Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

If you knew the circumstances behind that game you'd most likely have a different attitude.
    There was a good programme on Barthez recently ,when the floodlights fade, and he explained that he had been in France visiting his seriously ill mother in hospital the night before that match and he only flew back in the morning of the match and he wasnt in the right frame of mind .
    Ferguson shouldnt have picked him and that was the beginning of the end for him,he said he lost his appetite for the game after that.

Barthez was an excellent keeper,you dont win the Champions league,World Cup and European Championships being a bad keeper.

If he wasn't in the right mind to play he shouldn't have.

Barthez was a poor keeper by world class standards. Poor concentration and poor application. Delighted to see the back of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

kstand wrote: »
    He was a clown in a goalkeepers kit in my opinion. I was delighted the day he left OT.

Two sides to this. He had howlers. He had great days in in a Utd kit.

I didn't particularly like him because of his inconsistency for us and wasn't sad to see him leave. I hear what you are saying but overall throughout his career he was a great keeper.

A tad harsh on him and Silvestre. They had their ups and downs but there was worse than them

I, imo, put Carroll and Taibi ahead of him for the Worst XI keeper spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Trilla wrote: »
    Two sides to this. He had howlers. He had great days in in a Utd kit.

I didn't particularly like him because of his inconsistency for us and wasn't sad to see him leave. I hear what you are saying but overall throughout his career he was a great keeper.

A tad harsh on him and Silvestre. They had their ups and downs but there was worse than them

I, imo, put Carroll and Taibi ahead of him for the Worst XI keeper spot.

A matter of opinion at the end of the day - if I ever took over the club in those days the two of them would be out the door the following morning. In fact, every time I ever took United over in CM, I sold the two of them straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

16 January 2014
    Last updated at 14:59

"Moyes needs time, he's new," said Van Persie. "The manager is our leading man and he will change things around."

BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

bullvine wrote: »
    Can anyone remember any other howlers from 04-05 from Caroll because I remember him being very solid with the exception of the Spurs game of course. He certainly didnt have the amount of howlers that Howard or Barthez did.

CL against Milan, flapped at a shot and Crespo tapped it in.

Hope he drops a few clangers in a few weeks time!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

For all of Barthez's mistakes. I always remember him for the save from Hamann. Still one of the greatest saves I've seen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

This vid also shows UTD greatest ever counter attacking goal, imo.

This goal might have something to say about that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Could possibly see Fellaini behind striker, which would mean dropping Kagawa/Januzaj

Something like:
    Fletcher Carrick
    Valencia Fellaini Jan/Kag
    Welbeck

Would provide more defensive work. Could well happen

This would result in "dirt" football

Could possibly see Fellaini behind striker, which would mean dropping Kagawa/Januzaj

Something like:
    Fletcher Carrick
    Valencia Fellaini Jan/Kag
    Welbeck

Would provide more defensive work. Could well happen

If that was the United front 6 available week in week out, a top ten spot would be a massive achievment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If we start playing Fellaini behind the striker my interest in watching games would be non existent, it's stuff you'd expect to see down at the park on a Sunday morning.

We're bad enough already we don't need to further promote hoofball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You know that RVP quote is great to see. Plenty of people spouting rubbish and rumour about his unhappyness and forcing a move and all that rubbish. Puts it to bed which is good.

Hopefully he gets back firing soon, issed seeing his cheeky smile after scoring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

i highly doubt having been out for the time he has that fellaini will start on the weekend. would be handy to have on the bench though. whatever people say about him playing behind the striker his strength and power could give terry and co trouble if it comes to it. not even in just lumping the ball up to him even into his feet his power to keep hold of the ball could come in handy longer term i'd rather him in CM but with RVP and Rooney both possible doubts its an option im not opposed to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Been out for a couple hours, and I can't believe the reaction Barthez has gotten.
    Granted, the man made errors, but show me someone who says they haven't and I'll show you a liar.
    To call him ape, clown, a joke and whatever else he's been called is way way over the top.

Fabien Barthez can be criticised for a lot of things, and to be fair was never really in the top echelon of goalkeeping greats, but to abuse him like that is plain wrong imo.

Despite winning two premier leagues at United, it didn't work out, and everyone would agree with that I'm sure. BUT, any goalkeeper that has won the Champions League, European Championships, World Cup, Confederations Cup, was capped that many times for his country and twice voted Best Goalkeeper in Europe was anything but an ape.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

If we start playing Fellaini behind the striker my interest in watching games would be non existent, it's stuff you'd expect to see down at the park on a Sunday morning.

At least some of the lads down the park would be hung over so they have an excuse for hoof ball :)

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Been out for a couple hours, and I can't believe the reaction Barthez has gotten.
    Granted, the man made errors, but show me someone who says they haven't and I'll show you a liar.
    To call him ape, clown, a joke and whatever else he's been called is way way over the top.

Fabien Barthez can be criticised for a lot of things, and to be fair was never really in the top echelon of goalkeeping greats, but to abuse him like that is plain wrong imo.

Despite winning two premier leagues at United, it didn't work out, and everyone would agree with that I'm sure. BUT, any goalkeeper that has won the Champions League, European Championships, World Cup, Confederations Cup, was capped that many times for his country and twice voted Best Goalkeeper in Europe was anything but an ape.

I paid good money to go and watch United, its my opinion at the end of the day and thats what I think of Barthez - a clown in a goalkeeping kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Barthez was an excellent keeper, he just had an eccentricity rating of 20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Hope he drops a few clangers in a few weeks time!

Carroll wont even be on the bench for Olympiacos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Al Capwned wrote: »

Who'd he win the champions league with?? My minds gone Blanc here???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You don't play hoofball to a player playing off the front man :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

brinty wrote: »

Marseille.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

So no new signing yet?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

So no new signing yet?:p

Don't worry Dithering Dave will have them Kew'n up ;)

kstand wrote: »
    I paid good money to go and watch United, its my opinion at the end of the day and thats what I think of Barthez - a clown in a goalkeeping kit.

And you're entitled to it. Doesn't make me think that you're any more right though.

Nor does it portray you in a very good light to resort to name calling.
    In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Pochettino is staying on as the Saints boss. Shaw and co might want to stay there now.

brinty wrote: »

Please tell me you didn't do that on purpose?? :P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Apparently Anderson has agreed his move to Fiorentina

http://talksport.com/football/anderson-agrees-loan-switch-fiorentina-14011675972?

“I think he needs time like everyone,” said the 30-year-old. “Especially if you are new at such a big club.

“I don't think that people don’t understand that they have to give a bit more time – and I’m talking about fans or even us or himself.

“He will get that time and everyone is convinced that we will change things sooner rather than later.”

From the MEN.
    A positive story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

If we don't sign anyone soon, i'll eat an entire Toblerone and drive to Dundee in my bare feet.

If we don't sign anyone soon, i'll eat an entire Toblerone and drive to Dundee in my bare feet.

On your marks, get set..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Apparently Anderson has agreed his move to Fiorentina

http://talksport.com/football/anderson-agrees-loan-switch-fiorentina-14011675972?

I wonder are they going to give him a big wage or we paying some of it.
    I reckon he is a bit heavy hearted about the move but a huge opportunity for him to get his career back up and rolling.
    Fat chance we will see him again in the red jersey.

• Advertisement

I reckon he is a bit heavy hearted about the move but a huge opportunity for him to get his career back up and rolling.

;)

Anderson in Italy

BeHiZ3BCEAAdB-O.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Jet from Gladiators to host a millennium barn dance at Yeovil aerodrome. Properly policed. It must not, I repeat not, turn into an all-night rave

Brilliant. (Could have said we'd chip in with the wages) Haha ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Anderson in Italy

BeHiZ3BCEAAdB-O.jpg

He will love the food there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hopefully he has the stomach and appetite for Italian football

Nailed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Hope he does well there, if he plays well enough he may get another crack at the club, about a 2% chance of that happening of course, but even a decent time there and he should fetch some sort of a fee, I hear Fiorentina have a clause that allows them to buy him for 6.5 mil after the initial loan fee. If it worked out other clubs who would pay a higher fee might be interested and he could want to join one of them, negating the agreement Fior have.

Whatever happens I wish him well and hope he finds a bit of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I know its not like for like but I took the first 21 games of last season and took RVPs goals out and got the following table.

I think it shows the impact loosing RVP for most of the season has had.

One thing that stands out is the amount of goals MU leaked last year also.

MGQLhWe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I know its not like for like but I took the first 21 games of last season and took RVPs goals out and got the following table.

I think it shows the impact loosing RVP for most of the season has had.

One thing that stands out is the amount of goals MU leaked last year also.

MGQLhWe.jpg

I can never get behind this kind of analysis because it assumes that there would have been no player on the pitch to replace RVP. There would have, and we can't know if / how many times they would have scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭elchupanebrey

I can never get behind this kind of analysis because it assumes that there would have been no player on the pitch to replace RVP. There would have, and we can't know if / how many times they would have scored.

Surely we'd have taken to the pitch with ten men if RVP was missing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hopefully we'll bring someone in now that Anderson is gone, but I'm half expecting to hear Moyes say that Fletcher coming back is the replacement

kryogen

just curious why you thanked this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88497316&postcount=2364

but had already thanked this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88496098&postcount=2352

Was it just cas he was called an ape earlier?

Especially with a few of those as penalty kicks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

kryogen

just curious why you thanked this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88497316&postcount=2364

but had already thanked this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88496098&postcount=2352

Was it just cas he was called an ape earlier?

I agree with parts of both posts

Now on to the really curious matter of why it interests you?? :)

kryogen wrote: »
    Now on to the really curious matter of why it interests you?? :)

Just curious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Especially with a few of those as penalty kicks

He scored 1 penality wgich had no points difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Who put up the image last summer of Principle Skinner looking through the telescope with Bart...? Anyone know what im on about?

He scored 1 penality wgich had no points difference.

Was the Liverpool winner not a pen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Who put up the image last summer of Principle Skinner looking through the telescope with Bart...? Anyone know what im on about?

I remember it all right, but not who posted it.

Something along the lines of giving the declination, then the right ascention.. no signing. Gave me a chuckle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Anderson in Italy

BeHiZ3BCEAAdB-O.jpg

If only we could sell him off by the pound.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement