Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We will need an Arsenal type performance from Chelsea to have a hope - Arsenal were rubbish against us.

We've started sh*te in a lot of games this season and a couple of times we've being 1-0 down in the opening few minutes, if Utd want to win this game or get a result, a very quick start is needed by Utd, we've being slugish early in games so that could be our achilles heel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

We created nothing that day - the goal we got was a half chance. Arsenal had better chances than we did.
    Half chance ?? How was that the case? ... Well to keep that Arsenal midfield quiet for 90 odd minutes was an achievement in itself when subsequent results are looked upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I just can't see that this squad which has been uniformly dire all season is suddenly about to start producing top four performances. If you think then it is then you are basing that on blind faith, because the evidence of the season so far says differently.

If we see a similar side to the one that finished the Swansea game I would be confident about finishing in the top 4. Again this was a ttile winning squad.

Most of our problems in the first half of the season were due to very questionable formation and player selections from the manager imo.

I hoping Moyes has finally copped onto the best way to play without RVP and or Rooney, Shinji has to play in the hole.

irishfeen wrote: »
    To be honest mate I think we might need the win a bit more ... :)

ok so, have the 3 points so :pac:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We've started sh*te in a lot of games this season and a couple of times we've being 1-0 down in the opening few minutes, if Utd want to win this game or get a result, a very quick start is needed by Utd, we've being slugish early in games so that could be our achilles heel.
    Even with the sluggish start say against Liverpool they still recovered well ... That United "never say never" attitude that now Chelsea have is worrying in terms of getting a result ... I think keeping them scoreless until 70 min +, then sneak a goal is the best way to beat them ... After which they push forward and then counter like a motherfcuker at every opportunity .

• Advertisement

ok so, have the 3 points so :pac:
    I'd prefer to win them fair and square and take that little record away from the bridge :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

So they are going to make a film about Roy Keane

http://balls.ie/football/theyre-making-a-roy-keane-film/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Half chance ?? How was that the case? ... Well to keep that Arsenal midfield quiet for 90 odd minutes was an achievement in itself when subsequent results are looked upon.

Mid range header from a corner - if he had missed it would you have thought "Feck sake Robin, you've got to score that!". I doubt it, and on that criteria, it is a half chance imo. A 'Full' chance, imo, is one you expect the player to score from.

Mid range header from a corner - if he had missed it would you have thought "Feck sake Robin, you've got to score that!". I doubt it, and on that criteria, it is a half chance imo. A 'Full' chance, imo, is one you expect the player to score from.
    Jaysus you have a very technical summary of chances ... It was a great goal from a great player.

Even with the sluggish start say against Liverpool they still recovered well ... That United "never say never" attitude that now Chelsea have is worrying in terms of getting a result ... I think keeping them scoreless until 70 min +, then sneak a goal is the best way to beat them ... After which they push forward and then counter like a motherfcuker at every opportunity .

It'll be very hard to keep us scoreless at home anyway, off the top of my head i can count 4 away games we didnt score in, Utd, Arsenal, Everton & Newcastle, we drew 2 of the 1st and lost the latter.

Any one wanna speculate at a Utd line up?

I think I can predict the Chelsea one but I've question marks at over Cahill or Luiz and Matic or Mikel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

One does not simply start Chico against Chelsea

One must put Chico on with 20 minutes to go and let him work his magic

12 apps(6 sub) 7 goals + 1 assist

It'll be very hard to keep us scoreless at home anyway, off the top of my head i can count 4 away games we didnt score in, Utd, Arsenal, Everton & Newcastle, we drew 2 of the 1st and lost the latter.

Any one wanna speculate at a Utd line up?

I think I can predict the Chelsea one but I've question marks at over Cahill or Luiz and Matic or Mikel.

DDG
    Rafael--Evans--Vidic---Evra
    Carrick---Fletcher
    Valencia---Kagawa--Januzaj
    Welbeck

With Rooney, RVP, Jones, Nani, Young all injured, I don't see many other options. Centre backs might be changed though, Smalling in for one of them maybe.

DDG
    Carrick---Fletcher
    Welbeck

With Rooney, RVP, Jones, Nani, Young all injured, I don't see many other options. Centre backs might be changed though, Smalling in for one of them maybe.

I was thinking that team but with Smalling for Vidic, but mainly because I had forgotten about Vidic. :o

I'd like to see

Cech
    Azp Luiz JT Cole
    Ramires Matic
    Willian Oscar Hazard
    Torres

But it could easily be Cahill for Luiz and Mikel for Matic.

I was thinking that team but with Smalling for Vidic, but mainly because I had forgotten about Vidic. :o

I'd like to see

Cech
    Azp Luiz JT Cole
    Ramires Matic
    Willian Oscar Hazard
    Torres

Personally I would hope it is Luiz and Mikel that start. Luiz is a great attacking threat, but I would see Cahill as more solid - think we could get at Luiz better - then I rate Matic a lot higher than Mikel, so hope it is Mikel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I'd like to see

Cech
    Azp Luiz JT Cole
    Ramires Matic
    Willian Oscar Hazard
    Torres

No Mata??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Valencia want Nani as their top transfer target according to the Metro.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/16/valencia-could-sign-luis-nani-from-manchester-united-within-days-4265099/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Have we only won twice at Stamford bridge since 2002?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

DDG
    Carrick---Fletcher
    Welbeck

That left side is so weak... Buy i think this will be the team as well. Unless Smalling for Evans again.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    No Mata??

Nah, that supporting 3 work their bo**ocks off when we dont have the ball so unless Oscar is injured I cant see Mata starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

G. Neville had a good point on MNF about Januzaj playing up against a strong RB in Ivanovich, and how, with Ivonovich bombing forward, he'll over-power Januzaj who lets face it, has flair and skill, but looks like a stick (See DDG in his first season)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Are people already revising history to say we played well against Arsenal?
    it was still an excellent United performance

No, it really wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

RasTa wrote: »
    Have we only won twice at Stamford bridge since 2002?

I think last season was Uniteds first win there in the league since 02, and the other was a Champions League 1/4 final.

lordgoat wrote: »
    That left side is so weak... Buy i think this will be the team as well. Unless Smalling for Evans again.

Yep - which is why we should be getting, at least, a left back in January.... but no...

MagicIRL wrote: »
    G. Neville had a good point on MNF about Januzaj playing up against a strong RB in Ivanovich, and how, with Ivonovich bombing forward, he'll over-power Januzaj who lets face it, has flair and skill, but looks like a stick (See DDG in his first season)

What is the other option though?

Play Kagawa there? Same problem.
    Play Welbeck there? Maybe, then start Chico and no striking option on the bench.
    Nani and Young are both injured.

No, it really wasn't.
    Compared with subsequent performances it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

TRANSFER NEWS:
    ARSENAL
    In (signed): None
    Out (signed): Chuba Akpom (Brentford, loan); Damian Martinez (Sheffield Weds, loan)

ASTON VILLA
    In (signed): Grant Holt (Wigan, loan)
    Out (signed): Stephen Ireland (Aston Villa, undisclosed)

CARDIFF CITY
    In (signed): Mats Moller Daehli (Molde, undisclosed); Magnus Wolff Eikrem (Heerenveen, undisclosed)
    Out (signed): Rudy Gestede (Blackburn, undisclosed); Filip Kiss (Ross County, loan)

CHELSEA
    In (signed): Nemanja Matic (Benfica, £21m); Bertrand Traore (Association Jeunes Espoirs De Bobo, free)
    Out (signed): Bertrand Traore (Vitesse Arnhem, loan); Patrick Bamford (Derby, loan); Kenneth Omeruo (Middlesbrough, loan)

CRYSTAL PALACE
    Out (signed): Jason Banton (Plymouth, undisclosed); Jimmy Kebe (Leeds, loan); Kevin Phillips (released)

EVERTON
    In (signed): Aiden McGeady (Spartak Moscow, undisclosed)
    Out (signed): Nikica Jelavic (Hull City, £6.5m); Tylas Browning (Wigan, loan); Shane Duffy (Yeovil, loan)

FULHAM
    In (signed): Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders, loan)
    Out (signed): Bryan Ruiz (PSV Eindhoven, loan)

HULL CITY
    In (signed): Nikica Jelavic (Everton, £6.5m)
    Out (signed): Tom Cairney (Blackburn, undisclosed); Cameron Stewart (Leeds, undisclosed); Conor Townsend (Carlisle, loan)

LIVERPOOL
    Out (signed): Ryan McLaughlin (Barnsley, loan); Adam Morgan (Yeovil, undisclosed); Conor Coady (Sheffield Utd, loan)

MANCHESTER CITY
    Out (signed): John Guidetti (Stoke City, loan)

MANCHESTER UNITED
    Out (signed): None

NEWCASTLE UNITED
    Out (signed): Jonas Gutierrez (Norwich City, loan)

NORWICH CITY
    In (signed): Jonas Gutierrez (Newcastle, loan)

SOUTHAMPTON
    Out (signed): Tadanari Lee (released)

STOKE CITY
    In (signed): Stephen Ireland (Aston Villa, undisclosed); John Guidetti (Manchester City, loan)
    Out (signed): Brek Shea (Barnsley, loan)

SUNDERLAND
    In (signed): Marcos Alonso (Fiorentina, loan)
    Out (signed): Mikael Mandron (Fleetwood, loan); Cabral (Genoa, loan)

SWANSEA CITY
    Out (signed): Alan Tate (Aberdeen, loan)

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR
    Out (signed): Simon Dawkins (Derby, undisclosed); Shaquile Coulthirst (Leyton Orient, loan); Jonathan Obika (Brighton, loan); Jermain Defoe (Toronto, undisclosed)

WEST BROMWICH ALBION
    Out (signed): Lee Camp (Bournemouth, free)

WEST HAM UNITED
    In (signed): Carlton Cole (re-signed, free); Roger Johnson (Wolves, loan); Jaanai Gordon (Peterborough, undisclosed)
    Out (signed): Mladen Petric (released)

A total fuking joke. Not only can we get nobody in are you trying to tell me we have no players that could do with going out on loan?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Rooney returned from Egypt yesterday, I'd expect to at least see him in the bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

MrMac84 wrote: »
    No Mata??

Of course not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

racso1975 wrote: »
    A total fuking joke. Not only can we get nobody in are you trying to tell me we have no players that could do with going out on loan?????

we already have a good few out on loan and loans to lower leagues have a later deadline than the end of the month. i'd be fully sure by the end of the window zaha will be out on loan and maybe lingard to a PL team both having a good remainder of the season playing regularly in the PL would set them up nicely for fitting into the squad next year. and likely keane will go on another loan along with a couple of others. i would not be as sure of the ins changing though :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

racso1975 wrote: »
    TRANSFER NEWS:
    ARSENAL
    Out (signed): Chuba Akpom (Brentford, loan); Damian Martinez (Sheffield Weds, loan)

ASTON VILLA
    In (signed): Grant Holt (Wigan, loan)
    Out (signed): Stephen Ireland (Aston Villa, undisclosed)

CARDIFF CITY
    In (signed): Mats Moller Daehli (Molde, undisclosed); Magnus Wolff Eikrem (Heerenveen, undisclosed)
    Out (signed): Rudy Gestede (Blackburn, undisclosed); Filip Kiss (Ross County, loan)

CHELSEA
    In (signed): Nemanja Matic (Benfica, £21m); Bertrand Traore (Association Jeunes Espoirs De Bobo, free)
    Out (signed): Bertrand Traore (Vitesse Arnhem, loan); Patrick Bamford (Derby, loan); Kenneth Omeruo (Middlesbrough, loan)

CRYSTAL PALACE
    Out (signed): Jason Banton (Plymouth, undisclosed); Jimmy Kebe (Leeds, loan); Kevin Phillips (released)

EVERTON
    In (signed): Aiden McGeady (Spartak Moscow, undisclosed)
    Out (signed): Nikica Jelavic (Hull City, £6.5m); Tylas Browning (Wigan, loan); Shane Duffy (Yeovil, loan)

FULHAM
    In (signed): Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders, loan)
    Out (signed): Bryan Ruiz (PSV Eindhoven, loan)

HULL CITY
    In (signed): Nikica Jelavic (Everton, £6.5m)
    Out (signed): Tom Cairney (Blackburn, undisclosed); Cameron Stewart (Leeds, undisclosed); Conor Townsend (Carlisle, loan)

LIVERPOOL
    Out (signed): Ryan McLaughlin (Barnsley, loan); Adam Morgan (Yeovil, undisclosed); Conor Coady (Sheffield Utd, loan)

MANCHESTER CITY
    Out (signed): John Guidetti (Stoke City, loan)

MANCHESTER UNITED

NEWCASTLE UNITED
    Out (signed): Jonas Gutierrez (Norwich City, loan)

NORWICH CITY
    In (signed): Jonas Gutierrez (Newcastle, loan)

SOUTHAMPTON
    Out (signed): Tadanari Lee (released)

STOKE CITY
    In (signed): Stephen Ireland (Aston Villa, undisclosed); John Guidetti (Manchester City, loan)
    Out (signed): Brek Shea (Barnsley, loan)

SUNDERLAND
    In (signed): Marcos Alonso (Fiorentina, loan)
    Out (signed): Mikael Mandron (Fleetwood, loan); Cabral (Genoa, loan)

SWANSEA CITY
    Out (signed): Alan Tate (Aberdeen, loan)

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR
    Out (signed): Simon Dawkins (Derby, undisclosed); Shaquile Coulthirst (Leyton Orient, loan); Jonathan Obika (Brighton, loan); Jermain Defoe (Toronto, undisclosed)

WEST BROMWICH ALBION
    Out (signed): Lee Camp (Bournemouth, free)

WEST HAM UNITED
    In (signed): Carlton Cole (re-signed, free); Roger Johnson (Wolves, loan); Jaanai Gordon (Peterborough, undisclosed)
    Out (signed): Mladen Petric (released)

There already is players out on loan. I can understand people getting their knickers in a twist about nobody coming in but this is a new one for me :confused:

Zaha will more than likely end up on loan anyway.

There already is players out on loan. I can understand people getting their knickers in a twist about nobody coming in but this is a new one for me :confused:

Agreed - without anyone coming in, I don't see how we can let any go.

Candidates would be Buttner and Fabio but then we'd be fecked at full back.

Anderson looks to be off which is another player gone from central midfield (though not used).

Talk that we may be thinking of moving Nani on (which would be crazy imo).

MagicIRL wrote: »

Ivanovic is injured, he wont be playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Agreed - without anyone coming in, I don't see how we can let any go.

Candidates would be Buttner and Fabio but then we'd be fecked at full back.

Anderson looks to be off which is another player gone from central midfield (though not used).

Talk that we may be thinking of moving Nani on (which would be crazy imo).
    Moyes could actually weaken the squad this window lol oh it just gets better and better.. no way can nani go if we sign nobody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

My usual pre-match positivity has deserted me. I really can't see United getting anything from Chelsea. I can see it being a laboured and uninteresting match, with Chelsea to ultimately win it. If I was prepared to bet against United (I'm not) I'd go for Chelsea by one goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Zaha will more than likely end up on loan anyway.

Weren't all players that were out on loan called back?

• Advertisement

Weren't all players that were out on loan called back?

Will Keane, Macheda and Lingard were.

Lawrence, Michael Keane, Powell and Tunnicliffe are still on loan I believe. Not sure if there are others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Players currently out on loan. From here.

Petrucci at Antwerp - (Back)
    Tom Lawrence at Carlisle
    Michael Keane at Derby
    Nick Powell at Wigan
    Henriquez at Real Zaragoza
    Bebe at Pacos Ferreira
    Tunnicliffe at Ipswich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

When you read all the players linked to utd, and put them in a list , you would imagine it won't be hard to improve our center mid, there must be 15 players linked to us in jan, some serious scouting going on, I'd be really hopeful of getting one decent player in soon, if Rooney , van persie, nani and Fellaini and jones stay fit, we won't be in to bad of shape, them last 7 games utd have could be crucial and there all winnable if the team hits a bit of form,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Fiorentina announce they have signed Matri on loan from AC...patiently awaiting confirmation of their 'coup' of a certain Brazilian.

Things on our side are looking quite bleak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I thought Petrucci was back from loan?

EDIT: He is. He played against Southampton during the week

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I thought Petrucci was back from loan?

EDIT: He is. He played against Southampton during the week

Editededed my post...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is better Moyes signs nobody if he can't get the player(s) he wants now, when it will be easier to get players in the summer.

No point signing players for the sake of signing players and then being stuck with them. Moyes has said players like Powell will be recalled if unable to get the players he wants.

If Moyes wants players like Vidal, Pogba, Koke and it in the summer he can only get them, then why waste money now? If he is getting the work done to get in the players in the summer then I will be happy.
    That said a loan deal till summer for some players would be fine, once we haven't to keep players we don't want longer term.

Getting 4th in the PL has to be the number one priority, CL win which won't happen...getting into the CL next season is all the fans want at this stage.

edit to fix two missing key words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Fiorentina announce they have signed Matri on loan from AC...patiently awaiting confirmation of their 'coup' of a certain Brazilian.

Things on our side are looking quite bleak.

Everton ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I dont mind waiting for those players if we know they are coming.

But i worry we dont get them now OR in the summer.

I also would prefer we bring in future squad players now, improve the first team now, and have our squad sorted before we go after top top players in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I also would prefer we bring in future squad players now, improve the first team now, and have our squad sorted before we go after top top players in the summer.

Given the turmoil in the Southampton board room, maybe Lallana will be signed.

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is better Moyes signs nobody if he can't get the player(s) he wants now, when it will be easier to get players in the summer.

No point signing players for the sake of signing players and then being stuck with them. Moyes has said players like Powell will be recalled if unable to get the players he wants.

If Moyes wants players like Vidal, Pogba, Koke and it in the summer he can only get them, then why waste money now? If he is getting the work done to get in the players in the summer then I will be happy.
    That said a loan deal till summer for some players would be fine, once we haven't to keep players we don't want longer term.

Getting 4th in the PL has to be the number one priority, CL win which won't happen...getting into the CL next season is all the fans want at this stage.

edit to fix two missing key words.

How will it be easier to get players in the summer? During World Cup year - which always makes things a bit difficult, on the back of (possibly) a season of failure and no CL to offer?

Doing nothing now means getting 4th is going to be very hard based on the evidence of what Moyes is currently getting from the current squad.

Agreed, but in the event the bolded part does happen, can you imagine the ****storm that would ensue in here.
    People going mental that these players aren't good enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We dont get the players, less of a chance going of getting a CL spot.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Agreed, but in the event the bolded part does happen, can you imagine the ****storm that would ensue in here.
    People going mental that these players aren't good enough...

Indeed - but what has that got to do with it? Moyes shouldn't be working to what the United fans might think of him short term, never mind what we moan about on Boards.ie.

Indeed - but what has that got to do with it? Moyes shouldn't be working to what the United fans might think of him short term, never mind what we moan about on Boards.ie.

Nothing at all. It was more of an observation of what would happen here. Nothing more, and certainly not my opinion of what the manager should or shouldn't be working towards. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement