Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Agueroooo wrote: »
    the most sense I have read about Moyes/Utd and coming from a City fan:eek:

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1uig2l/question_is_david_moyes_underperforming_as/ceinr8j

Nice! 17 likes, come on Headshot make it 18 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Can't wait to win the Champions League \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Trilla wrote: »
    Nice! 17 likes, come on Headshot make it 18 :p

Come back when you're sitting on top of the perch

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

KH25 wrote: »
    Where does the team go after last night? To me the players look like they have no belief anymore. Moyes looks like he's run out of ideas and is just going with the only plan he has.

For me, and I doubt Moyes will see it the same way, but for me these things have to happen:

-Tom Cleverley must be dropped. I am not someone who thinks we should sell Tom, but the lad is absolutely shot of confidence and is detrimental to the team at the moment.

-Anderson must take his place, hold on! HOLD ON! Don't hit quote and have a go at me yet, I know Anderson is crap. BUT, when Anderson is crap, he is crap in a positive way. He misplaces a pass, but its a forward pass. He is willing to take the ball from deep and attack a team, this is what we need, we should be patient with his crapness and hope his positivity rubs off on the other lads.

-We should pick two CBs and play them every game until one is injured, and I think Vidic should be one of them, and maybe Smalling the other. Evans for me is prone to a lapse and is poor defending crosses, which has been killing us lately.

-I think its time to start Januzaj every game. A lot of responsibility for one so young, but **** it, if you're good enough you're old enough, and he is.

-Drop Valencia. He doesn't believe in himself so how can his team-mates? We can't afford his "dance of indecision" he does when he can't make up his mind and then just drills it low to the first defender. He does good when he doesn't think, give him a few weeks on the bench to think about not thinking.

-Tell Evra to do one. Either get a new left back or play Buttner, at least when Buttner plays crap he gives it his best shot, Evra seems like he couldn't give a ****.

-Work on set-pieces, how many corners did Spurs give us? It was a miracle Vidic got his head on one last night because by and large we never score from them and we concede at least a goal a game because of them, sort that **** out.

-STOP GOING TO THE WING EVERY BLOODY TIME. The predictability of our game at the moment is sickening.

-A new sig for Mikeyt086. I've sorted that, I've done my part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Mikeyt with the signature of the season! JANUZAJ, JANUZAJ, JANUZAJJJJ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

After the Diouf and Bebe sigs I don't know whether its good or not

IvySlayer wrote: »
    After the Diouf and Bebe sigs I don't know whether its good or not

They were made to request as a piss take. I think You'll find I've been rocking Nemanja since 2008. Make no mistake, it's a huge moment for Adnan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Mikey a good few points i agree with especially Anderson getting a shot.

I totally disagree about Janjuaz he is still young and it's easy burn him out. I am happy with how Moyes had handled him so far and hope he keeps doing the same. Zaha should be given more games instead of Janjuaz starting every game.

Also Evans is a superior defender than Smalling at this point in time. Smalling is just as prone to errors and his distribution is awful. Evan's is fantastic at coming out of defence with the ball. But Cleverley ruins it by dropping deep and passing it back the way forcing him to hoof it instead of building attacks from deep.

• Advertisement

Let's see if we can go a whole thread without a mod warning!!

wait for it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭billyhead

v3ttel wrote: »
    Fantastic piece. Well thought out points and a realistic view of what is going on and how long it might take for him to get things right.

Great read. We should stand by the club and also manager and team no matter what is happening or where we are currently positioned in the league/ The reason most fans are pissed atm is that we have been so used to success. All glory hunters who are overly critical of the situation can **** off and support city or chelsea

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Mikey a good few points i agree with especially Anderson getting a shot.

I totally disagree about Janjuaz he is still young and it's easy burn him out. I am happy with how Moyes had handled him so far and hope he keeps doing the same. Zaha should be given more games instead of Janjuaz starting every game.

Also Evans is a superior defender than Smalling at this point in time. Smalling is just as prone to errors and his distribution is awful. Evan's is fantastic at coming out of defence with the ball. But Cleverley ruins it by dropping deep and passing it back the way forcing him to hoof it instead of building attacks from deep.

I agree about Januzaj but I have no faith in anyone else to take on the responsibility when he doesn't play.

As for Evans, yes he is good at coming out of defence but I think he is weak in the air from crosses, we look so vulnerable to the cross, that would be one of Chris Smalling's strengths. Also, Evans has the common denominator of games we have lost to soft goals, while not the source of the problem, I can't help but feel he has contributed to it. I just think we need a shakeup at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Also Evans is a superior defender than Smalling at this point in time. Smalling is just as prone to errors and his distribution is awful.
    Smalling at CB is a completely different player to Smalling at RB. Not much in it between him and Evans IMO.
    2 quality defenders.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

billyhead wrote: »
    Great read. We should stand by the club and also manager and team no matter what is happening or where we are currently positioned in the league/ The reason most fans are pissed atm is that we have been so used to success. All glory hunters who are overly critical of the situation can **** off and support city or chelsea

Who was it asked a while back about this sort of "real fans" post and tried to say it wasn't being used as an argument? We'll here it is....

Cause I read this as "bury your head in the sand or you are not a real fan".:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

billyhead wrote: »

Cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

With Fellaini and RVP out its pretty much the same team from 11/12 season.

I have stressed so many times about importance of bringing in new faces each season. New ideas, new approach(if needed), players getting kick in backside from new players taking their place.

For too long we sat still admired ourselfs in the mirror and thought everything was Hunky Dory.

You would think humiliation in Cl final was a wake up call? "Noooo, we Are fine"

You would think not getting out of a group in CL, a very easy group would set alarm bells? "Not at all"

You would think blowing 8 point lead in April would maybe switch on the lightbulb(Fixed with RVP signing but not all)? "Robbed so we were, robbed".

You would think something aint right totally collapsing in 2nd round of CL tie at HOME losing 1-0 advantage (down to 10 men or not) depending on a 39yo? "Giggs had great game and Welbeck played blinder running around like headless chicken trying win ball back"

For too long we have said "Ah sure we are fine" "we won the league last season" "we got to CL only few season ago" "ah we only lost league on goal difference, so what if we totally blew it we were unlucky"

We tried to hide from the obvious. Once we were getting over the line nobody gave 2 ****s. Everyone just expected a magic wand to appear and everything will be OK.

We are now left with the biggest mess since the 80's, my older folk will say Munich and yet in reality we have nobody to blame but us the fans.

You are seriously underestimating the squad we currently have.

David de Gea - One of the best keepers in the league, if not the best.

Rafael - a very good right back but has a lot of injury issues.

Patrice Evra - needs to go

Phil Jones - has shown great potential to be a great player for us.

Rio Ferdinand - over the hill and will almost certainly leave in May.

Jonny Evans - an above average centre back, good squad player at least.

Anderson - was an OK squad player over the years but isn't even that anymore, needs to go.

Wayne Rooney - a world class player

Ryan Giggs -probably his last season

Chris Smalling - has shown in the past that he has great potential, not a great couple of years for him but he's still young.

Anders Lindegaard - adequate 2nd choice keeper

Javier Hernández - a great poacher, has by far the best conversion rate in the league over the last few years. Good enough to be at the club.

Nemanja Vidić - still a good player but has lots of injury issues, could be his last season at the club.

Michael Carrick - worth keeping around.

Nani - One of the most talented wingers in the world. Injury issues have plagued him over the last 2 years or so. Still young enough and worth keeping around.

Ashley Young - has had injury issues but hasn't been good enough overall for United regardless. Was a very good player at Villa and has shown flashes at Utd. Not the worst player to have in a squad game regardless of the stick he gets but when you look at the money he's on, it's just not good enough. Could see it being difficult enough to shift him as teams would be nearly mad to pay him half of what he's on at Utd.

Danny Welbeck - has shown good potential and at a minimum is a good squad player.

Robin van Persie - world class

Fábio - has seemed to decline tragically since 2011. People can go on about him not getting a decent chance this season and they may have a point but he still struggled to be a regular in an awful QPR side last season.

Tom Cleverley - again, despite the stick he gets, I find it hard to say he's not good enough to be a squad player.

Darren Fletcher - has played at a surprisingly decent level since returning. Don't have a huge problem with keeping him around as long as his wages aren't too high.

Antonio Valencia - hasn't played consistently well since 2011/12, I've lost patience and he's one I'd be looking to getting rid of.

Shinji Kagawa - Very talented but hasn't worked out at Utd for various reasons, as of yet. Within the right system, it's known what he can achieve.

Alexander Büttner - poor as a left back, decent going forward. Not what we need in the squad.

Wilfried Zaha - talented young player that needs to be sent out on loan.

Marouane Fellaini - discussed yesterday, most agree he can be good enough for Utd.

Nick Powell - promising young player

Adnan Januzaj - very exciting prospect, incredible to think he's probably in our top 3 players of the season so far along with Rooney and de Gea.

There's 28 players there and there's a couple of other young players that I've left out as I don't know much about. I think the squad is a bit bloated as it is.

A lot of the players I'm happy to keep, in and around 18 I make it. That to me isn't a 'mess' and certainly isn't anything like the 80's. The squad needs investment for sure, most notably at left back, 2 x CM and a winger. That's 4 players, it's not the major surgery you are making it out to be. When you look at it in black and white, the squad isn't in terrible shape, there are a lot of very good players there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Blatter wrote: »

There's 28 players there and there's a couple of other young players that I've left out as I don't know much about. I think the squad is a bit bloated as it is.

A lot of the players I'm happy to keep, in and around 18 I make it. That to me isn't a 'mess' and certainly isn't anything like the 80's. The squad needs investment for sure, most notably at left back, 2 x CM and a winger. That's 4 players, it's not the major surgery you are making it out to be. When you look at it in black and white, the squad isn't in terrible shape, there are a lot of very good players there.

would agree with you on everyone but would say we need a backup proper RB too or at the very least a young player to step up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

David de Gea - One of the best keepers in the league, if not the best.

Rafael - a very good right back but has a lot of injury issues.

Phil Jones - has shown great potential to be a great player for us.

Jonny Evans - an above average centre back, good squad player at least.

Anderson - was an OK squad player over the years but isn't even that anymore, needs to go.

Wayne Rooney - a world class player

Chris Smalling - has shown in the past that he has great potential, not a great couple of years for him but he's still young.

Anders Lindegaard - adequate 2nd choice keeper

Javier Hernández - a great poacher, has by far the best conversion rate in the league over the last few years. Good enough to be at the club.

Nemanja Vidić - still a good player but has lots of injury issues, could be his last season at the club.

Michael Carrick - worth keeping around.

Nani - One of the most talented wingers in the world. Injury issues have plagued him over the last 2 years or so. Still young enough and worth keeping around.

Ashley Young - has had injury issues but hasn't been good enough overall for United regardless. Was a very good player at Villa and has shown flashes at Utd. Not the worst player to have in a squad game regardless of the stick he gets but when you look at the money he's on, it's just not good enough. Could see it being difficult enough to shift him as teams would be nearly mad to pay him half of what he's on at Utd.

Danny Welbeck - has shown good potential and at a minimum is a good squad player.

Robin van Persie - world class

Fábio - has seemed to decline tragically since 2011. People can go on about him not getting a decent chance this season and they may have a point but he still struggled to be a regular in an awful QPR side last season.

Tom Cleverley - again, despite the stick he gets, I find it hard to say he's not good enough to be a squad player.

Darren Fletcher - has played at a surprisingly decent level since returning. Don't have a huge problem with keeping him around as long as his wages aren't too high.

Antonio Valencia - hasn't played consistently well since 2011/12, I've lost patience and he's one I'd be looking to getting rid of.

Shinji Kagawa - Very talented but hasn't worked out at Utd for various reasons, as of yet. Within the right system, it's known what he can achieve.

Alexander Büttner - poor as a left back, decent going forward. Not what we need in the squad.

Wilfried Zaha - talented young player that needs to be sent out on loan.

Marouane Fellaini - discussed yesterday, most agree he can be good enough for Utd.

Nick Powell - promising young player

Adnan Januzaj - very exciting prospect, incredible to think he's probably in our top 3 players of the season so far along with Rooney and de Gea.

Van Persie is your only world class number 9, and he is a crock. Most world class squads have at least two great number 9's. But man utd don't need them? One crock of a great no 9 will do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Van Persie is your only world class number 9, and he is a crock. Most world class squads have at least two great number 9's. But man utd don't need them? One crock of a great no 9 will do?

You not rate Rooney ?

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    You not rate Rooney ?

He seems to have developed into a number 10 these days, no? Playing off the main striker?

Your noisy neighbors have four top class strikers. Why don't united need more firepower? In your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Aiden McGeady to Everton! Turning into an irish team.

Wouldn't Aiden be good for Manchester?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Any transfers yet?

No?

Im outta here

Thought I wandered into the Newcastle thread for a minute. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Neeson wrote: »
    Aiden McGeady to Everton! Turning into an irish team.

Wouldn't Aiden be good for Manchester?

Yes, I'm sure every city of Manchester would want an Irish Aiden.

He seems to have developed into a number 10 these days, no? Playing off the main striker?

Your noisy neighbors have four top class strikers. Why don't united need more firepower? In your opinion?
    Rooney can play as a 9 or 10.
    RVP,Rooney,Chico and Welbeck are as good a front 4 as most teams have imo.

Rooney can play as a 9 or 10.
    RVP,Rooney,Chico and Welbeck are as good a front 4 as most teams have imo.

A great crock, great player, good and average. Have your standards dropped or something?

How about Cole, Yorke, OGS, Sheringham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Good post Blatter. Sick of hearing people telling me our squad is rubbish. Its not at all

Do they? Start with Bayern & Madrid and enlighten me.

A great crock, great player, good and average. Have your standards dropped or something?

How about Cole, Yorke, OGS, Sheringham?
    current front 4 are better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

LOL

• Advertisement

No way, individually they just fall short of them but Yorke Cole Teddy and Ole all played well together!

Take them any day over Welbeck Chico RVP and Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Do they? Start with Bayern & Madrid and enlighten me.

Or Arsenal. Or Chelsea. Or Dortmund.

Such a load of BS.

LOL!

LOL!

Great input. Have you any thing to actually say why you think that ?

Great input. Have you any thing to actually say why you think that ?

Em, you don't have a clue about football?

Em, you don't have a clue about football?

Another great answer. So I guess you're not going to answer the question or Blatter's question a few posts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Or Arsenal. Or Chelsea. Or Dortmund.

Such a load of BS.

Or Barca, Or City

The only team I can think of with 2 world class 9's is PSG with Ibra & Cavani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well van Persie and Rooney are better players than any of the 4. Hernandez is similar too ole. I don't rate wellbeck at all myself. I don't think it's that crazy of a statement at all.

• Advertisement

Another great answer. So I guess you're not going to answer the question or Blatter's question a few posts back.

Couldn't be bothered. My point is that, given rvp's career tendency towards crockness, you badly need a proper striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Poor Fergie has had to disguise himself when out in public to avoid confrontations over Moyes.

Sir-Alex-Ferguson.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Couldn't be bothered. My point is that, given rvp's career tendency towards crockness, you badly need a proper striker.
    Yeah but tell us about the 2 great number 9s in other world class squads. Besides the fact that nobody is claiming we have a world class squad to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

RVP has been the best striker in the league the last two seasons despite injury and has 7 goals in 10 this season despite playing in a shít team.

It was only a matter of time before the nonsense brigade descended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Transfer stuffs
    MUFC have contacted Southampton over left-back Luke Shaw but have been told sternly he is not for sale at any price," says @BenSmithBBC

https://twitter.com/ShamoonHafez/status/420219420846198784

Manchester United are keen on signing Porto defender Eliaquim Mangala during the summer transfer window rather than in January

http://www.givemesport.com/416856-manchester-united-open-talks-over-summer-deal-for-france-star?autoplay=on

Manchester United and Arsenal WON'T be signing Koke or Costa.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-arsenal-transfer-targets-2995322

Alonso could return to the EPL but would turn UTD down

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1915198-arsenal-transfer-would-suit-real-madrid-midfielder-xabi-alonso-perfectly

Roma coach insists Pjanic is not for sale despite recent additions

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2014/01/08/nothing-changes-on-miralem-pjanic-roma-coach-rudi-garcia-reiterates-no-sale-stance-for-manchester-united-target/119910/?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    For me, and I doubt Moyes will see it the same way, but for me these things have to happen:

-Tom Cleverley must be dropped. I am not someone who thinks we should sell Tom, but the lad is absolutely shot of confidence and is detrimental to the team at the moment.

-Anderson must take his place, hold on! HOLD ON! Don't hit quote and have a go at me yet, I know Anderson is crap. BUT, when Anderson is crap, he is crap in a positive way. He misplaces a pass, but its a forward pass. He is willing to take the ball from deep and attack a team, this is what we need, we should be patient with his crapness and hope his positivity rubs off on the other lads.

-We should pick two CBs and play them every game until one is injured, and I think Vidic should be one of them, and maybe Smalling the other. Evans for me is prone to a lapse and is poor defending crosses, which has been killing us lately.

-I think its time to start Januzaj every game. A lot of responsibility for one so young, but **** it, if you're good enough you're old enough, and he is.

-Drop Valencia. He doesn't believe in himself so how can his team-mates? We can't afford his "dance of indecision" he does when he can't make up his mind and then just drills it low to the first defender. He does good when he doesn't think, give him a few weeks on the bench to think about not thinking.

-Tell Evra to do one. Either get a new left back or play Buttner, at least when Buttner plays crap he gives it his best shot, Evra seems like he couldn't give a ****.

-Work on set-pieces, how many corners did Spurs give us? It was a miracle Vidic got his head on one last night because by and large we never score from them and we concede at least a goal a game because of them, sort that **** out.

-STOP GOING TO THE WING EVERY BLOODY TIME. The predictability of our game at the moment is sickening.

-A new sig for Mikeyt086. I've sorted that, I've done my part.

Its hard for me to argue with any of that. Playing Januzaj every game is the one thing I would question. He is obviosuly very talented and could be something special, but I think the team needs to be able to cope without him. This is still only his first season so he should be rested every once in a while.

Completely agree about Valencia. He is infuriating to watch.

• Advertisement

Ben Smith is very, very reliable. Intetesting that we're looking at Shaw. As stated before though, logically you'd think he's Chelsea bound eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I'd be hugely surprised, shocked even, if we sign anyone this transfer window. Not counting youth team players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hang on!

You tell me the squad is not in a "mess" and yet you list 9 players(listed above) from 28 (I think) that aint good enough or on way down.

If that is not a mess then I dont know what is.

You also have Carrick as a player worth sticking around.

Basically a 1/3 of the team are in need of reinvestment and yet club is ok?

Plans should have been put in place for replacments for 1-2 seasons now. Maybe Woodward and Moyes know what they are doing.

I sure hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The subs are fine but we're missing at least 3 starting 11 players and the starting 11 is pretty important..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement