Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Based on what, one decent half at home against a team 3 points above relegation?
    Need to improve drastically to stand any chance against Chelsea. Sure Utd only had something like 35% possession at home to an average team, the lowest for 8 years or something. If that happens next week it might get ugly. Can't be getting carried away as in the space of half a day comments have gone from fearing losing to Swabsea at home to now winning at Chelsea.
    Actually does anyone know if Hazard will be running at Evra? I can't remember which side he plays on.
    I think this team is more than capable of getting a result at the Bridge, Bridge. Welbeck is as good as anything they have up front and Januzaj is playing incredible. If the midfield can put in a big performance then I see no reason to be pessimistic seeing as our confidence should be back too after today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Feel sorry for Cleverley atm.

He seems to be scapegoat when Valencia and Evra have been the major disappointments. Has he been poor yes but he good enough to be squad player but he is lacking belief and he needed to be dropped alright.

Can we beat Chelsea?

I cant see it. A fit rooney and RVP and I would give us a chance. A month ago I would have been more confident, but chelsea have improved past month and if they continue we will need performance of season to come away with full points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

K4t wrote: »
    I think this team is more than capable of getting a result at the Bridge, Bridge. Welbeck is as good as anything they have up front and Januzaj is playing incredible. If the midfield can put in a big performance then I see no reason to be pessimistic seeing as our confidence should be back too after today.

Without RVP and Rooney though. Chelsea also have a better defence and far better midfield. If they have near as much possession as Swansea they will win easily.
    This confidence was supposedly back after beating Villa Hull and Norwich or whoever it was yet when the step up in class came Spurs won quickly followed by the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Based on what, one decent half at home against a team 3 points above relegation?
    Need to improve drastically to stand any chance against Chelsea. Sure Utd only had something like 35% possession at home to an average team, the lowest for 8 years or something. If that happens next week it might get ugly. Can't be getting carried away as in the space of half a day comments have gone from fearing losing to Swabsea at home to now winning at Chelsea.
    Actually does anyone know if Hazard will be running at Evra? I can't remember which side he plays on.

Hazard is playing on the left for them this season. If Mourinho were to swap him to the right you would have to bet on him getting a goal.

One thing that makes the Chelsea game a bit less daunting is that Mourinho could set them up very defensively. Good and all as they've been, Jose could still pay United too much respect and give us a chance of sneaking away with a draw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Some of Moyes words on Angel Januzaj

"He played so well against Sunderland in mid-week behind the striker, we felt it might just create some more opportunities, maybe cause them a few more problems. It didn’t work well as we wanted in the first half," the United boss said,

"With Adnan coming out wide left at times he was very difficult for them to cope with. He’s some player, the boy’s going to be one of the best in the world I have no doubt about that.

"We’ll keep bringing him along, we’re having to play him a bit more than we would like but what I would say is he’s earning his place in the team because of how well he’s playing.

"Sometimes when you’re young, and I remember Wayne [Rooney] at the same age at Everton people kept saying to me I was leaving him out, but these young boys want to play all the time, they don’t know anything about tiredness or how many games they’ve played."

(On confidence and demanding ball) "He has been like that since day one," Moyes said. "Adnan can play in all the positions around the front. I speak to him a lot and he tells me he could play everywhere and he would have no problem. He's not a nervous boy. I wanted to see if it would give us any more creativity, any more [attacking] positions, and help us.
    "He needs teaching and understanding because he is still learning the game in a lot of the things he is doing. But his talent and natural ability is up there with the best and I think, in time, he will prove to be that."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Without RVP and Rooney though. Chelsea also have a better defence and far better midfield. If they have near as much possession as Swansea they will win easily.
    This confidence was supposedly back after beating Villa Hull and Norwich or whoever it was yet when the step up in class came Spurs won quickly followed by the other two.
    That 2nd half display today is enough for me to think we can go into the Chelsea game confident and looking for a win. And I'm sure the United players and Moyes feel the same way.

We'll just have to wait and see won't we. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Cleverley behind Kagawa would be quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Would this be good enough to win the league next season

dea gea
    Raf
    vidic---jones---shaw
    --Reus---carrick-Gundogen -januzai
    Rooney

Rvp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

dea gea
    Raf
    vidic---jones---shaw
    Rooney

Rvp

New window, new fantasy lineup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

dea gea
    Raf
    vidic---jones---shaw
    Rooney

Rvp

Replace Jones with a better defender and it would definitely be favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I think when you guys get all your injured players back, you have a very strong team. The big problem is where you fit the pieces.

You could always try something like this.

Fellaini - Carrick
    Janjuaz
    Rooney - Van Persie -Wellbeck

I reckon that team would carve up nearly every Premier League defence.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Liam O wrote: »
    New window, new fantasy lineup.

I used to think that he was on the wind up with the wrong spelling but I figured out that he really doesn't really know how to spell their name right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

dea gea
    Raf
    vidic---jones---shaw
    Rooney

Rvp

No, because it has no Kagawa. Did you watch the game yesterday? 45mins of Kagawa showing exactly where and why he should play 90mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

MagicIRL wrote: »
    No, because it has no Kagawa. Did you watch the game yesterday? 45mins of Kagawa showing exactly where and why he should play 90mins.

When Rooney and van persie are fit there is no place for kagawa, would you put kagawa in instead of Rooney?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

1 or 2 midfielders and a left back would be fine for now. Januzaj has shown he deserves to start every game and I think he is best playing from a wide position. Kagawa should be played through the middle. He will really shine for us if he's given that chance. 2 midfielders to provide stability and bite behind the front 4 will make the team much more deadly.

• Advertisement

When Rooney and van persie are fit there is no place for kagawa, would you put kagawa in instead of Rooney?

I would try 2 up front, Kagawa and Januzaj behind them, and 2 CM's anchoring them. Or we could play Rooney, Jan and Kags all behind RVP with licence to roam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

KH25 wrote: »
    I would try 2 up front, Kagawa and Januzaj behind them, and 2 CM's anchoring them.

That could work well for us, bit like Chelsea under Jose the 1st time.

That could work well for us, bit like Chelsea under Jose the 1st time.

Its worth a shot. There's no real reason we can't try to fit all of them into one team, especially if we buy players that accommodate a change in style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Looks like Matic is going back to Chelsea. Another CM bites the dust.

Probably the best one available this window too. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So im delighted with the win but of course im not over reacting. Its a really really poor Swansea team and a better team would of scored against us in that first half. We were dreadful in the first half. The first few minutes of the first half we closed down defenders and had a high tempo to our game but that vanish soon enough. Swansea really out played us in that first half but without really causing De Gea any trouble.

So 2nd half we get the goal early enough and that boosted the confidence right away. I would of worried if we didnt get that goal so early thou because I could of seen a repeat of the first half. Im a huge fan of Kag, I know he's a class act and once again proves it. Just play in traditional number 10 position and he'll show what he can do.

Once again a 18 yr old is carrying our team, its just no right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Headshot wrote: »
    So im delighted with the win but of course im not over reacting. Its a really really poor Swansea team and a better team would of scored against us in that first half. We were dreadful in the first half. The first few minutes of the first half we closed down defenders and had a high tempo to our game but that vanish soon enough. Swansea really out played us in that first half but without really causing De Gea any trouble.

So 2nd half we get the goal early enough and that boosted the confidence right away. I would of worried if we didnt get that goal so early thou because I could of seen a repeat of the first half. Im a huge fan of Kag, I know he's a class act and once again proves it. Just play in traditional number 10 position and he'll show what he can do.

Once again a 18 yr old is carrying our team, its just no right.

Yeah it's not right since he isn't carrying the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

TheTownie wrote: »
    Looks like Matic is going back to Chelsea. Another CM bites the dust.

Probably the best one available this window too. :(

Anyone that signs for city or chelsea imo have little ambition as those clubs buy anyone and so much wasted talent on the bench... that might seem harsh but i see them both buying several every year and half not getting a chance and then sold on its an awful shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

I would try 2 up front, Kagawa and Januzaj behind them, and 2 CM's anchoring them. Or we could play Rooney, Jan and Kags all behind RVP with licence to roam.

Would be nIce to see but it's not the man utd way without wingers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Anyone that signs for city or chelsea imo have little ambition as those clubs buy anyone and so much wasted talent on the bench... that might seem harsh but i see them both buying several every year and half not getting a chance and then sold on its an awful shame

He'll probably quickly become part of their starting XI as Mourinho doesnt fancy Mikel. Sure yesterday he was playing David Luiz in CM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Some paper has, according to the bbc gossip column, united linked with Coentrao on loan. Anyone know when was the last time United loaned a player? The only loans I can think of in fergusons time are Tevez and that bald French lad in the early nineties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Some paper has, according to the bbc gossip column, united linked with Coentrao on loan. Anyone know when was the last time United loaned a player? The only loans I can think of in fergusons time are Tevez and that bald French lad in the early nineties
    Larsson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yup, Henrik was another one, and we had one all but done in the summer but for stupidity.

Would be nIce to see but it's not the man utd way without wingers

The 'Man Utd way' needs an update.Football has changed.

First time hearing him speak, seems like the cliche old head on young shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

LiamoSail wrote: »

Andy Goram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Lad's if anybody can't see the difference Fletcher made yesterday i am shocked. He was not fantastic but he was positive and started attacks by bringing the ball forward thus bringing Janjuaz and Kagawa more service. The fact is when Cleverley play's he drops so deep he takes himself out of attacks. Instead of turning and pushing forward he passes back to the cb who is now getting closed down and has to hoof it because Cleverley has run off away from the ball and the cb has limited options. Kagawa and Janjuaz are fantastic footballers and you could see yesterday the difference of receiving the ball along the ground inside their opponents half made some difference. When Cleverley play's its more long balls and they are small skillful players and that doesn't suit them. Cleverley is grand as a squad player but he should start very few games for United. Fletcher is not the answer but it show's with a creative cm we would be much more dangerous hopefully we get a top player like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Terrible generalization tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Sky Italia are saying Ando to Fiorentina is just about done.

Good Riddance

Is the Fabio/Zaha to Cardiff move official yet? We can only hope that all these outgoings mean at least 1 incoming.

Good Riddance

You have a serious nasty streak lately when it comes to United players that irritates me.

RasTa wrote: »
    You have a serious nasty streak lately when it comes to United players that irritates me.

You know where the ignore is. At least then you wont get riled up from avatar lol silly rasta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Selling Nani would be seriously fcuked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Is the Fabio/Zaha to Cardiff move official yet? We can only hope that all these outgoings mean at least 1 incoming.

Hopefully, but all the supposed out goers aren't getting a look in so he mite not think they need replacing!!

• Advertisement

You know where the ignore is. At least then you wont get riled up from avatar lol silly rasta

lol indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

But Matic is good enough to get into the Chelsea XI,big difference between the likes of him and a Wright-Philips or Sidwell.Matic is a very good player and will takeMikel/Luis spot in CM.They are buying a player who will improve their first 11.

It appears the Anderson deal is a loan for the rest of the season with option to buy at the end of it.

Seems odd to be letting him go from an already threadbare squad without an incoming, but I guess given that Moyes preferred to play Clev 8 times in 23 days instead of giving him a run he really doesn't rate him even as a squad option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anderson has the ability to be a starter for United. He just needs to apply himself and stay fit, if he can do that on loan for the rest of the season then I'll be happy to take him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Selling Nani would be seriously fcuked up
    Depending on who is brought in to replace him. You can't sit on your laurels forever, he had a couple of fantastic seasons but in truth he has done sweet FA in recent times. I personally don't see him ever becoming as important a player for us as he was, be it through fitness issues or form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Shame as things started so well, played his part in some of our recent success, hopefully he had a bit more luck with injury in the future.

On a personal note I will miss him and he was very popular in the dressing room.

• Advertisement

The very reliable Raphael Honigstein says no chance Dortmund will allow Gundogan to move this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Depending on who is brought in to replace him. You can't sit on your laurels forever, he had a couple of fantastic seasons but in truth he has done sweet FA in recent times. I personally don't see him ever becoming as important a player for us as he was, be it through fitness issues or form.

Who can we buy who's better and available now? I wouldn't mind seeing him go in the summer if we were actually upgrading on him but selling him now when our only other wing options are Januzaj, Young and Tony Volatile is a bit mad.

Anderson wasn't even invited to the party

BdxrQR3CYAAdvaO.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

The very reliable Raphael Honigstein says no chance Dortmund will allow Gundogan to move this month.

Tbh I can only see Gundogan going to one club and thats Real Madrid. However if that happens we should be looking to get Modric as I think a midfield trio of Fellani, Modric and Kawaga would be as good as any in the Prem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Talk of Fabio,Zaha and Anderson leaving on loan must would indicate a few arrivals.I know none of these players have got much playing time this season but it would be leaving the squad very bare.
    Cant believe Zaha didn't get 15-20 mins yesterday,2-0 up and Valencia was doing **** all as usual,it was a perfect situation to give him a bit of time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement