Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Corvo wrote: »
    Don't know if it has been posted but Mundo Deportivo reporting that Nemanja has signed a pre-contract with Galatasary.

Not happy at all if true, he's certainly declining with regards fitness, but he's the club captain and still a fantastic defender.

Sorry can't link, on the phone
    Give them vidic we take sneijder maybe? Hmm interesting times ahead at united if we see some good signings the future is red lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

clearly it has to go to welbeck :P rooney is logical only if he stays beyond that maybe RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Give them vidic we take sneijder maybe? Hmm interesting times ahead at united if we see some good signings the future is red lads

Yeeeaaaaaahhhh let's keep the sneijder rumour going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If Vidic and Rio are gone, based on current selections I would say the captaincy would have to go to Rooney, Evans or Carrick. Don't see any other candidates. Or Ronaldo. When he comes home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

If Vidic and Rio are gone, based on current selections I would say the captaincy would have to go to Rooney, Evans or Carrick. Don't see any other candidates. Or Ronaldo. When he comes home.

If Fletcher is back to full fitness then surely him or Rooney.

Also RVP is National team captain so he will be up there above Evans IMO.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    If Fletcher is back to full fitness then surely him or Rooney.

Also RVP is National team captain so he will be up there above Evans IMO.

I don't think Fletcher would be first choice in the side - or at least I hope he isn't - so I wouldn't make him captain. the team captain should be playing most of the time. Fletcher could be club captain though - as Giggs/Neville were I believe.

Yeeeaaaaaahhhh let's keep the sneijder rumour going

All transfers are rumors til we see players unveiled... none of us really know anything thats going on at united behind doors lets be honest..

On a side note i have a serious love for the way sneijder plays ball.. would love to see him cause trouble for us in PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Devil08 wrote: »
    You must have the wrong twitter account because he hasn't tweeted in a few weeks. Unless he deleted the tweet you refer to.
    Anyway it does seem clear he doesn't like bayern, can't see why he wouldn't consider us TBH if we bid for him

Perhaps the thought of seeing a team mate he played with and who ripped up the German league being played out of position for a year and half would weigh on his my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Corvo wrote: »
    Give it to Carrick or De Gea

I hate seeing goalkeepers wearing the armband. You need a Roy Keane out in the thick of it to be captain, just like Vidic is currently. "He comes from Serbia..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Rumours were linked with Isco now!! Not a hope of that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I hate seeing goalkeepers wearing the armband. You need a Roy Keane out in the thick of it to be captain, just like Vidic is currently. "He comes from Serbia..."

I don't know Keepers can be pretty influencial, Kahn and the great Dane spring to mind, but I agree that I wouldn't have DDG as captian, too timid at the moment.

For me I would give it to Rooney, United ticks when he's on form, Look what happened when Beckham was handed the captaincy for England it spurred him on the pitch and his performances got better and better, if it happened to Rooney we would be better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

If Rooney is still at the club then he has to be given the armband. He has the right attitude and level of aggression on the pitch. Carrick and De Gea are a bit too quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

18 days left and the 200m warchest is still intact, not even opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Devil08 wrote: »
    Rumours were linked with Isco now!! Not a hope of that one

In one way would make sense...lots of talk that Real Madrid wants Mata.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

18 days left and the 200m warchest is still intact, not even opened.

Saving it for the Summer it would seem...

• Advertisement

Will we see a last minute of transfer window again with baines coming our way for silly money? Please no my ****ing nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Inter Milan president Erick Thohir claims Fredy Guarin has an offer from a 'big club' and cannot be 'forced to stay'.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9114185/transfer-news-inter-milan-concede-that-fredy-guarin-could-be-leaving

We should stay away from him as far as possible. He won't improve us and he wants 4 Million Euro wages at Inter for extension(that's net wages btw).

I would rather play Jones, Fellaini, Carrick, Fletcher play than sign Guarin. He would be a deadwood by the end of the season.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    We should stay away from him as far as possible. He won't improve us and he wants 4 Million Euro wages at Inter for extension(that's net wages btw).

I would rather play Jones, Fellaini, Carrick, Fletcher play than sign Guarin. He would be a deadwood by the end of the season.

Looks like its Chelsea thats in for him from what I'm hearing.

According to Tuttosport (Turin, Italy), the directors of United and Juventus will be having a meeting before the end of this week to discuss potential transfer deals between the two.

http://www.tuttosport.com/calcio/serie_a/juventus/2014/01/12-282351/Juve%2C+Moyes+al+Sant%27Elia+per+i+gioielli+della+Juve

Possible transfer deals include Nani, Vidic, Marchisio, Vidal, Pogba and Liechsteiner.

I know he is getting long in the tooth but I would love to see Pirlo here for a season, just to see him in a UTD jersey.

• Advertisement

Looks like its Chelsea thats in for him from what I'm hearing.

Hopefully they sign Guarin so that we can sign Matic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

On a light-hearted note, I'm currently in the process of reading Sir Alex's book and I must say I did some chuckling at his account of Gary Pallister. He said that surprisingly he had the same pace and ball skill as Rio but Pally said himself that "the less he done (in training) the better he felt". He also tells of a story of arriving at his house to bring him to a charity dinner and when he arrived in the kitchen he discovered a half drank bottle of coke and a big bag of sweets (mars bars, rolos etc.). He asked Pally's wife what was going on and she said "I try telling him but he can't help himself". Gary came down the stairs eventually and pinned the blame of the junk-food on the wife :D

Another time, he went off to get treated for a cut during a match and he was roaring. It was the first time he got cut during his career and apparently he fancied himself as a bit of a Cary Grant!

What a man :D I'd take that sort of personality any day of the week over the apparent character but poor form of Evra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

On a light-hearted note, I'm currently in the process of reading Sir Alex's book and I must say I did some chuckling at his account of Gary Pallister. He said that surprisingly he had the same pace and ball skill as Rio but Pally said himself that "the less he done (in training) the better he felt". He also tells of a story of arriving at his house to bring him to a charity dinner and when he arrived in the kitchen he discovered a half drank bottle of coke and a big bag of sweets (mars bars, rolos etc.). He asked Pally's wife what was going on and she said "I try telling him but he can't help himself". Gary came down the stairs eventually and pinned the blame of the junk-food on the wife :D

Another time, he went off to get treated for a cut during a match and he was roaring. It was the first time he got cut during his career and apparently he fancied himself as a bit of a Cary Grant!

What a man :D I'd take that sort of personality any day of the week over the apparent character but poor form of Evra.

Pally is a Legend
    Supremely underrated and should've been capped more times by England
    His free kick v blackburn in 1993...unbelievable...
    Andy gray saying "g'wan big man, have a go"...and he buries it in the bottom corner
    The one and only jersey i ever had had Pally on the back of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The Manchester United of the 90's had some serious characters in it, really strong characters everywhere. Robson, Ince, Steve Bruce, Cantona, Pallister, Mark Hughes, The great Dane, Roy Keane. Its no wonder that the class of '92 developed so well with so many strong characters around the club to learn from, and its also no surprise that so many of them went on into management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Not one of you suggested Big Phil for the captaincy? For shame, for shame....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

According to Tuttosport (Turin, Italy), the directors of United and Juventus will be having a meeting before the end of this week to discuss potential transfer deals between the two.

http://www.tuttosport.com/calcio/serie_a/juventus/2014/01/12-282351/Juve%2C+Moyes+al+Sant%27Elia+per+i+gioielli+della+Juve

Possible transfer deals include Nani, Vidic, Marchisio, Vidal, Pogba and Liechsteiner.

I know he is getting long in the tooth but I would love to see Pirlo here for a season, just to see him in a UTD jersey.
    give them whatever they want for Vidal

yabadabado wrote: »
    give them whatever they want for Vidal

Sell us Pogba? - No.
    Sell us Vidal? - No.
    Sell us Marchisio? - No... by the way we are signing Vidic on a free at the end of the season. Great doing business with you.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Not one of you suggested Big Phil for the captaincy? For shame, for shame....

I do think he could be captain in the future, if he fulfils his potential, but there are far too many question marks over him. I would have Smalling as possible future captain material too - but again it depends on him consistently showing the best of himself, and nailing down a start place.

Sell us Pogba? - No.
    Sell us Vidal? - No.
    Sell us Marchisio? - No... by the way we are signing Vidic on a free at the end of the season. Great doing business with you.

sad to say but that is the most likely outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Manchester United of the 90's had some serious characters in it, really strong characters everywhere. Robson, Ince, Steve Bruce, Cantona, Pallister, Mark Hughes, The great Dane, Roy Keane. Its no wonder that the class of '92 developed so well with so many strong characters around the club to learn from, and its also no surprise that so many of them went on into management.

You can be sure if we had a few characters like that in the current squad we wouldn't have so many passengers in the team and definitley wouldn't be in the position we're in.

Regarding the captaincy,no way would I give it to Carrick,he just doesn't have the personality for it,too laid back & quiet on the field.

• Advertisement

Except Rooney there really isn't any outstanding candidate for the captaincy if Vidic leaves.

Except Rooney there really isn't any outstanding candidate for the captaincy if Vidic leaves.

And whether Rooney will remain is the question mark on him - if he doesn't sign a contract before the summer, we can't give him the captaincy. You can't give captaincy to someone who is trying to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I would give it to Rooney (if he is planning on signing a new contract, obviously not if he has the intention to leave) or Fletcher. They are the two who stand out as having the experience and the real fighting spirit necessary. They set the example with their attitude and their work rate.

v3ttel wrote: »
    I would give it to Rooney (if he is planning on signing a new contract, obviously not if he has the intention to leave) or Fletcher. They are the two who stand out as having the experience and the real fighting spirit necessary. They set the example with their attitude and their work rate.

If Rooney signs a new contract, the armband goes to him (rightly or wrongly).

I can't see how it could be given to Fletcher. Model pro, and delighted he is back in the squad, but if we are playing him regularly next season as a starter, than the Summer window will have gone as badly as last summers and this januarys. Fletcher shouldn't be first choice next season, so can't be captain, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Captaincy must go to Rooney IMO.

Fletch and Carrick are no doubt great professionals, but our captain must be an integral part of the team. If we are to get our wish, and sign two World Class CMs (1 being an AMC) in the summer, then it is their places that are up for grabs essentially. No point having a Captain who WE are trying to replace.

I think by giving Rooney the armband AND signing two WC CMs, along with clearing some deadwood and signing a talented Winger, Rooney could be convinced to stay for the long term.

And whether Rooney will remain is the question mark on him - if he doesn't sign a contract before the summer, we can't give him the captaincy. You can't give captaincy to someone who is trying to leave.
    100% agree ,unless he signs a contract he cant be captain.captaincy is only an issue if Vidic leaves and if him and Rio go I presume Evans will be first choice CB and I would probably give it to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If Rooney signs a new contract, the armband goes to him (rightly or wrongly).

I can't see how it could be given to Fletcher. Model pro, and delighted he is back in the squad, but if we are playing him regularly next season as a starter, than the Summer window will have gone as badly as last summers and this januarys. Fletcher shouldn't be first choice next season, so can't be captain, imo.

Fletch would be the main choice,he knows what it takes.Just to think in his early years in the team I held him in the same regard as Cleverley but I fear Cleverley will never up his game the way Fletch has.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Would you take Mata and £10mil for Rooney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Agueroooo wrote: »

No matter who we get in, Rooney would be a huge loss and it would kill me to see him elsewhere. Think this season has showed just how important and dominant he can be in game.

• Advertisement

Not sure - as I fear Moyes would struggle to use Mata as he has Struggled to use Kagawa.

RVP
    Mata-Kagawa-Januzaj

With the width being provided by the full backs, and that forward 4 (and full backs) being defensively supported by two solid, quality, central midfielders.

That would potentially soften the blow of losing our talisman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

100% agree ,unless he signs a contract he cant be captain.captaincy is only an issue if Vidic leaves and if him and Rio go I presume Evans will be first choice CB and I would probably give it to him.

Evans probably has the most character of the players that have been in the squad consistently this year. He gave out to Carrick ffs.

Wouldn't be a bad option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Chelsea would gain far more out of that than United so no although i would love Mata. I could only imagine the amount of goals Rooney would score from their service.

Rooney for captain for me and Rafael as vice captain. Both of them are leaders and give everything on the field.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Chelsea would gain far more out of that than United so no although i would love Mata. I could only imagine the amount of goals Rooney would score from their service.

But with Rooney running his contract down, Mata and money could be the best we can do - rather than lose Rooney for little/nothing January 2015 or that summer.

I dunno really. If he doesn't sign a new contract by the summer, I don't know what United should do. I reckon if they could sell him abroad they would (think they would have this summer as it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Nuts102 wrote: »

Exactly. Losing Rooney, especially to Chelsea, should be the last option imaginable.

I would prefer Moyes to build the the team around him and Januzaj. Offer them the support and service they need to flourish. I really do believe it will happen................I just don't know when.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I wouldnt, given how much Utd paid for RVP in his last year of his contract and how much we should be able to get for Mata if we sold elsewhere, that deal would suit Utd better, money wise.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I wouldnt, given how much Utd paid for RVP in his last year of his contract and how much we should be able to get for Mata if we sold elsewhere, that deal would suit Utd better, money wise.

Does money matter though, really?

You aren't using Mata, really, and would be getting a striker that would bag 30+ goals a season supplied by Oscar, Hazard and Willian.

Money wise, it may favour United, but footballing wise it would favour Chelsea. Had that deal been done in the summer I think Chelsea would be top of the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rooney could be planning on leaving anyway, then a new striker would be needed. Chelsea are waiting to see if they can get Rooney, if not the word is they plan to go after Falcao.

I wouldn't be planning on building any team around a player whose future is unknown.

Every player is replaceable once the right signings are made, I am sure everyone is looking forward to another summer of the Rooney soap opera...
    He has been our best player this season but that changes nothing if he is not going to commit or his manager is looking for a nice slice of a transfer fee...

GavRedKing wrote: »

How much do you really think you will get for him. I can't see you selling to City, Italian team;s won't pay massive money. Madrid and Barca don't need him. Would he go to PSG i am not sure with their new tax break. He has not played all season i can't see him going for much more than 20 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Does money matter though, really?

You aren't using Mata, really, and would be getting a striker that would bag 30+ goals a season supplied by Oscar, Hazard and Willian.

Money wise, it may favour United, but footballing wise it would favour Chelsea. Had that deal been done in the summer I think Chelsea would be top of the table.

For teams like us, money probably doesnt matter but its the value side of it more then anything, the transfer is arguably worth 35-40 million if its Mata and money.

I'd agree on the footballing side, when our top striker has 5 league goals it says it all really.

Personally I'd rather see us throw money at Rooney and sell Mata abroad.

I cant see Mata at Utd or Rooney at Chelsea though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement