Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Kagawa is so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

More 2nd half, less 1st half please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You know, I think this place will be a bit quieter then usual tonight, well, at least from non united fans anyway

Delighted with the result, and second half performance. Swansea = ****e though so no need to go overboard.

Part one done, part two to come, win at Chelsea and things can really take off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Played with some freedom and movement in second half.

Massive difference to recent times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It has to be Rooney up top, Kagawa in behind, Januzaj and Welbeck/whoever on the wings for the Chelsea game.

I think we will have a decent chance if we line up like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

What changed was United going 4,2,3,1 with Fletch and Carrick playing the ball to Kagawa instead of out to Valencia, and Kagawa carrying the ball forward and supplying the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

J. Marston wrote: »
    Fletcher wasn't amazing or anything tonight but he showed just how much better he is than Cleverley.

Delighted for him to get 90 minutes in the premiership for the first time in over a year and win the game as well

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

So refreshing seeing that 2nd half performance, fluid attacking football, Kagawa pulling the strings in behind the striker. We may have the worlds next star in Adnan Januzaj.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

What a breath of fresh air that second half was. For the first time in a long time we were actually enjoyable to watch.

Hopefully this will serve as a springboard, if not to get us up the table then to at least improve the quality of our football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

J. Marston wrote: »
    Fletcher wasn't amazing or anything tonight but he showed just how much better he is than Cleverley.

It's not that he was amazing but he made a massive difference. Instead of having Cleverley turning back the way putting us under pressure, Fletcher was passing forward making our attacking play better. Just shows if we got a real top quality midfielder who can control a game we would be in much better shape.

Kagawa looked very good today and i think it was because we played less long balls. Him, Janjuaz and Wellbeck were fantastic at quick touch passing and link up play. First time in ages i enjoyed watching United hopefully more of the same to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Thecon21 wrote: »
    We may have the worlds next star in Adnan Januzaj.

Real Madrid will be along in a few years with all their antics for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

There are a few things we can take away from that match

Even though Swansea had a lot of possession in the 1st half we looked solid and kept them at bay. For me this was down to Fletch over Clev.

Kagawa looked liberated by having a solid MF pairing behind him. Once he was moved into the hole in the 2nd half we looked like UTD of old. Dangerous on every attack. Kagawa looked class and hopefully we will see more of it.

Not only was the result good but the second half preformance was good. There was a few first half nerves but Moyes made the small change and it worked.

The second half team must start in those positions against Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Mrs Crinklewood thinks Januzaj looks like Mark Owen (whoever he is)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No, your twisting what I said. He should hold at his box once he tracks the player there, I have said this numerous times but you want to ignore this in a desperate attempt to defend Cleverly. As I can see you have no interest in a proper discussion we will leave it here.

Allowing the player to run to the edge of the box before he steps up to try and stop him is exactly what I am talking about. That would not be acceptable when all the defenders were in position behind him. If you call that "tracking the player" or "staying on his radar" and "holding at the edge of the box" it is still the wrong thing to do. If the midfielder did that then it would mean that the defenders would have had to drop into the box while covering which wouldn't be acceptable when the opposition player picked up the ball so far out.

You're still trying to ignore the fact that you said that Evra should have been the one to go to Johnson I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Is rooney back for chelsea game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

That game had better open Moyes eyes to what Cleverly brings to a game.

Kagawa was excellent in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Much needed win.

Moving Kagawa infield and Januzaj out wide won the match. They were great.

Super performance from Fletcher. Delighted to have him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

keane2097 wrote: »
    Kagawa is so good.

Playing central he is. Amazing the contrast when he's on the left. Makes it surprising that he didn't start there. Januzaj did well centrally but he's been playing great on the left anyway, so why not leave him there?

We gain so much with Januzaj left and Kagawa central compared to the reverse situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

GSPfan wrote: »
    Real Madrid will be along in a few years with all their antics for sure.

I don't think Adnan has ever expressed it's his dream to play for Madrid so they could well be wasting their time.

He did say this though -
    "It was my first choice and I have signed for them. I am happy here. If I could play all my life at Manchester United I would do it for the club."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Bob Geldof is to relaunch Live Aid to help Laudrup. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Kagawa takes up really smart positions in the nunber 10 role. Managed to find a load of space in a congested midfield area.

I think Welbeck and Januzaj are good for him, as the both run their bollocks off to make an angle for a pass

Pro. F wrote: »
    Allowing the player to run to the edge of the box before he steps up to try and stop him is exactly what I am talking about. That would not be acceptable when all the defenders were in position behind him. If you call that "tracking the player" or "staying on his radar" and "holding at the edge of the box" it is still the wrong thing to do. If the midfielder did that then it would mean that the defenders would have had to drop into the box while covering which wouldn't be acceptable when the opposition player picked up the ball so far out.

You're still trying to ignore the fact that you said that Evra should have been the one to go to Johnson I see.

I'm not going to drag the thread down with this as its on a high but I already addressed the Evra point, I said it was poorly made and then restated it. You have ignored this.

In that first post I made with all the pictures I made many points such as the team committing to the press more, Clev rushing in too much in the wrong positions and not early enough, him holding in the wrong areas, our wide players not doing enough. You decided to reply to the Clev point only in an attempt to defend him and now your making out like this was my only point I made when there was more.

Its pretty obvious that Clev being out and a good player in there tonight led to our first clean sheet and good result this year.

We have no Clev to discuss so lets not drag down the thread trying to defend the indefensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

First game in a while the cameras haven't showed SAF

They didn't go a goal behind, that's usually when they show him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Kagawa could be a real world class number 10, the conundrum we have is Rooney is the player he is and can produce magic from wherever he plays.

That doesn't mean we can't rotate them, and drop all this Kagawa left wing bollòx, United should be getting far enough in competitions to play 50 games a season and there's enough there to keep them both happy and injuries will play a part as well.

I think Fergie was at a family event instead of the game...

Wait till the rags make the connection and further their dumb agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

When was the last time we had a clean sheet?
    Didn't see the game and by all accounts Swansea were poor in attack, but a clean sheet is nearly as welcome as a win.
    Onwards and upwards

I imagine it went something like

"Adnan you and wee Shinje swap places"

No he definitely told them to just go for it.
    In the second half we saw Kagawa, Valencia, fletcher and even Smalling getting into the penalty box

In the first half they were more rigid, sticking to their positions, and it was easier for Swansea to defend,

Maybe he saw how little threat Swansea had going forward and thought it worth the risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think Fergie was at a family event instead of the game...

Wait till the rags make the connection and further their dumb agenda.

Thats a shame, I actually guarantee some media outlet will highlight this alright.

Fergie no show = Moyes go go

Here's hoping Stoke do us a favour tomorrow against the 'Pool.

kryogen wrote: »
    Thats a shame, I actually guarantee some media outlet will highlight this alright.

Fergie no show = Moyes go go

Exactly! that's what i was suggesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

No he definitely told them to just go for it.
    In the second half we saw Kagawa, Valencia, fletcher and even Smalling getting into the penalty box

In the first half they were more rigid, sticking to their positions, and it was easier for Swansea to defend,

Maybe he saw how little threat Swansea had going forward and thought it worth the risk

He rectified an error and put Kagawa in the middle where he should have been at the start. Simple team management can win you games.

edgecutter wrote: »
    He rectified an error and put Kagawa in the middle where he should have been at the start. Simple team management can win you games.

He did that in the first half

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

He had kagawa on the left and januzai behind the striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

For the last 5 mins when Swansea were clearly on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

beno619 wrote: »
    For the last 5 mins when Swansea were clearly on top.

15mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Just out of the game having a pint in platts.

Fletcher, janazaj = :).

Again, Fletcher :)

He's not at all near full fitness and is still our most composed midfielder. Excellent option to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Just out of the game having a pint in platts.

Fletcher, janazaj = :).

Again, Fletcher :)

He's not at all near full fitness and is still our most composed midfielder. Excellent option to have

Yeh. Fletch is like a new midfield signing. Great to see him back. Covers so much ground and works his socks off. I think we should hold of on making any signing until this Summer. No point in picking up scraps at this time of the year. Sve the money for the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Fletcher taking over :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I don't think Adnan has ever expressed it's his dream to play for Madrid so they could well be wasting their time.

He did say this though -

Ah you can't hold what an 18 year old said over him for the rest of his life. Look at Rooney as one quick example. If we develop him into a world class player and sel him on ala Ronaldo, sure I'll be disappointed but I'll have enjoyed the trophies he hopefully helps us win.

For me, the biggest chage in the second half was how high up the pitch we were in possession. Both CB's we just inside the half, it really pushed swansea back and helped the midfield link to welbz and the attackers.

Shinji was so good on the ball, pity he froze in front of goal, 3-0 going into the last 15 would have been nice.

First clean sheet in how long. We need a lot more of these.

Good night to be a red for once. Let's enjoy it.

• Advertisement

A decent result and a very mixed performance tonight against a team at the wrong end of the table. This is the same as we've seen all season and it's nothing to get too excited about imo. But it was desperately needed after the last three results.

Things that make me happy:

- Vidic completing another 90 minutes and looking comfortable. If he plays regularly and Evra is replaced, our defence will be very strong.

- Fletcher completing 90 minutes and, more importantly, still being here getting minutes and not off sick again. Hopefully his health really is returning.

- Welbeck scoring again. 9 goals in 12 starts this season and half of those starts he wasn't even up front. Delighted with him.

Things that make me sad:

- All of the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Didnt catch the game today had a family thing to go to, but heard Kagawa was excellent in the middle ahead of two holding midfielders. What I've hoped we'd do for a while now. Two lads sit in and let the rest do what they want.

Fingers crossed a tactical breakthrough, cause 4-4-2 is just not working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

I m absolutely delighted for Fletcher. To come back from what he has endured and to be able to play again speaks volumes for his character. I thought he was struggling a small bit at times in the 1st half which was understandable considering how bad we were playing and his lack of game time. But he was immense in the 2nd half. He showed what we ve been missing in his absence. Hopefully Cleverley takes note. Its very important to have him, Carrick and Vidic playing. We look way more secure with those 3 playing.
    Great to see Welbeck scoring again. Kagawa needs a run playing in the number 10 role. Its the only place he ll make it for us . Unfortunately when Rooney and RVP are fit he will be moved again.
    Adnan is just something special. He is our most creative player by a mile

One major negative was despite Evra attacking well, he leaves us as open as a barn door when he goes forward because he cant or wont track back quicj enough

I'm not going to drag the thread down with this as its on a high but I already addressed the Evra point, I said it was poorly made and then restated it. You have ignored this.

In that first post I made with all the pictures I made many points such as the team committing to the press more, Clev rushing in too much in the wrong positions and not early enough, him holding in the wrong areas, our wide players not doing enough. You decided to reply to the Clev point only in an attempt to defend him and now your making out like this was my only point I made when there was more.

Its pretty obvious that Clev being out and a good player in there tonight led to our first clean sheet and good result this year.

In your first post (here) you singled Cleverley out for criticism in 9 out of your 11 paragraphs and in 5 out of 6 pictures (the sixth picture was of Chelsea's play). You made the discussion about Cleverley.

I have not ignored you saying that you made your point poorly about Evra, I directly acknowledged that you said that and responded to it. Here's a link since you missed that post.

Sure it is. It's not like Cleverley played in the 1-0 win over Norwich or the 3-0 win over Villa just a few weeks ago. They weren't good results or clean sheets were they? Or do they not count because they were before January 1st?
    We have no Clev to discuss so lets not drag down the thread trying to defend the indefensible.

If you don't want to discuss it then don't quote me and discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

A decent result and a very mixed performance tonight against a team at the wrong end of the table. This is the same as we've seen all season and it's nothing to get too excited about imo. But it was desperately needed after the last three results.

Things that make me happy:

- Vidic completing another 90 minutes and looking comfortable. If he plays regularly and Evra is replaced, our defence will be very strong.

- Fletcher completing 90 minutes and, more importantly, still being here getting minutes and not off sick again. Hopefully his health really is returning.

- Welbeck scoring again. 9 goals in 12 starts this season and half of those starts he wasn't even up front. Delighted with him.

Things that make me sad:

- All of the first half.

Fletcher done a little bit more than completing 90 minutes. He was very very good today. He was very attacking in his play and at times really caused problems plus he defended quite will.

He played more exciting football today from what I have seen from Tom Cleverley the whole season and that is saying something.That cheeky backheel??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

billyhead wrote: »
    Yeh. Fletch is like a new midfield signing. Great to see him back. Covers so much ground and works his socks off. I think we should hold of on making any signing until this Summer. No point in picking up scraps at this time of the year. Sve the money for the summer

Kinda the point I was making is that he can't cover every blade yet. A played a ball up the wing for the Kagawa chance that Fletcher shouldve supported, but he just didn't have the legs. Not that it's a slight on him, once he's back to his 'cover every blade' self, coupled with the defensive and playmaking ability he showed today, he's going to be a massive massive player. Hopefully he can do that, and today was a huge step forward. A very unexpected but delightful addition this season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

A few months ago there was a mini campaign on Twitter. A former United season ticket holder had been diagnosed with a terminal illness. After news spread Ashley Young promised to help the man complete one of his final wishes - to see United at home one last time.

BduV8oHIgAIi0eY.jpg

Solid.

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Fletcher done a little bit more than completing 90 minutes. He was very very good today. He was very attacking in his play and at times really caused problems plus he defended quite will.

He played more exciting football today from what I have seen from Tom Cleverley the whole season and that is saying something.That cheeky backheel??

No, Fletcher was not "very, very good" today. He struggled, along with the rest of the team, in the first half and then had a lot of better spells in the second half. It was another mixed bag performance against poor opposition and plenty similar to performances that Cleverley has put in this season which have gone unnoticed by his critics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That a 29 year old who hadn't played a game for a year and a half has come back and got a first team slot so easily, and improved our midfield so much, shows had badly we need a new midfielder tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No, Fletcher was not "very, very good" today. He struggled, along with the rest of the team, in the first half and then had a lot of better spells in the second half. It was another mixed bag performance against poor opposition and plenty similar to performances that Cleverley has put in this season which have gone unnoticed by his critics.

Still not back to full fitness, but always looked to pass forward or hang on to the ball passing backwards was a last resort.

Poor first half was down to Moyes playing Kagawa out wide.

Sure it is. It's not like Cleverley played in the 1-0 win over Norwich or the 3-0 win over Villa just a few weeks ago. They weren't good results or clean sheets were they? Or do they not count because they were before January 1st?

What I said

This Year.

I'll just ignore the rest of your post trying to prove that you have not ignored my previous post or twisted what I said because you did exactly that in your reply

Also Fletcher was clearly better than Clev today. I can't remember too many occasions of him getting turned and have to scramble back.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement