Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I just hope to **** Glazers or whoever have written this season off and told Moyes to look to clean out and strengthen in summer.

I want TOP 4 this season. Anything less is a disaster and its not the United way of just giving up. We never give up. Thats what makes us different to other clubs be it Chelsea or Liverpool.

We never gave. Why should we now?

My worst fear is this is seen as some sort of write off season now. We have always faced difficult challenges, this one is new to many of us.

If you look back at United's league finishes historically the club used to bounce up and down the table with some regularity before SAF came alone. 'The United way' that you're talking about is really just 'the Alex Ferguson way'. We should probably all buckle in and get used to the odd write-off season. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Actually did did anyone see anchelotti's after game interview djd he mention coentrao.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If yis don't mind me saying lads I feel theres some degree of repitition here. Reality is we'll either

a)sign nobody
    b)sign one or two squad players, possibly loan deals

Either way anyone that will massively improve Man Utd will be signed in the Summer.

We can cry about it (I sure do, most of the time in my head, occasionally out loud but usually in the shower), question it to death, say we want top 4 & CL semis, list our fears and express our anger and sarcasm on Moyes, Woodward and co - but the reality is all of us would be extremely shocked if a major signing or two was brought in this window.

I hope we're in for the shock of a lifetime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I wouldnt be so sure, the club is a behemoth in terms of money, which is the most important factor in maintaining a structure for success.

This season has been a test, will probably continue to be one, but as long as we hit top four it will be acceptable. Clearing out some dead wood and bringing in some quality in the summer then becomes easier and hopefully we see a better style of football toward the end of the season but tbh, I would take whatever is needed to get top four this season.

I do not need to be convinced that Moyes can spot a player, or that he can have his teams play good football. I have seen this at Everton, I need to be convinced that Moyes can be himself in this job, that he can inspire both players at the club, and players targetted for transfer to join his cause. He needs to start referring to the team as his team, instead of calling it this club, or manchester united. Take ownership of the players instead of referring to them as "these players" etc. Not sure if Im being clear here, had a couple.

The season has been and is going to be a disappointment now domestically either way barring some sort of divine intevention, but I can accept it if I start to see progress, so far I have seen little tbh, I wont judge the season until its over though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

kryogen wrote: »
    I wont judge the season until its over though.

This. Exactly this. I couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Trilla wrote: »
    If yis don't mind me saying lads I feel theres some degree of repitition here. Reality is we'll either

a)sign nobody
    b)sign one or two squad players, possibly loan deals

Either way anyone that will massively improve Man Utd will be signed in the Summer.

We can cry about it (I sure do, most of the time in my head, occasionally out loud but usually in the shower), question it to death, say we want top 4 & CL semis, list our fears and express our anger and sarcasm on Moyes, Woodward and co - but the reality is all of us would be extremely shocked if a major signing or two was brought in this window.

I hope we're in for the shock of a lifetime!

I dont see any poster saying we will get world class player.

But theyre players out there that can make a difference. Freshen up the team. A LB to replace Evra would be a start if nothing else.

I dont see any poster saying we will get world class player

Which is what we really need though
    But theyre players out there that can make a difference. Freshen up the team. A LB to replace Evra would be a start if nothing else.

True and its good to discuss them, and let people know that the stories/rumours/tweets posted that thats what they are. Hopefully one or two will come in!

My most thanked post on boards

How things have changed!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72154880&postcount=30663

Trilla wrote: »
    Which is what we really need though

True and its good to discuss them, and let people know that the stories/rumours/tweets posted that thats what they are. Hopefully one or two will come in!

Oh I totally agree on first point. But they wont be available till summer. 98% of them play in CL.

But there are players that could make a difference. I know we aint going get huge name but a player with potential would help.

we dont need splash massive cash. Just buy a LB like Shaw or Coentrao would not cost huge sums and CM and then really plan ahead in summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Anyone know a bookies offering odds on Marchiso to join United? Can't seem to find odds anywhere and PP and Ladbrookes won't let me request bets anymore :(

The ducks are quackin'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

So basically you're saying to write this season off completely by buying players with potential? We need to qualify for CL to get the big names in, and to do that we have to change things drastically, which means buying this month, and buying well

Red Crow wrote: »
    Anyone know a bookies offering odds on Marchiso to join United? Can't seem to find odds anywhere and PP and Ladbrookes won't let me request bets anymore :(

The ducks are quackin'

What do you know??:)

We dont actually have to change, drastically, to get top 4 this season. We need to make a slight improvement, one more goal here, one less goal conceded there. It is far from the realms of fantasy to think this squad is good enough to get top 4. Big players coming back, results will hopefully become consistently good from here on in, they are good enough to do it. Its not quite panic stations yet, you have to think things couldnt get any worse this season anyway :) onwards and upwards etc

Dont do it to yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

We dont actually have to change, drastically, to get top 4 this season. We need to make a slight improvement, one more goal here, one less goal conceded there.

Have you been watching the same team as me? A slight improvement just isn't gonna cut it, we've been woeful and it needs a big change IMO.

If we just go for players with potential this window then we can kiss CL goodbye

We dont actually have to change, drastically, to get top 4 this season. We need to make a slight improvement, one more goal here, one less goal conceded there.

Like I said earlier a fit Rooney, RVP, Carrick and Vidic till end of season and I think we will have a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I wouldnt be so sure, the club is a behemoth in terms of money, which is the most important factor in maintaining a structure for success.
    'The United way' that you're talking about is really just 'the Alex Ferguson way'. We should probably all buckle in and get used to the odd write-off season. ;)

These two points are very important. Fergie was the greatest, if anyone thought we could just pick up where we left off and him leaving would have little impact then they were always in for a fright.

Fergie didn't spend City, Chelsea or Madrid levels off money, actually his overall figure in terms of outgoing spend balanced with intake regarding transfers alone was very impressive. It must have been one of the main attractions for the Glazers. 12% of net revenue was spent on players in the 8 years before they came, 6% since.

I don't expect Moyes to get near Fergies level in many areas and for us to dominate the EPL anymore as we have under Fergie.

I think we must have start spending a lot bigger, 100m windows and players in almost every window like the other big hitters. Whether the Glazers are prepared to do that remains to be seen.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Have you been watching the same team as me? A slight improvement just isn't gonna cut it, we've been woeful and it needs a big change IMO.

If we just go for players with potential this window then we can kiss CL goodbye

Yep, the team is not playing much worse then it was last year if you are honest with yourself, we are missing RVP this year big time, his goals bailed us out plenty of times last year and the defence was unreal in the second part of the season.

Performances have been **** for about 3 years now, results are all that matters right now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Nothing for January I'm afraid ;)

• Advertisement

Nothing for January I'm afraid ;)

I'll bookmark this for summer so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

The ducks are quackin'

He seems like he could do with some weight training.

We dont actually have to change, drastically, to get top 4 this season. We need to make a slight improvement, one more goal here, one less goal conceded there. It is far from the realms of fantasy to think this squad is good enough to get top 4. Big players coming back, results will hopefully become consistently good from here on in, they are good enough to do it. Its not quite panic stations yet, you have to think things couldnt get any worse this season anyway :) onwards and upwards etc

United improving won't be enough to get top 4; they also need Spurs, Everton and Liverpool most of all, to stumble.

Yep, and you can bet your house that at some point, Liverpool and Everton will, I just dont view Spurs as a threat tbh

Could be wrong, but I dont think Sherwood has the tactical nous to negotiate the fixtures when the pressure comes on down the stretch, its all easy for him now, nobody expects anything of him.

Its not like a big stumble is needed, we beat Pool at home, we will finish ahead of them. They wont be taking maximum points from the rest of their fixtures, Everton neither.

Week|Arsenal|Man. City|Chelsea|Liverpool|Everton|Spurs|Man. Utd.|Newcastle
    | | | | | | | |
    LC| |(H) West Ham| | | | |(A) Sunderland|
    21|(A) Villa|(A) Newcastle|(A) Hull|(A)Stoke|(H) Norwich|(H) Palace|(H) Swansea|(H) Man. City
    22|(H) Fulham|(H) Cardiff|(H) Man. Utd.|(H) Villa|(A) West Brom|(A) Swansea|(A) Chelsea|(A) West Ham
    LC| |(A) West Ham| | | | |(H) Sunderland|
    23|(A) Southampton|(A) Spurs|(H) West Ham|(H) Everton|(A) Liverpool|(H) Man. City|(H) Cardiff|(A) Norwich
    | | | | | | | |
    24|(H) Palace|(H) Chelsea|(A) Man. City|(A) West Brom|(H) Villa|(A) Hull|(A) Stoke|(H) Sunderland
    25|(A) Liverpool|(A) Norwich|(H) Newcastle|(H) Arsenal|(A) Spurs|(H) Everton|(H) Fulham|(A) Chelsea
    26|(H) Man. Utd.|(H) Sunderland|(A) West Brom|(A) Fulham|(H) Palace|(A) Newcastle|(A) Arsenal|(H) Spurs
    CL/EL|(H) Munich|(H) Barca| | | |(A) Dnipro| |
    27|(H) Sunderland|(H) Stoke|(H) Everton|(H) Swansea|(A) Chelsea|(A) Norwich|(A) Palace|(H) Villa
    CL/EL| | |(A) Galatasary| | |(H) Dnipro|(A) Olympiakos|
    | | | | | | | |
    28|(A) Stoke|(A) Man. Utd.|(A) Fulham|(A) Southampton|(H) West Ham|(H) Cardiff|(H) Man. City|(A) Hull
    29|(H) Swansea|(H) Villa|(H) Spurs|(H) Sunderland|(A) Newcastle|(A) Chelsea|(A) West Brom|(H) Everton
    CL|(A) Munich|(A) Barca| | | | | |
    30|(A) Spurs|(A) Hull|(A) Villa|(A) Man. Utd.|(H) Cardiff|(H) Arsenal|(H) Liverpool|(A) Fulham
    CL| | |(H) Galatasary| | | |(H) Olympiakos|
    31|(A) Chelsea|(H) Fulham|(H) Arsenal|(A) Cardiff|(H) Swansea|(H) Southampton|(A) West Ham|(H) Palace
    32|(H) Man. City|(A) Arsenal|(A) Palace|(H) Spurs|(A) Fulham|(A) Liverpool|(H) Villa|(A) Southampton
    | | | | | | | |
    33|(A) Everton|(H) Southampton|(H) Stoke|(A) West Ham|(H) Arsenal|(H) Sunderland|(A) Newcastle|(H) Man. Utd.
    34|(H) West Ham|(A) Liverpool|(A) Swansea|(H) Man. City|(A) Sunderland|(A) West Brom|(H) Hull|(A) Stoke
    35|(A) Hull|(H) West Brom|(H) Sunderland|(A) Norwich|(H) Man. Utd.|(H) Fulham|(A) Everton|(H) Swansea
    36|(H) Newcastle|(A) Palace|(A) Liverpool|(H) Chelsea|(A) Southampton|(A) Stoke|(H) Norwich|(A) Arsenal
    | | | | | | | |
    37|(H) West Brom|(A) Everton|(H) Norwich|(A) Palace|(H) Man. City|(A) West Ham|(H) Sunderland|(H) Cardiff
    38|(A) Norwich|(H) West Ham|(A) Cardiff|(H) Newcastle|(A) Hull|(H) Villa|(A) Southampton|(A) Liverpool

Liverpool have to play all the top 8, all at home, except for the United game.

Everton have United, Arsenal and City at home in their final 6 games.

If United do well against Chelsea away this weekend, and Arsenal away in February, they should be in much better shape for City and Liverpool at home in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I was looking at the fixtures earlier and think it is absolutely imperitive that we take 12 points in between the Chelsea and Arsenal games. What will happen in those two games I don't know, I'm a bit nervous, but 12 points between them will keep us on pace.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I was looking at the fixtures earlier and think it is absolutely imperitive that we take 12 points in between the Chelsea and Arsenal games. What will happen in those two games I don't know, I'm a bit nervous, but 12 points between them will keep us on pace.

Thought the exact same. If we are going to lose Sunday then 12 points before Arsenal is a most.

I think if we want to get top 4 we will have to get a result against either Chelsea or Arsenal. Maybe have to beat 1 of them. The latter maybe the best chance.

if we are within 3-4 points going into last 8 games I think we will get Top 4. Otherwise I think it bye bye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

There are rumors that Spurs are looking to sell Capoue and price might be within 10 million. We should at least try to sign him whether they sell to 4th place rivals or not is another question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Cant see UTD getting anything from this weekend, especially if reports are true and Rooney/RVP are out.

Danny can handle Real Madrid; Chelsea won't be a bother for him! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Biggest worry about the Chelsea game assuming we play the best team available would be Kagawa's defensive work rate.

The front 4 that finished the Swansea game should be able to give any team some hassle.

Things are nicely poised for Moyes's underachievers missing their two best players to end Mourinho's home record. Expecting a good performance we really have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

beno619 wrote: »
    Biggest worry about the Chelsea game assuming we play the best team available would be Kagawa's defensive work rate.

The front 4 that finished the Swansea game should be able to give any team some hassle.

Things are nicely poised for Moyes's underachievers missing their two best players to end Mourinho's home record. Expecting a good performance we really have nothing to lose.
    Kagawa wouldn't track as well as Rooney, but his work in closing down opposition defenders is very good, a key trait of his (and Dortmunds) play before he signed for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Thought the exact same. If we are going to lose Sunday then 12 points before Arsenal is a most.

Dont you only have 3 games between Arsenal and Chelsea though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

xabi wrote: »
    Dont you only have 3 games between Arsenal and Chelsea though?

Yep, last time I checked you didn't get points for winning games in the capital one cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Kagawa wouldn't track as well as Rooney, but his work in closing down opposition defenders is very good, a key trait of his (and Dortmunds) play before he signed for us.

Hopefully he can get a decent run in the side and we really see what he's capable of.

If Rooney and RVP are out of the Chelsea game, we have to go with the same side that we had vs Sunderland, with Kagawa central and Januzaj on the wing, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

If Rooney and RVP are out of the Chelsea game, we have to go with the same side that we had vs Sunderland, with Kagawa central and Januzaj on the wing, imo.

In fairness, I think he will. Of all the different personnel we've tried out this season (in and out of favoured positions) I think that lineup (going forward at least) was one of the most impressive ones this season, not that that would be hard. Can't see any logical reason why he wouldn't go with it again...

...which obviously means Chico up front and danny on the wing :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Chelsea + Chico = Win?

Admittedly I haven't double checked my maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't actually agree about the fixtures to be honest, about saying we need to pick up certain points in certain places etc etc. If the squad remains the same past this transfer window then I don't think we are finishing top 4, regardless of what the fixtures are for us or for any of our rivals.

I just can't see that this squad which has been uniformly dire all season is suddenly about to start producing top four performances. If you think then it is then you are basing that on blind faith, because the evidence of the season so far says differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anyone like myself who actually thinks we might be in with a shout against Chelsea? Jose will probably play somewhat defensive and we basically have nothing to loose anymore. I'll think we could sneak 2-1 and take that little record away from the bridge :) ... It would be mightily sweet .

I don't actually agree about the fixtures to be honest, about saying we need to pick up certain points in certain places etc etc. If the squad remains the same past this transfer window then I don't think we are finishing top 4, regardless of what the fixtures are for us or for any of our rivals.

I just can't see that this squad which has been uniformly dire all season is suddenly about to start producing top four performances. If you think then it is then you are basing that on blind faith, because the evidence of the season so far says differently.

agreed - have said for a while that if we don't add to the squad in January, in a couple of key positions, we are going to finish 6th. It doesn't look like United have an intention to do anything, so I can't see a change in our fortunes.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Anyone like myself who actually thinks we might be in with a shout against Chelsea? Jose will probably play somewhat defensive and we basically have nothing to loose anymore. I'll think we could sneak 2-1 and take that little record away from the bridge :) ... It would be mightily sweet .

Nope - I think Jose will play to win, and win well, because we have very little to frighten them with.

• Advertisement

Nope - I think Jose will play to win, and win well, because we have very little to frighten them with.
    Catch them on the counter so :) ... I think an Arsenal type of performance is possible.... The pressure will be on Chelsea to come forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We havent played defensively at home, if it was at Old trafford I'd expect a 4-3-3 and to be compact and try hit on the break, at home we'll go for the win so it'll certainly be an entertaining game, I'm worried enough about the game TBH, after all it is Utd we're playing and if any team is going to rock up and beat us I'd expect it to be Utd.

Looking forward to it but I'd be surprised if we didnt go an attacking 4-2-3-1 and try to get up by 2 goals before Jose reigns it in a little bit.

Catch them on the counter so :) ... I think an Arsenal type of performance is possible.... The pressure will be on Chelsea to come forward.

We will need an Arsenal type performance from Chelsea to have a hope - Arsenal were rubbish against us.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We havent played defensively at home, if it was at Old trafford I'd expect a 4-3-3 and to be compact and try hit on the break, at home we'll go for the win so it'll certainly be an entertaining game, I'm worried enough about the game TBH, after all it is Utd we're playing and if any team is going to rock up and beat us I'd expect it to be Utd.

Looking forward to it but I'd be surprised if we didnt go an attacking 4-2-3-1 and try to get up by 2 goals before Jose reigns it in a little bit.
    Could be a great game alright, what I'm actually hoping for is a compact, dreary 60-70 minutes and when Chelsea push forward looking for the win we could create a bit of magic ... A win for United would be an exceptional result, the shear power and skill of the Chelsea midfield is worrying but if there is a team to frustrate and nick a goal in the last few seconds it's United :)

Not simply blind faith, my opinion that we have enough to finish top four is based on the evidence that the players in this squad are more then capable of getting top four results, which they did last year for example.

This year there has been less margin for error due to the consistency of the teams around us and we have to step it up a level to firmly take control of a champions league spot.

To have performed as badly, and dropped points in the matches we have dropped them in and still be 5 points off 4th with most of the teams to play again isnt all that bad.

We will need to beat whats around us to get there, we have to beat Liverpool I feel, beat Everton, beat Spurs, big asks? maybe, but not as big as needing to beat City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Ultimately, bad as they have been the opportunity is still there, and if they are good enough they will finish top four. I believe they are, I dont think United regressed so much in 6 months and Liverpool/Everton or Spurs improved so significantly to have me think otherwise.

I think signings are needed, I think a signing will be made this window, but even if there is nobody coming in its going to be one hell of a second half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Could be a great game alright, what I'm actually hoping for is a compact, dreary 60-70 minutes and when Chelsea push forward looking for the win we could create a bit of magic ... A win for United would be an exceptional result, the shear power and skill of the Chelsea midfield is worrying but if there is a team to frustrate and nick a goal in the last few seconds it's United :)

Both teams arguably need to win this game, Utd to carry on there push up towards a top 4 and beyond finsih amd Chelsea to keep in touch with City & Arsenal as well as keeping Liverpool just out sight.

I dont think it'll be like the game at Old Trafford anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We will need an Arsenal type performance from Chelsea to have a hope - Arsenal were rubbish against us.

Yeah, I wondered about that. Are people already revising history to say we played well against Arsenal? Sure we won the match but we played rubbish that day, and were blessed that Arsenal didn't turn up at all.

An Arsenal type performance against Chelsea will see us lose the game.

Yes they weren't at their best but it was still an excellent United performance and result ... have no doubt that Jose is planning for and expecting a very tough match - even with all our problems.

Yes they weren't at their best but it was still an excellent United performance and result ... have no doubt that Jose is planning for and expecting a very tough match - even with all our problems.

We created nothing that day - the goal we got was a half chance. Arsenal had better chances than we did.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Both teams arguably need to win this game, Utd to carry on there push up towards a top 4 and beyond finsih amd Chelsea to keep in touch with City & Arsenal as well as keeping Liverpool just out sight.

I dont think it'll be like the game at Old Trafford anyway.
    To be honest mate I think we might need the win a bit more ... :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement