Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Not a hope in hell Pogba and Vidal are both coming to OT.

I will take 1 though:P

Would love either but i would gladly settle for Marchisio. I think Matabudi is a target if Moyes is looking at PSG. He is out of contract in the summer and he would fit the bill of being a cheap signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

has to be de rossi for me. big name and would galvanise the whole team. a class act. after him id take vidal. just do not want lallana!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Alot of skewered opinions in here. No way a big name player, or even relatively class player is moving in January, it makes ZERO sense, and unless there is a valid reason ( ie contract, falling out) there is no reason to move.

I would like some activity, but I don't expect it. What top club, which is chasing honours, is going to depart with key first team players. Go figure.

And I would rather we didn't spunk cash on ****ing mediocrity. Everyone knows we are looking, so clubs are happily just lumping higher figures and fees. There is normally terrible offerings and value in the market January. Vidic and Evra were the last signings we made in January of note, and they werent even significant at the time....there is little to zero recent history to suggest we do business in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Would love either but i would gladly settle for Marchisio. I think Matabudi is a target if Moyes is looking at PSG. He is out of contract in the summer and he would fit the bill of being a cheap signing.

Do you mean Matuidi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Nuts102 wrote: »

I don't wanna be that guy but its Matuidi.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

TheDoc wrote: »
    Alot of skewered opinions in here. No way a big name player, or even relatively class player is moving in January, it makes ZERO sense, and unless there is a valid reason ( ie contract, falling out) there is no reason to move.

SuperSkewerBBQSkewer_P1.jpg

:p

I would like some activity, but I don't expect it. What top club, which is chasing honours, is going to depart with key first team players. Go figure.

And I would rather we didn't spunk cash on ****ing mediocrity. Everyone knows we are looking, so clubs are happily just lumping higher figures and fees. There is normally terrible offerings and value in the market January. Vidic and Evra were the last signings we made in January of note, and they werent even significant at the time....there is little to zero recent history to suggest we do business in January.

fiar enough point but i dont think we have been this desperate ever before that I can think of. we are short quality in the spine of the team. we need backup for rooney, rvp and januzaj. i dont see any reason why juve wouldnt sell- league wrapped up and money hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pro F had good post on this few nights ago about the January market.

There has to be somebody out there who can at least improve our LB situation. Plenty of decent LB at non CL or EL(even) clubs.

If we were to at least solve LB it gives us some chance. CM imo is needed. Maybe buy potential or go after the few that are good enough to make step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's very possible that money isn't being spent this window as only short term fixes are available and this season has already been written off, so Moyes is starting the summer scouting early, probably been backed by the Glazer's to be here next season regardless if he doesn't make the top 4.

Food for thought.

Do you mean Matuidi?

Ye too lazy to check just knew his name was something like that.

• Advertisement

It's very possible that money isn't being spent this window as only short term fixes are available and this season has already been written off, so Moyes is starting the summer scouting early, probably been backed by the Glazer's to be here next season regardless if he doesn't make the top 4.

Food for thought.

ok but why waste his time going to turin and paris to watch psg and juve play a few days before a massive game against chelski?

What do you class as mediocrity though their are plenty of players who can come in and are not world class. Matuidi, Menez, Cabaye, Contrao, off the top of my head are possible signings this window and would improve the first 11 and would not cost huge money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Food for thought.

I dont think it is in Moyes make up, or this clubs for that matter, to simply write off a season half way through, it is an interesting point, I would just be very surprised if it carried any weight.

I think he is scouting for the summer alright, but he is known for being methodical with his scouting so I would imagine he is scouting all year round. I think, like me actually, he thinks the squad is good enough to push up the table and will gamble that he is going to get them all fit and keep them that way for the rest of the season if signings are not made. I will still be very surprised if nobody comes in though.

If players leave, players surely have to come in, looking like its going to be drawn out anyway unfortunately

keano2012 wrote: »
    ok but why waste his time going to turin and paris to watch psg and juve play a few days before a massive game against chelski?

Speaking of, when is the deadline for when a signing can play, as in what day do we need to have someone in (if they were coming in) so that they would be registered in time for the Chelsea gam do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

What ever happened to your man flahavaj?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

kryogen wrote: »
    I dont think it is in Moyes make up, or this clubs for that matter, to simply write off a season half way through, it is an interesting point, I would just be very surprised if it carried any weight.

I think he is scouting for the summer alright, but he is known for being methodical with his scouting so I would imagine he is scouting all year round. I think, like me actually, he thinks the squad is good enough to push up the table and will gamble that he is going to get them all fit and keep them that way for the rest of the season if signings are not made. I will still be very surprised if nobody comes in though.

If players leave, players surely have to come in, looking like its going to be drawn out anyway unfortunately

Yeah you're right, I meant it as in their expectations though, wasn't 3rd place their expectations for this season written somewhere?

I think they've told him he's staying even if he doesn't get 3rd/4th but to still obviously try and get it and if we do happy days.

It's a good point from keano a few posts up though, why would he be looking at summer targets less than a week before a Chelsea game.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

is he gone? Could have sworn he'd never left! Your eally miss the old crew at times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

lordgoat wrote: »
    is he gone? Could have sworn he'd never left! Your eally miss the old crew at times!

Yeah he closed his account, last post was nearly two years ago. I wonder why. I used to enjoy his posts (I lurked here for a long time before signing up).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yeah he closed his account, last post was nearly two years ago. I wonder why. I used to enjoy his posts (I lurked here for a long time before signing up).
    didn't he close the account over some bet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It was on Off the Ball that David Moyes has only taken two days off from work since he was appointed United manager, Christmas day and some other day...

Quit

Although some say he is here in another form

yabadabado wrote: »
    didn't he close the account over some bet ?

Nope, we have had a few of them over the years though :)

Cant remember the exact reasons any more tbh, something to do with needing to take a break from boards basically iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't like the idea of going for just anybody that would be an improvement on that midfield. A lot of people would improve it given the state it's in but adding players to your wage bill that are decent but not top quality or potentially top quality is a bad idea. I'd rather wait and get the right players tbh. I'm really hoping that Moyes doesn't panic buy at any stage.

I called it at the start of the summer that he'd be looking to bring some of his own (Fellaini, Baines) in first, then he'd start to branch out.

I think he has a decent eye for players and doesn't rigidly stick to the PL so there's a lot to be optimistic about if he ever does start splashing the cash. Quite encouraged that he and his staff are being spotted at foreign matches during this window. Bodes well hopefully.

Anyway, that's this thread's weekly dose of positivity. Stay tuned for more next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

titan18 wrote: »
    From PSG, if Coentrao doesn't happen, perhaps Lucas Digne. He barely plays for them, but he's a good player

Just noticed this, but yes, Digne strikes me as the type who could potentially be the best player in his position in a few years, a French Phillip Lahm maybe. I wouldn't imagine he's in a hurry to leave France just yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I don't like the idea of going for just anybody that would be an improvement on that midfield. A lot of people would improve it given the state it's in but adding players to your wage bill that are decent but not top quality or potentially top quality is a bad idea. I'd rather wait and get the right players tbh. I'm really hoping that Moyes doesn't panic buy at any stage.

I called it at the start of the summer that he'd be looking to bring some of his own (Fellaini, Baines) in first, then he'd start to branch out.

I think he has a decent eye for players and doesn't rigidly stick to the PL so there's a lot to be optimistic about if he ever does start splashing the cash. Quite encouraged that he and his staff are being spotted at foreign matches during this window. Bodes well hopefully.

Anyway, that's this thread's weekly dose of positivity. Stay tuned for more next week.

Good post.

However there are players out there we can get for decent price to sort out our short term problems.

• Advertisement

I agree on the wages but their should be a big bulk gone off it before next season. I presume Giggs and Ferdinand are on big money and will be gone and also Evra and Anderson. I would say Ferdinand and Evra's wages combined would be a similar amount to 4 very good players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Anyone remember we where after this guy a few years ago, "the Belgian Roy Keane"

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9116725/transfer-news-steven-defour-wants-porto-exit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'd have target number 1 in the Summer over target number 2 in January any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Anyone remember we where after this guy a few years ago, "the Belgian Roy Keane"

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9116725/transfer-news-steven-defour-wants-porto-exit

Yeah, it looks dead certain that he will join us that too after SAF writing a letter when he was injured.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

true but remember Arsene was scoffed at when he had really bad transfer window and signed in some seasoned pros at the last minute to tie things over. didnt work out too bad now did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Quit

Although some say he is here in another form

He did have a new account but I think he got rumbled and it got closed a while ago. Not sure if he came back again after. Good egg.

Anderson, Evra, Ferdinand, Giggs, Fabio are all certs to be gone I think, they must be the guts of 350k a week there

Then add in the possibilities of Nani, Buttner, Vidic, Lindegaard and you could be talking about another 300k+

Others that could be shipped out are Macheda, Bebe, Petrucci and another couple of the younger lads

We could see a big player departure in Rooney or Kagawa

From the first group I expect them all to go, I think at least one will go from the second group, more likely two imo, the reserves are hard to predict but I would be surprised if those three were still at the club next year anyway and we could lose one of Rooney or Kagawa this summer, I hope not, but it could happen.

Basically, our wage bill isnt a problem imo anyway and getting in players now who we may want to sell in a couple of years time when real top quality has been added and settled in, or developed should not be a problem. There is no shortage of footballers who would jump at the chance to play for this club, sadly there is also plenty of those footballers, who may not be top class right now, that would improve our starting XI straight away.

Looked like he was gonna be a brilliant player alright, never heard the belgian roy keane thing but other then that :)

Alex Sandro

Yay or Nay?

A double swoop for him and Fernando would do nicely for me too!

keane2097 wrote: »
    He did have a new account but I think he got rumbled and it got closed a while ago. Not sure if he came back again after. Good egg.

:confused:

You obviously didn't read his very last post which was in relation to Hillsborough victims before he cowardly closed his account.
    If you did I'm guessing you wouldn't be calling him a good egg.

this discussion is probably not for here and now so I will leave it at that.

Agueroooo wrote: »

You obviously didn't read his very last post which was in relation to Hillsborough victims before he cowardly closed his account.

What was your old accounts name?

Edit: You sure his last post was about Hillsborough? Not how I remember it, however, my memory wouldnt be the best.

A quick search shows his last posts were in the PW forum and his last one in football is about the Suarez racism incident, anyway, a one or two posts out of thousands does not turn a good egg to a bad one. He was a valued contributor and is missed, and this coming from someone who regularly jousted with him :)

Edit Edit: Were you perhaps Keanooo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Make an accusation and immediately decide you don't want to talk about it is pretty classy in its own right.

A quick search shows his last posts were in the PW forum and his last one in football is about the Suarez racism incident, anyway, a one or two posts out of thousands does not turn a good egg to a bad one. He was a valued contributor and is missed, and this coming from someone who regularly jousted with him :)

more than likely deleted.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Make an accusation and immediately decide you don't want to talk about it is pretty classy in its own right.

I didn't want to drag this thread down.

the reasons for him closing his account was obvious on the day, and the post in question was obviously deleted since.
    I am sure I am not the only one to have read it.

any further discussion will probably go against the charter.

so no need for the snotty 'classy' comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Nemanja Matic.

Speaking of, when is the deadline for when a signing can play, as in what day do we need to have someone in (if they were coming in) so that they would be registered in time for the Chelsea gam do you know?

deadline for register players for a 'matchday' is noon on the Friday before hand (valid for Saturday, Sunday and (i think) Monday matches).

I also don't think any new signing would be available for the Sunderland game - I think you have to use registered players at the time of the first match. Could be wrong on that, but I remember some new signing (not for us) not being able to play a cup match cause he had not been registered at the time of the first game - it could have been a 'replay' he wasn't allowed to feature in though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson start against chelsea lol deary me our midfield is div.1 standard compared to Chelsea's at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson start against chelsea lol deary me our midfield is div.1 standard compared to Chelsea's at this stage

Is it really though? am I missing something.. Mikel, Essien, Lampard, David Luiz.

Ramires is the only one they have and I can see why they are going for Matic, Chelsea strength seems to be their ability to get the best out of their attacking trio. I have been particularly impressed by Willian in the few games I have seen of him.

bullvine wrote: »
    Is it really though? am I missing something.. Mikel, Essien, Lampard, David Luiz.

Ramires is the only one they have and I can see why they are going for Matic, Chelsea strength seems to be their ability to get the best out of their attacking trio. I have been particularly impressed by Willian in the few games I have seen of him.

their central midfield options aren't great, but the supporting attacking players are far better than ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Fletcher Carrick
    Rooney

That is a pretty decent central trio in my opinion and good enough to give the vast majority of teams enough of it....far from Division 1 standard.
    Depth of quality is a problem but with everyone fit and firing we can put out very good sides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Sure what would you know about him? You're only around a little over a year.
    Pretty sure it didn't play out like that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Those midfield options don't compare with Barca or Bayern but then they don't have to, they have to compare with Cleverley, Fletcher, Carrick and Giggs. And that comparison makes them look like world beaters, especially when you Ramires to the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Anderson also had a great game at the bridge last year. Wouldn't mind seeing him play.

Hazard Mata and Oscar are midfielders too albiet attacking. I'm just not happy the way we haven't been up to much the past while with regards to signing players. Fellaini was a rushed signing.
    Nani Anderson Young coming or going? Sell them off.
    Keep Kagawa Carrick Jan Fletch Fellaini and maybe Val, buy some strong characters with new ideas to bring to the team to freshen the midfield up.
    I think if Moyes is going to have a team playing the way he wants to its not going happen with the current midfield.

beno619 wrote: »
    Anderson also had a great game at the bridge last year. Wouldn't mind seeing him play.

Anderson Carrick Fletcher Rooney and Januzaj with 1 up front sounds good:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I remember Seeing someone posting the wages A while back and did the maths if evra Ferdinand vidic ( hopefully will stay) giggs young and Anderson left it added to 555000 a week off the wage bill

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement