Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Those midfield options don't compare with Barca or Bayern but then they don't have to, they have to compare with Cleverley, Fletcher, Carrick and Giggs. And that comparison makes them look like world beaters, especially when you Ramires to the list.

I don't agree, both sets are very average midfield players, Lampard is way past his best, as is Essien, Mikel has never been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bullvine wrote: »
    I don't agree, both sets are very average midfield players, Lampard is way past his best, as is Essien, Mikel has never been great.

They are both very average sets indeed. But the Chelsea midfield is still better than anything United will put out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

bullvine wrote: »

Lampard is injured, Essien wont make the bench and Mikel will be benched.

You wont have to worry about any of those 3 on Sunday, unless we're winning and Jose decides to shut up shop and throw on Mikel for the last few mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Agueroooo wrote: »
    more than likely deleted.

I didn't want to drag this thread down.

the reasons for him closing his account was obvious on the day, and the post in question was obviously deleted since.
    I am sure I am not the only one to have read it.

any further discussion will probably go against the charter.

so no need for the snotty 'classy' comment.

You threw a barb at a guy for making a comment then being too much of a coward to stick around and take whatever flak came back at him afterwards, and then said you didn't want to discuss it.

You're refusing to have a discussion about your comment which derided a guy for refusing to have a discussion about his comment.

This "I don't want to drag the thread off topic" is a load of bollocks. You brought it up. You are trying to leave it hanging there while you run away from anything further on it.

So I stand by the snotty comment and am prepared to become even snottier if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

this discussion is probably not for here and now so I will leave it at that.

Whats your old account? were you a naughty boy? :)

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    You threw a barb at a guy for making a comment then being too much of a coward to stick around and take whatever flak came back at him afterwards.

You're refusing to have a discussion about your comment which derided a guy for refusing to have a discussion about his comment.

This "I don't want to drag the thread off topic" is a load of bollocks. You brought it up. You are trying to leave it hanging there while you run away from anything further on it.

So I stand by the snotty comment and am prepared to become even snottier if required.
    more than likely deleted.

I didn't want to drag this thread down.

the reasons for him closing his account was obvious on the day, and the post in question was obviously deleted since.
    I am sure I am not the only one to have read it.

any further discussion will probably go against the charter.

so no need for the snotty 'classy' comment.
    Trilla wrote: »
    Whats your old account? were you a naughty boy? :)

Right, lets end it here and I'm going to quote the charter for ye all regarding Flah and others, theres other posts too but I'm not going to go back through 3/4 pages of it.
    Speculation about whether a user is a re-reg is a yellow card offence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Any transfer gossip today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Any transfer gossip today?

Apparently the Da Silva twins agent has said that both are likely to leave in the summer.
    That could possibly be yesterdays news though...im not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Apparently the Da Silva twins agent has said that both are likely to leave in the summer.
    That could possibly be yesterdays news though...im not sure.

Rafael said on twitter he isn't leaving.

Of course he isn't leaving though. Why would we sell him and why would he leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,386 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Of course he isn't leaving though. Why would we sell him and why would he leave?

Why might we sell him? Maybe because Moyes doesn't rate him that highly?
    Why would he leave? Maybe if we are looking to sell him he will look to leave.

Personally I think we would be crazy to let him go, and I would hope Moyes feels the same way too.

• Advertisement

His agent might give him a smack for saying that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

His agent might give him a smack for saying that!

If his agent in fact has not been, misquoted, lied about, whatever, then you would imagine it would be Raf giving him a smack for being a tool

Vidic agent never said an extension was not going to be signed, and I would highly doubt Rafs agent said he would be leaving.

Selling him would be beyond insane you know

kryogen wrote: »
    If his agent in fact has not been, misquoted, lied about, whatever, then you would imagine it would be Raf giving him a smack for being a tool

Vidic agent never said an extension was not going to be signed, and I would highly doubt Rafs agent said he would be leaving.

Selling him would be beyond insane you know

If in fact his agent did say he ''is likely to leave in the summer'' my guess is that it's a ploy to get a better contract. Unless Moyes is mad and doesn't rate him then i can't see him leaving either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Lampard is injured, Essien wont make the bench and Mikel will be benched.

You wont have to worry about any of those 3 on Sunday, unless we're winning and Jose decides to shut up shop and throw on Mikel for the last few mins.
    We'll miss the game Sunday Gav will we?

PS have we signed anyone yet?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    We'll miss the game Sunday Gav will we?

PS have we signed anyone yet?

Our match is 11.15, we'll be well back, even if it goes to penos :pac:

If in fact his agent did say he ''is likely to leave in the summer'' my guess is that it's a ploy to get a better contract. Unless Moyes is mad and doesn't rate him then i can't see him leaving either.

Except his agent didn't say that and publically denied the story about Rafel leaving. He's under contract until 2016

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/rafaels-agent-denies-manchester-united-2299479

BTW If anyone's wondering if I'm new to this board, my previous username was NiallMH93

Can you show me where his agent said this please?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Screw that kry- we both know the only thing to believe is what the player himself says. Everything else isn't good enough...

I read it somewhere earlier, cant remember which website. I never said that he said it as fact btw, one would be silly to believe any of these transfer rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

If anyone's wondering if I'm new to this board, my previous username was NiallMH93

Macklin, you son of a bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So was Neville watching A.Madrid last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Going by this report that international man of mystery that is David Moyes will be back in Italy tonight,watching Napoli v Atalanta

While Jim Lawlor will be in Potugal watching Porto

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2539733/United-ramp-scouting-mission-Moyes-Neville-embark-European-tour.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sure what would you know about him? You're only around a little over a year.
    Pretty sure it didn't play out like that either.

Hah that's funny, also bigger lol at the username that was picked and his claim as to why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Would anyone be surprised if we signed nobody in the window? I honestly wouldn't.

Would be delighted to get (realistically) Cabaye and A.N Other but not holding out much hope.

Macklin, you son of a bitch.

You thought I was dead? So did the president ... 's enemies

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Would anyone be surprised if we signed nobody in the window? I honestly wouldn't.

Would be delighted to get (realistically) Cabaye and A.N Other but not holding out much hope.

Its looking fairly bleak atm,

Could we see Powell getting called back from Wigan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

The surprise would be if someone did sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

At least Baines has decided to sign a new contract with Everton,that's that put to bed so.Go sign Coentrao now please David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

i never expected that we would. Some signs that they are looking at doing something if Moyes is being spotted at games in Italy and what not but won't be surprised if nothing is done.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    At least Baines has decided to sign a new contract with Everton,that's that put to bed so.Go sign Coentrao now please David.

FWIW I don't expect us to sign Coentrao, not until Ancelotti has cover for left back anyway, but can anyone explain why he's been dropped from the RM first team. I don't follow Spanish football very closely, but I thought Coentrao was pretty good every time I saw him for Madrid or Portugal. When and why did he fall out of favour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

To jump topic (apologies).In all honesty I haven't seen enough of Pogba to make any sort of informed comment on him. Getting him back seems like a complete pipedream and fabrication by lazy journalists. Here's an interesting quote about him:

"Pogba is one of those players who leaves you speechless. After only three or four training sessions we were impressed by his enormous qualities. We looked at each other as if to say 'Are they blind in Manchester?'" - Gianluigi Buffon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,386 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would be shocked if we do anything - the mess of this season is going to continue right through to the end, with no steps taken to correct it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

For me arturo vidal is the llayer we should throw bags of cash at... what an addition he would be even more than cesc IMO anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Would be shocked if we do anything - the mess of this season is going to continue right through to the end, with no steps taken to correct it.

Crikey you've gone on a total negative bitchfest recently...I had you as a fairly level headed and reasonable poster and respected your views...I might have to alter this opinion ;)
    However i do agree on your point in that i would be surprised if we signed anyone, if Anderson is going to Fiorentina as suggested, maybe Powell (having a great season with Wigan) will be recalled and get no game time ala Ando...
    I had hoped this window might be something good but i have given up on it. I'm hoping the summer might be better but WC summers are notriously bad, so unless we get the deals done before the end of the season and announced early I think we'll be in for another crappy window in Summer 2014.

Here is my take on it.

Call it panic buying or whatever but the recent frenzy of scouting since the cup loss to me means that we are going to buy someone this window. I think it will be a CM and after we decide who, probably early next week after all reports are in, (Moyes in Italy tonight by a few accounts) I think we will bid for someone. That player will be a replacement for Anderson who it looks like is on his way to Fiorienta. If no one is signed he will be kept simply as we need numbers in there. I do think the main business will be left until June before the world cup (I hope).

Of course I could be completly wrong and Ando go and no one come in but the above is what makes the most sense to me.

• Advertisement

We can only hope that Moyes & Neville return from the continent with a few players also on the plane.

Cortese is leaving Southampton and the manager isn't happy about it,with this in mind why don't we make cheeky bids for Lallana & Shaw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

lordgoat wrote: »
    Here is my take on it.

Call it panic buying or whatever but the recent frenzy of scouting since the cup loss to me means that we are going to buy someone this window. I think it will be a CM and after we decide who, probably early next week after all reports are in, (Moyes in Italy tonight by a few accounts) I think we will bid for someone. That player will be a replacement for Anderson who it looks like is on his way to Fiorienta. If no one is signed he will be kept simply as we need numbers in there. I do think the main business will be left until June before the world cup (I hope).

Of course I could be completly wrong and Ando go and no one come in but the above is what makes the most sense to me.

I think you're right there and it does make more sense. If we weren't going to sign anyone then it would be daft to be doing so much travelling and personal scouting around Europe in the space of 3-4 weeks rather than over the course of the rest of the season.

I just hope that the dithering Dave tag doesn't come to fruition again and we get someone signed well before the end of the window.

Pre-contracts for Matuidi and Menez as mentioned before would be a good start to the summer too. We'd have two good squad players replacing deadwood like Anderson and others. Then go after one or two big names.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Screw that kry- we both know the only thing to believe is what the player himself says. Everything else isn't good enough...

People not checking things out is a pet hate of mine, just believing something without actually looking in to it a bit to see if its true or not. Does my head in, not great for internet message board :)

People not checking things out is a pet hate of mine, just believing something without actually looking in to it a bit to see if its true or not. Does my head in, not great for internet message board :)

I'm with you on that.

For example, I was pretty sure I read that Moyes said Powell wasn't being recalled from loan this january.

A quick google and you get:
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11682/9098325/sky-bet-championship-wigan-boss-uwe-rosler-hints-at-nick-powell-stay

Not concrete by any means but I don't expect him to be recalled, a move to a PL club maybe but if he's happy and developing there. That's grand.

Also not sure if it was mentioned, but Varela has gone back to South America to be with his family after they were in a serious car accident. Saw this in a few places but can't remember where. Seems like a plausible story.

We can only hope that Moyes & Neville return from the continent with a few players also on the plane.

Cortese is leaving Southampton and the manager isn't happy about it,with this in mind why don't we make cheeky bids for Lallana & Shaw?

With this in mind why don't we make a cheeky bid for Cortese??

• Advertisement

So if Pogba is going to join PSG then why don't we push for Matuidi,out of contract in the Summer & no incentive to stay if Pogba takes his place.Yann M'Vila also linked with PSG today even more reason for Matiudi not to hang around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

So if Pogba is going to join PSG then why don't we push for Matuidi,out of contract in the Summer & no incentive to stay if Pogba takes his place.Yann M'Vila also linked with PSG today even more reason for Matiudi not to hang around.

if hes out of contract in the summer and doesnt look like signing a new one then you would imagine that PSG will be willing to sell to make money from him but then again its not like PSG cant afford for him to walk away on a free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

If Pogba goes to PSG Utd should do everything they can to sign Verrartti.

magnumbud wrote: »
    if hes out of contract in the summer and doesnt look like signing a new one then you would imagine that PSG will be willing to sell to make money from him but then again its not like PSG cant afford for him to walk away on a free

Knowing United,he'll sign for somebody else for €5 million and we'll be linked with a €35 million bid in 2 years.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't think PSG care about money, keep him to help them win the title and then he can leave o a free in the summer and they'll blow 50m on a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Seeing that we haven't signed anyone yet, here's something for ye all. What player did you think Utd should have signed in the past, but didn't, and the decision not to sign the player has been completely justified looking at their career since?

For me it would be Charlie Adam, thought they should have signed him before Liverpool. In hindsight, good decision not to sign him!

Also, what player(s) did you think would do a lot better for us than they actually did?
    Kleberson looked good in the 02 WC, I thought he'd be very good.
    Bellion had great pace and seemed a good buy at the time.

I also thought Macheda would push on big time after the Villa and Sunderland goals, thought he would be a very good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Knowing United,he'll sign for somebody else for €5 million and we'll be linked with a €35 million bid in 2 years.:(

most likely outcome.
    still pisses me off that we didn't get Dembele as part of the Berba deal.Would have been a very good signing and at a decent price when Berba was included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Also, what player(s) did you think would do a lot better for us than they actually did?

Anderson.
    Such a disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

xtal191 wrote: »
    If Pogba goes to PSG Utd should do everything they can to sign Verrartti.

Is it not rumoured he wants to go back to Italy??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Veron

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement