Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rooney to Chelsea, Mata and Lukaku to United, and a host of other transfers in mindfield to replace the workhorseness of Rooney. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Nuts102 wrote: »
    How much do you really think you will get for him. I can't see you selling to City, Italian team;s won't pay massive money. Madrid and Barca don't need him. Would he go to PSG i am not sure with their new tax break. He has not played all season i can't see him going for much more than 20 million.

The floor on Mata's price would be more than that. He's a £30 Million pound player, easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

If Rooney signs a new contract, the armband goes to him (rightly or wrongly).

I can't see how it could be given to Fletcher. Model pro, and delighted he is back in the squad, but if we are playing him regularly next season as a starter, than the Summer window will have gone as badly as last summers and this januarys. Fletcher shouldn't be first choice next season, so can't be captain, imo.

Yeah, I more or less agree with that.

I was just picking out of what we have in our squad at the moment. A couple of signings could change that picture, but we've no idea who they will be, or when they might happen.

Bar Rooney, I'd go with Fletcher because of his experience, model professional, fighting spirit, knows the clubs culture.

At the moment I see him as first choice, with Cleverley being poor, Fellaini injured and struggling, Anderson seemingly off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

How much do you really think you will get for him. I can't see you selling to City, Italian team;s won't pay massive money. Madrid and Barca don't need him. Would he go to PSG i am not sure with their new tax break. He has not played all season i can't see him going for much more than 20 million.

We paid about 22.5million and hes only got better, reagrdless of his stint on the bench.

If he does go anything short of a small profit would be a stupid decision, we'd easily get 25-30million for him, his contract has another 2 1/2 years on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

v3ttel wrote: »
    Yeah, I more or less agree with that.

I was just picking out of what we have in our squad at the moment. A couple of signings could change that picture, but we've no idea who they will be, or when they might happen.

Bar Rooney, I'd go with Fletcher because of his experience, model professional, fighting spirit, knows the clubs culture.

At the moment I see him as first choice, with Cleverley being poor, Fellaini injured and struggling, Anderson seemingly off.

Yeah - if the transfer work remains as abysmal as it has been so far, Fletcher is a good candidate - him, Evans or Rooney. I would probably make him club captain in place of Giggs, if Giggs retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Rooney for captain for me and Rafael as vice captain. Both of them are leaders and give everything on the field.

Heh? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Thecon21 wrote: »

Rafael giving a pre match team talk trying to boost the players, haha good luck with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Lets lighten up transfer season!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We paid about 22.5million and hes only got better, reagrdless of his stint on the bench.

If he does go anything short of a small profit would be a stupid decision, we'd easily get 25-30million for him, his contract has another 2 1/2 years on it.

Gav you would be getting Rooney and only parting with £10million and a player that won't/can't even make the bench.

Regardless of what us fans think about a player if the manager ain't gonna play him, and he can get in a player that will go straight into the starting lineup then Mata + £10mil would be a fantastic piece of business for Chelsea imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Thecon21 wrote: »

The player who takes the armband when Rooney is not on the pitch not that hard to understand.

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Gav you would be getting Rooney and only parting with £10million and a player that won't/can't even make the bench.

Regardless of what us fans think about a player if the manager ain't gonna play him, and he can get in a player that will go straight into the starting lineup then Mata + £10mil would be a fantastic piece of business for Chelsea imo.

Or.....sell Mata abroad and buy Rooney out right, we'd probably have some spare change left over too, theres a lot of ifs and buts with my proposal though and I just cant see Utd selling arguably their best player to a direct rival.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Or.....sell Mata abroad and buy Rooney out right, we'd probably have some spare change left over too, theres a lot of ifs and buts with my proposal though and I just cant see Utd selling arguably their best player to a direct rival.

Utd won't sell Rooney to Chelsea, simple. Just like mourinho said he wouldn't sell mata to another English club.
    If it has to go down the heinze to liverpool route so be it. Utd are not in the business of strengthening their closest rivals.
    So Chelsea fans, get over your little wet dream

Devil08 wrote: »
    Utd won't sell Rooney to Chelsea, simple. Just like mourinho said he wouldn't sell mata to another English club.
    If it has to go down the heinze to liverpool route so be it. Utd are not in the business of strengthening their closest rivals.

But Mourinho also said it is petty to no sell to another english club, didn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

The player who takes the armband when Rooney is not on the pitch not that hard to understand.

I understood. Just Rafael as VC is a strange choice..

But Mourinho also said it is petty to no sell to another english club, didn't he?

He contradicts himself everyday. Diving, transfers, the list is endless. Says one thing then says another. He will not sell to Utd, I'm pretty sure of it.

Mata is Joses ace up the sleeve. He has a great bargaining chip.

If you believe the rumours that FFP might be on Chelsea's case after still running £40mil in the red, and with UTD anxious with Rooneys contract situation then I can see a deal possibly between both clubs over the medium term.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sell us Pogba? - No.
    Sell us Vidal? - No.
    Sell us Marchisio? - No... by the way we are signing Vidic on a free at the end of the season. Great doing business with you.

581A1292-E6F0-4327-96DF-6A46AF696E04-456-000000876AEE043E_zps26aacb0b.jpg

MEN reporting Anderson is gone.

Not surprising, Moyes didn't use him at all this season really. Really thought Moyes coming in would be what made Ando at United, thought Moyes would sort out his fitness, and with that would come a very good CM player. Not to be.

Fellaini, Carrick, Fletcher and Clev as the only senior central midfielders at the club, that are actually central midfielders.

£6mil is a bargain if true for Anderson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Not surprising, Moyes didn't use him at all this season really. Really thought Moyes coming in would be what made Ando at United, thought Moyes would sort out his fitness, and with that would come a very good CM player. Not to be.

Fellaini, Carrick, Fletcher and Clev as the only senior central midfielders at the club, that are actually central midfielders.

Our last memories of Anderson will be him falling over the ball just before he was taken off against Crystal Palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Agueroooo wrote: »
    mil is a bargain if true for Anderson.

For us or Fiorentina?

For us or Fiorentina?

Flor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Might have been mentioned but my friend read that the coentrao deal fell through, apparently real were looking for 20 million weather that's pounds or euros I don't know, then again it might just be a rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Juventus' General director Giuseppe Marotta to Radio Rai

On Marchisio: "There is no problem with Marchisio. Claudio is a player who grew up in the Juventus youth teams and he loves the shirt. "During a busy season it is inevitable that every player will have their lows, but everything is normal."

On Pirlo: "Pirlo's contract? He said last week that he feels happy here. We have talked with each other and in February we will find a solution to continue together."

On Pogba: "Pogba? We don't want to sell him and we close the door to any possible buyers."

I'm going to be stupidly optimistic and say it's a sign that we have a midfielder on the way.

Definitely has to be the case.

• Advertisement

Any links to the Anderson story?? Nothing on sky, or the main sports sites

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Juventus' General director Giuseppe Marotta to Radio Rai

Nothing on Vidal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm going to be stupidly optimistic and say it's a sign that we have a midfielder on the way.

We have Fletcher to replace Ando, and a cool 6 mil in the bank to tide us over when we're out of Europe.

FutureGuy wrote: »

I wonder if we will simply recall Powell, rather than sign someone.

We have Fletcher to replace Ando, and a cool 6 mil in the bank to tide us over when we're out of Europe.

sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

New midfielder (world class) incoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I would love to see Powell given a chance, but not as 'reinforcements'. We need to buy. Powell could be one for the future, but he won't solve our problems now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

How good do people feel Januzaj is will become? Had to listen to an Arsenal fan telling me that Chamberlain was better at 18 and Deulofeu is just as good atm, Some people are deluded hard to remember a 18yr old this good.

bmcc10 wrote: »
    How good do people feel Januzaj is will become? Had to listen to an Arsenal fan telling me that Chamberlain was better at 18 and Deulofeu is just as good atm, Some people are deluded hard to remember a 18yr old this good.
    Chamberlain was never good. He has the potential to be world class, who knows what he'll become in future, right now he's class and will more than likely get young player of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Honestly the last 18 year old I remember playing like him at his age was Giggs. And I think if anything he shows more strengths than Giggs and can play in more positions. If he has the right attitude and avoids any big injuries I think he can be a star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

The fact that Januzaj is carrying the side in terms of creativity in Rooneys and RVPs absence lead me to believe he is very very special.
    I would like to think we won't have to rely on him so much in the next couple of years, at 18 he needs the odd rest!

I hate saying it but I think Raheem Sterling is another outstanding young player. Dipped out of form towards the end of last season but any time he has played this year I've been impressed.
    However he is being aided by a team of players playing very very well at the moment and when you have a player like Suarez creating space it does make life easier.

Devil08 wrote: »

Ha, he wouldnt be first my choice, far from it. I'm just an answering a genuine question, for the record I dont think Utd would sell either, but if they fail to finish top 4 and dont improve the squad in the summer, he'll be off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

As an outsider, I think he can reach Ronaldo kind of levels. He probably shouldn't be playing as much and risks burnout but if he is handled correctly and bulks up a bit I don't see any reason why he won't be in the top 3/5 in world football in a few years.

I feel dirty :)

£6 million for a player who is prone to injury, struggles to resist cheeseburgers, has barely kicked a ball competitively for the guts of a year, can't make the team when the club is incredibly short of quality options in his position...I'll take it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

£6 million for a player who is prone to injury, struggles to resist cheeseburgers, has barely kicked a ball competitively for the guts of a year, can't make the team when the club is incredibly short of quality options in his position...I'll take it!

Arguably he should have been given few games that Cleverley played but thats history now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Haha typical United fans though isnt it? We complain about Ando being fat, unfit, unable to score, being there 6 years and not being able to perform on a consistent basis.

Then, when sold, we complain about the amount, about Moyes not 'getting the best out of him'.......how can you not laugh.

He did NOTHING of any major contribution in over 6 seasons. Good luck Ando. I really wanted you to work out and gave you numerous amounts of chances to prove fitness and form......evreytime you let me down. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

master-t wrote: »
    He did NOTHING of any major contribution in over 6 seasons. Good luck Ando. I really wanted you to work out and gave you numerous amounts of chances to prove fitness and form......evreytime you let me down. Best of luck.

Bit harsh, not sure you can play 100 games without contributing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm just glad we didn't have to pay £6 million to get rid of him! Anderson has truly been a major disappointment and I'm surprised he's lasted as long as he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Delighted to see the back of Anderson, loved the chap but he had his chances and whatever about his injuries, it was never going to work out.
    I'm happy to see Moyes let this kind of deadwood go, it shouldn't have taken this long(i.e. SAF should have let him go), and hopefully it signals the start of something fresh and exciting for us. I'm also now far more confident that we'll be bringing some kind of cover into to the midfield this Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

beno619 wrote: »
    Bit harsh, not sure you can play 100 games without contributing.

In how many games did Anderson play the full 90 mins?

He played well against Arsenal once, against Man City in Com Sheild in the 2nd half.....and a good game against Shalke.

I wouldn't call that a contribution in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Anderson gone regardless of the fee is a step in the right direction imo, the fact hes not leaving on a free is a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

So with Ando gone

Fletcher is kind of like.. a new signing

beno619 wrote: »
    Arguably he should have been given few games that Cleverley played but thats history now.

I agree with that, but at the end of the day, neither of them are up to the required standard to be first team players for MUFC.

Getting rid of Anderson is a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Ando had his chance and plyed well in a few games but was frustrating by and large - his passing at times utterly infuriating. 6m is good money for him, though a lot less than was initially outlaid.

As for Januzaj, he looks the real deal to me. Was superb again Saturday night, played some blinding balls. The winning of the game was putting him out on the left wing and putting Kagawa into the hole - totally opened Swansea up after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

He played well against Arsenal once, against Man City in Com Sheild in the 2nd half.....and a good game against Shalke.

And the small matter of scoring a penalty in a champions league final...Oh and the winning penalty in a League Cup final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I don't know how many times he played 90 minutes you check seems your bringing it up. The main reason he didn't is because he was rarely match fit and was covering more ground in 60 minutes than most players did in 90 minutes.

Watch back his first season where he played well and looked promising. Watch the first 6 games of the season two seasons ago where we played our best football in years and he made Cleverley look like a good midfielder. Everytime he looked like he was going to fulfill his potential he got injured.

To say he contributed nothing is just very short sighted he came in and done a job plenty of times over the years when resting players. Moyes made the mistake of persisting with cleverley and not giving Anderson some games. He never turned into the world class player he had the potential to be unfortunately. I wish him all the best seems a character and if he put's his injuries behind him he could become a very good player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement