Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yeah true

Though I think Jose will exploit it and play Willian down that side which could cause us a lot of problems. Chelsea haven't been convincing at all this season, I just hope they don't decide to go up a few gears starting against us.

Willian doesnt bother me too much, Id be bothered by Hazard up against him for the game, I hope Jose reverts to type in these games anyway, we might just have a chance then!

:D:D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7oO3iiJrA-3HExYOAh3Evcx4xghdXlMdaFG_hS0tZ27iYXLtN

If Moreno gets the first TD in the Broncos game Im retiring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

kryogen wrote: »
    If Moreno gets the first TD in the Broncos game Im retiring

Fingers crossed for you. No bet on that but really fancied 49ers today. My picture was bit ott;) cant throw money in air, but it will pay for few clothes I need this week.

If Harris English wins Golf I be happy man. Not staying up for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Everyone knows he has a chip on his shoulder, average footballer with an average brain

That's irrelevant, the fact of the matter is his article has substance and carries weight, it's pretty much 80% accurate with 1/2 maybe's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

That's irrelevant, the fact of the matter is his article has substance and carries weight, it's pretty much 80% accurate with 1/2 maybe's.

I'd give it a 50% accuracy with the players he has mentioned, to be fair any fan or pundit knows this about the team:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Was there ever any explanation as to why Fellaini 's operation was delayed? Seems a strange decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Discodog wrote: »
    Was there ever any explanation as to why Fellaini 's operation was delayed? Seems a strange decision.

He could play with his wrist bandaged and we had a few injuriesm now he was gonna miss a chunk so just sorted it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Discodog wrote: »

A wrist operation wasn't it? And after it was announced that he needed it he sat on the bench for a few weeks not playing before only then going for it?

Heres my personal opinion based upon absolutely nothing but my own gut so if you don't like it then meh to you... I think that the operation is just a convenient smokescreen. I think Felliani started terribly at United because he wasn't a big enough character to cope with the expectation, and that Moyes had no choice but to take him out of the firing line.

Its not the first time that a player couldn't handle the pressure of having to perform at Manchester United, and to say it like it is, Felliani was ****ing rubbish in each of his games for the club so far. Then a wrist injury kept him out altogether? Behave yourself Marouane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

A wrist operation wasn't it? And after it was announced that he needed it he sat on the bench for a few weeks not playing before only then going for it?

Heres my personal opinion based upon absolutely nothing but my own gut so if you don't like it then meh to you... I think that the operation is just a convenient smokescreen. I think Felliani started terribly at United because he wasn't a big enough character to cope with the expectation, and that Moyes had no choice but to take him out of the firing line.

Its not the first time that a player couldn't handle the pressure of having to perform at Manchester United, and to say it like it is, Felliani was ****ing rubbish in each of his games for the club so far. Then a wrist injury kept him out altogether? Behave yourself Marouane.

Nonsense

No, just no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Yea id say every time a player is playing bad, Moyes will get a hammer out and break their arm for them, send them away for a few weeks to recuperate and he won't have to say he dropped them for being muck.
    Expect to see Valencia in a cast soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

it may have been to do with him laughing and joking with the Everton players at the end of the Utd/Everton game. That could not have gone down well with the Utd hierarchy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Conspiracy forum is thataway >>>>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Loltastic. You really are nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Really doubt that, if I remembe Carrick was out with an injury around that time, im guessing they tried to hold out getting the operation and let him play through it while carrick was injured but as a few have mentioned he was on the bench a few times so difficult to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

GSPfan wrote: »

Re Pogba

There's reports he is unsettled in Italy. Someone at Juventus has said that Pogba will probably be sold at some point....

Your second sentence says why we won't... and he won't... Think he is always going to be unsettled no matter where he is... Grass greener etc

Fingers crossed for you. No bet on that but really fancied 49ers today. My picture was bit ott;) cant throw money in air, but it will pay for few clothes I need this week.

If Harris English wins Golf I be happy man. Not staying up for that.

I will not be retiring :( Mighty pissed off at the actual scorer! had 4 Broncos backed in first and anytime markets, he is not one of them!

Edit: Thankfully Welker was an anytime TD bet so if Moreno or Matthews scores now Ill get out with a slight profit

I actually thought he started well initially, not for any length of time, but initially he looked good in the team, no idea when he got the injury though so no idea if it coincided with his drop in form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Anyone that signs for city or chelsea imo have little ambition as those clubs buy anyone and so much wasted talent on the bench... that might seem harsh but i see them both buying several every year and half not getting a chance and then sold on its an awful shame

Or maybe they think they are good enough to make the starting 11 !

Nah top footballers have little ego and lack self confidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Matic to Chelsea.... FFS. Another player who would improve us, going to someone else while United sit on their fooking hands. Well done lads, continue to feck United up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Matic to Chelsea.... FFS. Another player who would improve us, going to someone else while United sit on their fooking hands. Well done lads, continue to feck United up.

link?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You don't have a fúckin' clue what United are doing, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Would a loan deal for Coentrao prevent him from playing in the champions league, or just if we met Madrid in it?

They very possibly had the inside track there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I actually thought he started well initially, not for any length of time, but initially he looked good in the team, no idea when he got the injury though so no idea if it coincided with his drop in form.

I don't think he started well at all. I think he was trying hard enough in the few games he played, but he really looked like he was unsure of what he should be doing and it didn't happen for him at all.

In the first 5 league games he played four full games. From that point on his minutes on the field were 23, 0, 75, 0, 45, 6, 90, 0, and 90. He then had a 'reported' back injury, before finally going for his operation late Dec. He was a £27m midfielder in a team that had a serious and public need for a midfielder and he went from a starting spot to a bit part player. Why do you think that was? His sore wrist?

I clearly said this was just a gut feeling, but he wouldn't be the first person to have made a poor start to a United career and struggled with the pressure. Only time will tell, but I bet you he won't rush back either.

Moyes was over in Italy looking at 2 or 3 players. We are also linked with Coentrao. Relax, it will happen!

My early criticism was mainly him and Carrick taking up too many of the same positions, but other then that I thought he started well initially, in fact I even remember a post I made on this forum remarking how you could see the difference he was going to make to the team even though it was so early, this belief was shared by a few that day. His back and wrist injuries, coupled with being brand new to the team, who were not exactly playing well at the time allow me to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has normally stood tall in the big games of the season (his criticisms at Everton was that he didnt do it often enough against the smaller teams) he is first choice for Belgium who have a good midfield. I dont think it is anything to do with him not handling pressure and I think he will become a very good player for us.

Its not important whether we agree on him really. Time will tell as you say. I doubt I ca change your mind and you wont change mine :)

Devil08 wrote: »
    Moyes was over in Italy looking at 2 or 3 players. We are also linked with Coentrao. Relax, it will happen!

just like it was going to happen in the summer? Yea, remember that 'Just be patient' crap people preached in the summer. That worked out really well, didn't it.

The fact he is scouting players, in mid January, would indicate whoever he is looking at is not a January target - we should dealing for those, not scouting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Shouldnt he know all about these players before the window even opened?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

just like it was going to happen in the summer? Yea, remember that 'Just be patient' crap people preached in the summer. That worked out really well, didn't it.

The fact he is scouting players, in mid January, would indicate whoever he is looking at is not a January target - we should dealing for those, not scouting them.

Yeah but the "Just be patient" aspect saved our heads from yer constant whining that achieves nowt but puts us through quite a bit of insufferable ire. It worked our fantastically in hindsight. If I saw daily, "Oh Woodward and Moyes are ****" etc I woulda ploughed my own eyes out with a pair of rusty spoons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Supposedly Moyes was in the stand at the Juventus match today monitoring Davide Astori. Any truth to this?

David Moyes was at the Juve and Cagliari match, yes.

As to who he was watching, you would have to ask him

For some reason seeing Moyes in Italy reminds me of time Fergie went to see the Chilean striker Salas all those years ago. He looked a cert to come at the time(sky took cameras to viw Fergie watching him). Was around January 98 if my memory serves me correct. Was with River Plate I think at the time.

Ended up in Italy.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Yeah but the "Just be patient" aspect saved our heads from yer constant whining that achieves nowt but puts us through quite a bit of insufferable ire. It worked our fantastically in hindsight. If I saw daily, "Oh Woodward and Moyes are ****" etc I woulda ploughed my own eyes out with a pair of rusty spoons.

oh, the stick your head in the sand way of operating. United can do no wrong, eh? Woodward and Moyes know exactly what they are doing, eh?

Well, I'll leave you to that, and I will continue to criticise as I feel is warranted.

Put me on ignore if you like, I couldn't care less if you read my posts or not.

Supposedly Moyes was in the stand at the Juventus match today monitoring Davide Astori. Any truth to this?

Hope it wasnt Astori, would be a poor signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

oh, the stick your head in the sand way of operating. United can do no wrong, eh? Woodward and Moyes know exactly what they are doing, eh?

Well, I'll leave you to that, and I will continue to criticise as I feel is warranted.

I Literally never said everything would be fine. To judge the transfer window when it is completed is fine and to not constantly bitch and moan about transfer activity based on speculation would be totally cool and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Honestly, slating Moyes at every turn achieves nothing other than making yourself look bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm all for bashing Moyes but at least do it constructivly.

We have no clue if Matic would have ever been interested in going to United, or what way his contract was (he was an ex-Chelsea guy, right?).

It's one thing bemoaning how slow a deal is with Coentrao or players we get linked with, but throwing strops every time any player signs for any team is going to make this thread utterly horrendous...

The paper had us bidding for him a couple of days ago no?

Why get up in a heap about it?

Papers also said he was going to refuse to play v Porto and go on strike to get his move. Did it happen? No

• Advertisement

Hope it wasnt Astori, would be a poor signing.

Really?? You obviously havnt seen any of him then

I'm all for bashing Moyes but at least do it constructivly.

We have no clue if Matic would have ever been interested in going to United, or what way his contract was (he was an ex-Chelsea guy, right?).

It's one thing bemoaning how slow a deal is with Coentrao or players we get linked with, but throwing strops every time any player signs for any team is going to make this thread utterly horrendous...

Good post.

However;

I do see where Mitch and Homer were coming from in the summer though. I was annoyed at start. Many posters said to keep calm. So I did.

Hindsight is wonderful of course, but I think Mitch and Homers rants were warranted even if they may have been OTT from time to time.

By now we should have 2 signings bought. A LB and CM. They should be wrapped up by now.

Really?? You obviously havnt seen any of him then

We can do better then Astori

Good post.

However;

I do see where Mitch and Homer were coming from in the summer though. I was annoyed at start. Many posters said to keep calm. So I did.

Hindsight is wonderful of course, but I think Mitch and Homers rants were warranted even if they may have been OTT from time to time.

By now we should have 2 signings bought. A LB and CM. They should be wrapped up by now.

100% we should have had signings by now, but January is a tough month to do deals for the right players, this has to be considered, obviously Moyes, like Fergie seems to be looking to get who he thinks are the right players or nobody at all. We will see how this works out for him

I will state again though, that if all the player exits are true, even if two of the squad are moved out, be it sold or on loan, it is a signal that incoming transfers are imminent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

So unless we piss and moan about every transfer story in a rag we are clueless with our heads in the sand? Way to brand an entire thread.

The reality is we know bitching won't help us sign anybody and we have no idea whats going to happen so we are patient. If it happens it happen, if not well there is nothing we can do.

This is something entirely out of our control. To get so wound up about it is silly.

We can do better then Astori

He will be at one of the top 3 in Italy soon. Aswell as being a regular in the Italy team. Would be a good signing IMO. Can we attract the best CBs in the world at the moment? Probably not if it's looking like no CL football next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Good post.

However;

Not going to disagree. As I said, I love a good Moyes bashing, and would happily see him gone tomorrow. Just think when there's so much to actually get frustrated with, getting angry over something like that just weakens further "outrages".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

He will be at one of the top 3 in Italy soon. Aswell as being a regular in the Italy team. Would be a good signing IMO. Can we attract the best CBs in the world at the moment? Probably not if it's looking like no CL football next year.

He's 27 and not an improvement on what we have who are younger

100% we should have had signings by now, but January is a tough month to do deals for the right players, this has to be considered, obviously Moyes, like Fergie seems to be looking to get who he thinks are the right players or nobody at all. We will see how this works out for him

I will state again though, that if all the player exits are true, even if two of the squad are moved out, be it sold or on loan, it is a signal that incoming transfers are imminent

Ya I do agree its a tough month. We were never going to get a "world class" or very very good signing, but I think we could have got a player with potential or somebody that would improve us asap.

Im not annoyed with Moyes. I do feel sympathy for the man at the minute. He knows himself he aint a fool, no matter what anyone says.

But I do think we should have brought a freshness to the squad. A signing or 2 might have been a kick to some players. A motivation or intent by Moyes that we are going to give it good shot at Top 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Headshot wrote: »
    Shouldnt he know all about these players before the window even opened?

I agree. It's a bad sign that Moyes is viewing players. His scouts should of already lined up possible signings. By now we should be signing contracts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement