Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why he is a winner though. It would have been a lot braver for him to come out while he was still playing and why is smalling a loser for having a laugh. What a rag of a paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Doom and gloom, every player is looking for a way out of the club. Moyes is having a nervous breakdown, the team will be walking out onto the pitch to the strains of "Heaven knows I'm miserable now" this weekend. Newspaper headlines speculating and concocting stories of the players unrest and the clubs general demise. And still, no f##king sign of any poxy transfer activity. Is there any end to it at all?

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm surprised Moyes hasn't gotten the dreaded "Vote of confidence" yet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Christ Hitzlsperger is a fool for saying that. Nobody wants to know. I mean he should just bury a secret like that forever and not even his parents & friends want to hear that he was involved in that kind of circumstance. Its just plain wrong. I mean actually admitting you played for Villa? Its just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why he is a winner though. It would have been a lot braver for him to come out while he was still playing and why is smalling a loser for having a laugh. What a rag of a paper.

Yeah, the tags should be reversed, man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Yeah, the tags should be reversed, man.

Blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

So no sign of any signings then? :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

KH25 wrote: »

Sure our transfer window doesn't open for another 21 days or so :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

KH25 wrote: »

Not looking great. I was having a think again and thought about Donovan. Yes, he is older than McGeady but for the short term - a couple of years until a bit of balance forms - he would be a good steady man to have. Also the fact that he knows Moyes could be an incentive for him to move over. And someone like Beckham who used to play with LA might be a good friend of his who would convince him to sign for one of the biggest clubs in the world. These opportunities don't come around often. Landon might just say yes if offered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Sure our transfer window doesn't open for another 21 days or so :P

And closes ten minutes later.

Piers Morgan calling for Smalling to be sacked on Twitter I see.

Guardian are running this story

Guardian: Manchester United players raise concerns over David Moyes credentials

They claim several senior players are questioning his credentials following the three losses and that some within the dressing room are unsure of Moyes's ability to reverse a sequence.

On reading the article its a classic click bait headline. Taking 3 past quotes and spinning them for this new story with no recent source or quotes for the new headline.

Forza Italian Football has learned that the Manchester giants made an offer of around €25 million for the 27-year-old, who has appeared on 13 occasiona in Serie A for the Bianconeri this season.

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2014/01/manchester-united-make-offer-for-juventus-midfielder/

I wonder I wonder..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Agueroooo wrote: »
    the most sense I have read about Moyes/Utd and coming from a City fan:eek:

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1uig2l/question_is_david_moyes_underperforming_as/ceinr8j
    v3ttel wrote: »
    Fantastic piece. Well thought out points and a realistic view of what is going on and how long it might take for him to get things right.
    Thecon21 wrote: »
    Excellent post this

Couldn't disagree more. Effectively myopic drivel.
    One last thing to note. I find it interesting how many people when this was announced said things like "Moyes will need a transition time" but have now decided that he should be gone in January. Transition time is a term used to denote the time it takes to sweep away the mentality of the old regime and bring in your own mentality. Essentially, how long it takes to forget the old manager and buy into the thoughts of the new even if it conflicts with what the old manager would say. For a manager who casts the shadow of Ferguson, this will take 3 or 4 years, not 3 or 4 months. Bobby Charlton, Alex Ferguson and others at United understand this so appointed a manager who can rebuild United and have the wide shoulders it requires to bear the load of expectation from the fans and media. They think they found their right man in David Moyes and all piss taking aside, so do I. I hope that they both fight his corner in the boardroom and I'm sure they will. These people understand United as a Club, understand what makes it successful and understand what makes it special.
    Moyes will be fine if the fans just shut up and let him do his job.

"Transition" is generally a term applied in football which explains a barren period in a sides existence.

Take a look at some of the sides in transition in recent memory.

Arsenal.

Period: 2006-2013

Reasons: From 1997 to 2006 under Arsene Wenger they had a fantastic run of success. 3 League titles, 4 FA Cups, 4 Charity Shields, and reached the Champions League Final.

The Emirates cost £390m to build. By any clubs standards that's a lot of money. Of course the £150m sponsorship deal offset a lot of those costs but there can be no doubt the financial impact alone was unique. £210m in government bonds issued on LIBOR alone over 13 and a half years ensured this wouldn't be paid for easily.

As a direct result of the switch, or indirect, whichever way you look at it Arsenal began a policy of selling their best players annually. The stadium financing, coupled with Wengers insistence not to break the bank, also meant that they were losing their best players and unable to offer the wages to attract the best over Europe.

The Emirates move created a perfect storm whereby a genuinely class outfit was forced to transition from a top-class squad to a decent squad. Even at this point in time with them sat top of the League now in 2014 their squad is still 3 or 4 top players short of where it needs to be.

Republic of Ireland:

I'll try keep this short as there are probably a multitude of reasons for our transitionary period. But it's safe to say one key factor is that a lot of our better players were of similar ages and got old together. 5 years ago we could count on Given, Duff, Keane, Dunne. Instead of blooding new players the previous coach decided to eke the most out of his ageing squad with a turgid, disciplined, unimaginative style of football which, to be fair, did achieve qualification for a tournament - which was noteworthy for a side clearly needing transition.

Right now Given, Duffer etc have said their goodbyes and Robbie and Richie Dunne won't be far off them. We're lucky in the respect we have some genuine prospects and quality coming through. Coleman is a 100+ cap in the making. McCarthy could easily be 1st choice for a decade.

The fruits of this transition will probably bear fruit in 4-6 years.

Chelsea are going through a transition themselves. Out with the Lampards, Drogbas, Terrys and in with the new.

Spurs are in transition with a new coach and an array of new (mostly foreign) players at the club.

When you analyse the above it's clear that transition generally involves players, not managers.

Manchester United are in transition. Absolutely.

But they've been in transition for a while now and under SAF too. Scholes, Giggs, the Nevilles , they've all been and gone and to replace that generation takes time and patience. SAF , like Trap, succeeded beyond belief in achieving some sort of success with a transitionary side.

However, the idea that transition involves "sweeping away the mentality of the old manager" is pure bollix!! Especially in this case. Why on earth would you want to sweep aside a legendary winning mentality?

Manchester Uniteds transition should be at (or very near) its conclusion. Fergie did all the hard work. This is not an ageing side like Chelsea were. This is not an ageing side like Ireland were. This is not a side that has went all-out on long term success with a £400 million stadium purchase.

This is a relatively young side and even in recent seasons the older players were bit-part players.

Moyes doesn't and shouldn't need years to "transition" away a mentality and culture of being winners. He certainly doesn't need time to allow 10 new foreign players to gel. He certainly doesn't need time to allow a multitude of young players to find their feet in the league.

The idea that a new coach = automatic transitionary period is a complete nonsense.

If i had a Porsche and say i'll give you my Porsche you'd be delighted. Ok you're used to driving a Hyundai Coupe and it's a big step up in speed and power but if you know how to drive it shouldn't take you long to feel comfortable behind the wheels.

That's what this is. And right now people are clamouring for the moral high ground to support Moyes and want to give him enough time to write the car off.

There is no moral high ground here. If you want to give the man time, good for you. But spare me the "transition" nonsense. All he had to do was add 2, possibly 3, quality signings in the summer to the existing Champions and he should have been bang in contention on all fronts.

Instead he adds one mop-haired over-priced Belgian, inexplicably chases another over-priced full back at the same club yet blindly ignores 2 cheaper gems at the time (Barkley and Coleman) at the same club.

The right man for Manchester United doesn't and shouldn't need a 3 year transition. He shouldn't need to plead for patience while the club are staring down the abyss of a barren period and incredibly one with no Champions League football. The right man for the club wouldn't and shouldn't be embarrassing himself and the football club by blaming referrees when losing to Mickey Mouse mid-table sides at home.

I'd love to take the word transition and stick it in the bin alongside the words "good project". It's 21st century football nonsense.

Sacking Moyes now (or soon) does NOT mean Manchester United are turning into Chelsea or City. It means that Manchester United, like any other human, are capable of making a mistake and not too proud to own up to their mistake and correct it. He's not the right man, never will be and the endless list of excuses made for him need to be swept aside. He's in a results business and the results for this club have been garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We were reportedly interested in Marchisio last summer as Pogba was starting ahead of him last season and it looks the same this season as well.

Here's quotes from him last summer
    I've heard that I might not be so valuable to Juve any more.

I've not been told anything by the club or received any offers and I need to speak to Juve to see if I am still an important player for them.

If that's not the case, it will be normal to look at other teams. It is not only down to me - it has to be the club as well.

So far, I do not know but if I get offers from Manchester United, or Monaco, I would be very proud.

We will discover the truth after the Confederations Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Would be a fantastic signing but until I see him in the flesh getting off the plane in manchester I won't believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Neeson wrote: »
    Not looking great. I was having a think again and thought about Donovan. Yes, he is older than McGeady but for the short term - a couple of years until a bit of balance forms - he would be a good steady man to have. Also the fact that he knows Moyes could be an incentive for him to move over. And someone like Beckham who used to play with LA might be a good friend of his who would convince him to sign for one of the biggest clubs in the world. These opportunities don't come around often. Landon might just say yes if offered.
    I gave you the benefit of the doubt earlier, that you just might be a bit clueless but it's clear to see what you're up to :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

^ Wonderful

thats a class piece of writing. Good to have the long view on things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I very much am. New players needed and a bit of heart and harness. Cattermole is a hard man. And McGeady on the wing - sure he is hit and miss but a damn sight better than Valencia. These two boys would reinvigorate the team.

Cattermole is a hard man? He is in my ****

McGeady? Eh yeah, no thanks we already have enough inconsistent wingers with ****e delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Oh Goodness!!

• Advertisement

jamesbere wrote: »
    Would be a fantastic signing but until I see him in the flesh getting off the plane in manchester I won't believe it.

Italians dont leave Italy that often (when playing for the bigger teams at least) and coupled with the fact that Italian players havent always adapted brilliantly to the English league I wont get too excited yet. On paper he would be a very good signing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I'd just love for Moyes to whip someone like Marchiso outta nowhere, wipe the smirk off all the ABU's having the time of their lives atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Even if he has a mare over here he'd have to be better than Cleverley is now surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Marchisio could play in a 2 man midfield as well.

Too good to be true.

@ Your Airbag

Thank you for ruining my life

3EPj5p1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I'd just love for Moyes to whip someone like Marchiso outta nowhere, wipe the smirk off all the ABU's having the time of their lives atm

Marchisio?

The mind boggles.

Moyes could get in a peak Pele and Maradonna up front and it still won't change the fact he'd insist on Cleverley picking the ball up deep and shunting it out to Valencia to whip a cross in.

Even those defending Moyes are doing it more out of hope than a genuine conviction he's the right man.

If people genuinely believe Moyes is 100% the right man they need a strait jacket. People are giving him time out of pure hope that he turns this around - when all the signs and signals on and off the field are saying he won't do it.

Moyes only tangible achievement in football is getting Preston out of League 2. One promotion. There can be no foundation in reality for the belief he is the right man. It's pure hope.

And Hope is a wonderful thing - it's kept the fans of Liverpool, Leeds, Arsenal and Spurs sane over the past decade.

Personally i prefer to deal in reality. Moyes was a gamble, arguably a fair gamble, but not all gambles pay off. For every Martinez and Rodgers there's a dozen AVB's who simply don't work out. Any bookie will tell you they love a punter who'd rather keep chasing their losses than admit defeat early on.

I'm actually being honest about Donovan. He was a great player for Everton when he came over. Yes McGeady may not be world class but would be a decent addition to the team and I don't get the lack of interest in Cattermole. He's young, wouldn't cost a fortune and yes he is hard with a bit of bite in him. Have you not seen him play?He's no Roy Keane but he has a toughness about him - unlike Cleverly prancing around. I feel he would lose a few teeth if it meant winning a ball.

This is the type of player needed. One with a bit of bite.

Its no achievement taking Everton to CL qualification? Keeping them so competitive, signing some quality players for small fees on a shoe string budget, no achievement in doing that for over a decade, make a profit in the transfer market (out of necessity) for about 5 years running!

I never wanted Moyes, but he is here and he should be given a slightly larger sample size then 6 months, with all the mitigating factors to decide whether he will ever be any good for the club.

Spoiled children have more impartial and rational thought about them at times you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Suarez??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

VW 1 wrote: »
    Suarez??

This neesen lad is havin a giraffe!! Sign Landon Donovan and Aidan mcgeady?
    Christ almighty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mcgeady is on his way to Everton by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Aiden McGeady,
    Not what we needy.

El Shaaraway
    Adam ljajic
    Julien Draxler

Any chance??

Devil08 wrote: »
    El Shaaraway
    Adam ljajic
    Julien Draxler

Any chance??

Didn't we all but buy him before? around 2009 iirc.

Draxler Yes please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes but we withdrew the offer after he agreed to sign for us. Went to fiorentina instead. Looks a real talent

Yes but we withdrew the offer after he agreed to sign for us. Went to fiorentina instead. Looks a real talent

And settled for Valencia instead...

where did it all go wrong?

And settled for Valencia instead...

where did it all go wrong?

He went to Roma in August for 11 million so doubt we would get him. Another one we let slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

We couldn't get a work permit for him I think.

• Advertisement

You would have to wonder at times were the management and board literally taking the piss with some of the decisions on buying players.

We seemed to buy all the dudes and left the real talent behind.

He went to Roma in August for 11 million so doubt we would get him. Another one we let slip.

Our midfield now could potentially have been ljajic morrison pogba januzaj

Holy **** what a mess we made

ah ffs I was in ok form till now!!

This neesen lad is havin a giraffe!! Sign Landon Donovan and Aidan mcgeady?
    Christ almighty.

Would you not say Landon would be a good acquisition? He has something about him - a bit of flair - that I think would be good for Old Trafford. Yes, McGeady is a bit of a gamble but who else would realistically go? Reus is unlikely.

Chagan wrote: »
    We couldn't get a work permit for him I think.

Nope, we just plain and simple pulled the plug on him.

Would you not say Landon would be a good acquisition? He has something about him - a bit of flair - that I think would be good for Old Trafford. Yes, McGeady is a bit of a gamble but who else would realistically go? Reus is unlikely.

Don't know why I'm responding to this. We have 4 very good strikers already. It's our strongest area of the team. Landon Donovan is muck.
    Aiden Mcgeady played in Scotland and Russia, low standard leagues and didn't exactly light them up. He has none of the attributes needed in a Utd player. He is a poor mans Valencia and that's low

• Advertisement

Our midfield now could potentially have been ljajic morrison pogba januzaj

Holy **** what a mess we made

Wouldnt get you very far would it, 442 certainly wouldnt be the way to go with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

kryogen wrote: »
    @ Your Airbag

Thank you for ruining my life

3EPj5p1.png

A good friend of mine failed 1st year of college because of Roberto Baggio Magical Kicks.

kryogen wrote: »
    Wouldnt get you very far would it, 442 certainly wouldnt be the way to go with it.

No and you'd obviously have carrick in there but to have those players in our squad now would be a dream.

I know its been said many times, but just to have Pogba now.

Would still need couple more players, but he have solved a 1/3 of United problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I'm actually being honest about Donovan. He was a great player for Everton when he came over. Yes McGeady may not be world class but would be a decent addition to the team and I don't get the lack of interest in Cattermole. He's young, wouldn't cost a fortune and yes he is hard with a bit of bite in him. Have you not seen him play?He's no Roy Keane but he has a toughness about him - unlike Cleverly prancing around. I feel he would lose a few teeth if it meant winning a ball.

Cattermole doesn't have a bit of bite about him. He's a hatchetman. A decent leader no doubt, given how often he's been captain of teams but he would probably spend more time suspended than available. Poor man's Joey Barton.
    McGeady isn't PL standard, never mind United standard. He possesses zero end product. Donovan? Can't see where he'd fit in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement