Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Pro. F wrote: »
    the formation used is not the issue with this team.

I wouldn't completely agree with that. A 4,4,2 with our central midfielders is very weak. Always bullied against a good midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

GSPfan wrote: »
    I wouldn't completely agree with that. A 4,4,2 with our central midfielders is very weak. Always bullied against a good midfield.

But we don't play 442. We play 4411/451 with Rooney dropping back to pick up the ball frequently and one, or sometimes both, of the wide men cutting inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I hope Moyes saw who scored that Juve goal

Marchisio with a screamer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Headshot wrote: »
    I hope Moyes saw who scored that Juve goal

Hes only on the pitch 5 minutes too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Tapping the badge, doubt he's going anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

A more competent keeper would have saved that quite easily in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

J. Marston wrote: »

Didn't a certain Liverpool captain do that & then wanted to join Chelsea;)

But we don't play 442. We play 4411/451 with Rooney dropping back to pick up the ball frequently and one, or sometimes both, of the wide men cutting inside.

Fair enough but both those formations only have 2 central midfield players in the centre. Whether you call Rooney a no.10 or an attacking midfielder he still doesn't stop the onslaught through the middle of the park that happens all the time.

I don't think those formations are bad, I just think with our squad of central midfielders they are exposing us. That's why I think the formation is a problem with this team of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

J. Marston wrote: »

They all do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

That should never go in, keeper has got to save it.
    Also, that's one shìt haircut on Pogba, looks like a f**king cassowary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Remember when Pogba left cos Park and Rafael started ahead if him, and Scholes was called out if retirement?

Wonder what Zaha is thinking when Young and Nani are injured and he still can't even get 5 mins when the game is already won?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

The first formation there is the 4222 magic square that Brazil started using in the early 80s. The second one is pretty much what United are already playing. Football formations have not changed and the formation used is not the issue with this team.

I disagree. I think the formation is part of the problem. We are sticking with players such as Valencia because they fit into the formation, rather than using an alternative to accommodate more talented players like Kagawa. Moyes' reliance on wing play is forcing his hand with the formation used, which in turn is influencing the tactics.

Formations have not changed no, but teams have. Teams are finding it too easy against United playing 4-4-2. Our game plan is obvious from the start and teams are able to counter it relatively easily. Indeed, this is down to sub-standard players in part, but as I said alternate formations are available which may better accommodate the team as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

City are how do you say, getting the rub of the green this season arent they

Very unlucky for Krul there. Game over, Ben Arfa is one frustrating ****er to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Keno wrote: »

Commentator mentions David moyes in that clip, Anyone speak Italian? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Moyes was spotted at the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Don't think that's Italian mate, seems to be a clip from Russia/Ukraine or that part of the world ... at least we are making headlines across the continent anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

TBf that goal was fair mediocre

Fair enough but both those formations only have 2 central midfield players in the centre. Whether you call Rooney a no.10 or an attacking midfielder he still doesn't stop the onslaught through the middle of the park that happens all the time.

I don't think those formations are bad, I just think with our squad of central midfielders they are exposing us. That's why I think the formation is a problem with this team of players.

You think Rooney doesn't offer as much defensively as Ozil, Cazorla, Oscar, Gotze, Muller, Mkhitaryan, Kagawa and the like?
    KH25 wrote: »
    I disagree. I think the formation is part of the problem. We are sticking with players such as Valencia because they fit into the formation, rather than using an alternative to accommodate more talented players like Kagawa. Moyes' reliance on wing play is forcing his hand with the formation used, which in turn is influencing the tactics.

Formations have not changed no, but teams have. Teams are finding it too easy against United playing 4-4-2. Our game plan is obvious from the start and teams are able to counter it relatively easily. Indeed, this is down to sub-standard players in part, but as I said alternate formations are available which may better accommodate the team as it is.

How do you know Moyes is picking Valencia to suit the formation?

Kagawa has played on the left a lot this season, cutting inside from there. Evra races forward all the time and is the main outlet wide on the left. Januzaj cuts inside a lot when he plays as well. Often we've ended up with two wide players cutting inside and two attacking fullbacks when Val is dropped back. The narrow play you're calling for is already happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Who could Moyes have been watching in Italy??

You think Rooney doesn't offer as much defensively as Ozil, Cazorla, Oscar, Gotze, Muller, Mkhitaryan, Kagawa and the like?

Why you asking me that? I think Rooney doesn't help stop our central midfielders being slaughtered. None of the above would either. I think a third central midfielder in the middle i.e. Fellaini, in front of Fletch and Carrick would be a strong midfield against good teams.
    I'd then play Rooney and Januzaj ahead of those 3 a little wider (but not wingers) with RVP up top.

You said originally that formation was not the problem with THIS team. I think it is, with THIS team. If the team changes then it could work, but with the players United have now I don't trust any combination of 2 central midfielders to hold their own against the big teams in a 4,4,2 or 4,4,1,1.

Ah, the christmas tree

The full backs are very important in that formation

Stoke doing us a big favour so far,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Liverpool blow 2 goal lead. 2-2.

:D

TBH they werent doing themselves any favours for the first two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Cracking goal from Adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

2 ex pool.players 2

• Advertisement

Why you asking me that? I think Rooney doesn't help stop our central midfielders being slaughtered. None of the above would either. I think a third central midfielder in the middle i.e. Fellaini, in front of Fletch and Carrick would be a strong midfield against good teams.
    I'd then play Rooney and Januzaj ahead of those 3 a little wider (but not wingers) with RVP up top.

You said originally that formation was not the problem with THIS team. I think it is, with THIS team. If the team changes then it could work, but with the players United have now I don't trust any combination of 2 central midfielders to hold their own against the big teams in a 4,4,2 or 4,4,1,1.

I was asking you that to try and show how Rooney's position and role is the same as those players who play in the same position in what is recognised as 4231. Like you say, I don't think any of those other players would stop our midfield being overrun either.

If you want to put somebody like Fellaini in there instead, then yes I agree that would be a change in formation. But you would be taking our best player, Rooney, and sticking him in his least effective position, on the wing. Saying that he wouldn't really be playing out wide (which is what people always say when they try to justify sticking him out there) is just fantasy. He would still have to track back in the wide channel and so his attacking qualities would still end up being nullified. He has shown over the years that he does not work when playing from wide.

Then there's the fact that Fellaini isn't that good creatively. Sticking him between the central midfield and the striker could maybe work if we had a supper talented central midfield, but we obviously don't.

So I don't agree at all that that formation would fix the problems with this team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25665649

Anybody read this Robbie Savage article yet? BRAND NEW

Would there be any chance Moyes was taking a look at Caceres?

Has anyone ever heard of this site BBC SPORT ?
    1364609851997.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Kagawa has played on the left a lot this season, cutting inside from there. Evra races forward all the time and is the main outlet wide on the left. Januzaj cuts inside a lot when he plays as well. Often we've ended up with two wide players cutting inside and two attacking fullbacks when Val is dropped back. The narrow play you're calling for is already happening.

Well I would hope Moyes is picking players to suit a formation.

The problem this season, as far as i can see, is a lack of balance in attack. All the points you make are valid. However we have continued to play with width when the space is elsewhere. Yesterday we used the space presented to us and it paid off. When the space was wide we attacked there, when central we went down that channel.

Re Rooney, I think we should be playing him in his best position which is up front.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Ex footballer who never quite made it to the big time makes sensationalist statements to try and make headlines!

Anything regarding Savage should be banned from the sf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anything regarding Savage should be banned from the sf.

Ex footballer who never quite made it to the big time makes sensationalist statements to try and make headlines!

Have a two minute glance on the players he mentions that has to go. I agree with a lot of them. I've still hope in Smalling, Fellaini, Nani and to a lesser extent Chico but the rest I'd agree with.

Fabrizio Romano @FabRomano21
    Follow

David Moyes is now observing Astori for january, but also Arturo Vidal as next summer possible target #MUFC

Would like this to be the case but if Pogba leaves,I can't see Vidal going aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Trilla wrote: »

Have a two minute glance on the players he mentions that has to go. I agree with a lot of them. I've still hope in Smalling, Fellaini, Nani and to a lesser extent Chico but the rest I'd agree with.

Fabio is not good enough, rio's too old, Anderson's a paperweight, nani spends more time giving the ball away than making assists, I'd like to see them moved on to free up space in the squad but 12 changes is a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Because there must be some explanation for him not being dropped and constantly playing far below the standard he set himself as a winger.

I accept your other points by the way.

It has been announced that due to the imminent departure of Anderson to Fiorentina,United have been forced to lay off half of it's canteen staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Evra,Rio,Giggs,Valencia,Anderson are the 5 players I would have no problem with leaving/retiring in the next 6 months then Young Buttner,Vidic and Fabio in the next 18 months.
    Evra,Rio and Giggs are almost finished and Ando and Valencia just aint good enough.LB and CM bought this window and another 3 or 4 players in the summer and the squad is in a much better position.

Juventus manager Antonio Conte about Marchisio after match- "Manchester United want him? He won't move from Juventus until June"

"Moyes presence doesn't worry me. Maybe he came here for a cultural day out to see a different system to what Utd play"

I enjoy Conte

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

kryogen wrote: »
    I enjoy Conte

N70NPvn.jpg

I just can't imagine more than 2 or 3 transfers in and out this Summer considering how inactive its been under Moyes. Hopefully there is a lot of changes. Just can't imagine it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

CR 7 wrote: »
    N70NPvn.jpg

God, I fúcking love Nathan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Red Crow wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25665649

Anybody read this Robbie Savage article yet? BRAND NEW

I don't support Utd or read the thread often. Seems it was posted before then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement