Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

1195196197198199201»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Get Gus Hiddenk in...??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There's no point replacing Moyes with another inexperienced, lower-table manager.

Whoever comes in next will have to have at least some success on a top level imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

So it's just the fact that he has no experience at the top level is what makes people wary of him? Fair enough reason. I just think he's a promising manager. He gets the team playing nice football. I'd love to see his style of play at United.

On that note, Guardiola also had no top level experience. He went from a player, to managing the Barcelona B team, to becoming the main manager. Look at him now.

Also, found this amusing..
    After his career with Brescia and Roma, in 2003, Guardiola chose to play in Qatar with Al-Ahli from Doha in the Qatar Stars League, where many fellow greats were playing, such as Gabriel Batistuta. He had rejected another offer from Manchester United, as he wanted to play elsewhere. He became a regular in the Qatar Stars League, often cited as one of the best players in the League. In 2005–06, he turned down offers from a number European sides, such as Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea, as he felt his playing career was coming to a close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don't think Pocchetino is the number one candidate for United by any means, but comparisons to Moyes are lazy. Pocchetino plays winning football that would translate well to having even better to having great individual players. Moyes never did IMO.

There's no point replacing Moyes with another inexperienced, lower-table manager.

Whoever comes in next will have to have at least some success on a top level imo.
    Brendan Rodgers is an example of how well this can all be done if you get the right man. In the same way as with footballers, some managers have a limit to what their ability can achieve without being carried by others. Other managers (like players) may be at a certain level now, but illustrate genuine potential of being able to make that move.

Pocchetino and Laudrup are probably the only 2 I see as having that potential and I think a large part of that is their background being in other leagues.

Some managers have that background and can't make that work in English football, but being able to combine continental flair and technique with English tempo and work ethic is a recipe for success. Pocchetino and Laudrup do this well and deserve a shot sooner or later at a top 6 team (subbing in United for Newcastle)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

CSF wrote: »
    Brendan Rodgers is an example of how well this can all be done if you get the right man. In the same way as with footballers, some managers have a limit to what their ability can achieve without being carried by others. Other managers (like players) may be at a certain level now, but illustrate genuine potential of being able to make that move.

Pocchetino and Laudrup are probably the only 2 I see as having that potential and I think a large part of that is their background being in other leagues.

Some managers have that background and can't make that work in English football, but being able to combine continental flair and technique with English tempo and work ethic is a recipe for success. Pocchetino and Laudrup do this well and deserve a shot sooner or later at a top 6 team (subbing in United for Newcastle)

What has Rodgers actually achieved so far? Don't get me wrong, I think he's doing well with Liverpool but he finished 7th last season. This season still has a long way to go yet. Even King Kenny had them challenging for European football in his second spell in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

GSPfan wrote: »
    Baffles you cause you're a fool. Nothing in my above post has anything to do with Hughes as a player. I don't adore Rooney or ANY FOOTBALL PLAYER.

So no wonder you're baffled. If you like him then good for you. He got paid to play football for the team you support. Hardly qualifies him for the Special man love you have for him.

You can leave out the petty name calling like a good child.
    I didnt single you out either as being the one who adored Rooney. I dont have any man love for Hughes but disliking him for managing city is childish s**t.

I am not going to get into a slagging match with you but please dont be referring to OP as being FOOLS. Doesnt say much for yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Discodog wrote: »
    All these articles stressing how good Moyes is. According to this one his motto is "if in doubt - work". So if in doubt just do more of what you are doing wrong. If in doubt you need to stop & assess what you are doing wrong.

Reminds me of a quote from Moyes I posted a while back that worried me
    “I think you continue to do the things you’ve been doing because if you have to change it then you’re saying that you were doing the wrong things in the first place"

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/david-moyes-most-manchester-united-players-are-giving-their-best-9052752.html

DeanAustin wrote: »
    What has Rodgers actually achieved so far? Don't get me wrong, I think he's doing well with Liverpool but he finished 7th last season. This season still has a long way to go yet. Even King Kenny had them challenging for European football in his second spell in charge.

He dominates and wins lots of games of football while scoring lots of goals. Generally a good indicator of future success. Which is a lot more than Moyes had ever done in a much longer career.

Reminds me of a quote from Moyes I posted a while back that worried me

Over the last couple of days he has genuinely concerned me. I get the feeling that he sees the results as his tactics working, but us getting unlucky, or just not being able to get on the end of the crosses. Each match is usually just off by a goal.

I really think he is going to keep persisting with this tactic until it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Hypothetical Situation:

Assume you're David Moyes on July 1, you've failed to secure Champions League football for 14/15 and have qualified for the Europa League. You look at your squad and have to decide who to get rid of and who to replace them with. The Glazers have given you 100M plus whatever you can raise through player sales to re-build a squad capable of a title challenge and dealing with the fixture congestion Europa League football brings.

Who do you get rid of and who do you replace them with?

He dominates and wins lots of games of football while scoring lots of goals. Generally a good indicator of future success. Which is a lot more than Moyes had ever done in a much longer career.

So he's achieved nothing then? Not saying he won't but this is why managers become flavour of the month then have a bad spell and suddenly they are the biggest duffers in the game.

Let's also remember that Rodgers wasn't a roaring success with either Watford or Reading. Don't judge him as being great just yet.

So he's achieved nothing then? Not saying he won't but this is why managers become flavour of the month then have a bad spell and suddenly they are the biggest duffers in the game.

Let's also remember that Rodgers wasn't a roaring success with either Watford or Reading. Don't judge him as being great just yet.
    He has achieved nothing at the highest level in terms of trophies. Neither has Suarez, not sure what you're getting at here. Neither have Moyes or Tony Hibbert but that is where the comparisons between the 2 sets of lads end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Danger781 wrote: »
    Over the last couple of days he has genuinely concerned me. I get the feeling that he sees the results as his tactics working, but us getting unlucky, or just not being able to get on the end of the crosses. Each match is usually just off by a goal.

I really think he is going to keep persisting with this tactic until it works.

When you see him say things like "we played well, got the ball to the byline plenty of times" like he did yesterday, I find it really worrying that he actually does see that as playing well and creating chances. Oddly enough I actually trust the man to identify and target top class players, I just doubt he'd be able to get the most out of those top players once he gets them.

He has achieved nothing at the highest level in terms of trophies. Neither has Suarez, not sure what you're getting at here. Neither have Moyes or Tony Hibbert but that is where the comparisons between the 2 sets of lads end.

What I'm getting at is people are slating Moyes and holding Rodgers and the lad at Southampton up as being examples that United should be trying to emulate. Point is, Moyes achieved as much if not more than them with Everton and yet he still isn't the right man for United.

You say that Rodgers Liverpool team winning well in games is an indicator of future success. You could counter and say failing badly at Reading is an indicator of future failure.

United need a proven manager for me. It's not a guarantee of success but it gives you a better chance in my view.

What I'm getting at is people are slating Moyes and holding Rodgers and the lad at Southampton up as being examples that United should be trying to emulate. Point is, Moyes achieved as much if not more than them with Everton and yet he still isn't the right man for United.

You say that Rodgers Liverpool team winning well in games is an indicator of future success. You could counter and say failing badly at Reading is an indicator of future failure.

United need a proven manager for me. It's not a guarantee of success but it gives you a better chance in my view.
    There is so much ridiculous in this argument that I don't know where to start without writing a novel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Suarez has won trophies,Dutch league and cup and Copa America.He is classed as one of the best strikers in the world,pointless comparing him to Hibbert.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Suarez has won trophies,Dutch league and cup and Copa America.He is classed as one of the best strikers in the world,pointless comparing him to Hibbert.

It was a joke.

It was a joke.

Don't think it was...

• Advertisement

It was a joke.
    you should work on some better material.

Don't think it was...

Ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Liverpool always win the passing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Robson99 wrote: »
    You can leave out the petty name calling like a good child.
    I didnt single you out either as being the one who adored Rooney. I dont have any man love for Hughes but disliking him for managing city is childish s**t.

I am not going to get into a slagging match with you but please dont be referring to OP as being FOOLS. Doesnt say much for yourself

So hang on, Calling me "a good child" is taking the high road is it?

You quoted my post for not liking Hughes and mentioned Rooney. Now you are saying something about him managing City in reference to me again. Where have I mentioned anything about Hughes and City or Rooney?

No where, is the answer.

So can you see where you are being baffled again? You have mashed together 4 or 5 different posts from different people and can't understand why people dislike Hughes.

You don't have to get in an arguement with me. Just don't quote my post and criticise me when your reasons for criticising have nothing to do with my post.
    When you quoted me you opened up the conversation. Not my fault you can't keep track of whats going on.

WestBrom did us a favor today.Won't make much difference unless there is a serious improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hopefully Arsenal bash them in the next game, if we can't beat Fulham we deserve to finish 7th

Also calling for Klopp to come in is stupid, he can't implement his style with the players we have, he would need to rebuild just as Moyes has to. When Moyes gets the players he identified I think we will start to play good football and get results.

• Advertisement

Liverpool always win the passing

Haha that is true. There are so many f**kwits quoting possession stats now that it leaves me wondering when how often you have the ball replaced scoring goals as the aim of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Its a terrible state of affairs when your team are so poor that you have to rely on the likes of West Brom to claw back your rivals.

That being said though, we have been gifted a chance.

For the love of fcuk Moyes, grab it and push on now please with a comfortable hammering of Fulham at OT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Haha that is true. There are so many f**kwits quoting possession stats now that it leaves me wondering when how often you have the ball replaced scoring goals as the aim of the game.

Rodger's Liverpool have scored 58 goals this season, with a goal difference in the league of 29.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Hypothetical Situation:

Assume you're David Moyes on 9 June, you've failed to secure Champions League football for 14/15 and have qualified for the Europa League. You look at your squad and have to decide who to get rid of and who to replace them with. The Glazers have given you 100M plus whatever you can raise through player sales to re-build a squad capable of a title challenge and dealing with the fixture congestion Europa League football brings.

Who do you get rid of and who do you replace them with?

Out:
    Evra OUT, Shaw IN. You could keep Evra around as an influential character if need be, but Shaw would be the primary LB. If Evra wants to go back to France he is free to leave. Let him retire in a less intensive league.

Depending on how Rafael does for the remainder of the season, I might look at replacing him with Coleman. Some of his recent performances / actions have me questioning him. It's so obvious when he becomes frustrated and some of his decisions have been questionable to say the least.

Vidic has been a loyal servant but I feel after this season he wouldn't have another season in him at top flight. If he wants to leave, so be it. Let him head off to a league where there wouldn't be so much pressure on him. Get that final big pay day. If he wants to stay, keep him as rotation option.

Cleverley doesn't deserve to call himself a United player. If Moyes wants to keep him as a fifth or sixth choice midfielder then that's fine with me. We do need a certain number of English players.

Hernandez is wasted at United. He should be allowed to leave if he wants. I'd have no problem with it. However, considering RVP is aging perhaps Chico could be convinced to stay.

Giggs needs to retire.

IN:
    Kroos. Unbelievable midfielder and we should buy him no matter what he costs.

If we can't get Kroos, I wouldn't mind us going for Thiago again. He left Bara to get first team football but can't seem to secure a place in the team.

I don't think he will want to come back, but Pogba.

Not sure how easy he would be to get, but Vidal.

Koke.

Gundogan. Not likely but he'd be fantastic.

As I mentioned, I'll leave judgement on Rafael until later in the season. IF however, we are in the market for a RB.. Coleman top choice, and Santon second.

A new top class striker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Augmerson wrote: »
    Rodger's Liverpool have scored 58 goals this season, with a goal difference in the league of 29.

But Liverpool have had better weather for most of them games. Lol

• Advertisement

Augmerson wrote: »

Wasn't referring to Liverpool in particular when talking about possession stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

GSPfan wrote: »
    So hang on, Calling me "a good child" is taking the high road is it?

You quoted my post for not liking Hughes.

Where have I mentioned anything about Hughes

No where, is the answer.

Stop contradicting yourself

You stated you couldnt care less if Hughes played for Utd or not. I quoted that I dont understand the dislike for some of our ex-players who gave their all for the club.

I wasnt referring any comment about Rooney to you. It was on a different paragraph and posted in general conversation. Not directly at you. OK

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

New thread on the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement