Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Seeing that we haven't signed anyone yet, here's something for ye all. What player did you think Utd should have signed in the past, but didn't, and the decision not to sign the player has been completely justified looking at their career since?

For me it would be Charlie Adam, thought they should have signed him before Liverpool. In hindsight, good decision not to sign him!

Also, what player(s) did you think would do a lot better for us than they actually did?
    Kleberson looked good in the 02 WC, I thought he'd be very good.
    Bellion had great pace and seemed a good buy at the time.

I also thought Macheda would push on big time after the Villa and Sunderland goals, thought he would be a very good player.

Mother of God. Every sentence a disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ah yes, the infamous Charlie Adams debatable. I recall genuine apathy that we didn't make moves for Adam, Scott Parker, and Joe Cole.

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Seeing that we haven't signed anyone yet, here's something for ye all. What player did you think Utd should have signed in the past, but didn't, and the decision not to sign the player has been completely justified looking at their career since?

For me it would be Charlie Adam, thought they should have signed him before Liverpool. In hindsight, good decision not to sign him!

Also, what player(s) did you think would do a lot better for us than they actually did?
    Kleberson looked good in the 02 WC, I thought he'd be very good.
    Bellion had great pace and seemed a good buy at the time.

I also thought Macheda would push on big time after the Villa and Sunderland goals, thought he would be a very good player.

What player did you think Utd should have signed in the past, but didn't, and the decision not to sign the player has been completely justified looking at their career since?
    Alan Shearer 1996, we signed Ole instead.....Oh Alan Shearer, went to Newcastle and he won fcuk all...
    Lucas Leiva....Loserpool, nuff said..
    Lucas Moura...can't get into the PSG team
    Douglas Costa...decent but not the star we all imagined

Liam Miller - didn't understand his signing, thought he'd do much better
    Djemba x 2
    Poborsky and Cryuff
    I wouldn't put Veron in this category, he was way ahead of his time and Scholes was so similar to him in that sort of QB role..he'd be perfect for us now

On this you could also throw in....
    1. Players we missed out on and we really fcuked up by not signing...Ronaldinho, Ozil after 2010 (he was in Manchester..i seen him with my own two eyes!!!!!)...
    2. Players (youth/young) from the club we sold but shouldn't have let go...Pique, rossi, Pogba, Morrison

TBF to Macheda, he was a 17 year old kid and we were looking for Miracles from him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Ah yes, the infamous Charlie Adams debatable. I recall genuine apathy that we didn't make moves for Adam, Scott Parker, and Joe Cole.

Scott Parker. I remember that. I seem to recall somebody saying we should have got Barton too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

brinty wrote: »
    What player did you think Utd should have signed in the past, but didn't, and the decision not to sign the player has been completely justified looking at their career since?
    Alan Shearer 1996, we signed Ole instead.....Oh Alan Shearer, went to Newcastle and he won fcuk all...

Aw hell no. Alan Shearer would have broken records galore if he had signed for United, and the fact that other players did well instead doesn't change that fact. The man was the complete striker and would have fitted in at United perfectly.

If he had chosen us ahead of Blackburn he would have been playing with Cantona and I think they would have complimented each other really well. Later if he had chosen us ahead of Newcastle, he would have been supplied by Beckham and Giggs and had Scholes feeding off him, he would have been unstoppable.

Cole, Yorke etc did very well, but its easy to forget how damn good Shearer was at his prime. The man was world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Is it not rumoured he wants to go back to Italy??

I guess PSG could use him in exchange for Pogba

Aw hell no. Alan Shearer would have broken records galore if he had signed for United, and the fact that other players did well instead doesn't change that fact. The man was the complete striker and would have fitted in at United perfectly.

If he had chosen us ahead of Blackburn he would have been playing with Cantona and I think they would have complimented each other really well. Later if he had chosen us ahead of Newcastle, he would have been supplied by Beckham and Giggs and had Scholes feeding off him, he would have been unstoppable.

Cole, Yorke etc did very well, but its easy to forget how damn good Shearer was at his prime. The man was world class.

Great player, but there was always something about Shearer as a player that I disliked.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Lucas Moura...can't get into the PSG team
    Douglas Costa...decent but not the star we all imagined

They were two players we were heavily linked with too. Supposedly we offered nearly 25 (or 30?) million for Moura. He can't make PSG team, but has he the potential to be very good?

Actually many people wanted Parker too, he was a very good player for a few seasons. Didn't he win PFA player of the year once?

KH25 wrote: »
    Great player, but there was always something about Shearer as a player that I disliked.

This and more...
    His constant having a go at Keane bugged the 5h1t3 out of me
    And he turned us down twice apparently...
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...and thats what he did...

Gimme 20legend over that high foreheaded twat anyday

• Advertisement

They were two players we were heavily linked with too. Supposedly we offered nearly 25 (or 30?) million for Moura. He can't make PSG team, but has he the potential to be very good?

Actually many people wanted Parker too, he was a very good player for a few seasons. Didn't he win PFA player of the year once?

He did, its amazing how often Spurs players win that despite never winning anything
    Ginola in 1999, Parker and Bale twice (in seasons United won the league)...

He did, its amazing how often Spurs players win that despite never winning anything

Ginola winning that was an absolute farce. Keane deserved it so much more than he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Scott Parker. I remember that. I seem to recall somebody saying we should have got Barton too.

Transfer windows tend to make the most logical person turn into an idiot.

Dangle any new and shiny sh1t covered carrot in front of them and they'll be all "Me wantee now, we haven't got anything new in so long, we need something, anything right now or I'll explode".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I agree.

To me it seemed like Shearer didn't like United or Ferguson, and let his heart rule over his head when it came to the Newcastle decision. He thought he was good enough to be successful despite United. I think Sheringham was similar, as in he didn't love United, but he knew when we came calling that we would bring him all the success he wanted. Teddy was abrasive with a few team-mates and never loved the club I don't think, but he worked hard and was a great footballer, so success was inevitable.

As a result, Sheringham won leagues, FA Cups, and scored in a Champions League Final win. Shearer, although he won the league with Blackburn, went on to win an FA Cup runners up medal, and the prestigious Intertoto Cup, while the club he snubbed won everything in sight.

I agree.

To me it seemed like Shearer didn't like United or Ferguson, and let his heart rule over his head when it came to the Newcastle decision. He thought he was good enough to be successful despite United. I think Sheringham was similar, as in he didn't love United, but he knew when we came calling that we would bring him all the success he wanted. Teddy was abrasive with a few team-mates and never loved the club I don't think, but he worked hard and was a great footballer, so success was inevitable.

As a result, Sheringham won leagues, FA Cups, and scored in a Champions League Final win. Shearer, although he won the league with Blackburn, went on to win an FA Cup runners up medal, and the prestigious Intertoto Cup, while the club he snubbed won everything in sight.

He played with his hometown club, scored bags of goals and was a hero. Hardly something to be mocked.

Tbh, fair play to him.

Transfer windows tend to make the most logical person turn into an idiot.

Dangle any new and shiny sh1t covered carrot in front of them and they'll be all "Me wantee now, we haven't got anything new in so long, we need something, anything right now or I'll explode".

This is especially the case when you have a team like United that is crying out for investment. Any midfielder in better form than our players is all of a sudden good enough.

• Advertisement

Ilkay Gundogan has insisted that he has yet to make a final decision about his future: "I have not made a final decision yet. BVB are the first team I am talking to," he was quoted as saying by Sport Bild. "I will soon make a well-thought decision. But I am keeping my options open at this point. "Borussia Dortmund have not set me an ultimatum. I am just trying to get healthy again and get back to my best form. That's the main priority for BVB and for myself."

http://www.goal.com/en-za/news/4682/transfer-zone/2014/01/15/4545464/

The "I am keeping my options open" part gives me hope, although it gives Madrid fans a lot more hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And he turned us down twice apparently...
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...and thats what he did...

I know a guy that tried to leave the club twice. Now many people think he should be the next team captain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He played with his hometown club, scored bags of goals and was a hero. Hardly something to be mocked.

Tbh, fair play to him.

Don't think the poster was mocking him. Shearer was class but has little to show for it, could have won the lot with United.

I know a guy that tried to leave the club twice. Now many people think he should be the next team captain...

but he came to UTD and played brilliantly for us so its not exactly the same scenario. He is been great for us lately too, things may have gone sour at various points along the way but its not a similar situation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Parker won it with West Ham IIRC and they were relegated too.

• Advertisement

Touche Bucekty...i might have even been one of those people....wait for the whole slew of Rooneyites to get onto you now though saying proof he asked to leave a second time blah blah....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If we had got Scott parker from Charlton, I reckon he would ahve been a great signing, and been a much better player.

Think we would have developed him a lot better than Chelsea did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I hate Alan Shearer. I hate his face. I hate his voice. I hate his analysis. I hate pretty much everything I know about him.

Is it not rumoured he wants to go back to Italy??

Very good chance Veratti and Pogba swap clubs in the summer.

Bild reporting ourselves and Real Madrid have made offers to Gundogan - no surprise on either count there.

Hopefully he picks us, but I won't be holding my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

kryogen wrote: »
    People not checking things out is a pet hate of mine, just believing something without actually looking in to it a bit to see if its true or not. Does my head in, not great for internet message board[/B] :)

Well this thread is called Talk/Gossip/Rumours...looks like its not a good place for you going by what you said above. Maybe look for a forum that only allows people post factual statements?:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

yabadabado wrote: »
    Don't think the poster was mocking him. Shearer was class but has little to show for it, could have won the lot with United.

I think for a player like Shearer it was more than just about winning medals. The fact that he turned down the chance to win all that to play for his boyhood club makes him even more of a legend in my books. 260 premier league goals is remarkable in itself and I don't really think people look back and judge him and think "good player but never won the CL, FA cup, only won 1 league etc etc". Playing for Newcastle was obviously enough for him.

Bild reporting ourselves and Real Madrid have made offers to Gundogan - no surprise on either count there.

Hopefully he picks us, but I won't be holding my breath.

Hopefully this rumour is true!!

He would be ideal for us imo

I hate Alan Shearer. I hate his face. I hate his voice. I hate his analysis. I hate pretty much everything I know about him.

Good, good. That's it, Let the hate flow through you.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Well this thread is called Talk/Gossip/Rumours...looks like its not a good place for you going by what you said above. Maybe look for a forum that only allows people post factual statements?:):)

Yeah, well we'll start our own forum, with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the forum!

• Advertisement

Gündogan to Bild: "I will make a decision soon."

I see the most likely options as

1. He stays at BvB
    2. Joins Madrid for a stack of bills
    3. Joins UTD.

Shinji should be in his ear right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

"don't come here they haven't a fcuking clue how to play good football, I will see you at Dortmund next season"

Yeah, well we'll start our own forum, with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the forum!

Forget the forum and head to Thailand!;)

You miss the point.

It takes about two seconds to check if a story is credible or not. If you are able to type www.boards.ie into your browser I would assume you can also type www.google.ie.

Posting stuff that has already been shown to be false, not rumour, a lie, presenting it as fact and not bothering to check it out, even a little, before hand is stupid really.

"don't come here they haven't a fcuking clue how to play good football, I will see you at Dortmund next season"

And Sahin should say something about Madrid and we all know how it ends. :pac:

1. He stays at BvB
    3. Joins UTD.

Yeah, lying to him about how great it is:)

I always feel bad for Dortmund when other teams buy up all their best players. Having said that, if Gündogan was available, I'd hope Moyes would sign him in a heartbeat! :pac:

1. He stays at BvB
    3. Joins UTD.

Shinji in his ear? - llkay plz come and abduct be!!

Might not be a good idea:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

There is no chance of Gundogan coming here IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    And Sahin should say something about Madrid and we all know how it ends. :pac:

Yeah that's a good point

We should be really telling him we'll match whatever Madrid are offering him, as long as it's not crazy like high 200k.

And then tell him we're aiming to build the team around him, whereas he'll probably be replaced by the next big thing in a year or two at Madrid.

Sad that at Dortmund Kagawa was one of the best players in the Bundesliga, but here he looks like a shadow of his old self. Partly down to being played out of position I know, but I'm unsure if his talents really fit our style

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Veron

Watched a game the other night vs Arsenal when he played, it was all going off at 100 miles an hour around him and Veron was there standing in the middle of the pitch with that languid style of his....he must have been thinking wtf?

Class player in his day, pity it didn't work out....didn't he buy part of his home town club or something like that?

Southampton owner wants to sell the club and executive chairman is also resigning. We should at least try to sign Schneiderlin. Now maybe the best time to get him.

You miss the point.

It takes about two seconds to check if a story is credible or not. If you are able to type www.boards.ie into your browser I would assume you can also type www.google.ie.

Posting stuff that has already been shown to be false, not rumour, a lie, presenting it as fact and not bothering to check it out, even a little, before hand is stupid really.

I didn't present anything as fact, I don't go through this threads pages everyday. A poster asked if their was any transfer rumours i replied with one i had read without saying it as fact because im not foolish enough to believe everything that is reported.
    Read the headline of this thread, now no need to be pedantic.

I didn't present anything as fact, I don't go through this threads pages everyday. A poster asked if their was any transfer rumours i replied with one i had read without saying it as fact because im not foolish enough to believe everything that is reported.
    Read the headline of this thread, now no need to be pedantic.

I never said you did.

• Advertisement

I never said you did.

Fair enough, if i hear a rumour on here i sometimes go look it up myself to see how truthful it is, maybe good practice to do, it doesnt take long to check out im sure you are able to type in www.google.ie and search:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I wonder if Chicho would be included in a deal for Gundogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Southampton owner wants to sell the club and executive chairman is also resigning. We should at least try to sign Schneiderlin. Now maybe the best time to get him.

Is he not more of a holding/defensive midfielder? (i'm open to be corrected here, i know he pops in the odd goal)

IMO we need someone to make things happen and leave the donkey work for Carrick. Shneiderlin and Carrick doesn't float my boat anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Reading there sporting lisbon are favourite to sign nani 4/1 this morning now 9/4 still doesn't mean he will go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hococop wrote: »
    Reading there sporting lisbon are favourite to sign nani 4/1 this morning now 9/4 still doesn't mean he will go

If Nani was to be sold to Sporting I would hope Carvalho would be part of the deal. Highly rated cm .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement