. Sad just sad.

He seemed to play very direct today as well,just took on his man,hopefully he can keep putting in performances like that for Cardiff.

We need West Brom to get a result against Liverpool tomorrow. If we went 9 points behind it would be a long way back. Its still achievable but we will need to win 12 or 13 from the remaining 14 games which at the moment looks unlikely.

We need West Brom to get a result against Liverpool tomorrow. If we went 9 points behind it would be a long way back. Its still achievable but we will need to win 12 or 13 from the remaining 14 games which at the moment looks unlikely.

Arsenal were well behind in February/March last year so I'd take that as inspiration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

ericzeking wrote: »
    Haven't read down through the last few pages cos I'd just get addled. And i may well have a hiatus from the board to avoid the usual after a loss...
    Anyway, for what its worth, I thought we were playing well up until they scored and the injuries, where the game changed massively...very well in fact.

What we learned today is that everything that can go wrong, is going wrong this season...and that while the jury remains out on the Moyes' Manchester Uniteds football, it is a fact that Moyes' Manchester Utds pulling, dragging, hacking, and tracking of footballs pingponging about in the wind is certainty not up to Stokes.

Farcical game. Thought the ref did us no favours putting up with various antics on the part of Stoke not to mention the persistent fouling.

Thank god someone else thinks like this. The weather destroyed that game. We play there in that weather once a year. Stoke probably have over a dozen games like that. No wonder they handled it better.

Blaming the weather. This is what it has come to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Arsenal were well behind in February/March last year so I'd take that as inspiration.

To be fair,Arsenal went on an unbelievable run after Xmas last year,and were best team in Premiership in calendar year of 2013.

To be fair,Arsenal went on an unbelievable run after Xmas last year,and were best team in Premiership in calendar year of 2013.

Yes but before February, they were arguably equally as poor as United are this season.

In January of the New Year, Arsenal got 5 points from a possible 15.

Then they spurred on in February.

If United could get the same 4 defenders out every week, I think their fortunes would change dramatically.

Liverpool have City, Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle at Anfield in their last 7 and some relegation candidates and maybe one of those can pull off a once off great performance. Tough games there, it's theirs to lose at the moment but heads could be lost during that run in.

It's not over until all games are played on the last day, our chances are very slim but anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looking ahead to next weeks game,after watching Fulham playing there on MOTD

When was the last time they won at OT ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Blaming the weather. This is what it has come to.

For this one game, yeah. Don't be pretending the wind didn't destroy that game. The ball was blowing off the corner spot. Cry about Moyes all ya like but today was the one time I think he is justified to use the word Unlucky.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement