Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

scudzilla wrote: »
    You think? I think they make some very valid points
    Some good, some bad.
    "He's unable to bring in top, top players, which is what is needed at United"
    Eh, that might have more to do with Everton than David Moyes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

kryogen wrote: »
    Guaranteed to be left on their own in a corner of the pub, even the bar man given up and gone home telling them to lock up when they done :D

God knows when that will be lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Pro. F wrote: »
    Ah I see what you mean now. Yes, I did mean it in that way. I think Keane's statement was very interesting, especially in how open to interpretation it was. I think your response to it was pretty dumb and I regret that the thread went down that line of discussion.

I was interpreting what Keane might think about how people overrate or underrate Cleverley and who they may be, not what you think. If you think that I am the only one who overrates Cleverley hurray for you.

Yes I'm sure the "look how all the fools missed the interesting statement but me" take on a poor post helps to massage your ego.
    I was interpreting what Keane might think

That says it all. I was guessing what someone else was thinking. Fact is the dumbest part was when people thought comparing Clev and Adnan in terms of any expectations of the two as to whether how they are not that far apart, or any difference between the two was the dumb part. To compare Clev to anyone is an insult, to the player being compared. This was already pointed out but if you were too dumb to get it the first time I doubt you'll get it this time either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No. You tried to make Keanes response to be more than what it was and both of you then proceeded to pat each other on the back like only the two of you understood it.

Red Crow was right. It was a ridiculous statement. Any post with the words Clev and Godlike fails to be clever from the outset.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5HFSpMDgrnqoD1m4dVXB_OxaRQpw2mgYY3Ifs-IsFQrxO5Fd_VQ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Don't really get why they'd be bitter given they're playing better football than under Moyes and are lying just outside the top 4?

Yeah they are having a good season no arguments here, but it would be safe to say that Moyes left them with a decent squad and lukaku and Barry have been brilliant for them this season but they are only on loan if they want to buy them who knows what price city and Chelsea put on them and what budget Everton will have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Glazers are not concerned with United's share price which had falling from a high of over $19 to now being over $15 a share.
    They say it is a long term investment so the share price is not a concern and likewise they are not concerned with how David Moyes is doing who they also view as a long term investment -
    https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AAAPL&ei=EAnUUrj5CbKUwQPumAE
    United's comparatively poor form on the pitch this season – they are by no means assured of a place in the Champions League – may be a cause for concern for some investors, but in financial terms the club is expected to post record revenues this season.
    The Glazers are also understood to be determined to have patience with Ferguson's successor, David Moyes, understanding that he will need time to settle in.
    Moyes was given a six-year contract in the summer, a statement of intent by the owners that they view him, as well as the club, as a long-term investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Transfers stuff

Spanish newspaper AS reporting that we have revived their interest in Ander Herrera. Chief scout Robbie Cooke watched him play again yesterday apparently.
    Seems a bit ridiculous a scout was sent over only now with 2 weeks left in the transfer window and they've had since september to get a good view of him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Don't really get why they'd be bitter given they're playing better football than under Moyes and are lying just outside the top 4?

'better football' maybe. But the reason they are lying just outside the top 4 is not just because of Martinez' managerial prowess.

Barkley, a Moyes player, is playing very well. Especially at the start of the season.

Lukaku coming in and getting 9 goals and 4 assists. Jelavic managed 7 for the whole of last season while Anichebe got 6.

Barry has been phenomenal for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yeah the Times is also going with the Pogba story, but it won't be this month. The Times claim Pogba wants to return to United.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/premierleague/article3974483.ece

keane2097 wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5HFSpMDgrnqoD1m4dVXB_OxaRQpw2mgYY3Ifs-IsFQrxO5Fd_VQ

Almost worked as irony, problem was you mentioned Adnan and started off with the words Correct as I recall in response to Pro F unintentionally ironic post about our "fluid possession style going as soon as the Clev-Ando partnership was broken"
    Correct as I recall.

It's probably also worth noting that this was a period in which Cleverley looked godlike for probably a similar amount of minutes to what Januzaj has played this season. Just for some of the more deranged posters.

• Advertisement

Without having read that article, do these three guys have any qualifications other than being three Everton fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yes I'm sure the "look how all the fools missed the interesting statement but me" take on a poor post helps to massage your ego.

That says it all. I was guessing what someone else was thinking. Fact is the dumbest part was when people thought comparing Clev and Adnan in terms of any expectations of the two as to whether how they are not that far apart, or any difference between the two was the dumb part. To compare Clev to anyone is an insult, to the player being compared. This was already pointed out but if you were too dumb to get it the first time I doubt you'll get it this time either.

I could respond to you and point out your errors, but there's no point. You were offended by my post, that's what is driving your ranting now and it's not going to be stopped by anything I might explain to you.

case885 wrote: »
    Seems a bit ridiculous a scout was sent over only now with 2 weeks left in the transfer window and they've had since september to get a good view of him :pac:

I don't rate him that much, since that summer I've paid more attention to him and he is good but not a huge improvement on what we have.

He'd be a gamble that may or may not be UTD standard

Edit- I don't even

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Keno wrote: »
    'better football' maybe. But the reason they are lying just outside the top 4 is not just because of Martinez' managerial prowess.

Barkley, a Moyes player, is playing very well. Especially at the start of the season.

Lukaku coming in and getting 9 goals and 4 assists. Jelavic managed 7 for the whole of last season while Anichebe got 6.

Ehh, so you're saying that it's not because of Martinez... right... who was in fact the one who has given Barkley his chance (when Moyes wouldn't last season), brought in Lukaku on loan and Barry on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Keno wrote: »

It's not as if they never found themselves in that league position under Moyes anyway.

The real test for Martinez will come as time wears on and he has to rebuild the team, especially the defence. He has proven very little in this short period of time imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

That is why I wouldnt believe it is that simple, for the sake of my mental health it cannot be simply a case of scouting these players who are reported, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Without having read that article, do these three guys have any qualifications other than being three Everton fans?

No, just that they're Everton fans a long time really. 2 of them speak a bit of sense with some actual evaluation. One of them says a lot of overly negative nonsense though that I couldn't disagree with more.

I don't rate him that much, since that summer I've paid more attention to him and he is good but not a huge improvement on what we have.

He'd be a gamble that may or may not be UTD standard

And if his release clause is over £30million he may as well just bid £40-45 million for vidal who is certainly united standard.

Ehh, so you're saying that it's not because of Martinez... right... who was in fact the one who has given Barkley his chance (when Moyes wouldn't last season), brought in Lukaku on loan and Barry on loan.

So Moyes giving Rooney a chance counts for nothing, what about Coleman, Rodwell, how do you think Barkley got to be in and around the first team squad?

Is it possible he wasnt quite ready for so much football last year?

Moyes has never brought in good players? Arteta? Baines? Jagielka? Cahill? Fellaini? Mirellas? Lescott?

• Advertisement

That is why I wouldnt believe it is that simple, for the sake of my mental health it cannot be simply a case of scouting these players who are reported, now.

90 percent of these rumours on tabloids are pure rubbish anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Signed vidal on fifa today.... HE IS AN ANIMAL....

So Moyes giving Rooney a chance counts for nothing, what about Coleman, Rodwell, how do you think Barkley got to be in and around the first team squad?

Is it possible he wasnt quite ready for so much football last year?

Moyes has never brought in good players? Arteta? Baines? Jagielka? Cahill? Fellaini? Mirellas? Lescott?

Whoa. Hold on there. Where did I say he never brought in any good players?

I was merely saying that Martinez has Everton playing better football and why would Everton fans be bitter about Moyes leaving as such. Someone commented that it was down to Lukaku, Barry and Barkley as much as him that they were performing better. I merely said that, well, it was him that brought them in.

Don't get how Moyes comes into it bar the better football thing. Re: Barkley - a lot of Everton fans wanted to see him come into the side more last season but instead he sent him on loan to Leeds. Maybe he felt that he wasn't ready - who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

I think most Everton fans are happy the way things have transpired so far.

The starting 11 generally features McCarthy, Barry, Barkley and Lukaku. Four players that wouldn't be there/playing if Moyes was still in charge. Add to that a decent amount of game time for Deulofeu, Stones and Alcaraz.

It's a very different side than Moyes would have played and they are playing better football with the likes of Coleman moving up a level.

Moyes did a good job but lacked any ambition.

Whoa. Hold on there. Where did I say he never brought in any good players?

I was merely saying that Martinez has Everton playing better football and why would Everton fans be bitter about Moyes leaving as such. Someone commented that it was down to Lukaku, Barry and Barkley as much as him that they were performing better. I merely said that, well, it was him that brought them in.

Don't get how Moyes comes into it bar the better football thing. Re: Barkley - a lot of Everton fans wanted to see him come into the side more last season but instead he sent him on loan to Leeds. Maybe he felt that he wasn't ready - who knows.

They werent bitter about him leaving, he was given a heroes send off, its what happened during the summer that has upset alot of Evertonians.

Martinez has them playing better, but Moyes did have them playing very well, I think Barry has been crucial for them, he brings so much to that midfield and obviously Lukaku who will be a big player wherever he goes

That kind of leads me to a thing that has always worried me about Moyes, he doesnt seem able to pick a striker. His teams have always fallen down in that department imo. He has shown he can bring in players and they will be successful in pretty much every other area of the field. He seems to have a weakness in terms of spotting a genuinely great striker

Uaru wrote: »

The starting 11 generally features McCarthy, Barry, Barkley and Lukaku. Four players that wouldn't be there/playing if Moyes was still in charge. Add to that a decent amount of game time for Deulofeu, Stones and Alcaraz.

It's a very different side than Moyes would have played and they are playing better football with the likes of Coleman moving up a level.

Moyes did a good job but lacked any ambition.

Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

How do you know this ?

They werent bitter about him leaving, he was given a heroes send off, its what happened during the summer that has upset alot of Evertonians.

Martinez has them playing better, but Moyes did have them playing very well, I think Barry has been crucial for them, he brings so much to that midfield and obviously Lukaku who will be a big player wherever he goes

That kind of leads me to a thing that has always worried me about Moyes, he doesnt seem able to pick a striker. His teams have always fallen down in that department imo. He has shown he can bring in players and they will be successful in pretty much every other area of the field. He seems to have a weakness in terms of spotting a genuinely great striker

Rooney.

yabadabado wrote: »
    How do you know this ?

He never gave Barkley a chance. He wouldn't have signed the rest. Everton have brought in 7 players since he left. If reports are true tonight they have locked down Barkley and Baines. He had years to build a squad. Martinez has gone a long way towards doing that in six months.

• Advertisement

Which is what I was responding to someone saying "three bitter fans".

He never gave Barkley a chance. He wouldn't have signed the rest. Everton have brought in 7 players since he left. If reports are true tonight they have locked down Barkley and Baines. He had years to build a squad. Martinez has gone a long way towards doing that in six months.
    Barkley made appearances under Moyes and the bad leg break set him back a lot .Martinez hasn't built a squad ,Barkley was there and 3 of the best players are on loan.McCarthy has been a good buy,the others havent contributed much, its still mostly Moyes players at the club.
    You have no way of knowing who Moyes would or wouldnt have signed.

Rooney.

Uhuh, who came through at 16 and is clearly as once in a generation player. The one positive doesnt outweigh the many negatives in the striking department.

I credit him for bringing Rooney through, but in fairness, I am pretty sure everyone could see his quality pretty early and huge potential.

He was able to pick up bargains like Arteta, Cahill, Lescott, Baines, Howard, Coleman, Distin, Jagielka, Pienaar etc etc etc for all other areas of the field, but he has a poor record with strikers imo.

Anichebe, Saha, Jelavic, Beckford, Velios, Gueye, Yakubu

They speak for themselves overall

Man City reported to be readying a 30m bid for Shaw. Out of Baines, Coentrao and Shaw, Shaw is the one I'd like to see UTD sign the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

30m is a bit mad Ted

Never gave Barkley a chance is just wrong, if the issue is giving youth a chance it is quite clearly something Moyes does do. His record speaks for itself, Martinez is building on the solid foundation laid by Moyes over many years of performing miracles in the transfer market. Martinez two most important players are there on loan so its a bit of a false economy isnt it

• Advertisement

One of these so called best players has scored one goal ineight and has been poor for the last two months. One has three starts all season and the other is likely to sign at the end of the season.

The three best players have been Coleman, Barry and McCarthy.

Barkley played 209 minutes last season. Spent most of it on loan when Everton had a paper thin squad. Genius.

One of these so called best players has scored one goal ineight and has been poor for the last two months. One has three starts all season and the other is likely to sign at the end of the season.

The three best players have been Coleman, Barry and McCarthy.
    Whats your point ?Are you saying he hasn't done well building a squad and its mostly Moyes players doing the business ?

Uhuh, who came through at 16 and is clearly as once in a generation player. The one positive doesnt outweigh the many negatives in the striking department.

I credit him for bringing Rooney through, but in fairness, I am pretty sure everyone could see his quality pretty early and huge potential.

He was able to pick up bargains like Arteta, Cahill, Lescott, Baines, Howard, Coleman, Distin, Jagielka, Pienaar etc etc etc for all other areas of the field, but he has a poor record with strikers imo.

Anichebe, Saha, Jelavic, Beckford, Velios, Gueye, Yakubu

They speak for themselves overall
    You said He seems to have a weakness in terms of spotting a genuinely great striker, you forgot to mention rooney .

I'm saying Martinez has done an excellent job building a squad. Moyes never did that. He had a good starting 11 but when the injuries inevitably mounted there was no squad depth whatsoever. There was also no young players blooded to step in apart from Rodwell who he happily sold.

The team Everton have out this season is almost 50/50 Moyes/Martinez but now there is a squad to back it up.

• Advertisement

Barkley played 209 minutes last season. Spent most of it on loan when Everton had a paper thin squad. Genius.

Edit: Scratch that -

I feel like I would be wasting my time with you so I wont bother

Edit: Scratch that -

I feel like I would be wasting my time with you so I wont bother

How's Zaha doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Just saw this on Facebook:

1513223_10152275105810984_1862150002_n.jpg

Amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

You said He seems to have a weakness in terms of spotting a genuinely great striker, you forgot to mention rooney .

No he didn't. He clearly said that Rooney was 16 and a once in a generation player anyway. I think most Everton fans would agree that Moyes didn't have a great track record with strikers.

Did I not mention him at all? Thought I did, regardless would have thought Rooney went without saying? I also dont think it took much to spot Rooney, I am pretty sure most people could tell he was going to be a player.

He does seem to have a weakness in that area. One player hardly changes that!

:)

How's Zaha doing?

Not quite as well as Adnan

Honestly, what ever angle you try to work this you dont have a leg to stand on and can only make yourself look foolish.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Just saw this on Facebook:

1513223_10152275105810984_1862150002_n.jpg

Amazing :D

Remember the chant from the terraces back in 08

Anderson son son
    He's better than Kleberson,
    Anderson son son
    He's our midfield magician.
    To the left, to the right,
    To the samba beat tonight,
    With the brass he is class,
    And he ****S ON FABREGAS !!!

Happy days!

Do you think he's been given a chance?

Going through the comparisons on this thread, can we all just agree that Janusaj is indisputably the greatest football player of all time and leave it at that? Thanks

Honestly, what ever angle you try to work this you dont have a leg to stand on and can only make yourself look foolish.

I'm not the one attempting to credit Evertons good season to a manager who isn't there anymore. But carry on if it makes you feel better.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement