Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

keano2012 wrote: »
    that's the last thing we need- if they are not starting for their own then why would they be good enough to play for united. only one i can think of i mata nad no way in hell are chelski gona sell to us.
    im sick of buying 'potential'- we have the money why not use it and buy a reus or a vidal. if we dont sign someone with a bit of creativity no way will we qualify for the champions league.
    i dont think it matters if they are cup tied- the league is what matter now- not good enough to win the champs league anyway.

So Contreau is good enough for united?,no he's not.we probaly over pay for him as well :/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Win the Europa league next season and you qualify for the Champions League the following season.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

RobertKK wrote: »
    Win the Europa league next season and you qualify for the Champions League the following season.

**** that. Win the league next season and qualify for the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I read somewhere that Ando has only competed 20 something percent of games he's started for United, if that's true it really takes the cake, he needs to get himself straight

Completed 18 gamea in seven years. Sorry but good riddance.

Prime example of a manager who WOULSNT admit his costly mistake and being too powerful to be questioned over it.

Best of luck him. Bags of ability just simply not got the attitude required to be a top player. Its a typical Brazilian trait. We can all put 2+2 together to realise why he never had consistent runs of fitness.

One of the highlights of Moyes will be he will have no problem removing those who had Fergies unwavering support and Anderson is no.1 on that list.

bassy wrote: »
    So Contreau is good enough for united?,no he's not.we probaly over pay for him as well :/

Contrao is an excellent left back who is also outrageous going forward. In another life he would be a top European winger. He brings creativity from an area you wouldn't expect. Massive bonus and would be a great signing. Been following him since his explosion during the world cup in south Africa and the only downside is he took the move to Madrid and played second fiddle to ehat I consider an inferior left back in Marcello..but who had a strong understanding with Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

TheDoc wrote: »
    Completed 18 gamea in seven years. Sorry but good riddance.

Prime example of a manager who WOULSNT admit his costly mistake and being too powerful to be questioned over it.

Best of luck him. Bags of ability just simply not got the attitude required to be a top player. Its a typical Brazilian trait. We can all put 2+2 together to realise why he never had consistent runs of fitness.

One of the highlights of Moyes will be he will have no problem removing those who had Fergies unwavering support and Anderson is no.1 on that list.

Completed 19 Premier League games 18% of his appearances (wow)
    Completed 9 league cup games 56% of his appearances
    Completed 4 FA cup games 25% of his appearances
    Completed 15 Champions League games 41% of his appearances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

kryogen wrote: »

but all those percentages add up to 140, how can they be percentages then???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

scudzilla wrote: »
    but all those percentages add up to 140, how can they be percentages then???

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that those are percentages for each competition, not his overall appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

kryogen wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that those are percentages for each competition, not his overall appearances.

Ahhhhh, like he only managed to finish the full 90mins in 19 premier league games, 18% of the amount of games he started, i get ya now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

keano2012 wrote: »
    that's the last thing we need- if they are not starting for their own then why would they be good enough to play for united. only one i can think of i mata nad no way in hell are chelski gona sell to us.
    im sick of buying 'potential'- we have the money why not use it and buy a reus or a vidal. if we dont sign someone with a bit of creativity no way will we qualify for the champions league.
    i dont think it matters if they are cup tied- the league is what matter now- not good enough to win the champs league anyway.

Players get poorly used at clubs all the time.

There have been plenty of examples of this, as you say Mata is clearly good enough for the team, Coentrao is not the player he looked like he may become, he would still be an improvement on Evra (imo) these days, Di Maria is still a good player

Actually, Madrid in general are fun, Robben would improve most teams, Sneijder back then, VDV too, Madrid are great at not using players properly

Lukaku cant even manage to stay in the Chelsea first team squad, yet I think its clear to see he could offer plenty to teams

Just because a player isnt starting for a club, doesnt always mean he isnt good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Is today the day we do some business?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Sports witness: United confident that Garay signing will take place in the next 2 to 3 days

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/manchester-united-confident-first-signing-can-be-made-in-2-to-3-d
    The Star report that United have spoken to Juan Mata's agent about a potential move to Old Trafford. The Spanish star is unhappy at Chelsea - who the Reds play on Sunday - but it remains unclear whether Jose Mourinho
    would sell to a Premier League rival

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/360244/Manchester-United-chase-Chelsea-star-Juan-Mata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Is today the day we do some business?

Six hours, nineteen minutes, right ascension...... No. No we will not do some business today.

So we didn't want Ozil in the summer, but figure we can fit Mata in now? I call bollix on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The Star report that United have spoken to Juan Mata's agent about a potential move to Old Trafford. The Spanish star is unhappy at Chelsea - who the Reds play on Sunday - but it remains unclear whether Jose Mourinho
    would sell to a Premier League rival
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/360244/Manchester-United-chase-Chelsea-star-Juan-Mata

Moyes: Ah but Jose, look at us all the way down here in 7th, we're hardly a rival now are we?

Jose: Good point.

*United buy Mata, win league.*

I'd be shocked if Chelsea sold Mata to Utd.

The only way I'd see it happening is a swap deal with Rooney or something

So we didn't want Ozil in the summer, but figure we can fit Mata in now? I call bollix on that.

Things are slightly different now than they were back in September in fairness.

Spanish reports that Real are closing in on Sevilla left-back Alberto Moreno, which could presumably make Coentrao available
    Manchester United and Manchester City have been given a price tag of £25m for the signature of Luke Shaw, the two are expected to enter a bidding war to land the highly sought after left back.
    Anderson move expected to be finalised today while Nani still attempting to force through his move to Juventus

Ref: F365 transfer blog

Fingers crossed for some activity. But what is this about Nani, anyone else heard anything more on this?

Things are slightly different now than they were back in September in fairness.

We're desperate? Young didn't turn out to be the world class star Moyes thought he would be?

From a central midfield standpoint I could agree - I had higher hopes for Anderson, Cleverley and Fellaini than has been realised, but the wing play and creativity in that area is exactly what I figured it would be.

Turning down Ozil in August and then going for Mata in January (a much much harder deal to accomplish) is just piss-poor management.

I would love Mata at United, don't get me wrong on that, but to turn down the chance to buy Ozil and then go for Mata six months later just screams of backtracking and poor squad management in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

We're desperate? Young didn't turn out to be the world class star Moyes thought he would be?

From a central midfield standpoint I could agree - I had higher hopes for Anderson, Cleverley and Fellaini than has been realised, but the wing play and creativity in that area is exactly what I figured it would be.

Turning down Ozil in August and then going for Mata in January (a much much harder deal to accomplish) is just piss-poor management.

I would love Mata at United, don't get me wrong on that, but to turn down the chance to buy Ozil and then go for Mata six months later just screams of backtracking and poor squad management in the summer.

Or Nani? He has been just as p1ss as Young. As has Anderson, Kagawa - there are a few players who have not lived up to expectations this season on a consistent basis.

Buying Ozil for 40 odd million in the summer would have been a complete luxury purchase. I don't disagree that he is a class player, but you had Boardies shouting at how great Kagawa and Nani would be this season. With Rooney, Nani and Kagawa, how do we accommodate Ozil? Add to the fact that Januzay has broke into the first team, and not only broke in, but showed himself to be a fantastic talent ready for first team action. With Ozil being signed, this wouldn't have happened.

Lets be realistic. A CM was more of a priority than Ozil. We failed in both - granted, but lets not jump on the 'bad man-management' soundbite over Ozil. We didn't rate him as a priority at the time, now, seeing at how awful Nani and Young have been, to a much lesser extent, Kagawa, hindsight will of course suggest we should have bought Ozil.

But it's not bad man-management.

Something tells me Mitch, had we have spunked 40m on Ozil, you would have been the one complaining of bad 'man-management' as now Kagawa or Nani won't be getting as much game time. And we should have focused on a CM.

This might sound a bit left of field, but I doubt if Moyes had much knowledge the strengths and weaknesses of individual United players on his arrival.

Most of us here rarely / never miss a United match, we watch them week in week out and we still disagree on players all the time.

Moyes was managing a whole other team, albeit in the same league, before arriving at United. Sure, he played them twice a season and would have had some knowledge of the squad, but there can't have been much depth to that knowledge. Any time United were playing, so were the bulk of his 18 other opponents, and often his own squad. He can't have had much time to dedicate to investigating how a player like Ashley Young was performing.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I can forgive his inaction in the summer. It makes sense that he wouldn't want to splash cash before being completely familiar with what he had at his disposal. I don't see a problem with skipping Ozil in the summer and buying Mata now. Although I still don't think it will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tuttosport say Nani has changed agents to help a move to Juventus.If true then we should push for one of their players,Marchisio still looks the most attainable.

Ando sucking it in for the medical.
    BeK5R2KIcAAHf4f.jpg

The difference in the summer was Moyes was in charge of the reigning PL champions. Now, he's in charge of a team who are floundering down in 7th, with ever increasing pressure on his head.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved Ozil and I'm the very one calling for his head. But master-t is right; Ozil in the summer was, at that time, a luxury; someone who would have wanted to play in a role where there was already problems facilitating our players. With Rooney pushed back, Kagawa already struggling to get game time, Januzaj coming up through the ranks, we didn't need a 4th player in that position. Especially with our weaknesses in other areas.

Now, Januzaj is out on the wings, Rooney could easily be pushed back into the natural striker role with RVP out and Hernadez not able to captialise on the so few chances he's getting, and as much as I love Kagawa, Mata would displace him there. On top of that, now we need a massive star signing, as opposed to wanting one to introduce Moyes onto the stage.

master-t wrote: »
    Or Nani? He has been just as p1ss as Young. As has Anderson, Kagawa - there are a few players who have not lived up to expectations this season on a consistent basis.

Buying Ozil for 40 odd million in the summer would have been a complete luxury purchase. I don't disagree that he is a class player, but you had Boardies shouting at how great Kagawa and Nani would be this season. With Rooney, Nani and Kagawa, how do we accommodate Ozil? Add to the fact that Januzay has broke into the first team, and not only broke in, but showed himself to be a fantastic talent ready for first team action. With Ozil being signed, this wouldn't have happened.

Lets be realistic. A CM was more of a priority than Ozil. We failed in both - granted, but lets not jump on the 'bad man-management' soundbite over Ozil. We didn't rate him as a priority at the time, now, seeing at how awful Nani and Young have been, to a much lesser extent, Kagawa, hindsight will of course suggest we should have bought Ozil.

But it's not bad man-management.

Something tells me Mitch, had we have spunked 40m on Ozil, you would have been the one complaining of bad 'man-management' as now Kagawa or Nani won't be getting as much game time. And we should have focused on a CM.

I agreed with not going for Ozil in the summer - as he plays best (imo) in Rooney's position.

I don't think Mata would do any better in the same left wing role Kagawa has been mostly asked to play in.

Young and Valencia are doing pretty much exactly as should have been expected.

Nani hasn't had many games, though Januzaj has been a revelation so that kind of evens out in a way.

Anderson and Cleverley have been disappointments (Cleverley not so much for me) but they are central midfielders so utterly irrelevant to the Mata/Ozil discussion.

If we couldn't fit Ozil in the team in August (We turned this down with 4 days left in the window so no CM had been signed or was looking likely) why is it that different now? Where are we going to fit Mata in that we could have done so with Ozil? I just don't get it.

For what it is worth, I think Ozil would have been wasted in the current United style. Whether Ozil, or a potential (highly unlikely) signing of Mata would result in a new style, built on creativity rather than hopeful crosses, I don't know. That is my biggest issue with Moyes to be honest - I don't know whether he needs a better caliber of player to implement the style he really wants, or if how we are playing now IS how he wants us to play (just play it more successfully).

I don't get this. If Nani wanted to leave why did he even sign a new 5 year contract? It would have been lot easier to leave with only 6 months left on his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Or Nani? He has been just as p1ss as Young.

I always find statements like this very odd. If I am right Nani only started 5 games, and has been either injured or out of favour all season? I find it incredibly difficult to slate a player and call him piss poor when he hasn't even featured.

I can call Valencia or Cleverley piss poor, they have played enough for a decent sample size. I can even say Kagawa has been crap, at least he has been on the field to disappoint.

But Nani? Anderson? They haven't featured in any meaningful sense, for all we know if they had been given a run of games like Valencia or Cleverley they could actually have delivered. Or maybe they would have been crap, but we just don't know. Might as well say Zaha has been piss poor.

I agreed with not going for Ozil in the summer - as he plays best (imo) in Rooney's position.

I don't think Mata would do any better in the same left wing role Kagawa has been mostly asked to play in.

Young and Valencia are doing pretty much exactly as should have been expected.

Nani hasn't had many games, though Januzaj has been a revelation so that kind of evens out in a way.

Anderson and Cleverley have been disappointments (Cleverley not so much for me) but they are central midfielders so utterly irrelevant to the Mata/Ozil discussion.

If we couldn't fit Ozil in the team in August (We turned this down with 4 days left in the window so no CM had been signed or was looking likely) why is it that different now? Where are we going to fit Mata in that we could have done so with Ozil? I just don't get it.

For what it is worth, I think Ozil would have been wasted in the current United style. Whether Ozil, or a potential (highly unlikely) signing of Mata would result in a new style, built on creativity rather than hopeful crosses, I don't know. That is my biggest issue with Moyes to be honest - I don't know whether he needs a better caliber of player to implement the style he really wants, or if how we are playing now IS how he wants us to play (just play it more successfully).

Mata played well as LW for Chelsea and Valencia. He would do far far better than Kagawa as LW.

Now, Januzaj is out on the wings, Rooney could easily be pushed back into the natural striker role with RVP out and Hernadez not able to captialise on the so few chances he's getting, and as much as I love Kagawa, Mata would displace him there. On top of that, now we need a massive star signing, as opposed to wanting one to introduce Moyes onto the stage.

Januzaj out on the wing - I don't think that will be long term.
    Rooney pushed back to striker role - So we are dropping RVP?
    RVP out - but, according to himself, he could be back for the Chelsea game, so are we dropping him or Rooney to accomodate Mata?
    Kagawa - if we don't change formation/style of play, Kagawa won't have a long term impact (imo), but the exact same is true of Mata imo, he won't fit in the 442 and style Moyes is currently playing. If you change style to accomodate Mata, I would have tried it with Kagawa first.

Personally I think, and this is on the assumption that a change in style would be implemented, we need a new left back and a couple of new central midfielders before Kagawa, or indeed Mata, would could be utilized properly along with Rooney and RVP (and Januzaj).

This might sound a bit left of field, but I doubt if Moyes had much knowledge the strengths and weaknesses of individual United players on his arrival.

I simply don't agree with this. Even 90 year old bingo junkies on a remote Scottish island knew United had a problem in midfield, and that our wingers had underperformed for a long time. If David Moyes, a premier league manager with a team of scouts, did not have a pretty good idea of the quality of the players at United, then that was wilful ignorance on his part.

• Advertisement

Januzaj out on the wing - I don't think that will be long term.
    Rooney pushed back to striker role - So we are dropping RVP?
    RVP out - but, according to himself, he could be back for the Chelsea game, so are we dropping him or Rooney to accomodate Mata?
    Kagawa - if we don't change formation/style of play, Kagawa won't have a long term impact (imo), but the exact same is true of Mata imo, he won't fit in the 442 and style Moyes is currently playing. If you change style to accomodate Mata, I would have tried it with Kagawa first.

Personally I think, and this is on the assumption that a change in style would be implemented, we need a new left back and a couple of new central midfielders before Kagawa, or indeed Mata, would could be utilized properly along with Rooney and RVP (and Januzaj).

Formations doesn't matter. Kagawa is not playing well from LW position whereas Mata has proved he can for Chelsea and Valencia. Completely different scenarios.

Mata is unrealistic, just assuming if we can get him then we can easily play him, Rooney and Januzaj behind RVP.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Mata played well as LW for Chelsea and Valencia. He would do far far better than Kagawa as LW.

but not in a 442. Kagawa has been asked to play as a traditional left midfielder, with all the defensive work that entails - a left sided Valencia in a way.

Mata has not, imo, performed the same role for Valencia or Chelsea, and would be wasted doing it.

IMO, there is a difference between playing left side of a support 3 and left side of a midfield 4. Kagawa, Mata, Silva, Nasri, Hazard, Ozil can play wide in a support 3 with the freedom that role (and the defensively supporting 2 central midfielders) gives - I don't think any of them are suited to the wide role of a conventional midfield 4, as players like Giggs, Beckham, Sharpe, Valencia are/were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Is there any concrete info on Fletchers health status?

My understanding was that his illness was chronic and without a cure but in his interview after the last match, he sounded like he was fully back without issue, I was surprised at this....

His return has changed the central midfield landscape both from the perspective of current potential line ups and what we will do this window.

I think for example that our main signing this window will be a left back with maybe a younger central midfielder with a signing of the ilk of Gindogen or Modric or whoever you're having yourself left till the summer.

Formations doesn't matter.
    Formations, and tactics, certainly matter. If your argument discounts that from the start, there is no point to continuing this.

Do you honestly think the roles of Ronaldo and Valencia on the right side of the United team were the same? Do you honestly think they were both told to do the same things tactically? Do you honestly think the formation and way we played with Ronaldo and Valencia on the right side of our team are/were the same?

I just don't buy that.

How you deploy a player is vital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

I see Anderson has a tattoo of Ireland :)

I always find statements like this very odd. If I am right Nani only started 5 games, and has been either injured or out of favour all season? I find it incredibly difficult to slate a player and call him piss poor when he hasn't even featured.

I can call Valencia or Cleverley piss poor, they have played enough for a decent sample size. I can even say Kagawa has been crap, at least he has been on the field to disappoint.

But Nani? Anderson? They haven't featured in any meaningful sense, for all we know if they had been given a run of games like Valencia or Cleverley they could actually have delivered. Or maybe they would have been crap, but we just don't know. Might as well say Zaha has been piss poor.

Nani has played 8 PL matches and a few Cup/European games. He has been poor in all. Now, lets not jump to radical decisions on Nani, the boy has been injured? OK, lets look back at the last 24/36 months. Nani had one great season in 7 years......he's been, on a whole, well below average. He has had his chance....no, CHANCES.....and he has yet to do anything that would determine him a success at United. Basing my statement on his form over his United career, I would say it's not too radical at all.

Zaha? Zaha hasn't had a chance. At all. You can't compare Nani and Zaha's situations. At all.

PS EDIT: I'll admit , slight harshness on the term 'success' - he has won medals etc. But he does warrant another chance. If he is sold, I'll be delighted to see the back of him. Best thing was getting him a long term contract, and push the value up. Adios.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

His posts offer nothing constructive anymore. Ever since last summer he's done nothing but slate the club and manager at every turn because we didn't sign who he wanted. Like you say he will find a negative in everything. Now he has lined up an reason to further slate Moyes if we go for Mata and you can bet if we don't go for Mata he will take issue with that also. Even though we have Rooney, Kagawa, Adnan and if needs be Fellaini in the Ozil/Mata position.

He reminds me of a kid throwing a fit because his mom would not buy him a new toy.

Moyes managed everton for a decade. Played United at least twice every season. Everton under Moyes were famously vigorous in their scouting of the opposition - from team issues such as formations and styles of play, to individual player - the positions they played, the average positions in which they picked the ball up, their statistical usage of the ball from that position, the runs they make - ALL of their strengths and weaknesses.

Regardless of what Moyes has said in press conferences, I would be shocked if he didn't have detailed knowledge of our players from his time as Everton manager. They way he set his team up against us demanded that knowledge, as it would for every competent manager.

Nevermind the average joe knowing United's problems, collectively as a team and individually with players (not just United fans - ask Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, City etc fans) - a highly paid and highly professional manager coming up against United regularly would certainly have know too.

I don't get this. If Nani wanted to leave why did he even sign a new 5 year contract? It would have been lot easier to leave with only 6 months left on his contract.

For all sorts of reasons.

I'd imagine that IF Nani is forcing through a move, the writing has been on the wall he was leaving, and all the talk was just smoke start of the season.

Signs a new contract and he gets a lovely signing bonus, on his package probably close to a million if not tipping over. We get the benefit of selling him on for a premium, and not having him walk out the door. Freshly signed contract, player of his ability = £20m+ in the modern market.

• Advertisement

but not in a 442. Kagawa has been asked to play as a traditional left midfielder, with all the defensive work that entails - a left sided Valencia in a way.

Mata has not, imo, performed the same role for Valencia or Chelsea, and would be wasted doing it.

IMO, there is a difference between playing left side of a support 3 and left side of a midfield 4. Kagawa, Mata, Silva, Nasri, Hazard, Ozil can play wide in a support 3 with the freedom that role (and the defensively supporting 2 central midfielders) gives - I don't think any of them are suited to the wide role of a conventional midfield 4, as players like Giggs, Beckham, Sharpe, Valencia are/were.
    Formations, and tactics, certainly matter. If your argument discounts that from the start, there is no point to continuing this.

Do you honestly think the roles of Ronaldo and Valencia on the right side of the United team were the same? Do you honestly think they were both told to do the same things tactically? Do you honestly think the formation and way we played with Ronaldo and Valencia on the right side of our team are/were the same?

I just don't buy that.

How you deploy a player is vital.

I said formations are of no use and never said anything about Tactics. Kagawa starting on the left wing doesn't mean he plays as traditional winger and it was posted lot of times where he spends most of the mins (in the midfield, not as LW).

Silva played on the left side in the midfield 4 and RW was Milner. That doesn't mean Silva was asked to play traditional winger role and I don't count that as 4-4-2 either.

Valencia starts on the right and always hug the touch line and helps defensively whereas Kagawa starts as Lw but moves centrally most of the times. So it's not a 4-4-2 that looks like on a paper. You can check heat map for confirmation or form whoscored.com you can check average position of each player.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Signs a new contract and he gets a lovely signing bonus, on his package probably close to a million if not tipping over.

But surely that signing bonus would be dwarfed by any signing on fee he could have gotten from another team as a free agent?

Moyes managed everton for a decade. Played United at least twice every season. Everton under Moyes were famously vigorous in their scouting of the opposition - from team issues such as formations and styles of play, to individual player - the positions they played, the average positions in which they picked the ball up, their statistical usage of the ball from that position, the runs they make - ALL of their strengths and weaknesses.

Regardless of what Moyes has said in press conferences, I would be shocked if he didn't have detailed knowledge of our players from his time as Everton manager. They way he set his team up against us demanded that knowledge, as it would for every competent manager.

Nevermind the average joe knowing United's problems, collectively as a team and individually with players (not just United fans - ask Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, City etc fans) - a highly paid and highly professional manager coming up against United regularly would certainly have know too.

I think there's a big difference between knowing enough about a squad's setup, strengths and weaknesses in order to play against them and knowing enough about the individual players to know what you get get out of them when you set up a team using them.

Unless you were scouting a player with the intention of buying them, I don't think you'd have that kind of knowledge.

Again, remember that a manager in the PL has 19 regular opponents. It's not possible to keep track of ~500 players up to that level of detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sportwitness:
    O Jogo say Manchester United are confident they can complete Garay signing in 2 to 3 days, so are concentrating on others first

The Independent (UK) are saying we are in for Hamsik,looks like he wants to move and Napoli will accept £25 million.He's in super form this season too.

zerks wrote: »
    Sportwitness:

The Independent (UK) are saying we are in for Hamsik,looks like he wants to move and Napoli will accept £25 million.He's in super form this season too.

Would love to get Hamsik. And the chap's got great hair. :)

Although I believe Benitez said he wouldn't be going anywhere?

Again, remember that a manager in the PL has 19 regular opponents. It's not possible to keep track of ~500 players up to that level of detail.

Yes, it is. Teams are employed and databases created for exactly this reason. Scouting reports on opposition are incredibly detailed - both in written reports and video files.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Sportwitness:

Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Would love to get Hamsik. And the chap's got great hair. :)

Although I believe Benitez said he wouldn't be going anywhere?

But did Rafa say "he wouldn't be leaving and that's a fact" :)

Yes, it is. Teams are employed and databases created for exactly this reason. Scouting reports on opposition are incredibly detailed - both in written reports and video files.

Do you honestly reckon you'd be prepared to waltz into a title winning club and start making changes day one on the basis of scouting reports, before getting to know the squad yourself? I don't think I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Bye Bye Anderson, let the clear-out commence

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25719015

Just to clarify - I would be delighted if we signed Mata, as long as we also changed our style of play to accomodate him.

At the same time, I don't get why we wouldn't sign Ozil in a relatively easy transfer, but go for Mata six months later when the problems of accommodating the players is the same.

I want United to change style, and I feel a player of Mata's style is required, and may herald it - but I do worry that Moyes doesn't seen an issue with our current style, that he sees our problem being poor crosses rather than predictable crosses.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement