Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Will Keane, Macheda and Lingard were.

Lawrence, Michael Keane, Powell and Tunnicliffe are still on loan I believe. Not sure if there are others.

It baffles me that he hasn't called back Powell and Tunni who can both play in the middle - our weakest area and have both been playing great football while on loan.

Kiko and Keane won't get near the squad and Lingard is off it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://instagram.com/p/jMTDXYIHm_#

Not too many have Irwin tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Marouane Fellaini has returned to first-team training at Carrington after recovering from surgery to repair a damaged wrist

https://twitter.com/RedMancunian/status/423784525391347713

Fletch and Fellaini would be an interesting combo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Good news, with a bit of injury(less) luck in the new year we could look a lot better. I still think Fellaini will prove to be a decent, albiet a little expensive, signing.

Be no harm trying,can't be any worse than our other midfield combo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Could possibly see Fellaini behind striker, which would mean dropping Kagawa/Januzaj

Something like:
    Fletcher Carrick
    Valencia Fellaini Jan/Kag
    Welbeck

Would provide more defensive work. Could well happen

magnumbud wrote: »
    saying someone has used too much fake tan?

That's her natural colour,it's Kate Abdo who was previously an anchor in Germany on Sky Sport News, as well as channel Deutsche Well TV, CNN and Sky Deutschland.

article-0-1AB3FF3E00000578-790_634x453.jpg

article-0-1AB3FFE400000578-188_634x908.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I expect to see Wellbeck on the left with Kagawa benched. I really hope Rooney is back because we are going to need 2 or 3 goals to get something from the game because Chelsea will have a field day with Evra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Any idea why we are linked with Mannonne of Sunderland. I'd have thougjt a GK was well down our shopping list atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

zerks wrote: »
    That's her natural colour,it's Kate Sagbo who was previously an anchor in Germany on Sky Sport News, as well as channel Deutsche Well TV, CNN and Sky Deutschland.

*googles Kate Sagbo
    PANews_N0011421374484924086A_I1.jpg
    Disappoint.

Try Kate Abdo.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Any idea why we are linked with Mannonne of Sunderland. I'd have thougjt a GK was well down our shopping list atm

Back up to replace Lindegaard when he leaves in the summer/this month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

zerks wrote: »
    That's her natural colour,it's Kate Abdo who was previously an anchor in Germany on Sky Sport News, as well as channel Deutsche Well TV, CNN and Sky Deutschland.

article-0-1AB3FF3E00000578-790_634x453.jpg

article-0-1AB3FFE400000578-188_634x908.jpg

Can you show me a pic of her full body? still not convinced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Julez wrote: »
    Good news, with a bit of injury(less) luck in the new year we could look a lot better. I still think Fellaini will prove to be a decent, albiet a little expensive, signing.

Agreed. Good news. More experienced players back the better at this stage. Overpriced yes (He's a 20m max player) but better player than some of the barstoolers and moaners proclaim him be.

kryogen wrote: »
    Back up to replace Lindegaard when he leaves in the summer/this month

It's a horrible position to be in to be a second choice keeper. Lindegaard is a very capable keeper, but has no hope of dislodging de Gea from the first team.

It must be extremely difficult to train as hard as you can, to be that dedicated, knowing that you might only play a handful of games in a season.

Add to that when you do get a chance, it's likely to be in a weakened team, which in turn means that you, as a keeper, are going to be under increased pressure to perform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Trilla wrote: »
    Agreed. Good news. More experienced players back the better at this stage. Overpriced yes (He's a 20m max player) but better player than some of the barstoolers and moaners proclaim him be.

Well, he has done himself no favours with those so far - he has been generally very poor for us. I maintain that is down to him playing poorly rather than being a poor player, but his performances haven't been up to scratch - to the point he was a sub in a good number of games before he went for surgery.

Obviously, or hopefully, his performances and benching were down to the injuries, and we will see the 'real' Fellaini soon enough.

• Advertisement

Al Capwned wrote: »
    It's a horrible position to be in to be a second choice keeper. Lindegaard is a very capable keeper, but has no hope of dislodging de Gea from the first team.

It must be extremely difficult to train as hard as you can, to be that dedicated, knowing that you might only play a handful of games in a season.

Add to that when you do get a chance, it's likely to be in a weakened team, which in turn means that you, as a keeper, are going to be under increased pressure to perform.

Reckon it is a very hard position to buy for.

You are looking for someone that is both happy with only playing a handfull of games, but good enough to play a lot more if required. A very tough sell to any guy you are looking to bring in. I suppose it may actually require that you look for guys that like money more than playing.

Reckon it is a very hard position to buy for.

You are looking for someone that is both happy with only playing a handfull of games, but good enough to play a lot more if required. A very tough sell to any guy you are looking to bring in. I suppose it may actually require that you look for guys that like money more than playing.

You're possibly right.
    Though we've been relatively lucky with reserve keepers over the years, a lot of the lads that weren't considered first choice did do a decent job for us when called upon, even if they were never going to take over long term from the first choice fellas.

Also, it takes a very different kind of personality to be a goalkeeper - a huge amount of the training is done as a much smaller group than the rest of the players. To me (and yes, I'm biased) it's a much harder position to be adequately prepared for mentally - there's a huge amount to the art that some people take for granted..

Well, he has done himself no favours with those so far - he has been generally very poor for us. I maintain that is down to him playing poorly rather than being a poor player, but his performances haven't been up to scratch - to the point he was a sub in a good number of games before he went for surgery.

Obviously, or hopefully, his performances and benching were down to the injuries, and we will see the 'real' Fellaini soon enough.

Again agreed.

What I will say is though is that his outsanding perfromances have been further forward. High balls played up or to feet he is a thorn in any side.

I've seen clips and one or two games as a DM and he's done okay, nothing amazing...though he claims (i think) that's his better position.

Reminds me of Silvestre in that regard, always claimed to be a CB but was way more secure as a FB imo (that's saying something)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I suppose it may actually require that you look for guys that like money more than playing.

You mean the Winston Bogarde of goalkeepers. A man famous for his ridiculously huge salary and the fact he admitted he didn't put in the effort cause he was gonna get paid anyway. Ha. At least he was honest about it.

Its seems to Mannone alright

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-bid-vito-mannone-3024021

wasn't he unhappy playing second fiddle at Arsenal? can't see him being happy to do likewise at UTD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Al Capwned wrote: »

Reminds me of Stuart Taylor, who was a second choice keeper for almost his entire career, played 72 games in 12 years, half of them on loan. Spent three years at City and played twice.

Read an article about the difficulties associated with the position, can't remember where though.

Edit: Never mind, here it is http://barrettsportswriting.webs.com/apps/blog/show/prev?from_id=11094516

Again agreed.

What I will say is though is that his outsanding perfromances have been further forward. High balls played up or to feet he is a thorn in any side.

I've seen clips and one or two games as a DM and he's done okay, nothing amazing...though he claims (i think) that's his better position.

Reminds me of Silvestre in that regard, always claimed to be a CB but was way more secure as a FB imo (that's saying something)

Does he not play for Belgium in a deeper role. Considering the midfielders they have i presume he must be fairly decent if he is starting their for them.

Reminds me of Stuart Taylor, who was a second choice keeper for almost his entire career, played 72 games in 12 years, half of them on loan. Spent three years at City and played twice.

Read an article about the difficulties associated with the position, can't remember where though.

Edit: Never mind, here it is http://barrettsportswriting.webs.com/apps/blog/show/prev?from_id=11094516

Steve Harper another all depends on what way you look at it. Had the talent to play lower level Premier football but decided to sit on the bench for the majority of his career.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Does he not play for Belgium in a deeper role. Considering the midfielders they have i presume he must be fairly decent if he is starting their for them.

True... but didn't Motta play a lot of the time in a DM role for Barcelona? He was poor a good few games I saw him for them, plagued with injuries but still made several appearances as their main DM. A team that did very well in that period although not as good as they are now.

Not saying he was an awful player but his time at Barca wasn't great yet he was a regular DM in front of a good front 5. Maybe its a similar thing with Fellaini and Belgium?

Just a theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

How will it be easier to get players in the summer? During World Cup year - which always makes things a bit difficult, on the back of (possibly) a season of failure and no CL to offer?

Doing nothing now means getting 4th is going to be very hard based on the evidence of what Moyes is currently getting from the current squad.

But I don't think nothing will be done.
    MEN thinks Sneijder could be brought in, personally would prefer Powell to be brought back and used instead.
    I don't think it will be easy to get deals done in January but I expect something will be done.
    Even if we got our injury list back to playing, it would be like new signings.
    I would not be so negative, because Moyes has not being sitting on his hands or twiddling his thumbs, just two days off work since he took over, he will be working hard this month to make things happen.

Far more players move when the season is over than during a season. That said I can see Adam Lallana being in a united shirt before the month is out. He has 6 goals and 6 assists in 25 games this season.

RobertKK wrote: »

But this is the first line of the post I replied to:

"It is better Moyes signs nobody if he can't get the player(s) he wants now, when it will be easier to get players in the summer."

You said signs nobody - my argument is signing nobody is stupid, and will possibly cost in the league, and following that, in the summer transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Ye are right, most decent keepers would want to be 1st choice, even at a lower level PL team. Be a pity to see Lindegard go though i think, has usually done the job when called upon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

easily the worst full back I have seen wearing a United shirt - his positioning was shocking. How he was given that role still baffles me to this day. We would not have won the EPL in 02/03 if Ferguson had persisted with him at full back. Moving him centre back and bringing John O'Shea to left back was the winning of that EPL.
    Silvestre is the captain of my worst ever United XI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

kstand wrote: »
    easily the worst full back I have seen wearing a United shirt - his positioning was shocking. How he was given that role still baffles me to this day. We would not have won the EPL in 02/03 if Ferguson had persisted with him at full back. Moving him centre back and bringing John O'Shea to left back was the winning of that EPL.

Bit harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Blanc and Prunier alongside! Taibi/Bosnich in goal, right full is tough enough. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Blanc and Prunier alongside! Taibi/Bosnich in goal, right full is tough enough. :D

Antonio Valencia.

Valencia is also right wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

RobertKK wrote: »
    MEN thinks Sneijder could be brought in, personally would prefer Powell to be brought back and used instead.
    I don't think it will be easy to get deals done in January but I expect something will be done.
    Even if we got our injury list back to playing, it would be like new signings.
    I would not be so negative, because Moyes has not being sitting on his hands or twiddling his thumbs, just two days off work since he took over, he will be working hard this month to make things happen.

Far more players move when the season is over than during a season. That said I can see Adam Lallana being in a united shirt before the month is out. He has 6 goals and 6 assists in 25 games this season.
    Hoping Pochettino resigns after the chief exec cortese resigned yesterday, they have a woman in charge who knows absolutely nothing about the game according to the papers. double raid for shaw and lallana any chance?

Fishyfreak wrote: »

Taibi only had a couple of games and just didnt settle.
    He'd be my sub goalkeeper.
    Barthez is number one in my side - wearing a clowns outfit which he should have been wearing when he played in goal for United.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Hoping Pochettino resigns after the chief exec cortese resigned yesterday, they have a woman in charge who knows absolutely nothing about the game according to the papers. double raid for shaw and lallana any chance?

Now is the time to go for Shaw. Would he walk into the Chelsea team now i don't think so. Offer the money and tell him how he is joining to be first choice lb at United that will be hard for any young player to ignore no matter who he supports. A move to United and a good second half of the season gives him a chance of going to the world cup well that's what i would be telling him.

easily the worst full back I have seen wearing a United shirt

He wasn't great but I got way more nervous him playing at CB. Worst? Well maybe out of the consistent first teamers but Jon Spector and Curtis were awful when they got runs in the side. I hate Smalling and Valencia at FB too. Don't want to see Fabio near the team for a while and as for positioning, I don't think Buttner knows what it is! Someone teach him the offside rule and how to play offside.

Harsh! Always will have a little soft spot for him because of this
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/3647100.stm

Remember Slvestre and Rio forming an awesome partnership til Rio missed his drugs test. Silvestre was never as good after that - even when Rio returned.

He wasn't great but I got way more nervous him playing at CB. Worst? Well maybe out of the consistent first teamers but Jon Spector and Curtis were awful when they got runs in the side. I hate Smalling and Valencia at FB too. Don't want to see Fabio near the team for a while and as for positioning, I don't think Buttner knows what it is! Someone teach him the offside rule and how to play offside.

Harsh! Always will have a little soft spot for him because of this
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/3647100.stm

His only redeeming feature.
    However bad he was centre half - and he was bad there - he seemed to play a bit better there than left full. If you ever get a look back on goals were conceded 2001/2002 and there along when he was full back, watch his positioning for those goals - always out of position. Dreaful full back. No surprise, in spite of having some great players that we went through the doldrums for a while with the likes of him and Barthez in the side. Used to drive me up the walls.

Chip on your shoulder lads for the occasionally clumsy French players we had?

Having said that Obertan and Bellion could make the worst XI or worst squad.

Barthez, wasn't great but Roy Carroll would be mine. Just wasn't good enough Carroll. Bosnich couldn't kick out the ball, had weight and socializing problems :). Ricardo didn't get on well with us and Taibi just didn't settle.

Blanc, nah there was worse CBs and he was 34 or 35 when joining. Prunier, what a joke he was!

Nothing to do with French players - we all love the king.
    Barthez was a clown out of outfit in goal - I hated him being there. At least the rest of them didnt act the ape when they were in goal. Barthez had a screw loose and made lots of stupid mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Nothing to do with French players - we all love the king.
    Barthez was a clown out of outfit in goal - I hated him being there. At least the rest of them didnt act the ape when they were in goal. Barthez had a screw loose and made lots of stupid mistakes.

this puts carroll ahead for me. cant count the number of times i screamed at the tv when he tried to catch the ball rather than punch it and it ended up bouncing out of his arms and either went into the goal or a strikers path

Haha, what a howler from Carrol. Fond memories.

My father is Spurs fan and I remember him losing his sh1t when this happened. How I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

But this is the first line of the post I replied to:

"It is better Moyes signs nobody if he can't get the player(s) he wants now, when it will be easier to get players in the summer."

You said signs nobody - my argument is signing nobody is stupid, and will possibly cost in the league, and following that, in the summer transfer market.

Doing nothing would be leaving all the players on loan who are playing well and keeping them on loan.

Getting in players on loan would be doing something, Moyes doesn't have to sign players up as United players for the longer term if he can't get the players he wants.
    Signing players for the sake of signing players is why teams end up with players who are on the books but rarely play first team football.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Barthez for me. Hey Thierry i'll throw you the ball to score. Hey Thierry here's the ball again. Absolute joke of a keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Remember Slvestre and Rio forming an awesome partnership til Rio missed his drugs test. Silvestre was never as good after that - even when Rio returned.
    they were unreal!

lordgoat wrote: »
    Barthez for me. Hey Thierry i'll throw you the ball to score. Hey Thierry here's the ball again. Absolute joke of a keeper.

Lets not forget his double howler in this match. This vid also shows UTD greatest ever counter attacking goal, imo. Starts @ 4:35

• Advertisement

this puts carroll ahead for me. cant count the number of times i screamed at the tv when he tried to catch the ball rather than punch it and it ended up bouncing out of his arms and either went into the goal or a strikers path

If Barthez did that, he'd get waaaay more slated for it. Purely because of the character he was and to a lesser extent he was French :p

lol this all started from my post regarding Fellaini. Sorry everyone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Can anyone remember any other howlers from 04-05 from Caroll because I remember him being very solid with the exception of the Spurs game of course. He certainly didnt have the amount of howlers that Howard or Barthez did.

Or what the ape did in this match - I wnated keane the belt the ****e out of him after it:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

lordgoat wrote: »

If you knew the circumstances behind that game you'd most likely have a different attitude.
    There was a good programme on Barthez recently ,when the floodlights fade, and he explained that he had been in France visiting his seriously ill mother in hospital the night before that match and he only flew back in the morning of the match and he wasnt in the right frame of mind .
    Ferguson shouldnt have picked him and that was the beginning of the end for him,he said he lost his appetite for the game after that.

Barthez was an excellent keeper,you dont win the Champions league,World Cup and European Championships being a bad keeper.

If you knew the circumstances behind that game you'd most likely have a different attitude.
    There was a good programme on Barthez recently ,when the floodlights fade, and he explained that he had been in France visiting his seriously ill mother in hospital the night before that match and he only flew back in the morning of the match and he wasnt in the right frame of mind .
    Ferguson shouldnt have picked him and that was the beginning of the end for him,he said he lost his appetite for the game after that.

Barthez was an excellent keeper,you dont win the Champions league,World Cup and European Championships being a bad keeper.

He was a clown in a goalkeepers kit in my opinion. I was delighted the day he left OT.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement