Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Red Crow wrote: »
    I think people are overstating Cleverley's uselessness but by the same token I think Rooney has been our most overrated player this season.

/awaits assault

He's been one of our more important players. Would much prefer to see him in his best position up front. Rooney, Jan and Kags playing together would cause teams alot of headaches if played in the right way.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

As I said, I understand why people are loyal to current players but honest critique is what life is about so if the biggest club in the world think Danny Wellbeck is good enough to be even their third choice striker, I'm all outta words on the issue.

6 goals in 6 is it?
    He's good enough.

Also, as much as it pains me to say it, United aren't the biggest club in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Nani to be sold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The movement really is something that needs to be worked on. Januzaj and Kagawa seem to be on a different wavelength to everyone else on the pitch, Welbeck is good too but the rest are just lost.

Some of the stuff we played in the second half was a glimpse of the way I'd like to see us playing consistently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

A few of the Spanish media are running that Real and Utd have agreed a loan deal until the end of the season for Coentrão.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

As I said, I understand why people are loyal to current players but honest critique is what life is about so if the biggest club in the world think Danny Wellbeck is good enough to be even their third choice striker, I'm all outta words on the issue.

Translates to,"Im unable to answer the question asked or back up my point so Im gonna slither out of this one while still clinging to my hollow, incorrect theory"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

*crosses fingers* Please be true, please be true, please be true

A few of the Spanish media are running that Real and Utd have agreed a loan deal until the end of the season for Coentrão.

Is it Marca and AS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

kryogen wrote: »
    Is it Marca and AS?

Well I just spotted someone else linking AS in the thread just now so they're one anyway. I'm going off Sid Lowes' Twitter feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Is it Marca and AS?

Seems to be coming from AS, Joaquin Maroto is the guy who tweeted it

Would be good if true, hopefully it is anyway. Dont see any reason why it wouldnt be considering the only thing that stopped it in the summer was incompetence. I mentioned earlier that if Fab and Zaha are off on loan it said to me that transfers in the way were imminent, hopefully this is one and a good midfield signing is the other

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It's funny how people are sticking up for Cleverley with little or no basis to back it up other than the midfield is crap without him too.

But that is not what's happening. The reason it is being pointed out that our midfield had trouble today is in response to the posters trying to pretend that Fletcher's introduction to the team fixed everything. It didn't.
    He's an average midfielder. I don't even think he's at squad player level. He offers very little other than carefulness with the ball. He offers nothing in attack, he's a poor tackler, poor positioning, he's slow, average passer, poor creativity. He's always moaning at teammates. He's just not a United player.

He's a good with a dead ball from corners. He gives 100% all the time and I'd say he's a good lad and he trains very hard but he's just not good enough.

I don't think we're bad because of Cleverley but I just don't see his value in this team. If United want to be a top side then we will need more from our bench than Tom Cleverley in midfield.

He offers plenty in attack. His close control and link up play is good and his passing is good. He is not poor at tackling or positioning, he is average at them. Nor is he particularly slow. The claim that he is always moaning at team mates is a complete lie.

It is true that his form has been lacking this season, but that is the same for the majority of players in the squad and every single midfielder.

Pro. F wrote: »
    But that is not what's happening. The reason it is being pointed out that our midfield had trouble today is in response to the posters trying to pretend that Fletcher's introduction to the team fixed everything. It didn't.

I dont think anyone did that?

zerks wrote: »

He's the type of CM that could really give Moyes' system the oomph it needs. Good close control and passing and good at dribbling forward to open up the opposition. But the worry would be the stories about him drinking too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Just watching re-run... Few points..
    **** first half..
    Kagawa has to start next week v Chelsea, this stop start crap won't work when he starts to look like he can produce... Some great moves and touches - one slide rule pass could be vital to us next week...

Fletcher looks good and has to start with Carrick too.. Can he stay fit and become a leader for us? Really hope so..

Against Chelsea, Jan should be given a rest...
    ... Nope, only messing.. Start him, he is up to it. Although, Jose will have plans for him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

He offers plenty in attack. His close control and link up play is good and his passing is good. He is not poor at tackling or positioning, he is average at them. Nor is he particularly slow. The claim that he is always moaning at team mates is a complete lie.

It is true that his form has been lacking this season, but that is the same for the majority of players in the squad and every single midfielder.

He offers nothing in attack. All he seems to do is collect the ball and give a short pass to the winger or back to defence.
    He constantly hides from the play. He doesnt seem to be able to create space for himself or go search for a ball. He rarely creates any chances for the attackers. 6 assists in the premierleague with Utd since his first start. Pathetic.
    I would put him on the same level as someone like Glenn Whealan.
    Not near good enoughfor Utd, and id be quite happy to never see him in a Utd shirt again.
    Im sorry to all the Cleverley fans out there but i feel that strongly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Translates to,"Im unable to answer the question asked or back up my point so Im gonna slither out of this one while still clinging to my hollow, incorrect theory"
    Ask the question then so.

When I'm sober tomorrow I'll do my best to answer it. Be warned though, I won't have my red blinkered glasses on while answering.

I dont think anyone did that?

Newballsplease did. He's claiming that Cleverley is the main reason for United's struggles this season and that today's performance confirmed that. Ergo that Fletcher's introduction fixed the problems.

But I should have actually made my point broader tbh. Rather than the midfield's struggles today being brought up to counter things like what Newballsplease said, it's also been brought up to counter all the people who have made out that today's performance was good. It was not. In the first half we were rubbish once again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

He doesnt seem to be able to create space for himself or go search for a ball.
    Well that's 100% wrong because that is something Cleverley is good at; making space for himself, especially in tight situations but anyways couldn't be arsed tryin to defend him really.

Ask the question then so.

When I'm sober tomorrow I'll do my best to answer it. Be warned though, I won't have my red blinkered glasses on while answering.

Already asked, dont worry about it.

Already asked, dont worry about it.
    I've looked and can't see the question. U can quote it for me if u wish. Unless it's a non-question of course, then u can just carry on and pretend I'm wrong. I'm also cool with that.

I've looked and can't see the question. U can quote it for me if u wish. Unless it's a non-question of course, then u can just carry on and pretend I'm wrong. I'm also cool with that.

Im not surprised you wouldnt be able to see something right in front of your face considering your remarks on Welbeck.

Enjoy bein "cool with that"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

He offers nothing in attack. All he seems to do is collect the ball and give a short pass to the winger or back to defence.
    He constantly hides from the play. He doesnt seem to be able to create space for himself or go search for a ball. He rarely creates any chances for the attackers. 6 assists in the premierleague with Utd since his first start. Pathetic.
    I would put him on the same level as someone like Glenn Whealan.
    Not near good enoughfor Utd, and id be quite happy to never see him in a Utd shirt again.
    Im sorry to all the Cleverley fans out there but i feel that strongly.

He has good close control and passing which he uses to link the play up well. He does not hide from the play, most games he plays he is in the top 2 or 3 players on the pitch for number of passes, he's first often enough. If he was hiding from the ball as you say then that wouldn't happen. Assists is a poor metric for judging central midfielders, many good CMs can have low assist numbers.

He has been under performing this season, that's true. So have the vast majority of the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

He asked about the other clubs, and who has a better 4th place striker than Danny welbeck.

Protip: look for the ?.

Im not surprised you wouldnt be able to see something right in front of your face considering your remarks on Welbeck.

Enjoy bein "cool with that"
    Ur obviously right then so. It's ok being blinded by loyalty. I'm cool with that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Very interesting. All said with a lot of confidence. I can't see him selling half his squad but there's definitely a few of them I'd like to see gone. Valencia's name was even on there. Please god be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Utd's issues are not down to Cleverley.

that's horseshít analysis.

you were shíte first half. Fletcher and Carrick had no impact. nobody did bar Januzaj at all really. Swansea controlled it but were absolutely horrendous 30 yards from goal.

the difference in the 2nd half was one thing - the switch of Adnan and Kagawa's positions, and the thing is, I reckon Moyes only did it because he wanted Adnan running at a booked fullback, not because he thought anything was particularly wrong with the original setup of the team.

either way, the net result was Kagawa not having to waste his time trying to provide width (something he should never be doing, ever) and having no impact on proceedings, and instead he was in his favoured position where he gave Fletcher and Carrick someone to pass to quickly between the lines. he also turned and ran towards Swansea's defence, putting Utd on the front foot. because you then had Kagawa and Adnan both worrying Swansea's defence, they started retreating a little, and so your midfield had more time to play.

a midfield always plays better on the front foot.

if Moyes can get the balance of the front 4 right, it will alleviate a lot of the pressure on the midfield as they'll be on the front foot a lot more.

Jesus, that audience in the background for the Sat evening matches looks like something out of The Following..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

He has good close control and passing which he uses to link the play up well. He does not hide from the play, most games he plays he is in the top 2 or 3 players on the pitch for number of passes, he's first often enough. If he was hiding from the ball as you say then that wouldn't happen. Assists is a poor metric for judging central midfielders, many good CMs can have low assist numbers.

He has been under performing this season, that's true. So have the vast majority of the team.

Notice the next time he plays.... There are times when he *should be looking for a ball, instead he shys away.Literally stands behind players so as to not give his own teammate the option to pass him the ball.
    Maybe you dont see it like i do. Very very frustrating player to watch.
    No urgency about his play.
    I was delighted to see his name wasnt in the starting 11 yesterday. It gave me a good feeling for the game. Im not saying Fletcher is the answer,but id put good money on Utd to perform better each game Cleverley isnt in center midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

GSPfan wrote: »
    Very interesting. All said with a lot of confidence. I can't see him selling half his squad but there's definitely a few of them I'd like to see gone. Valencia's name was even on there. Please god be true.

I haven't read the article because it's the Daily Fail, but if it's true it's purely by accident.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Haven't seen it mentioned in here. We activated the first option to try and buy back Matts Daehli but he turned us down for Cardiff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Think we should start Cleverley every game from here on out. Looking like Uniteds Savior this season. What a leader and technical ability to boot

Wish some posters here would get real

He's not the sole reason United have been muck, but hes one of the major ones. How can anyone argue that, its just beyond me. Have people been watching games this season at all? The guy is a coward

He'd prefer just hide away and forever be a united player with his clothing brand and website than actually take some responsibility on the pitch. It angers me tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Everytime I read a daily mail article my head hurts. Yet I still open the links. So many inaccuracies.

Would Nani move back to Lisbon? I suppose he's cup tied for the CL but a team in the upper reaches of Spain, Italy and Germany would surely be interested. Also it's not like there's a wealth of talent at the club in wide areas to send him away.

From watching MOTD, one would assume Rene Meulensteen didn't do defensive coaching at United :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

From watching MOTD, one would assume Rene Meulensteen didn't do defensive coaching at United :)

I kinda hope he falls flat on his arse tbh with his sh!tetalk since he left.

Notice the next time he plays.... There are times when he *should be looking for a ball, instead he shys away.Literally stands behind players so as to not give his own teammate the option to pass him the ball.
    Maybe you dont see it like i do. Very very frustrating player to watch.
    No urgency about his play.

I know exactly what you mean actually. I've seen him do that and I know why you could get the impression that he's hiding from the ball. But the truth is that if you watch midfielders closely you will see them all doing that at different times. A lot of that comes down to team movement - players swapping positions and keeping the team balance with regards to each other; short/long, narrow/wide. In the end, when you look at the game as a whole he still gets on the ball a lot, more than most players at the club; he still gets on the ball all over the pitch and he still passes it forward a lot. He's not playing well, he's playing average at best this season. So are the rest of our midfield and, in fact, the majority of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm beginning to think pro f is cleverly

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think pro f is cleverly

Ah, so funny. Well done.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Haven't seen it mentioned in here. We activated the first option to try and buy back Matts Daehli but he turned us down for Cardiff.

Did we really?

Didnt know that, always liked him, but I understand why he choose to go to Cardiff, he has the relationship with Ole obviously and he will probably play a lot more.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Utd's issues are not down to Cleverley.

that's horseshít analysis.

you were shíte first half. Fletcher and Carrick had no impact. nobody did bar Januzaj at all really. Swansea controlled it but were absolutely horrendous 30 yards from goal.

the difference in the 2nd half was one thing - the switch of Adnan and Kagawa's positions, and the thing is, I reckon Moyes only did it because he wanted Adnan running at a booked fullback, not because he thought anything was particularly wrong with the original setup of the team.

either way, the net result was Kagawa not having to waste his time trying to provide width (something he should never be doing, ever) and having no impact on proceedings, and instead he was in his favoured position where he gave Fletcher and Carrick someone to pass to quickly between the lines. he also turned and ran towards Swansea's defence, putting Utd on the front foot. because you then had Kagawa and Adnan both worrying Swansea's defence, they started retreating a little, and so your midfield had more time to play.

a midfield always plays better on the front foot.

if Moyes can get the balance of the front 4 right, it will alleviate a lot of the pressure on the midfield as they'll be on the front foot a lot more.

Great point about the fullback.

Moyes did say in his post match interview that it wasnt working (Jan in the middle and Kag out wide) so thats why he changed it. Hopefully he was telling the truth. It is something to think about re the full back though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

havent seen it mentioned but can understand why he went to Cardiff.what was the reason he was let go last year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Fancy us to beat Chelsea now and close the gap on 4th spot. The chase is on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Did we really?

Didnt know that, always liked him, but I understand why he choose to go to Cardiff, he has the relationship with Ole obviously and he will probably play a lot more.

yabadabado wrote: »
    havent seen it mentioned but can understand why he went to Cardiff.what was the reason he was let go last year ?

Ya I was surprised there was a clause in there. I don't see the reason, as in if a player leaves why would he want to come back?

Case in point Daehli left as he wanted a move apparently. And it seems he didn't want to come back. Was a tidy player underage, didn't see enough of him to say he was 'amazing' but always composed and a threat on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Great point about the fullback.

Fletcher mentioned as much after the game in his interview.

Ya I was surprised there was a clause in there. I don't see the reason, as in if a player leaves why would he want to come back?

Case in point Daehli left as he wanted a move apparently. And it seems he didn't want to come back. Was a tidy player underage, didn't see enough of him to say he was 'amazing' but always composed and a threat on the ball.

He moved to play first team football iirc, he has a good relationship with Ole and tbh, I dont mind him turning United down at this moment to play for Cardiff, he will have a manager he knows has faith in him, will surely play more then he would at United, away from a spot light he can settle into the league and if he does impress there is nothing to say we cant go back in for him again and that he wont want to move back to United then.

Smart move I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

K4t wrote: »
    Fancy us to beat Chelsea now and close the gap on 4th spot. The chase is on.

Based on what, one decent half at home against a team 3 points above relegation?
    Need to improve drastically to stand any chance against Chelsea. Sure Utd only had something like 35% possession at home to an average team, the lowest for 8 years or something. If that happens next week it might get ugly. Can't be getting carried away as in the space of half a day comments have gone from fearing losing to Swabsea at home to now winning at Chelsea.
    Actually does anyone know if Hazard will be running at Evra? I can't remember which side he plays on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement