Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Here is the latest UTD leak to keep as all fooled whilst they do nothing
    Valencia to swap Ever Banega with Manchester United's Javier Hernandez

http://www.sportpulse.net/content/valencia-willing-swap-ever-banega-manchester-uniteds-javier-hernandez-13157

All jokes aside that probably is bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Have we signed anyone yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

http://www.sportpulse.net/content/valencia-willing-swap-ever-banega-manchester-uniteds-javier-hernandez-13157

I wouldnt be so sure about that - i wouldnt rule it out. His name has cropped up a few times in the last few months and apparently he has asked to leave Valencia. Plus at 12.5m the price would be all right. Plenty of baggage following him off the field though, but from what I've read of him he is talented and is playing for Argentina so mightnt be a bad option at all, esp at that price. Wont be holding my breath though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

damn Moyes taking down the matrix again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Nick Powell has come off the bench to score 2 for Wigan at MK Dons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Anderson biting the wires again...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

They call that a meltdown, wait until the 31st

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Banega on the bench tonight too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I have waited many, many hours to post this, had it typed out when the site crashed. Probably less interesting now then when I was putting it up before, but its waited to long it deserves it.

Interesting article about the struggling Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who are also owned by the Glazers, and some of their questionable appointments. Suggestions are that they don't understand American football and make poor appointments as a result, and that they have opted for cheaper managers/coaches. Could the same be said for our situation?

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/blame-for-bucs-mess-starts-with-glazers/2159038

They understand American football just fine, its very different to "soccer" though, they have asset stripped and used plenty of the same practices in the NFL as they are doing to United, they tend to go after younger, cheaper rather then appoint or sign quality.

The farce about the stadium is another thing to look into for United fans, they took a team that won the Superbowl, with their help, to the very low trough they are in right now. Changes are needed in that organisation, big changes, front office and playing staff. It wont happen overnight, this was another season the same as many before for the Buc, head coach fired, qb traded, top corner traded, good rb traded, those last two are going to be lining up for my own NFL team this week in the championship game.

In terms of value, the Bucs are still up there, the team is valued at over $1billion (17th in NFL, which is no mean feat) and revenues have risen pretty much every year, success on the field is essential to good revenue over there, it is very different to our situation. Success on the field is essential to Man Uniteds revenues

Attendances at RJ Stadium keep falling of course, average attendance was about 55k last year (2nd lowest in NFL) but it doesnt matter a thing to the Glazers as long as they keep hoovering up the tv money. They are trying to cut prices and fill the stadium to comply with the TV blackout laws but it hasnt been successful as of yet

The are managing the debt too, the debt to value ratio is now 17%

More poor decisions have been made though, they signed a past his peak Revis to a 6 year contract worth $96million to try help the passing defence, which was worst in the league, of course, if they had signed him 3 years previously that would have been a great move, now it was just stupid.

They made a good decision already this year by firing the awful Schiano, personally I think his replacement is a meh appointment too though, he will be an improvement on Schiano, but thats not a glowing reference of his ability!

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/12/27/glazer-family-biggest-problem-tampa-bay-buccaneers-franchise/

If anyone is interested this blog article gives a decent opinion on the Glazers style, it is outdated as obviously they have fired Schiano now and reached agreement with Smith, I dunno what Im going on about any more tbh, I just got excited by the prospect of being able to talk NFL for a minute :)

More stuff about them and the way they conduct business etc in America

http://espn.go.com/columns/kreidler/1331226.html

to a lesser extent http://tbo.com/fennelly-no-way-glazers-can-defend-this-bucs-regime-20131229/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Reading that Fabio and Raf's agent has said it's likely both will leave in the summer.

Dr.-Who.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'd be up for a swap if it was Banega for Hernandez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Reading that Fabio and Raf's agent has said it's likely both will leave in the summer.

Hopefully this https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bd9kLrxIEAAHxsr.png clears that up!

Now that would be ****ing nuts, whatever about Fab, if Raf gets shipped out I will march

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Dr.-Who.gif

You need to re-evaluate the sites you read then.

Rafael is going nowhere, I'd be absolutely sure of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Hopefully that's just agent talk to get Fabio a new deal or whatever. Would be gutted to lose Raf. Someone post the pic of him in Tevez's face. That was amazing.

nuxxx wrote: »

I hope so

GSPfan wrote: »
    Hopefully that's just agent talk to get Fabio a new deal or whatever. Would be gutted to lose Raf. Someone post the pic of him in Tevez's face. That was amazing.

rafael-tevez-reuters-i%25255B1%25255D.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I like that Moyes is at the PSG game, Menez and Matuidi are both out of contract in the summer and both would improve us big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

kryogen wrote: »
    I have waited many, many hours to post this, had it typed out when the site crashed. Probably less interesting now then when I was putting it up before, but its waited to long it deserves it.

They understand American football just fine, its very different to "soccer" though, they have asset stripped and used plenty of the same practices in the NFL as they are doing to United, they tend to go after younger, cheaper rather then appoint or sign quality.

The farce about the stadium is another thing to look into for United fans, they took a team that won the Superbowl, with their help, to the very low trough they are in right now. Changes are needed in that organisation, big changes, front office and playing staff. It wont happen overnight, this was another season the same as many before for the Buc, head coach fired, qb traded, top corner traded, good rb traded, those last two are going to be lining up for my own NFL team this week in the championship game.

Schiano deserved to be fired, Freeman is terrible and they were lucky they managed to find some team that would trade for him, Talib - whilst talented is an idiot and had a very troubled time in Tampa, he was suspended when they traded him and his contract was coming to an end anyway - getting what they did for him was pretty good tbh. Blount was a joke in Tampa for the last few years, and with them having had Doug Martin have a great rookie season, there was no reason for them to keep him.

In relation to Revis, there's no guaranteed money in his contract so can cut him any year they want and have no dead money on their cap.

The way you've wrote it is painting the Glazers and Bucs as incompetent, and that's definitely not the case. They're a good team with no QB, and in one of the tougher divisions.

• Advertisement

With Moyes at these games I really hope he is trying to get all our Summer transfer sorted really early. I would F'n love loads of transfers before the World Cup. Please make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I like that Moyes is at the PSG game, Menez and Matuidi are both out of contract in the summer and both would improve us big time.

Jesus christ didn't realise Menez was out too. Get them both nailed to pre-contracts. Upgrades in both positions and fit into the much sought after "value for money" category.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Things seems to have gone quiet with news of the Coentrao loan move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

From PSG, if Coentrao doesn't happen, perhaps Lucas Digne. He barely plays for them, but he's a good player

Things seems to have gone quiet with news of the Coentrao loan move.

Until Madrid have some backup coming in Coentrao wont move

So Moyes was in Italy Sunday and Paris tonight? Raf is in a hotel tonight (what game is he playing tomorrow? reserves?) and Buttner is off to Amsterdam today.

I might be worrying to much as its only Tuesday and we have four days to prepare but it hardly seems the best way to prepare for the game Sunday.

Moyes apparently told a journo he was on vacation and not scouting anyone when approached at the Juve match. Surely it was tounge in cheek.

Done a Youtube on Menez and he looks really good. Comfortable running with the ball, two footed, scored some brilliant goals. For someone on a free transfer he would be fantastic. Some shocking defending in some of those goals but that doesn't take away from his ability to run with the ball at speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Banega would be a good signing,talented player and would be a big improvement on what we have .There are question marks about his off field behavior but he would be worth a chance.
    Would rather a cash deal than having Chico involved in a swap.

So Moyes was in Italy Sunday and Paris tonight? Raf is in a hotel tonight (what game is he playing tomorrow? reserves?) and Buttner is off to Amsterdam today.

I might be worrying to much as its only Tuesday and we have four days to prepare but it hardly seems the best way to prepare for the game Sunday.

Moyes apparently told a journo he was on vacation and not scouting anyone when approached at the Juve match. Surely it was tounge in cheek.

The raf pic is from before the swansea game. He posted under it today saying 'I am not leaving'

I really wish people would spend 5 mins and pay attention. It would save quite a few arguments on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Lad's what can you tell me about Matabudi what is he like. I have backed PSG twice the last week and seen Matabudi scored in both games. Didn't see enough to comment on him. What i mean is what type of midfielder is he i don't know if he scores regularly but we badly lack goals from the middle of the park.

• Advertisement

Of course Schiano deserved to be fired! He was terrible, he succeeded in doing one thing, getting more control over the locker room after the farce that was the Raheem Morris era, Freeman, yep, sucks ball, Talib, like many a trouble rep player before him has integrated brilliantly in the Pats locker room, not a peep out of him and you can see the difference he makes on the field. Fantastic player, BB clearly able to get the best out of him.

I wont de rail this too much since its a soccer forum, but let me just say I completely disagree that the way the Bucs have conducted themselves for a number of years now has been nothing short of incompetent, and that would be generous, they will still now have to pay Schiano 9 mil and have commited 20 mil to Lovie Smith. Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks didnt come cheap either! They have talent in that roster and have no clue how to make it work, you dont refute any of the off field stuff which is something at least.

For the record, I agree that Blount was the right trade for them, he has come up big for us, again credit goes to BB for being probably the GOAT coach who can make many players look amazing in his system.

I will discuss this with you via pm if you wish but I dont think its a good idea to continue it on thread?

The Glazer ownership of the Bucs and has been poor. Thats my stance on the matter. There have been signs recently that they are going to change, or try to change things, spending big in FA was unusual, they are apparently going to fund upgrades to the stadium from their own pocket, if it is true they approached Chucky about coming back that would have shown something too. No idea if true though, his firing was a blunder of epic proportions imo

lordgoat wrote: »
    The raf pic is from before the swansea game. He posted under it today saying 'I am not leaving'

I really wish people would spend 5 mins and pay attention. It would save quite a few arguments on here.

Its the first time I've seen the pic and there is no date on it. I don't follow any players on instagram either.

Also the hotel thing? Might be a silly question by why a hotel the night before a home game?

Its the first time I've seen the pic and there is no date on it. I don't follow any players on instagram either.

Also the hotel thing? Might be a silly question by why a hotel the night before a home game?

Its a done thing, always been done (in the modern times). Gets the team together, eating together, sleeping together, waking up and preparing together. No hanky panky (theoretically) and gets them into the "zone" better apparently

kryogen wrote: »
    Its a done thing, always been done (in the modern times). Gets the team together, eating together, sleeping together, waking up and preparing together. No hanky panky (theoretically) and gets them into the "zone" better apparently

Makes sense I suppose. I knew it the case for away games obviously but thought they would have to turn up at Carrington or somewhere and then go on the coach together to the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

lordgoat wrote: »

Pay attention to what? There's no date on the ****in thing!

Pay attention to what? There's no date on the ****in thing!

Not sure what argument it was going to cause either :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Bit of a random Q here, but i'm going to be in Newcastle this weekend and was just wondering if anyone knows of an ok spot to watch the Chelsea match on Sunday.
    Obviously I imagine every pub in the city will be showing the game but I just don't want to wander into a place where I might find myself in a bit of trouble for shouting on United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bit of a random Q here, but i'm going to be in Newcastle this weekend and was just wondering if anyone knows of an ok spot to watch the Chelsea match on Sunday.
    Obviously I imagine every pub in the city will be showing the game but I just don't want to wander into a place where I might find myself in a bit of trouble for shouting on United.

Crows nest or Percy arms might be your best bet. I know crows nest also do decent enough food.

I be bit careful though abour roaring for United in Newcastle. Most places would be fine, but you always need be careful.

The 2 pubs above are fine, but just warning you about been vocal.

Great City.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Crows nest or Percy arms might be your best bet. I know crows nest also do decent enough food.

I be bit careful though abour roaring for United in Newcastle. Most places would be fine, but you always need be careful.

The 2 pubs above are fine, but just warning you about been vocal.

Great City.

Cheers Kew appreciate the help.

I don't plan on full on roaring at the telly for 90 minutes but at the same time if we do score I wont' be able to help myself celebrating, but I imagine I should be fine

• Advertisement

lol, learn to use twitter/google. It's bizarre I can't find a pic without the date.

Edit - not worth my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Cheers Kew appreciate the help.

I don't plan on full on roaring at the telly for 90 minutes but at the same time if we do score I wont' be able to help myself celebrating, but I imagine I should be fine

There wont be much to celebrate im sorry to say.

So 16 days until the transfer window closes and not one sign of a bite on the line. I don't really get man utds position. For a team like us that are dying for reinforcements not to do some homework before the window opens and get out of the blocks early with a signing. Maybe I ask to much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Anybody think we have a chance of signing one of the targets from Juventus. They are out of the Champions League, should win the league. If they are going to sell it would be better now so they can line up targets before the summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Headshot wrote: »
    So 16 days until the transfer window closes and not one sign of a bite on the line. I don't really get man utds position. For a team like us that are dying for reinforcements not to do some homework before the window opens and get out of the blocks early with a signing. Maybe I ask to much?

Honestly, I think there is stuff happening behind the scenes, though what it is, I don't know. Be it a lack of trust in Moyes or Woodward, poor scouting, poor negotiations, a lack of cash, locker room turmoil...there's a story that we aren't getting I reckon that's causing a standstill in back room work.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Anybody think we have a chance of signing one of the targets from Juventus. They are out of the Champions League, should win the league. If they are going to sell it would be better now so they can line up targets before the summer.

More of a chance of pro f and airbag agreeing on clever than signing any juve player

• Advertisement

Winning the league will put a few extra million on their players when selling, it would be mad of them to let them go now anyway risking not winning it, unless it's a fringe player, but I think Moyes is after better.

For whatever reason I think Caceres would be attainable, although we are more likely to sign Astori :(

What we should do since Fabio is not wanted by Moyes, is take Coentrao on loan for the few months and in return we give them Fabio for the few months, he can sit on their bench instead of not even making ours :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not a hope in hell Pogba and Vidal are both coming to OT.

I will take 1 though:P

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

if pogba goes to psg we should take verratti off their hands

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement