Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

GSPfan wrote: »
    For this one game, yeah. Don't be pretending the wind didn't destroy that game. The ball was blowing off the corner spot. Cry about Moyes all ya like but today was the one time I think he is justified to use the word Unlucky.

Knowing the weather was an issue, Moyes should have been instructing them to play a shorter, ground-based game. Instead, he insisted on continuing a crossing and lobbing game. Not unlucky. Poor tactical management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Looking ahead to next weeks game,after watching Fulham playing there on MOTD

When was the last time they won at OT ?

Ha. All those records will be wiped out this season. The next United manager wont have to worry about unbeaten records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Augmerson wrote: »
    I don't think it was a very well kept secret that Ferguson was finishing up that year. He had already given an interview mentioning Moyes as the man he'd like to replace him. When I heard he was leaving and Moyes was taking over I wasn't surprised.

make a load on it then??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Liverpool have City, Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle at Anfield in their last 7 and some relegation candidates and maybe one of those can pull off a once off great performance. Tough games there, it's theirs to lose at the moment but heads could be lost during that run in.

It's not over until all games are played on the last day, our chances are very slim but anything is possible.

Yeah, they could lose 4th spot. But not to us.

David Moyes has put me in the disgusting position of rooting for Tim Sherwood to get fourth spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ha. All those records will be wiped out this season. The next United manager wont have to worry about unbeaten records.

Found out 1962/63 season they won 2 nil at OT

• Advertisement

Knowing the weather was an issue, Moyes should have been instructing them to play a shorter, ground-based game. Instead, he insisted on continuing a crossing and lobbing game. Not unlucky. Poor tactical management.

How many times did Evra get in around the full backs? 6? 7? I don't know if you are calling this crossing? Thought we mixed it up well today.

Anyway I'm not gonna argue cause it's pointless but I'm defo not gonna chant Moyes Out on this performance. Deflection, injury, injury, fouling, referee, weather. Lots of things went wrong.

How many times did Evra get in around the full backs? 6? 7? I don't know if you are calling this crossing? Thought we mixed it up well today.

Anyway I'm not gonna argue cause it's pointless but I'm defo not gonna chant Moyes Out on this performance. Deflection, injury, injury, fouling, referee, weather. Lots of things went wrong.

Yes, but it's every game now that we get excuses. bad deflections, bad refs, bad this, bad that. Every. single. game. It gets to the stage where enough excuses are enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

So its a banker then.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Yes, but it's every game now that we get excuses. bad deflections, bad refs, bad this, bad that. Every. single. game. It gets to the stage where enough excuses are enough :(

I know. And every other week i'm there pulling my hair out and biting my tongue about Moyes but I really thought today was a freak day.
    I'm giving him a pass on this one game.

Looking at Match of the Day there and not a bit of wind in any other stadium. Hope Stoke get relegated. Hate the team and now the stadium.

Oh just to add aswell,

I hate Mark Hughes. The worst kind of a Moaner. Thinks everyone is out to cheat him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Oh just to add aswell,

I hate Mark Hughes. The worst kind of a Moaner. Thinks everyone is out to cheat him.

Me too just really dislikable guy he seems to be the only ex player i really dont like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

Oh just to add aswell,

hate hughes- only a c*nt. prob the only ex player i hate

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

sky88 wrote: »
    Me too just really dislikable guy he seems to be the only ex player i really dont like

Paul Ince?

5starpool wrote: »
    Paul Ince?

dont mind ince to be honest. hughes is just a miserable pr!ck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I'll always love Mark Hughes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ehh, 2003?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/3206852.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Was delighted when Fergie got rid of the guvner, and Fergie showed him who the governor was.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

just looked at the lineup....djemba-djemba replaced by Bellion...bad times! but i suppose ruud van n and ronaldo make up for it :)

When I think of Mark Hughes I think of Chelsea.
    When I think of Paul Ince I think of Liverpool.

Have no love for either of them.

i think my hatred for hughes really started when he started managing city to be honest....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

keano2012 wrote: »
    i think my hatred for hughes really started when he started managing city to be honest....

Hatred? You hate Schmeichel and Andy Cole too? What about Law?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Another awful performance. That's it. More chance of us winning the CL than finishing 4th. We only need to win 3 games to win it. Way more doable to fluke that than get 5th in the league. Cos 4 is beyond us and not only that we don't deserve it.

I'm out til the CL games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Trilla wrote: »

I don't think he said that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Paul Ince....to use a Dunphyism "Not for me baby"

Posed in a United shirt while still a West Ham player, went on to score against United for Liverpool and said "I hope that costs them the title", I'm pretty sure he had a pop at Liverpool too after he was moved on, and to top it all off the recent revelations about his homophobic comments towards Graeme Le Saux. Seemed to love antagonizing his former teams, a questionable character to say the least.

Mark Hughes, just for that last minute season changing equalizer against Oldham in the cup semi final....United legend for me.

yep hatred. Andy cole was 34 and big pete was 39 at the end of their careers when city were a nothing club.
    hughes managed city when they were starting to be rivals to utd. anyway i just said i hated him when he started managing city not because he managed city

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I don't think he said that :)

He said he hated Hughes when he became City boss, meh I don't care... I think it's very harsh and silly.

Man was a brilliant player for us in his two stints at OT.

keano2012 wrote: »
    anyway i just said i hated him when he started managing city not because he managed city

Ok, why then?

lordgoat wrote: »
    Another awful performance. That's it. More chance of us winning the CL than finishing 4th. We only need to win 3 games to win it. Way more doable to fluke that than get 5th in the league. Cos 4 is beyond us and not only that we don't deserve it.

Last 16 so we need to win at least 4 so no chance either. ...can you imagine that midfield against real or barca or munich...humiliated

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

lordgoat wrote: »

Technically ye don't need to win any game, just favourable scoring draws and be better at penalties in the final than ye have recently.

• Advertisement

"keano2012 wrote: »
    was a c*nt and is c*nt now...

You should read the charter dude :p

I'm done with this one :)

You should read the charter dude :p

I'm done with this one :)

i will ya later. g'luck to ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

"I don't know what we have to do to win. I thought we played well." well today. I thought we were the better team."

"We got to the byline 8/9 times and never found the ball. There wasn't a lot that I can say that we didnt do well."

Okay, I have been a supporter of Moyes all along but comments like these are infuriating. It makes my blood boil that he can be so blissfully ignorant to keep harping on all the time that we played well, got unlucky, etc. Today we were arguably unlucky when you take into account the injuries, awful refereeing decisions, and the stoke weather, but he can not come out and say we played well after that performance.

The man is blindly following a 4-4-2 template with an emphasis on crossing and long balls. Any other manager would see that he has 4 fantastic talents to sit in behind the striker, and so would use that to the benefit of the team. Moyes sees this, randomly picks one of them, and ensures that the ball never goes through him but instead gets brought to the sacred byline by our incompetent wingers. You don't get points for reaching the byline David. Maybe Fergie forgot to tell you that.

There are two things that are obvious with the current squad, minus the fact that it needs new faces.
    The first one being, as I already mentioned, the fact that we have an abundance of #10's in the squad. Clearly any manager who plays to squads strengths would try to base his tactics around this fact.
    Correct action: 4-2-3-1 with focus on passing through the middle
    Moyes:Focus on a 4-4-2 formation with focus on long balls, width, and crosses from the wings
    Second one being that the players we have clearly thrive on keeping the ball on the ground. RVP has never been great at heading. Rooney isn't great in the air. Kagawa is short. Januzaj is short.
    Correct action: Keep the ball on the ground.
    Moyes: Long balls, hoofing from the defence, crosses from the wings

It's absolutely baffling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Danger781 wrote: »
    Okay, I have been a supporter of Moyes all along but comments like these are infuriating. It makes my blood boil that he can be so blissfully ignorant to keep harping on all the time that we played well, got unlucky, etc. Today we were arguably unlucky when you take into account the injuries, awful refereeing decisions, and the stoke weather, but he can not come out and say we played well after that performance.

The man is blindly following a 4-4-2 template with an emphasis on crossing and long balls. Any other manager would see that he has 4 fantastic talents to sit in behind the striker, and so would use that to the benefit of the team. Moyes sees this, randomly picks one of them, and ensures that the ball never goes through him but instead gets brought to the sacred byline by our incompetent wingers. You don't get points for reaching the byline David. Maybe Fergie forgot to tell you that.

There are two things that are obvious with the current squad, minus the fact that it needs new faces.
    The first one being, as I already mentioned, the fact that we have an abundance of #10's in the squad. Clearly any manager who plays to squads strengths would try to base his tactics around this fact.
    Moyes:Focus on a 4-4-2 formation with focus on long balls, width, and crosses from the wings
    Second one being that the players we have clearly thrive on keeping the ball on the ground. RVP has never been great at heading. Rooney isn't great in the air. Kagawa is short. Januzaj is short.

Januzaj is not short, he looks about 6 foot to me.Good bit taller than Rooney.

Looks only a bit shorter than Wellbeck and Van Persie in most pics I have seen of him, both of them are 6-1 -6'2 ish.

Van Persie is quiet good in the air though when he wants to be, like Henry he prefers everything to his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Utd fans bad mouthing Sparky??!?! Only thing i can think to justify that is that the posters in question aren't old enough to legally hit Coppers on a saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Moyes is a top, top manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Our Year wrote: »
    Moyes is a top, top manager.

He a top manager not a top top manager.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Utd fans bad mouthing Sparky??!?! Only thing i can think to justify that is that the posters in question aren't old enough to legally hit Coppers on a saturday.

Well you're wrong. You'll be claiming you're a REAL fan next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I'm so fcuking sick of other team's fans coming in here and telling us that we are over reacting and that Moyes needs time. Fcuking hypocrites one and all.
    So it's unreasonable to at least wait until Moyes get close to his first 11 all fit before writing him off?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Arsenal were well behind in February/March last year so I'd take that as inspiration.

I hate these lazy posts, arsenal this time last year had 41 points - a point behind spurs but played a game more. Taking inspiration from a 4 point gap when we could have a 10 point gap come this evening is really clutching at straws

Another damning statistic - we are 9th in the form table behind Crystal palace and Sunderland..

Losses this season so far as man u manager = 8
    Losses last season as everton manager = 7

Everton after playing the same amount of games last season had 41 points compared to our current 40 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭bassy

Never liked Hughes once he got the city job and taught he had landed on the golden bank of big managers,he was a smirky sneery git at city,but he was soon found out as a lower club manager and that's all he ever will be.

Best laugh of all was Mancini was put In he's place while Hughes was still city manager,loved it absoluey loved it.

also he was a pain to sir Alex in he's playing days I believe.
    Hughes can join keane as bitter twats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Danger781 wrote: »

That's all well and good but you need 2 good defensive midfielders to play that formation effectively. I guess you need at least 1 good 1 to play most formations but we are sadly lacking any good DMF's.

Carrick is the best we have and he's mediocre at best. He's pushing 33 as well. He's not going to find top form again and injuries are only going to increase.

Jones is simply not good enough and lacks any creativity or ball control. He's clumsy. Possibly a good future CB. Only time will tell.

Fellaini wants to play that role but it's pretty obvious he's not up to the task either. He's far too slow, doesn't press and close gaps quick enough and doesn't use his physicality to his advantage anywhere near enough. He could be effective alongside a world class DMF that makes up for his weaknesses.

The less said about Tom Cleverly the better. Flogging a dead horse.

It's utterly depressing looking at how good Paul Pogba is compared to any of them. Another huge mistake by Fergusson.

The best way for the team to set up at the moment I think is with a more traditional Fergie style 4-4-2 until we address these weaknesses. We need to buy 2 Yaya Toures in the summer.

I think Mata could play the Scholes role in CM with Carrick as the defensive midfielder and Mata as the central creative playmaker that everything goes through. He can also press forward and link up with Wayne centrally and still have good outlets on the wing. Mata is totally wasted on the wing.

I'd love to see something like this. It's still going to be weak defensively but that can only be addressed with signings. We might as well play to our strengths until then.

RVP

Rooney
    Januzaj
    Mata---Nani
    Carrick
    Evra-Vidic-Evans-Rafael

The big question is how good does the team have to be for Moyes to win the league with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Pyjamarama wrote: »

Just because he was a great player for us doesn't mean we have to like the person who he is now, awful manager managing an awful team,
    Pity city sacked him cause they'd be shîte now with him still in charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

For United Mark Hughes was a brilliant no 10. How can you hate a former United great? That goal he scored against Barcelona in the Cup Winners Cup final from the sideline. You probably hate Roy Keane too?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Things Moyes is not responsible for (ie things that would have affected Fergie too)

Conditions
    Injuries
    Amazing strikes
    Deflections

All in all Fergie's ManYoo would have conceded two there

Things Moyes is responsible for

Crappy attacking play
    Not playing to his teams strengths

Fergie would have probably won that 3-2.

Fergie's ManYoo always crossed a lot but usually from near positions on the edge of the box. Moyes does seem obsessed with getting to the byline and whipping huge balls in. Not really good enough given the players he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im watching sunday supplement here at the moment and just cant believed Moyes gets away without any criticism. The architect of our downfall, how the **** does he get away with it? If it was a foreign manager id bet he wouldnt get away with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Any idea on Jones and Evans?

As an Arsenal fan I'd love if the former was still sidelined in a fortnight. I'm guessing that only Evans will be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Headshot wrote: »
    Im watching sunday supplement here at the moment and just cant believed Moyes gets away without any criticism. The architect of our downfall, how the **** does he get away with it? If it was a foreign manager id bet he wouldnt get away with it

Why does the manager always get the blame? So of the players should be ashamed of themselves with them performances there producing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Just imagine if Rafa Benitez was performing like this for Liverpool. He would be castigated at every single opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Its a shame RTE couldn't afford to keep the Premier league coverage, by far the best post match analysis on tv even if commentary was meh.

It suits a lot of people on a lot of levels to have Moyes at the club right now.

ABUs are thrilled at how we've taken a nosedive this season, and can see the major difference between this and last is Moyes. Look at how quick non-United fans are to come running in telling us to give him time and be patient. There's a reason for that.

Meanwhile, the media are getting story after story; Moyes is a quote machine for all the wrong reasons, turmoil is an easier sell than consistency, and they will attract wider audiences by being able to write about United's downfall without actually attacking a major contributor to that fall. They'll want him to stay as long as possible, so will attack United but make sure they don't heap too much pressure on him all at once.

The sad fact is that if he goes, it will be the non-United fans who suffer the biggest disappointments...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement