Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

beno619 wrote: »
    I disagree, Didnt watch too much spanish football at the time but saw Messi in an U20/18 World Cup & Champions league games. All in my opinion though.

Messi at 18 was pretty amazing tbh

The only danger with him was that injury would curtail his career, course the medics took care of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A lot of you people are utterly daft.

keane2097 wrote: »
    A lot of you people are utterly daft.

Name names Keano, name names!

kryogen wrote: »
    Name names Keano, name names!

You're ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You're ok.

What about me, can I be ok Keano? xxx :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Adnan bares some striking similarities to Messi. Good balance, quick feet, slight and short but to reach Messi's level would take a lot of hard work and incredible luck.

Staying injury free, having a great team around you, one of the best MFs ever in Messi's case, a great tactical manager. All of which Messi has been lucky enough to have.

I think Adnan can get better but he could never have a goal and assist record in the EPL like Messi has in La Liga as the nature or the EPL doesn't allow it. La Liga is a two team league the majority of the time. Could he have a season like Ronaldos best for us? Heart says yes, head says no.

Angel Adnan is not short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Messi is already on the peds to keep up with Adnan it would be unfair if we started putting them in Adnan's cornflakes

The post may or may not contain untruths

What about me, can I be ok Keano? xxx :D

We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yeah, some of the stuff on the last few pages is hilarious. I don't know what is wrong with people that they feel this need to remember a couple of games a few years ago as some sort of golden period? Newsflash, it wasn't!

And this idea that Cleverley and Anderson were some majestic midfield partnership during that time is a load of bollocks. They were so good that Fergie had to drop them as soon as he could get Carrick back because even when we were actually dominating teams they were still walking through the Cleverley/Anderson combo at will.

The problem was purely defensive. Playing a pair of central midfielders who's balance of skills lie on the attacking side rather than the defensive is always going to cause that problem. It was just a question of balance. The same type of defensive lapses would happen if you played Xavi and Modric beside each other at the base of a midfield, that doesn't mean that they aren't both good at what they do.

It's probably also worth noting that this was a period in which Cleverley looked godlike for probably a similar amount of minutes to what Januzaj has played this season. Just for some of the more deranged posters.

This is such an interesting statement. It's perfectly balanced. It could be read as an admonishment to the people who, in Keane's opinion, have overly positive or overly negative views on Cleverley and for people who have been over hyping Januzaj. It's a pity that so many people chose to go down the route of simply comparing Cleverley to Januzaj - by far the least interesting aspect of the statement.

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Angel Adnan is not short.

He isnt Messi short, but he is about 5'9 isnt he? Not exactly the tallest :)

Pro. F wrote: »
    This is such an interesting statement. It's perfectly balanced. It could be read as an admonishment to the people who, in Keane's opinion, have overly positive or overly negative views on Cleverley and for people who have been over hyping Januzaj. It's a pity that so many people chose to go down the route of simply comparing Cleverley to Januzaj - by far the least interesting aspect of the statement.

Without having super high expectations I was fairly let down by how much the point was missed.

My favourite was when someone told me how many goals Cleverley scored :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So what would a successful transfer windows for utd? We need a Cm,its quite clear to see but I cant see that happening in this window so for me a realistic successful transfer window is getting coentrao in. I would be happy enough

Headshot wrote: »
    So what would a successful transfer windows for utd? We need a Cm,its quite clear to see but I cant see that happening in this window so for me a realistic successful transfer window is getting coentrao in. I would be happy enough

Yeah signing a left back would be a massive win for United. Couple that with Moyes finally stopping making a dog's dinner of Kagawa and I'd expect a bit of a turnaround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A decent CM and LB would be nice. A LB alone would at least solve the problem that Evra is causing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

U21'S won 2-1 tonight in the end. Cole with the other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

kryogen wrote: »
    He isnt Messi short, but he is about 5'9 isnt he? Not exactly the tallest :)

Google says Adnan is 1.80m, which is 5' 11".

Not short at all, and 11cm taller than Mr. Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

With getting rid of Anderson, then we need a CM in, or at least getting Powell back from loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What happened to the Winnie the pooh ratings / story today? I feel completely Eeyore with outit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

You find it interesting and I think I might know why.

"an admonishment to the people who, in Keane's opinion, have overly positive or overly negative views on Cleverley"

Surely you didn't mean to use a plural here. Surely you mean "person overly positive regarding Cleverly"?

As for being dissappointed with Adnans goal tally being metioned and Adnans overhyping, even when taking into the account interpretations of Godlike minutes played, its not praise or hpye. When comparing how any footballer has bettered what Cleverly has given UTD so far is far from praise such is the lack of what Cleverly has given UTD.

But none the less, yes, Adnan is overhyped to extremes atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If Vidic did sign a pre-agreement with another club, do you think he could remain captain for the rest of the season?

Anyways lets hope he can stay for another year or two.
    Rio departing us enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd be very surprised if Vidic gave it any thing but his best from now to the end of the season even if he has signed a pre-agreement with Galatasaray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Skybet have suspended betting on vidic's next club

Top seven all winning this weekend. Six of those seven are annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Cristiano, so many years at Madrid, still he has been most successful with United.
    Long may that continue....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Is Anderson gone yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

A decent CM and LB would be nice. A LB alone would at least solve the problem that Evra is causing us.

And a top class cb, Ferdinand finished, vidic nearing the end, and the 3 that's there are not good enough, at the moment, time will tell, but every team that wants to be challenging for a title or champions league need a top center back, without vidic and Ferdinand we don't have any, ie kompany , vidic or Ferdinand of a few years ago, etc etc, we don't have time to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

The highlight of Anderson's career at United

Bd4nmeGCYAE8Ehy.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

keith16 wrote: »
    What happened to the Winnie the pooh ratings / story today? I feel completely Eeyore with outit.

No stories to report dude!

Also would get old pretty fast if it was daily. It's not finished though.

• Advertisement

shock horror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

. . . of no man's land! :pac:

Is United's worst (so far) PL season actually the best one overall?

2 points separate the top 3, 2 points separate the next 3 and 2 points separate the bottom 5.

6 points separate the bottom 11!

On their day, most teams are able to beat any other team. Cardiff are third from bottom but were able to beat Man. City. Sunderland are second from bottom and also beat Man. City, as well as Chelsea and Man. Utd. in the league cup.

United, Newcastle and Southampton are currently in no man's land! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Caught up on the last few pages...
    Alot of abuse and good riddance for Anderson
    Yet theres nothing official to say hes gone yet?
    Or Vidic leaving?

People are quick to jump. Im not saying them two wont be leaving but f**k me, lads quit twitter, stop reading the daily mail or The Sun and just wait and see...

I know this thread is for all that but yer gonna drive yerselves to the Nuthouse !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I'm guessing you're referring to me. It was a ridiculous statement to make. It really is that simple.

What is even more absurd is that some posters, like yourself, on here who ripped Michael Carrick to shreds saying he wasn't good enough are the same here defending Cleverley. There is no hidden statement in that. I'm not trying to be Sartre. I'm referring to you. Stop attempting to belittle other posters too with that 'it's a pity' stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Caught up on the last few pages...
    Alot of abuse and good riddance for Anderson
    Yet theres nothing official to say hes gone yet?
    Or Vidic leaving?

People are quick to jump. Im not saying them two wont be leaving but f**k me, lads quit twitter, stop reading the daily mail or The Sun and just wait and see...

I know this thread is for all that but yer gonna drive yerselves to the Nuthouse !

Well said mate. Same with that Matic chat earlier. People posting shiit like it's a done deal, at least put 'acc to Twitter' or 'some reports saying'...

Interesting article here in which three Everton fans are asked for their opinions on Moyes.

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/evertonians-on-moyes/

You find it interesting and I think I might know why.

"an admonishment to the people who, in Keane's opinion, have overly positive or overly negative views on Cleverley"

Surely you didn't mean to use a plural here. Surely you mean "person overly positive regarding Cleverly"?

Paranoid bollocks. My post was straightforward, your convoluted interpretation is ridiculous.

Red Crow wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're referring to me. It was a ridiculous statement to make. It really is that simple.

What is even more absurd is that some posters, like yourself, on here who ripped Michael Carrick to shreds saying he wasn't good enough are the same here defending Cleverley. There is no hidden statement in that. I'm not trying to be Sartre. I'm referring to you. Stop attempting to belittle other posters too with that 'it's a pity' stuff too.

Were you one of the people who directly compared Adnan to Tom in response to Keane's statement? I couldn't be bothered checking. If you were then yes, I think you chose the helped take that particular conversation down the dumb road. If you don't like my opinion of your contribution I couldn't a flying fúck. I'm certainly not going to hold back from expressing it because you tell me to.

I always said that Carrick should have been improved on in the first team, only that. Nothing absurd about that opinion.

Interesting article here in which three Everton fans are asked for their opinions on Moyes.

Interesting that the opinions of the three fans differ on some topics, but they all thought that Moyes dithered on transfers, and was slow to make changes during a game. Also that Fellaini had been fairly poor in his last year at Everton, and that he was weak at CM and much better playing behind the forward line (where he's highly unlikely to get a game here).

Not much we didn't know already, but not too reassuring either. Although there may be an element of bitterness at how he treated the club when he left.

Paranoid bollocks. My post was straightforward, your convoluted interpretation is ridiculous.

No. You tried to make Keanes response to be more than what it was and both of you then proceeded to pat each other on the back like only the two of you understood it.

Red Crow was right. It was a ridiculous statement. Any post with the words Clev and Godlike fails to be clever from the outset.

As for my remarks about your choice of words, I stand by it. People don't over rate Cleverly, quite the opposite. Only one person over rates Cleverly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Id love to see Airbag and Pro F on the man utd thread beers, would be quite funny I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Three bitter fans give their opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

NiallMH93 wrote: »
    Interesting that the opinions of the three fans differ on some topics, but they all thought that Moyes dithered on transfers, and was slow to make changes during a game. Also that Fellaini had been fairly poor in his last year at Everton, and that he was weak at CM and much better playing behind the forward line (where he's highly unlikely to get a game here).

Not much we didn't know already, but not too reassuring either. Although there may be an element of bitterness at how he treated the club when he left.

Agreed that Dan poster seems to hold a big grudge against him and the other 2 give a good interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

For us or Fiorentina?

Jays is that bad!!!....Utd had to pay them a million to take him had they!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

You think? I think they make some very valid points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Don't really get why they'd be bitter given they're playing better football than under Moyes and are lying just outside the top 4?

To be honest, I know it's just three peoples opinions but quite a bit of what they say is being evidenced already at United and it's worrying.

No. You tried to make Keanes response to be more than what it was and both of you then proceeded to pat each other on the back like only the two of you understood it.

Ah I see what you mean now. Yes, I did mean it in that way. I think Keane's statement was very interesting, especially in how open to interpretation it was. I think your response to it was pretty dumb and I regret that the thread went down that line of discussion.
    As for my remarks about your choice of words, I stand by it. People don't over rate Cleverly, quite the opposite. Only one person over rates Cleverly.

I was interpreting what Keane might think about how people overrate or underrate Cleverley and who they may be, not what you think. If you think that I am the only one who overrates Cleverley hurray for you.

Transfers stuff

Spanish newspaper AS reporting that we have revived their interest in Ander Herrera. Chief scout Robbie Cooke watched him play again yesterday apparently.

http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2014/01/13/primera/1389578438_133515.html

@EPLStuff BREAKING: Nemanja Matic has revealed that he rejected an offer from Manchester United and will re-sign for Chelsea. [Zurich Radio]

https://twitter.com/EPLStuff/status/422763193296244736

Madrid reluctant to let go of Coentrao and United has to pay a fee of 20M upwards to get him

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1920520-manchester-united-will-have-to-show-real-madrid-the-money-to-sign-fabio-coentrao

A few outlets seem to think Moyes was in Italy to watch Pogba

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/453396/EXCLUSIVE-Juventus-star-Paul-Pogba-set-for-spectacular-Man-Utd-return

http://www.squawka.com/news/2014/01/12/creates-more-than-cazorla-man-utd-eye-astonishing-box-to-box-midfielder/2014011253571

Evra agent thinks he wont get another contract from UTD

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/12/patrice-evra-leave-manchester-united-contract-ends

Id love to see Airbag and Pro F on the man utd thread beers, would be quite funny I reckon

Guaranteed to be left on their own in a corner of the pub, even the bar man given up and gone home telling them to lock up when they done :D

• Advertisement

This is all getting a bit too egotistical for my liking.

I would like to think it was obvious to most people that my description of Cleverley was ironic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement