Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Totally unexcited by this news. Do like the quip re Everton. Hypothetical question but if you put Fellani up for sale now would you get 10 million for him?

We would get more then 10 million for him. Obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

ya i think fellaine needs to be given a chance. was a quality mf at everton. not his fault we overpaid for him. hopefully a run of games now and we will see the fellaini that destroyed us at the start of last season. he was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Less than 2 weeks left before the window closes. It's not looking good for a midfielder. Although shipping Anderson out has given me a glimmer of hope we might get in somebody.

If we don't sign anyone for the middle I hope we at least recall Powell. He mightn't be a proper cm, but Knowing our luck with injuries we'll need some sort of cover for the rest of the season.

jesse lingard is around as well isnt he? he had a very good pre season and loan spell. still think we need proven quality and experience to get us to 4th this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

If recalling Powell or playing Lingard is the plan, we are in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

keano2012 wrote: »
    jesse lingard is around as well isnt he? he had a very good pre season and loan spell. still think we need proven quality and experience to get us to 4th this season

Lingard will hopefully go back on loan, be nice to get him a decent premier league team but if not a good championship team would be good. Cant see how he fits in really season, or next in all likelihood unless he improves a lot. Very nice footballer though and I hope he proves me wrong in time.

He needs to be playing every week against good opposition now I feel to progress, obviously training with better players would be helpful too. I have never been able to see a place for him in the first team realistically but if he gets to play every week at a good level who knows? He may surprise people

He is certainly not any form of answer for a centre midfield problem though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

New theory to console myself...

Moyes is waiting till after we lose to Chelsea to announce new signings, in the hopes it distracts us from the fact Jose beat us....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Fellani used to play as a striker for everton for a while didn`t he and did alright?

Had a daft thought that united could play him and welbeck up front against chelsea since Rooney and RVP are out - until I realised Fellani is still out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Back in 2005

Freddy Guarin and Edixon Perea won me the quadruple in FM

He must be deadly sure!

He was rubbish against Ireland a few years back, both of them were.

I'm not sure Lingard would be a massive help. His best position is left wing and I don't think he offers much through the middle.

Powell on the other hand can play as an advanced attacking midfielder and in the likely event we don't sign someone I think he needs to be recalled. I know his best position is a no.10 but I'd prefer him playing amc instead of Lingard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Zaha cant get a game and Moyes refuses to send him on loan....
    F**k off Moyes.

Zaha cant get a game and Moyes refuses to send him on loan....
    F**k off Moyes.

Yeah its a weird one that.

Heard/Read somewhere that he doesn't want him to go down to London. Surely there is other decent clubs that would take him for 3-6 months opp naowhth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

It's clearly obvious that zaha is not allowed to on loan because of injuries, I also reckon nani might be shipped out this window

It's clearly obvious that zaha is not allowed to on loan because of injuries, I also reckon nani might be shipped out this window

Wha!First I've heard about injury worries for Zaha and Nani just signed a new deal and is injured.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Trilla wrote: »
    Wha!First I've heard about injury worries for Zaha and Nani just signed a new deal and is injured.
    Because of injuries to other players.... As in, we need the numbers.

United selling Nani while keeping Young and Valencia would be like a one legged man selling his leg while keeping his crutches.

Retardation of the purest form IMO.

Quandary wrote: »
    United selling Nani while keeping Young and Valencia would be like a one legged man selling his leg while keeping his crutches.

Retardation of the purest form IMO.

Nani has hardly lit the premiership alight in the last 2 seasons, he's had one good season in 7 years, get rid of them all I say.

Nani has hardly lit the premiership alight in the last 2 seasons, he's had one good season in 7 years, get rid of them all I say.

A fully fit Nani given a decent run of games in his best position on the right is one of the best wingers in the premier league IMO.

If he was given half the chance that Valencia was we would have some player in our first team.

Anytime I see a fully fit Nani on the bench with Valencia starting RW it makes me a sad panda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

A fully fit Nani given a decent run of games in his best position on the right is one of the best wingers in the premier league IMO.

If he was given half the chance that Valencia was we would have some player in our first team.

Anytime I see a fully fit Nani on the bench with Valencia starting RW it makes me a sad panda.

That's not true at all. As the previous poster said, one good season does not make up for being for the most part poor for the last few years.

You can't praise nani and slate Valencia in the one sentence, both had one good season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Monday is a massive game. Liverpool should win today and move 8 points clear and i can't see us winning Sunday. A victory tomorrow could give the team the belief but i can't see it without Rooney. On tomorrow i think we will get slaughtered down the left hand side if Janjuaz starts in front of Evra. I hope to see Wellbeck on the left wing doing a job like against Madrid, move Janjuaz central and bench Kagawa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Make or beak Sunday for us

You can't praise nani and slate Valencia in the one sentence, both had one good season

Disagree.

Nani's first season was decent, 2011-12 and 2010-11 were on a par with that also
    Headshot wrote: »
    Make or beak Sunday for us

Hopefully it will be make, for obvious reasons and also that the negative regurgitation decreases in here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The Nani debate again.....

He is always injured now and plays the odd game badly every few months because his injuries are destroying his form. His time is up. He is far superior than Valencia but not if he is on the treatment table. Young is the same, always injured. United have the most injury prone squad ever. They need to go. There's no competition for places at United because there's never even close to a fully fit squad. That needs to change. Nani leaving would have no impact on the team because he has barely played for two years.

Montroseee wrote: »
    That's not true at all. As the previous poster said, one good season does not make up for being for the most part poor for the last few years.

In the last few years he hasn't been given a fair crack at playing RW. The vast majority of his poor games have been when he has played LW.

Like I said, if he got the chances Valencia gets he would be a huge player for us.

In the last 2 years Valencia has been extremely average and often times very poor for us. Despite this poor form he gets picked because of his work rate. His ability to beat a man is embarrassingly poor for a winger, and on the off chance he overlaps and gets on the end of a ball his crosses are just not good enough. His reliance on his right foot makes him even more predictable.

At the very least with Nani you have a player who can cut back and cross with his left leg if need be.

When(if) Nani gets back to full fitness lets see Moyes give him a decent run of games on the right. He can't possibly be much worse than Valencia, and if he is, we'll then sell him. But at least give the man a chance to prove what he can (or can't) do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Anyone watching Gillette soccer saturday now on SS1? They are really sticking it to UTD ahead of the Chelsea game.

Basically they said none of the UTD team tomorrow would get in the Chelsea line up. We have lost our fear factor and when teams are in the tunnel looking across at the UTD squad they think "I'll have you today" where as in the past you used to fear the UTD squad. They also said what a star Januzaj was but how we over rely on him. UTD teams never did that and its not like UTD to rely on one player let alone a teenager.

Stelling, Le Tissier, Merson and Thompson were all of this opinion

They also had chuckle at Jose's comment about how he expects UTD to sell Rooney in the summer to a non direct rival. They laughed how Joes had to then apologise about the comment but it wasn't a mistake it was good mind games.

Charlie Nicholas was the only one who had some positives, he said its still UTD, still the champions and they are hurt and will have a point to prove. He mentioned how Chelsea parked the bus at OT but tomorrow they will be more open and it could help UTD.

I know its a Liverpool and Arseneal panel but it was interesting to see such an opinion of us

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Stelling, Le Tissier, Merson and Thompson were all of this opinion

I really wouldn't listen to opinions from any of those. I love soccer saturday when the 3 o clock matches are on but for genuine insights they are hopeless.

I know its a Liverpool and Arseneal panel but it was interesting to see such an opinion of us

In fairness, with our injuries and how we have played for the vast majority of games this season it's accurate IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Saw this on Andy Mitten's twitter, have skipped a few pages of posts so apologies if already posted.

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/this-united-red-issue-united-we-stand-red-news-joe-molloy-newstalk-tickets-10133576801
    ‘This United’ with John-Paul O’Neill (Red Issue), Andy Mitten (United We Stand), Barney Chilton (Red News) and host Joe Molloy [Off The Ball, Newstalk FM).

An insiders fanzine viewpoint and audience Q&A of one of the most crucial periods in the modern history of Manchester United Football Club...David Moyes, Sir Alex Ferguson, the owners, the players, the future, the club. United, This United.

+

Screening: Juventus Vs. Manchester United, Stadio Delle Alpi,Champions League Semi-final 2nd Leg. 1999

Only 13.50 euro, myself and the brother are heading along

• Advertisement

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    I really wouldn't listen to opinions from any of those. I love soccer saturday when the 3 o clock matches are on but for genuine insights they are hopeless.

Oh I totally agree but they've never been this negative before
    In fairness, with our injuries and how we have played for the vast majority of games this season it's accurate IMO.

It was a mixture of over the top with some harsh truths in there. Obviously if Rooney and RVP were in the squad we would have players who could get in the Chelsea team. Januzaj and Vidic also, maybe

i'd take de gea over cech now as well to be honest.

Moyes on Zaha

The Old Trafford boss dismissed claims Zaha had stormed out of a meeting, which was alleged to have ended in a shouting match after the winger was told by his manager he couldn’t go out on loan
    In fact, Moyes revealed he WILL let the England international go out to get some starts... just as soon as he has cover.

“Wilfried Zaha has a chance [of facing Chelsea]. I have told him that if I can’t get him the games I will put him out on loan,” he explained.

“But he can’t go out while we have Ashley Young and Nani injured - and I would be surprised if anyone thought that was a possibility.

“Did he storm off? I had 30 seconds chat on the training pitch today and we were talking away. So there was nothing like that.

“That is what I have indicated to the boy - maybe towards the end of the window if others are fit. But he is a Manchester United player, that’s what he is.”

If we have an interest in Adam Lallana I'd be happy to sign him. Watched a bit of him this year and I think he's a good solid player. He doesn't hug the touchline as much as Valencia either so I think him and Januzaj either side of Rooney would be a very exciting front 3 behind RVP.

If we could raid Southampton in the Summer for him and Shaw I'd be very happy with that. Could cost the guts of £40 million but bringing in two homegrown players and adding some quality foreigners would be a good balance of a Summer transfer window. Can't just flood the squad with foreign players.

GSPfan wrote: »
    If we have an interest in Adam Lallana I'd be happy to sign him. Watched a bit of him this year and I think he's a good solid player. He doesn't hug the touchline as much as Valencia either so I think him and Januzaj either side of Rooney would be a very exciting front 3 behind RVP.

If we could raid Southampton in the Summer for him and Shaw I'd be very happy with that. Could cost the guts of £40 million but bringing in two homegrown players and adding some quality foreigners would be a good balance of a Summer transfer window. Can't just flood the squad with foreign players.

i like lallana as well but i'd dont think he is top quality- a good squad player but not what we need now. would you see city, chelsea, madrid, barca, munich even arsenal trying to sign him. i doubted. we need top drawer- someone like a sneijder a couple of years ago would be perfect. we already tried premiership players in the midfield i.e young and valencia and it hasnt worked too well imo. dont want to be overloaded with average squad players

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

bedrock#1 wrote: »
    Saw this on Andy Mitten's twitter, have skipped a few pages of posts so apologies if already posted.

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/this-united-red-issue-united-we-stand-red-news-joe-molloy-newstalk-tickets-10133576801

Only 13.50 euro, myself and the brother are heading along
    13.50 to sit in a room and listen to nobodies talk about united?

Na you're grand thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I would buy Shaw but I don't think Lallana would be much of a step up from what we have and I presume Southampton would be looking for a hefty fee.He is a good solid player but if you want to be challenging you need better than him.United need 3 or 4 players to be bought in the next 6/7 months that will go straight into the team ,we have plenty of squad players.
    If Di Maria is available from Real he would be a fantastic buy imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

i like lallana as well but i'd dont think he is top quality- a good squad player but not what we need now. would you see city, chelsea, madrid, barca, munich even arsenal trying to sign him. i doubted. we need top drawer- someone like a sneijder a couple of years ago would be perfect. we already tried premiership players in the midfield i.e young and valencia and it hasnt worked too well imo. dont want to be overloaded with average squad players

I have no problem signing players like Lallana as squad players but only if Valencia and Young are moved on. Getting in say Lallana and Cabaye would improve our chances of top 4 and wouldn't be very expensive. Then in the summer try get in say Draxler and Vidal and having players like Cabaye and Lallana as rotation players would put us in good shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

IIf we could raid Southampton in the Summer

Take that Barca!

Oh yeah I agree. He's not a world beater but we have been linked to him so I would be happy enough if he signed. It's hard to attract the big players these days. I defo think he would be a solid squad player and I'd be happy to bring him in with the funds raised from selling Valencia and Young. Get rid of two mediocre players for one decent player. He'd be more use than both combined.

Take that Barca!

Ha. Well if you add that bit you quoted with the bit that says Get in some top quality foreign players then your statement looks a bit thick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Asbury Park

Would agree that Lallana is not of the standard Utd need, although he is a good player. Anyone have any opinions on Lovren, now that we're talking Southampton players and we seem to be in the market for a centre back? Read that some bigger clubs passed on him before he made the move to Southampton but I've been impressed when I've seen him and he's weighing in with the odd goal (one today)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Two and a half good seasons. The second half of 09/10, 10/11 and 11/12. All of that good form coincides with him getting regular game time. In the other seasons he didn't get anything like regular games.

If the squad is gonna get an overhaul in the Summer it can't just be all top quality players in their prime brought in. It will have to include some good squad players happy to play that role. You won't have a happy squad if we buy top players from top teams in europe and they don't get big game time. You need a few Lallana's in a squad. I'm only using him as an example because we have been linked with him.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Two and a half good seasons. The second half of 09/10, 10/11 and 11/12. All of that good form coincides with him getting regular game time. In the other seasons he didn't get anything like regular games.

Injuries and him being crap has filled those other 4 and a half years. To over look that and cling to the 2 and a half good years is no arguement to keep him. He'll be superb for another team but he isn't helping United. Get some money for him and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

If the squad is gonna get an overhaul in the Summer it can't just be all top quality players in their prime brought in. It will have to include some good squad players happy to play that role. You won't have a happy squad if we buy top players from top teams in europe and they don't get big game time. You need a few Lallana's in a squad. I'm only using him as an example because we have been linked with him.

i would say the squad is not in the worst position but more that the first team needs to be a whole lot better(and so the players replaced becoming squad players)

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I have no problem signing players like Lallana as squad players but only if Valencia and Young are moved on. Getting in say Lallana and Cabaye would improve our chances of top 4 and wouldn't be very expensive. Then in the summer try get in say Draxler and Vidal and having players like Cabaye and Lallana as rotation players would put us in good shape.

Cabaye would be gettable alright but I could see Pardew holding out for a fee in excess of £25m. I could see Lallana going for close to £20m also with him being English etc...

I agree with you though. At this stage, if we overpay by a few million, it's not a big price to pay if it gives us the lift we need to get into the top 4.

At the end of the day, we are on of the most profitable clubs in world football. It's time to start shelling out now that our backs are against the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Injuries and him being crap has filled those other 4 and a half years. To over look that and cling to the 2 and a half good years is no arguement to keep him. He'll be superb for another team but he isn't helping United. Get some money for him and move on.

He hasn't been crap. You are talking bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I dont think the squad is the problem ,we have a good squad but we need a few players for the first xi.
    If we sign a LB that will be a direct replacement for Evra ,a CM and RW are needed and if we signed 2 top quality players it would mean some of the current first teamer's would drop down.Young,Valencia and Cleverley would all be good squad players and would be useful to be called upon when needed.
    There is no way we will buy all top names but 3 first teamer's would make a huge difference and we have plenty of Lallana's already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Take that Barca!

I d be happy to raid southampton considering they ve produced players like bale, walcott ,oxlade chamberlain, shaw lallana etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Cabaye is looking more appealing as we et closer to deadline, looking past the fact he goes missing far too often, I just want a good CM.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement