Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

The subs are fine but we're missing at least 3 starting 11 players and the starting 11 is pretty important..

We're also missing a gameplan beyond Cross, Cross, Cross, Cross, Cross etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Timmyctc wrote: »

Hard to do anything else with a midfield void of creativity

TheDoc wrote: »
    Hard to do anything else with a midfield void of creativity

Well clearly we're set up to pass to val>Poor Cross into box>Corner?>Don't score from Corner>Concede from set piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Hang on!

You tell me the squad is not in a "mess" and yet you list 9 players(listed above) from 28 (I think) that aint good enough or on way down.

If that is not a mess then I dont know what is.

You also have Carrick as a player worth sticking around.

Basically a 1/3 of the team are in need of reinvestment and yet club is ok?

Plans should have been put in place for replacments for 1-2 seasons now. Maybe Woodward and Moyes know what they are doing.

I sure hope so.

I also said the squad is bloated so I don't think we need to directly replace those 9/10 players with 9/10 very good ones. As I said, 4/5 players are what is needed imo, no more.

And ~18 players that you're happy with to go into the next 3/4 years + with is not a mess in my book, I'd call that a great base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I agree but this could be to do with the midfield we have, it's hard to base something on foundations that look like crumbling, if we had better midfielders maybe he'd put more emphasis on passing but we don't so crossing seems like the only option really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Very strong squad out by City tonight

RasTa wrote: »
    Very strong squad out by City tonight

who scored?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

who scored?
    Negrado

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Blatter wrote: »
    I also said the squad is bloated so I don't think we need to directly replace those 9/10 players with 9/10 very good ones. As I said, 4/5 players are what is needed imo, no more.

And ~18 players that you're happy with to go into the next 3/4 years + with is not a mess in my book, I'd call that a great base.

I do think we have good squad. I think we both agree on that.

My first post that you replied too was really based on the fact the the 4/5 players we needed should have been in place by now. At least 2-3 anyway. We need at least 3 World Class players imo.

We are only 4-5 players away from being a Top European side imo. The problem and my concern is that the players we could have attracted in past 1-2 years aint so keen to come to OT now.

Had we solved the CM much sooner I have no doubt we piss into the Top 4 this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

who scored?
    Negredo after an unbelievable ball from Yaya.

Negredo after an unbelievable ball from Yaya.

Yaya. I would give my left bollock to have him play for us

Nevermind he's injured himself now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    For me, and I doubt Moyes will see it the same way, but for me these things have to happen:

-Tom Cleverley must be dropped. I am not someone who thinks we should sell Tom, but the lad is absolutely shot of confidence and is detrimental to the team at the moment.

-Anderson must take his place, hold on! HOLD ON! Don't hit quote and have a go at me yet, I know Anderson is crap. BUT, when Anderson is crap, he is crap in a positive way. He misplaces a pass, but its a forward pass. He is willing to take the ball from deep and attack a team, this is what we need, we should be patient with his crapness and hope his positivity rubs off on the other lads.

-We should pick two CBs and play them every game until one is injured, and I think Vidic should be one of them, and maybe Smalling the other. Evans for me is prone to a lapse and is poor defending crosses, which has been killing us lately.

-I think its time to start Januzaj every game. A lot of responsibility for one so young, but **** it, if you're good enough you're old enough, and he is.

-Drop Valencia. He doesn't believe in himself so how can his team-mates? We can't afford his "dance of indecision" he does when he can't make up his mind and then just drills it low to the first defender. He does good when he doesn't think, give him a few weeks on the bench to think about not thinking.

-Tell Evra to do one. Either get a new left back or play Buttner, at least when Buttner plays crap he gives it his best shot, Evra seems like he couldn't give a ****.

-Work on set-pieces, how many corners did Spurs give us? It was a miracle Vidic got his head on one last night because by and large we never score from them and we concede at least a goal a game because of them, sort that **** out.

-STOP GOING TO THE WING EVERY BLOODY TIME. The predictability of our game at the moment is sickening.

-A new sig for Mikeyt086. I've sorted that, I've done my part.

Can you be manager please Mikey? Kthx.

Nevermind he's injured himself now :pac:

Nevermind again, hes not injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

One thing that's annoying me is that peopel keep saying we've done weill in the Champions League, have we fcuk!

We qualified, nothing special at all about our performances against some pretty weak teams, we've got one of the weakest teams in the knockout round in Olympiakos, if we win that then all we'll get is "Ah sure, we've got to the QF, things are looking up" Wait till we play a quality team, they'll rip us a new hole

My spoilers won't work :(

Ah now they do

Score update
    Negredo X2, he's some player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

KH25 wrote: »
    Playing Januzaj every game is the one thing I would question. He is obviosuly very talented and could be something special, but I think the team needs to be able to cope without him.

Leave him out as the team needs to be able to cope without him?

The team being able to cope when he is present would be a start.

He is one of the few positives in recent performances and should start every game he is available as he is a better option than the alternatives.

scudzilla wrote: »
    One thing that's annoying me is that peopel keep saying we've done weill in the Champions League, have we fcuk!

We qualified, nothing special at all about our performances against some pretty weak teams, we've got one of the weakest teams in the knockout round in Olympiakos, if we win that then all we'll get is "Ah sure, we've got to the QF, things are looking up" Wait till we play a quality team, they'll rip us a new hole

We put 9-2 aggregate against the team 2nd in Bundesliga. Thats not bad. Cant recall what spanish team we played but they werent bad afair

• Advertisement

I fear for Sunderland in Cup final against City.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

v3ttel wrote: »
    Leave him out as the team needs to be able to cope without him?

The team being able to cope when he is present would be a start.

He is one of the few positives in recent performances and should start every game he is available as he is a better option than the alternatives.

Let me rephrase what I said. Firstly, we don't want to burn him out playing every game. Secondly, its been pretty clear that both himself and Rooney are being relied upon to make magic happen every game. The team needs to get away from that. There are 8 other outfield players on the pitch that should be able to chip in when they are needed.

So maybe its not that the team needs to be able to cope without him, but to rely on him less.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I fear for Sunderland in Cup final against City.

We will be playing City in the final.

I fear for us if we have to play Citeh in this:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

City play some gorgeous stuff. I wish utd could play like that. Of course the money helps but having a manager known for his attractive style is a big positive and is the reason why city are playing beautiful stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Can you be manager please Mikey? Kthx.

Noooooooooope.

I'd creep all the players out by taking snapchats with them when they're not looking.

• Advertisement

We used to play great football. Our football used to be as good as any.

Last few seasons have been horrible. This season its being unbearable at times.

I missed the days when we were most dangerous when defending a corner. I miss those lovely one touch passes into open space or those lovely creative passes so strikers had least 5 decent chances in a game.

Its only now I realise how bloody dam good Paul Scholes and Beckham were. Never appreciated these type of players till they were gone. Just picking those2 as examples.

Headshot wrote: »
    City play some gorgeous stuff. I wish utd could play like that. Of course the money helps but having a manager known for his attractive style is a big positive and is the reason why city are playing beautiful stuff

All the players are full of confidence, they pass backwards as a last resort and hold the ball until they take someone out of position, we, on the other hand, pass the ball to pass responsibility onto someone else. It's night and day. They are a top team right now, we are not... And it hurts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I have to say I really dont get this "burn out" talk about an 18yr old. Giggs, beckham rooney and started atca young agevand rooney played week in and out from 16-17 yrs off age.

Before somebody goes on about giggs in his early 20's that was to do with his off field work load.( and no not shaggin) I would actually be more worried about burning out a 40yr old!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Trilla wrote: »
    Encase anyone missed it

The open letter was good until he got to his player wish list, Essien and Morrison, seriously :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

We used to play great football. Our football used to be as good as any.

Last few seasons have been horrible. This season its being unbearable at times.

I missed the days when we were most dangerous when defending a corner. I miss those lovely one touch passes into open space or those lovely creative passes so strikers had least 5 decent chances in a game.

Its only now I realise how bloody dam good Paul Scholes and Beckham were. Never appreciated these type of players till they were gone. Just picking those2 as examples.

Probably one of the best Utd goals in recent years

• Advertisement

Imagine what RVP, Rooney, Nani and Januzaj could do with Toure and Fernandinho behind them if Dzeko, Negredo, Sliva and Nasri are so effective

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The movement for that goal was just exceptional - ripped them apart ... how things have changed :(

Can't be having that, where's the cross?

1.5/10

Sexual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You mean to say Nani and Jan are much superior players?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Headshot wrote: »

The managers philosophy is a big part in how the team plays. Mancini had pretty much the same team and a lot of the time they played with the hand brake on and didnt look anywhere near as good as this seasons team

Few more goals in City match I say for team in blue.

Sam could be looking for job back at Limerick soon if he keeps this up.

gosplan wrote: »
    You mean to say Nani and Jan are much superior players?

-and where did I say that?

As a collective 4, IMO the the first 4 are better than the second. If we're looking at it individually obviously it would be different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The open letter was good until he got to his player wish list, Essien and Morrison, seriously :eek:

You know what, I'd nearly take them

nearly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

irishfeen wrote: »
    The movement for that goal was just exceptional - ripped them apart ... how things have changed :(

Ya now we play statue football or the closest thing to human Subbuteo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

City have spent a billion on players since 2008.

You would expect them to be performing by now

Ya now we play statue football or the closest thing to human Subbuteo

Thats the best analogy I've seen or read anywhere. Great stuff.

Better than that god awful "cake machine" one anyway :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

RasTa wrote: »
    City have spent a billion on players since 2008.

You would expect them to be performing by now

You don't need the best players to play decent attacking football, its coached into them when a manager knows how he wants his team to play, something moyes doesn't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Name the club:

- One of the richest clubs in the world
    - Recent Premier League and European cup winners
    - New manager and coaching staff, definitely a transition year
    - Once great but now aging centre back and left back almost finished their careers
    - Weakness in central midfield. One player is not rated by anybody, another is playing a more defensive role than he would prefer. They also have to keep playing an older club legend due to lack of options
    - Problems trying to fit a talented number 10 into the team
    - Talented young player not rated by the coach and available for loan despite performing better than an older player who still gets selected

Last clue: Even with a new coach, an aging squad and many underperforming players they are still 3rd in the table, because the fact is that even at their worst the big clubs should be in the goddamn top four.

Chelsea/Notts Forest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Name the club:

- New manager and coaching staff, definitely a transition year
    - Once great but now aging centre back and left back almost finished their careers
    - Weakness in central midfield. One player is not rated by anybody, another is playing a more defensive role than he would prefer. They also have to keep playing an older club legend due to lack of options
    - Talented young player not rated by the coach and available for loan despite performing better than an older player who still gets selected

Last clue: Even with a new coach, an aging squad and many underperforming players they are still 3rd in the table, because the fact is that even at their worst the big clubs should be in the goddamn top four.

In Fairness they have great experience of that....nearly every year... this is our first time in 20yrs!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Good post Blatter. Sick of hearing people telling me our squad is rubbish. Its not at all

ok i think when people say rubbish there saying it in terms of what we should have.

A better term is average, so many of the players just scream average

City playing like this without Aguero though too. Scary Mary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Name the club:

- New Returning manager and coaching staff, definitely a transition year

Last clue: Even with a new returning coach, an aging squad and many underperforming players they are still 3rd in the table, because the fact is that even at their worst the big clubs should be in the goddamn top four.

A small change in the riddle makes a massive difference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

that sixth goal City got was pure class :(. Hate the thought of what they could to to us in the final if we made it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement