Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

During the summer I wasn't too worried about the transfers being slow to come on. Moyes is known for his careful scouting before buying and it made sense that it would take him a while to find and scout new targets for a new team. But the fact that this window has been open for a while now and we still haven't bought a left back really worries me.

I know there are also serious problems in central midfield, but left back is worse imo. It has been so obvious that Evra is a liability and it would be so simple to fix it. Any journeyman level LB would be better than Evra. I can't understand why that would not have been seen as a priority and a player lined up by now. If this window passes without a LB being signed I'll be very concerned. Imo it would mean that either Moyes has lost the plot or the Glazers have decided they don't want to spend.

Another thing, if we end up buying late in this window, whatever position, I would be worried. There's been the whole of the summer and the first half of the season for the manager to decide what positions are needed and to scout the targets. And Woodward will have had loads of time to prepare his bids or whatever he does.

So, not buying a LB or buying late in this window is not acceptable for me. If either of those things happens then I will think there is something seriously wrong at the club. Who exactly is the problem though, I won't be able to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

titan18 wrote: »
    He's 27 and not an improvement on what we half who are younger

I don't think Moyes was there to see him anyway. It was Vidal, marchisio and ibarbo apparently. I think astori was mentioned as a smoke screen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Hindsight is wonderful of course, but I think Mitch and Homers rants were warranted even if they may have been OTT from time to time.

Warranted? Rants? Can't agree, Moyes and Homer went into meltdown all summer long and have kept it up since and have fault out lied about some of the summers events.

Yes its ok to be annoyed at Moyes and none of us were happy with the window but to have kept it up this long, the petty moaning and bitchy comments is childish and silly.

Moyes and Woodward did the opposite of sit on their arses in the summer, yes they got a lot wrong but we signed a player and they tried for many more quality players.

Listening to Mitch he paints a picture of them not being bothered or caring about f*ing up UTD. If you can listen to that sh1te and call it warranted than you are far more patient than a lot of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Devil08 wrote: »
    He will be at one of the top 3 in Italy soon. Aswell as being a regular in the Italy team. Would be a good signing IMO. Can we attract the best CBs in the world at the moment? Probably not if it's looking like no CL football next year.

Of course we can, as I said I would prefer if Moyes was there looking at Caceres.

He is 27, when do you think he is going to be one of the top 3 in Italy? Is it when some of the ones better then him retire or someting? :confused:

His international career thus far has been a sub appearance where he was sent off. Not exactly inspiring for a 27 year old. You are not talking about buying potential here, he should basically be the finished article now, moving into the prime of his career.

I stand by my comment, we can do better then Astori.

Kurt Zouma would be my preference if you wanna go for a cb who could come straight in imo, but also has the scope to be one of the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pro. F wrote: »
    During the summer I wasn't too worried about the transfers being slow to come on. Moyes is known for his careful scouting before buying and it made sense that it would take him a while to find and scout new targets for a new team. But the fact that this window has been open for a while now and we still haven't bought a left back really worries me.

I know there are also serious problems in central midfield, but left back is worse imo. It has been so obvious that Evra is a liability and it would be so simple to fix it. Any journeyman level LB would be better than Evra. I can't understand why that would not have been seen as a priority and a player lined up by now. If this window passes without a LB being signed I'll be very concerned. Imo it would mean that either Moyes has lost the plot or the Glazers have decided they don't want to spend.

Another thing, if we end up buying late in this window, whatever position, I would be worried. There's been the whole of the summer and the first half of the season for the manager to decide what positions are needed and to scout the targets. And Woodward will have had loads of time to prepare his bids or whatever he does.

So, not buying a LB or buying late in this window is not acceptable for me. If either of those things happens then I will think there is something seriously wrong at the club. Who exactly is the problem though, I won't be able to tell.

Dont think I could agree with this post anymore. Spot on.

While ideally a CM would be badly needed getting just a LB in this window would solve good few problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

You don't have a fúckin' clue what United are doing, to be fair.

Good man! And how far along if even at all is this matic Chelsea deal?

Warranted? Rants? Can't agree, Moyes and Homer went into meltdown all summer long and have kept it up since and have fault out lied about some of the summers events.

Yes its ok to be annoyed at Moyes and none of us were happy with the window but to have kept it up this long, the petty moaning and bitchy comments is childish and silly.

Moyes and Woodward did the opposite of sit on their arses in the summer, yes they got a lot wrong but we signed a player and they tried for many more quality players.

Listening to Mitch he paints a picture of them not being bothered or caring about f*ing up UTD. If you can listen to that sh1te and call it warranted than you are far more patient than a lot of us.

Lot of it was down to frustration, lot of which I felt myself if honest and I say many were afraid to agree with them.

Once 1st of August came I could not help but feel they were going to be right and that last summer was going to turn into a disaster.

the signs were all there but many did not want to know or believe it.

Pro. F wrote: »

As long as the target has been identified and they have been trying to get him in, and do, I wont be too upset when it happens in the window. Sometimes deals take time to push through so it might not strictly be the clubs fault that the player, or players they are trying to sign are being held on to by their clubs for more money or until they can get a player in or whatever.

If no signings are made I will be worried though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Trilla wrote: »

Reports have said he isn't training with Benfica to push the move through.

Thats bs as he started for Benfica vs Porto. Isn't he a DMF? where we need more of a creative force.

Trilla wrote: »

I believe they are "preparing" a bid, or prepared to bid maybe ;)

He was refusing to play against Porto tonight he wanted to make the move so much. He played though, strangely. Maybe the papers are not to be treated as gospel?

• Advertisement

Reports have said he isn't training with Benfica to push the move through.

Thats bs as he started for Benfica vs Porto. Isn't he a DMF? where we need more of a creative force.

He has a bit of creativity to his game in his defence. Good player

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

kryogen wrote: »
    As long as the target has been identified and they have been trying to get him in, and do, I wont be too upset when it happens in the window. Sometimes deals take time to push through so it might not strictly be the clubs fault that the player, or players they are trying to sign are being held on to by their clubs for more money or until they can get a player in or whatever.

If no signings are made I will be worried though.

Yeah you're right, deals can take time to make happen. But after Fellaini went to the final day in the last window and with it being so obvious we need some signings this window, I'd be worried that it's a sign of a trend if we went late in this window too.

MORENO!!!! get in there! slight profit :)

So sorry for the off topic posting, related to an earlier, off topic post

Last one

MORENO!!!! get in there! slight profit :)

So sorry for the off topic posting, related to an earlier, off topic post

Last one

You never had any doubt:p

You never had any doubt:p

The way this went I had plenty of doubt :) the other guy is injured so he had no hope!

On topic, apparently United are trying to sign Saul Niguez. Thats why Phil Neville was at the game

Yep, anything to make it on topic.

The way this went I had plenty of doubt :) the other guy is injured so he had no hope!

On topic, apparently United are trying to sign Saul Niguez. Thats why Phil Neville was at the game

Some of tomorrows back pages

http://balls.ie/news/the-sports-pages-are-all-about-the-pardew-rant/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

The Star has us lining up bid for Mata and Vidal.

Actually does anybody know site that does Sports back pages everyday?

know balls.ie do it somedays but not all.

Be handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Some of tomorrows back pages

http://balls.ie/news/the-sports-pages-are-all-about-the-pardew-rant/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

The Star has us lining up bid for Mata and Vidal.

Actually does anybody know site that does Sports back pages everyday?

know balls.ie do it somedays but not all.

Be handy.

Do you not have the sky sports app. They have a daily newspaper bit every morning and evening which summarises all the headlines.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Do you not have the sky sports app. They have a daily newspaper bit every morning and evening which summarises all the headlines.

Good man. will check that out

Sky have Chelsea bidding £20 million for Matic but there is a buy out clause of £37 million.
    Don't Chelsea have to start worrying about the Financial Fair Play rules. I heard somewhere they are projected to be a good £30 million over the target when the rules apply next year or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

FFP is bollóx

• Advertisement

I'd imagine backpagefootball would.
    Bit ironic if they don't!

Sky have Chelsea bidding £20 million for Matic but there is a buy out clause of £37 million.
    Don't Chelsea have to start worrying about the Financial Fair Play rules. I heard somewhere they are projected to be a good £30 million over the target when the rules apply next year or whatever.

Are they now bidding?

Earlier they were understood to be "prepared to bid £21 million" to land him.

Are they now bidding?

Earlier they were understood to be "prepared to bid £21 million" to land him.

"Sky sources are reporting that Chelsea have made a £20m bid. "

So it's probably correct.

FFP is bollóx

I've heard people say that but surely Fifa or Uefa or whoever will enforce it. I'd love to see it tested. Would love nothing more than a team to be banned from European competition or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I've heard people say that but surely Fifa or Uefa or whoever will enforce it. I'd love to see it tested. Would love nothing more than a team to be banned from European competition or something.

It's just going to make the gap between the elite and smaller clubs bigger and then burn the bridge between them.

To use City as an example, the Sheikh that owns them is one of the deputy prime ministers of the UAE and 4 of City's 7 main sponsors are owned by that country. So Mansour can funnel money into one of the companies which in turn can give money to City in "sponsor" money, how can you differentiate between what's legitimate sponsor money and what's not?

I'd love to see a more level playing field with teams being made spend within their means, make them all pretty much self sustaining, but without much thought into it I don't know how you'd implement such a thing.

But Imo FFP won't work at all, it seems like a "please the people" political thing where the powers promise a lot but don't deliver much.

Anyway that's probably a topic for another thread,

has Coentrao signed yet or what!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

some people on here in the past have questioned whether we should re-sign pogba cos we'd look like fools but chelsea are about to do the same thing with matic.

i for one have no problem if we re-sign him or how much he's gonna cost. if we had to pay 50mill then so be it. the lad is gonna be world class. have a feelin he'll end up at real madrid and they'll pay the price tag and no one will bat an eye lid at it. people are already over Bales price.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

is Coentrao any good lads ive never seen him play,watching a greatest hits on youtube doesnt tell me what his really like

I have heard that Uefa or Fifa or whoever are setting up a commitee to combat that inflated sponsorship problem. I don't know if it will work but I hope it will.

Once Platini's son became involved with PSG all of sudden FFP is not really going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Good god, just thinking of the sig possibilities.

Immediately jumping out at me is a "Better Call Saul" one.

Then you have the 2nd name, "Don't mess with my Niguez".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

"Sky sources are reporting that Chelsea have made a £20m bid. "

So it's probably correct.

No mention of him on SkyBet, might be something in it! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

No mention of him on SkyBet, might be something in it! :pac:

You will find a lot of Chelsea fans are split about him tbh
    1/ for resigning a player we let go and 2/ being slightly underwhelmed at his quality. Is he any better than Mikel or Luiz?

BTW this will be funded by selling KDB. We will show a healthy profit on that for the FPP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

1/ for resigning a player we let go and 2/ being slightly underwhelmed at his quality. Is he any better than Mikel or Luiz?

BTW this will be funded by selling KDB. We will show a healthy profit on that for the FPP

How much you getting for De Bruyne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bullvine wrote: »
    How much you getting for De Bruyne?

£18 million was quoted.

The Star saying we are going to lodge a bid for Mata after meeting his agent in Spain.I reckon Jose will tell us to feck off but no harm trying as depending on his mood Jose might just say yes.

Reus tweeted yesterday that he'd never join Bayern,sign him up Moysie.

I dont think you will find a lot of Chelsea fans questioning his quality actually.

Not sure what you mean about the FFP, KDB will bring in less then Matic would sell, your net spend will still go up?

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    £18 million was quoted.

The Star saying we are going to lodge a bid for Mata after meeting his agent in Spain.I reckon Jose will tell us to feck off but no harm trying as depending on his mood Jose might just say yes.

Reus turned Bayern down, as things stand (Dortmund competing) he wont leave anyway.

If Reus signs for United I will run from Waterford to Cork, naked. No you know whats as far fetched, I will eat my own head. If Reus signs for United, I will eat my own head.

£18 million was quoted.

You must have the wrong twitter account because he hasn't tweeted in a few weeks. Unless he deleted the tweet you refer to.
    Anyway it does seem clear he doesn't like bayern, can't see why he wouldn't consider us TBH if we bid for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont think you will find a lot of Chelsea fans questioning his quality actually.

Not sure what you mean about the FFP, KDB will bring in less then Matic would sell, your net spend will still go up?

We'll lose about 3-5 million depending on figures you believe for Matic/De Bruyne.

But last years loss of money was down in no small part in missing out on UCL money which for TV rights and going longer in the competition is a huge factor.

Also there'll be players shipped out in the summer, more sold then brought in I reckon, so with incoming transfer fees and reducing wages we'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Reus turned Bayern down, as things stand (Dortmund competing) he wont leave anyway.

If Reus signs for United I will run from Waterford to Cork, naked. No you know whats as far fetched, I will eat my own head. If Reus signs for United, I will eat my own head.

bookmarked until Reus retires. :pac:

Devil08 wrote: »
    You must have the wrong twitter account because he hasn't tweeted in a few weeks. Unless he deleted the tweet you refer to.
    Anyway it does seem clear he doesn't like bayern, can't see why he wouldn't consider us TBH if we bid for him

OOPS,got it arseways,the tweet was from somebody who interviewed him.

"I wish luck to Lewandowski & Götze, but Bayern will never sign me. Money is not everything." - Marco Reus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

"I wish luck to Lewandowski & Götze, but Bayern will never sign me. Money is not everything." - Marco Reus

Wait until Bayern offer him said money.

Strootman's stats for yesterday's game against Genoa.

Passes completed - 99

Pass completion ratio - 96%

Key passes - 5

Tackles won - 5

Interceptions - 4

Touches - 117

Another one that a few said "we didn't need",we could feckin' do with him now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Don't know if it has been posted but Mundo Deportivo reporting that Nemanja has signed a pre-contract with Galatasary.

Not happy at all if true, he's certainly declining with regards fitness, but he's the club captain and still a fantastic defender.

Sorry can't link, on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Corvo wrote: »
    Don't know if it has been posted but Mundo Deportivo reporting that Nemanja has signed a pre-contract with Galatasary.

Not happy at all if true, he's certainly declining with regards fitness, but he's the club captain and still a fantastic defender.

The Indo had a small bit about that yesterday in the story about Coentrao

It said that Galatasaray had hoped to hold further talks Vidic's representatives this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Corvo wrote: »

They are as bad as the Sun, Daily Mail, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

If vidic evra rio and giggs finish this season who would you place as club captain? If Rooney sticks with us I'd make him captain may even give him more incentive to stay at united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Give it to Carrick or De Gea

Sirsok wrote: »
    If vidic evra rio and giggs finish this season who would you place as club captain? If Rooney sticks with us I'd make him captain may even give him more incentive to stay at united

Rooney with carrick as vc
    Doubt it would be enough to make Rooney stay if he was thinking of leaving though!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement