Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

is the anderson deal only a loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

All this talk about players but yet not a single player bought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

master-t wrote: »
    The English game as a whole didn't suit Veron. He flopped at United and Chelsea lets not forget.

QUOTE]

I agree the Veron and Kagawa sitaution are similar . Kagawa was signed by Fergie with an aim to sit in behind Rooney. The late availability of RVP completely shot this plan, and we were now in possesion of a strong no.10, but now without a position (how can you drop Rooney when on form? )

Veron arrived in order to sit into our midfield and provide an injection of energy and control. Unfortunately for him, Scholes really rose to promise,and it was tough not to play both him and Keane. This led to a simular situation of putting a square peg in a round hole.

An example of two players who were bought for purpose, but something somewhat better happened that completely scuppered them and their chance. Which is a pity on both fronts.

I honestly think Chelsea is where Kags needs to show his worth. He most likely will play in the no..10 role and if he can kick on from Swansea where he looked lovely in that spot, he might just lay a claim to it. With RVp someways behind Rooney in recovery, it's entirely possible that when Rooney returns, Kagawa will still hold the spot, and Rooney playing furthest forward. Keeps up some good form and it eases the pressure on getting RVP back, and can ensure he is given plenty of time to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Isn't Hamsik more of an number 10 then a classic midfielder? Hardly what we need.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/marek-hamsik/profil/spieler_38593.html?from=direktErgebnis

Attacking midfielder
    Central midfielder
    striker

In that order are the roles he can play in a team.

Veron had a bad attitude though, he never took English lessons or anything, I don't see how he would necessarily be a good fit now that the league has changed. Take Ronaldo, his English improved dramatically over the years as has Vidic's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheDoc wrote: »
    And it wasn't so long ago he was breathtaking.

Actually, it is so long ago. Years ago in fact.
    Players standards in training can really have an influence on selection which is an obvious point. Valencia has been doing extra workloads this seasons in relation to his game, probably impress'.

I've said this before, at what point did performance in training become more important than performance in games? Valencia isn't getting a Premier league training winners medal at the end of the season. I can just imagine the thought process, "He has been crap all season, but he worked hard in training last night so I have to pick him again".
    And in certain circumstances dropping a player can have a detrimental effect, so its not always the solution. The idea is probably to keep giving him chances until he gains his confidence back and starts firing on all cyclinders.
    Again, we are talking years here, not a few bad games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bullvine wrote: »
    is the anderson deal only a loan?

Ya with option to buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wilfred Zaha stormed out of a meeting with Manchester United officials on Thursday following a "furious shouting match" after being told the club had changed their minds about allowing him to leave on loan this month, Goal can reveal.

Zaha and his advisor were stunned to hear that United manager David Moyes had vetoed a potential loan move for the winger amid interest from a number of Premier League sides including Newcastle, Cardiff and West Brom.

http://www.goal.com/en-my/news/3890/england/2014/01/17/4550157/furious-zaha-storms-out-of-manchester-united-training-ground

He porked your daughter, David. No need to try to ruin his career because of it.

J. Marston wrote: »
    He porked your daughter, David. No need to try to ruin his career because of it.

Do you believe everything you read in the papers?

Zaha/Moyes daughter was non runner.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Any ould sca from the Uncle Kew???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I was joking.

But what is Moyes problem with Zaha then? If he has no intention of playing him, fair enough, but why waste a year of the guys career? People might say he has plans for him in the second half of the season but he's given no indication whatsoever that's he going to be an important player.

Loan him out somewhere, let him try to develop.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Any ould sca from the Uncle Kew???

Not a thing sorry.

Only thing I was told(last month) was Evra was not going be sold in January like some papers were saying, but dont think thats much news. Kinda obvious.

I was joking.

But what is Moyes problem with Zaha then? If he has no intention of playing him, fair enough, but why waste a year of the guys career? People might say he has plans for him in the second half of the season but he's given no indication whatsoever that's he going to be an important player.

I agree to extent. He deserves a chance at the club. I will agree with you there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Anyone else find the sound of keyboard taps excruciating when hungover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Anyone else find the sound of keyboard taps excruciating when hungover?

So what you're saying is we signed a CM?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I was joking.

maybe with the talk of nani leaving (if true) he may view that he has moved up the pecking order and might start playing him more or maybe that goal thing is a load of nonsense and he is still going out on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Where's Mikey T and his Winnie the Pooh transfers? Complete slacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

magnumbud wrote: »
    maybe with the talk of nani leaving (if true) he may view that he has moved up the pecking order and might start playing him more or maybe that goal thing is a load of nonsense and he is still going out on loan

But then both Nani and Young have been injured for a few weeks (Nani for longer) and Zaha still hasn't had a look in.

It has to be very frustrating.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Where's Mikey T and his Winnie the Pooh transfers? Complete slacker.

Eeyore committed suicide I reckon...

The poster who posted about Lallana, has he posted anything recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Moyes on Rooney: "He's training, doing some running & looking good. I don't want to put a date on his return."

On Robin van Persie, the boss says: "I'm hoping Robin has a good chance of training at the start of next week. It would be a great boost."

https://twitter.com/ManUtd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Comparing Mata playing out wide at Chelsea and players playing wide for United is ridiculous.

We are rigid and lack any tactics other than crossing it, when someone was coming on in one of the recent games to play left wing (think it was Kagawa) Round was gesturing up and down the line to him when he was getting his pep talk on the line. That basically sums it up.

This player interchanging, fluid football sounds amazing in theory but we never do it.

And it's no coincidence the best football we've played this season has been with Kagawa in the hole and Januzaj on the pitch as well.

so, unless he is lying (as he tends to do) Moyes confirms Rooney and RVP are out with those comments.

Figured they would be, but really can't see anything other than an easy Chelsea win on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Comparing Mata playing out wide at Chelsea and players playing wide for United is ridiculous.

We are rigid and lack any tactics other than crossing it, when someone was coming on in one of the recent games to play left wing (think it was Kagawa) Round was gesturing up and down the line to him when he was getting his pep talk on the line. That basically sums it up.

This player interchanging, fluid football sounds amazing in theory but we never do it.

And it's no coincidence the best football we've played this season has been with Kagawa in the hole and Januzaj on the pitch as well.

Kagawa doesn't hug touch line like a typical winger. You can check by yourself where he spends most of the time in whoscored.com

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/720681/MatchReport/England-Premier-League-2013-2014-Manchester-United-Swansea

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/789685/MatchReport/England-FA-Cup-2013-2014-Manchester-United-Swansea

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/776526/MatchReport/Europe-UEFA-Champions-League-2013-2014-Manchester-United-Shakhtar-Donetsk

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/720434/MatchReport/England-Premier-League-2013-2014-Norwich-Manchester-United

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/776524/MatchReport/Europe-UEFA-Champions-League-2013-2014-Bayer-Leverkusen-Manchester-United

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/720206/MatchReport/England-Premier-League-2013-2014-Tottenham-Manchester-United

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Looking at the "Five ways United can Beat Chelsea" on F365, they mention that man-marking Hazard could be the thing to do. But this would leave the other CM (Carrick) very vulnerable.

So if Jones, as they suggest, would mark Hazard. That should mean a 3 man CM with Carrick and Fellaini/Clevs/Fletcher.

Playing a form of 4-5-1 or 4-3-2-1 would be the best way if Jones was used that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is Jones not still injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I've been waiting on this statement, Moyes On Fletcher: We didn't think he would come back,' the manager added. 'The fact he has come back is like having a new player......

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Happy to see Anderson going anyway and good luck to him. Delighted we clearing out the deadwood move on Nani now aswell...frees up wages to put to better use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Delboy5 wrote: »
    I've been waiting on this statement, Moyes On Fletcher: We didn't think he would come back,' the manager added. 'The fact he has come back is like having a new player......

That's exactly what it is like though.

• Advertisement

Looking at the "Five ways United can Beat Chelsea" on F365, they mention that man-marking Hazard could be the thing to do. But this would leave the other CM (Carrick) very vulnerable.

So if Jones, as they suggest, would mark Hazard. That should mean a 3 man CM with Carrick and Fellaini/Clevs/Fletcher.

Playing a form of 4-5-1 or 4-3-2-1 would be the best way if Jones was used that way.

I love their tactical features like that ahead of the big games. The option to play Janners in the no.10 slot, to draw the mistakes and clumpsy fouls out of Luiz was also intruiging.

Is Jones not still out injured? The boy has such an engine he could nearly man mark two people. But at the same time he needs to start being played at CB, and not filling gaps in CM. He has essentially lost two seasons of developement time

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lallana and Shaw are really rumours due to the situation at Southampton.

The speculation is Shaw is available for £30 million, then let the bidding war begin....expensive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

What about the poster who posted about Carrick being out there before Christmas. Anything from him?

(Guys should be given a chance to prove themselves right or wrong before getting jumped on)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Is Jones not still injured?

Talk is that himself and Fellaini took part in full training today. Seen it on Twitter, FB.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2541243/Wayne-Rooney-MISS-Chelsea-trip-David-Moyes-handed-double-fitness-boost-Marouane-Fellaini-Phil-Jones-contention.html
    It's Daily Mail, take what you want from it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Al Capwned wrote: »
    What about the poster who posted about Carrick being out there before Christmas. Anything from him?

(Guys should be given a chance to prove themselves right or wrong before getting jumped on)

I think the Lallana guy and the Carrick guy are one and the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jose said Matic wouldnt start and Lampard is back.

Will probably see our midfield line out with Mikel and Ramires in CM.

Given what he said I'd expect

Cech
    Azp Cahill/Luiz JT Cole
    Mikel Ramires
    Willian Oscar Hazard
    Torres

jose :
    'Read the match programme, my notes,' he said. 'I start by saying we don't play against a team that are 11 points behind the leader, we play against the champions, we play against Manchester United.

On many occasions, the team that looks to be in the most difficult situation appears stronger in the match, that's why I consider this game especially dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I was at the Swansea game last week and Januzaj was the only quality (outfield) player on the pitch. Big reinforcements are needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's Daily Mail, take what you want from it!

That'll be nothing then. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

'Read the match programme, my notes,' he said. 'I start by saying we don't play against a team that are 11 points behind the leader, we play against the champions, we play against Manchester United.

On many occasions, the team that looks to be in the most difficult situation appears stronger in the match, that's why I consider this game especially dangerous.

Take it from that statement he'll be bringing the bus along.I hope so 'cos if Chelsea decide to go all out attack against us we'll be in trouble.

That's exactly what it is like though.

Agreed 100%

People have short memories, Fletcher was somewhat struggling in his United career until out of the blue he became a midfield machine who was a critical component when it came to the big European ties and crunch league matches. Get him back 100% and we will have a massive asset, that won't let people overload him or just dance their way through. That bit of steel and guts that's been missing.

zerks wrote: »
    Take it from that statement he'll be bringing the bus along.I hope so 'cos if Chelsea decide to go all out attack against us we'll be in trouble.

Not a chance at home, away against the big teams, ya, but not at home.

As long as we play like we did against Liverpool, bar going behind in the first 4mins, the blue print will be hard work without the ball and plenty of possesion when we have.

He wont go defensive at home, he hasnt all season, even against City.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »

You know when I think back the years, when it has come to a big game and the odds are stacked against us, and everything looks to be going wrong, we have sprung some serious suprises.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if we got a result, just as I wouldn't be broken hearted if we lost. But when our backs are against the wall and the talk as if the stands around OT are about to crumble, the club just does incredible things. I'm kinda still waiting for that "cataclyst" i keep talking about what will make things click into place, and moments like this, are one you wonder if maybe this is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I wouldn't be totally shocked if we got a result, just as I wouldn't be broken hearted if we lost. But when our backs are against the wall and the talk as if the stands around OT are about to crumble, the club just does incredible things. I'm kinda still waiting for that "cataclyst" i keep talking about the makes things click into place, and moments like this, are one you wonder if maybe this is the one.

Careful Doc, you're in danger of setting yourself up for a miserable, broken-hearted Sunday evening. ;)

You know when I think back the years, when it has come to a big game and the odds are stacked against us, and everything looks to be going wrong, we have sprung some serious suprises.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if we got a result, just as I wouldn't be broken hearted if we lost. But when our backs are against the wall and the talk as if the stands around OT are about to crumble, the club just does incredible things. I'm kinda still waiting for that "cataclyst" i keep talking about the makes things click into place, and moments like this, are one you wonder if maybe this is the one.

I wouldnt be taking Utd for granted anyway, this is far from a gimme, we've played much better since losing to Sunderland in the Capital 1 cup, home and away, but this is Utd coming to town, its a huge game as both have to win IMO.

Us, to kee in touch with City/Arsenal and Utd to catch 4th, a win at the Bridge for Utd would be huge for confidence, given a lot of pundits arent giving them much hope, a loss wouldnt be the end of the world, theres still what, 14/15 games left in the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed to see us go with Jones, Fletch and Carrick across the middle with Adnan, Valencia (would prefer another but not looking likely) supporting Welbeck.

Sit and attempt to hit them on the break. Given Rooney and RVP are out, if we try and go blow for blow with Chelsea then we're going to be outgunned badly. Keep it tight as a unit, and when we break get a lot of guys forward with Welbeck holding it up top.

I'm struggling to see any other way we win this game.

I think the Lallana guy and the Carrick guy are one and the same.

yeah, it was indeed!

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I wouldnt be taking Utd for granted anyway, this is far from a gimme, we've played much better since losing to Sunderland in the Capital 1 cup, home and away, but this is Utd coming to town, its a huge game as both have to win IMO.

Us, to kee in touch with City/Arsenal and Utd to catch 4th, a win at the Bridge for Utd would be huge for confidence, given a lot of pundits arent giving them much hope, a loss wouldnt be the end of the world, theres still what, 14/15 games left in the season?

From a United perspective, I appreciate and in smoe regards am fearful of your attacking options, they are scary when all on the same page. And previously would have seen little opportunities. but even while our goalscoring form has been poor, can't help but feel this is a somewhat weak Chelsea defence, that I hope we exploit by going balls to the wall attacking.

Would make, if anything less, a fantastic game to watch, with both teams trying to exploit the others somewhat shaky defence :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Anyone else sad to see Anderson go? He had loads of potential, he was never really a central midfielder and never got a chance to play in his natural position. I'm disappointed he's gone and I hope he does well because I think he got a bit of a raw deal at the club.

Red Crow wrote: »
    Anyone else sad to see Anderson go? He had loads of potential, he was never really a central midfielder and never got a chance to play in his natural position. I'm disappointed he's gone and I hope he does well because I think he got a bit of a raw deal at the club.

Raw deal? I keep saying, there is only one explanation for a player who constantly suffers from niggly injuries and cant get back fitness...and it's not being unlucky.

The only people that got a raw deal where the clubs payroll staff having to give him tens of thousands a week for nothing, and the fans for him giving us a little tease once a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Utd are as long as 40/1 for the title.

any of you going to have a flutter? :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Raw deal? I keep saying, there is only one explanation for a player who constantly suffers from niggly injuries and cant get back fitness...and it's not being unlucky.

What is it then?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement