Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

kryogen wrote: »
    Nope, we just plain and simple pulled the plug on him.

Really? I'm don't particularly remember how the whole thing panned out so I'm happy to be corrected but I found quotes saying otherwise from both the club:
    "We made a tentative approach to getting a work permit and the word we got back from the Home Office was we couldn't get that through in time to get Adem signed in January," said Phelan.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8392789.stm

and Ljajic himself:
    "The reason for the transfer not happening is that I couldn't get a business licence [work permit].
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/6764330/Adem-Ljajic-hits-back-at-Manchester-United-over-scrapped-10m-move.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

McGeady best position seems to be off the striker as displayed against Poland in November.

If you think Valencia cant cross a ball you aint seeing nothing yet. McGeady cant cross the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Chagan wrote: »
    Really? I'm don't particularly remember how the whole thing panned out so I'm happy to be corrected but I found quotes saying otherwise from both the club:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8392789.stm

and Ljajic himself:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/6764330/Adem-Ljajic-hits-back-at-Manchester-United-over-scrapped-10m-move.html

Could they not have loaned him out for a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Devil08 wrote: »
    No and you'd obviously have carrick in there but to have those players in our squad now would be a dream.

Tbh there is no way Morrison would have made it if he stayed at United, he still has a bit to go yet anyway

Adem may not have developed the same way either if he had joined, maybe he would have been largely unused, like his buddy Tosic and left (he has also had his disciplinary issues)

Pogba, huge **** up, absolutely huge, could have saved the club tens of millions, joke of a decision.

Jan, showing bags of potential and talent, he has a manager who is good at nurturing that talent too so hopefully he will become a superstar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Devil08 wrote: »
    Don't know why I'm responding to this. We have 4 very good strikers already. It's our strongest area of the team. Landon Donovan is muck.
    Aiden Mcgeady played in Scotland and Russia, low standard leagues and didn't exactly light them up. He has none of the attributes needed in a Utd player. He is a poor mans Valencia and that's low

Yeah you might have a point. But I digress. This would be a good way to see out the season.

mDtkJ1c.png

With Cattermole you have a real hard dawg to protect the defence. This protection means the likes or Carrick or Fletcher can pick out the passes without worrying about have a weak unreliable link like Cleverley leaving gaping holes. The good thing about McGeady on the right is his ability to cut inside. Donovan would be good backup from the bench or if Rooney got injured. Welbeck is a nothing player.

The work permit was an afterthought
    A United spokesperson said: "We had an option to buy the player but, having closely monitored his development over the past 12 months, and taken into consideration the young players emerging through the ranks at the club, we have not chosen to pursue the transfer."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/dec/03/manchester-united-adem-ljajic-transfer
    That was what United said at the time, why not just say it was a WP issue straight away, why make the above statement?
    United then announced this week , in a statement endorsed by the chief executive David Gill, that they no longer considered Ljajic good enough to make the grade. That, however, was contradicted today by the assistant manager, Mike Phelan, who said it was not because of the player's ability but because of potential work permit problems.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/dec/04/manchester-united-adem-ljajic

Why would David Gill not just say it was a work permit problem?

Neeson wrote: »
    Yeah you might have a point. But I digress. This would be a good way to see out the season.

mDtkJ1c.png

With Cattermole you have a real hard dawg to protect the defence. This protection means the likes or Carrick or Fletcher can pick out the passes without worrying about have a weak unreliable link like Cleverley leaving gaping holes. The good thing about McGeady on the right is his ability to cut inside. Donovan would be good backup from the bench or if Rooney got injured. Welbeck is a nothing player.

You're off your rocker man!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Cattermole is not an upgrade on Fellaini/Carrick/in form Fletcher.

Would not like to see him in a united jersey.

mDtkJ1c.png

In your mind McGeady is left footed?

From following your line of posts and thought process I can only draw the conclusion that you are on the wind up bud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'd rather have Osman.

In your mind McGeady is left footed?

From following your line of posts and thought process I can only draw the conclusion that you are on the wind up bud.

His preferred foot is the right. But he is still good with his left from what we've seen. He's no world beater I'll give you that but a damn sight better and more agile than Valencia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Is Cabella any good? don't really get to see French football.

He's angling for a move to an English club.

Cattermole is not an upgrade on Fellaini/Carrick/in form Fletcher.

Would not like to see him in a united jersey.

He would be a good man to have to stop the leakage in defence.

He would be a good man to have to stop the leakage in defence.

You need something to stop the leakage in your brain! There's a hole there somewhere! I appreciate your views but my god cartermole, mcgeady, and Landon bloody Donovan! I'd be surprised if Sam alardyce signed them cowboys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

WTF has happened this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

WTF has happened this thread?

Coming in here lately...

lDJq0LS.gif

The work permit was an afterthought

That was what United said at the time, why not just say it was a WP issue straight away, why make the above statement?

Why would David Gill not just say it was a work permit problem?

Fair enough, I'm just going on what I saw. The bottom line is United could have had him but they don't and nobody is glad for it.

Considering posters have been criticising Fergie for signing talent at the calibre of Valencia, Young etc., I'd love to see this place if Moyes bought McGeady or Cattermole. The "They'd do a job for us" signings aren't really what we should be looking for and it could be argued those two don't even fit that description.

Chagan wrote: »

Considering posters have been criticising Fergie for signing talent at the calibre of Valencia, Young etc., I'd love to see this place if Moyes bought McGeady or Cattermole. The "They'd do a job for us" signings aren't really what we should be looking for and it could be argued those two don't even fit that description.

But what is needed is a few to do a job. The defence is shaky and until two world class central defenders become available to replace the ageing duo then Cattermole would give them good cover. He is a hard nut. Make no mistake. We've all seen his work. He'd take a good bit out of the attacker before they get to Vidic and Rio.

I think Landon would offer more than Danny Welbeck even. He could be the sort of player the Stretford End will fall in love with. The only issue I see is that he said Everton was his club after having two stints with them. Moyes could be the saving grace to bring him in and he could convince him too.

McGeady is a contentious one. He is a bit hit and miss but superior to the likes of Valencia in my book. He'd certainly ruffle a few feathers. His speed would put fear into the opposition that is for sure. And what is needed now is someone who isn't afraid to show a bit of flair and take on a player - McGeady fits this description.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

But what is needed is a few to do a job. The defence is shaky and until two world class central defenders become available to replace the ageing duo then Cattermole would give them good cover. He is a hard nut. Make no mistake. We've all seen his work. He'd take a good bit out of the attacker before they get to Vidic and Rio.

I think Landon would offer more than Danny Welbeck even. He could be the sort of player the Stretford End will fall in love with. The only issue I see is that he said Everton was his club after having two stints with them. Moyes could be the saving grace to bring him in and he could convince him too.

McGeady is a contentious one. He is a bit hit and miss but superior to the likes of Valencia in my book. He'd certainly ruffle a few feathers. His speed would put fear into the opposition that is for sure. And what is needed now is someone who isn't afraid to show a bit of flair and take on a player - McGeady fits this description.

Are you drunk?

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Are you drunk?

No. I don't see how I am far off though. I don't think there's another Ronaldo on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Out of all ridiculous things I've read in here, this is the most ridiculous

People are disagreeing with me but have no alternative. What is wrong with my lineup?

I disagree. Say we sign McGeady for example, he comes in and does better than Valencia, as any human on the planet would be expected to. We then get to the summer and we'd still need to sign a top quality wideman. Of course we'll then be told by Moyes, and several people on here most likely, that "McGeady made an impact when he joined, does he not deserve a chance?".

Next season rolls around and without the relief of him being better than Valencia, McGeady's various limitations become more apparent. Now instead of Young and Valencia being bang average, we have Young and McGeady being a bit better than average. It's still not good enough to challenge for a title and by next January we're sitting here again bemoaning the fact we aren't attracting world class players.

I get what you're saying, you're looking at a few alternatives that could get us to the summer and wouldn't necessarily break the bank. It makes a change from the usual list of Reus, Gundogan etc. But if we want to properly improve the first XI, I'd say just get the chequebook out and pay extra for the better players. The money spent on buying and paying the stopgap solutions would probably offset the added cost attached to buying in January.

I'm not going to even debate the Cattermole thing. Personally he'd be right up there in my list of most disliked players in the league. Perhaps that's clouding my judgment but I'd consider Lee Cattermole joining to be the point at which the club had finally succumbed to utter mediocrity. Offers nothing other than fouling players, Fellaini is as close to that as I'd like to see to be honest. (I'm not mad about him either, but that's a discussion for a different day.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

People are disagreeing with me but have no alternative. What is wrong with my lineup?

Whats right with it

• Advertisement

Whats right with it

The big benefit for me is having a player of Cattermole's calibre to protect the back four. We all know the defense has taken a bit of a dive. If there was someone like Donovan to take over should Rooney be out for a game or RVP then it would be better cover than the likes of Welbeck who is not great.

Donovan brings experience as well and is used to playing in the league and will play for Moyes. This would be a great thing considering it looks as though half of them can't be arsed playing for the poor man.

Carrick or Fletcher wouldn't have the need to always be looking over their shoulder while playing with Cattermole. He's his own man and can mind himself and take control. I'd say they're anxious when alongside Cleverley.

Cattermole might also make it fucking clear that he'll accept no passengers. The likes of Evra who is messing about and Valencia if he was still there when he arrives. He would be a big voice in the dressing room. Something they seem to lack at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Carrick or Fletcher wouldn't have the need to always be looking over their shoulder while playing with Cattermole. He's his own man and can mind himself and take control. I'd say they're anxious when alongside Cleverley.

Cattermole might also make it fucking clear that he'll accept no passengers. The likes of Evra who is messing about and Valencia if he was still there when he arrives. He would be a big voice in the dressing room. Something they seem to lack at the moment.

LOLing here at Cattermole, I know a good few Sunderland fans and they all seem to think he's muck and limited. Probably is a better option to have then Ando and Clev, scary what the CM has become. In reality for a team like UTD., players like Carrick and Fellaini should be the squad options with 2 top class players ahead of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

United need good players, not relegation dog fighters like Cattermole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Cattermole and Donovan???? Ffs
    Im all for giving Moyes time years but if either of those player ever play for United then he deserves the boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United's play under Fergie:

Bdheom5IgAAMY41.jpg

United's play under Moyes:

BdhexIRIEAABpqN.jpg

Pathetic.

United's play under Fergie:

Bdheom5IgAAMY41.jpg

United's play under Moyes:

BdhexIRIEAABpqN.jpg

Pathetic.
    Of all the pointless stats and graphs out there that has to beat them all.
    You cant be serious.

kippy wrote: »
    Of all the pointless stats and graphs out there that has to beat them all.
    You cant be serious.

Yes I can.

One shows a variation in play, the other shows one tactic - get it wide and cross it in. Considering our wingers are rubbish at crossing, it is a stupid tactic to completely rely on.

I don't see how it is pointless at all - it is a great indication of how out approach and tactics differ significantly from last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Im glad ive seen the above diagram. It tells alot actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Cattermole is one of the most limited players around. My previous housemate was a sunderland fan and we used to watch a lot of games. Useless footballer and very much in the mould of kick first think later. Ki is a better player in that Sunderland midfield. We need a couple of world class players and Cattermole nor Donovan will ever fill that bracket. Also the comment about Carrick being a squad player at best is deeply insulting to the level he has been at over the last few seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Im glad ive seen the above diagram. It tells alot actually.
    If I made one that showed the opposite would you change your mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If I made one that showed the opposite would you change your mind?

Plus is that Fergies reign for what period Vs Moyes 6 months in charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yes I can.

One shows a variation in play, the other shows one tactic - get it wide and cross it in. Considering our wingers are rubbish at crossing, it is a stupid tactic to completely rely on.

I don't see how it is pointless at all - it is a great indication of how out approach and tactics differ significantly from last season.

Samplol size imo

Worst of the worst abuses against stats I've seen in this thread and I don't say that lightly. Mitch you used to have a brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Am I in a nightmare? Cattermole, McGeady, Donovan!! This like when liverpool bought David Speedie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I've never been involved in a relegation scrap. Quite fancy the elated feeling of staying up on last day of the season, probably better than a Championship win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

keane2097 wrote: »
    Samplol size imo

Worst of the worst abuses against stats I've seen in this thread and I don't say that lightly. Mitch you used to have a brain.

What is the sample size, in both cases? Since its clearly an abuse.

Samplol size imo

Its a completely pointless stat alright - shows absolutely nothing of note and there's absolutely no notion of what period the fergie one covered.........
    Completely pointless and an insult to ones intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

What is the sample size, in both cases? Since its clearly an abuse.

The fact that we don't know the answer to that question is the abuse. Useless maps without context.

Samplol size imo

From what I am told it is United from last season vs United from this season.

So a full season vs half a season - not a dissimilar set. Do you think Moyes' approach will differ significantly over the remainder of the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

From what I am told it is United from last season vs United from this season.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

From what you are told, or do u mean read?? Did your mate's draw this up?

Trilla wrote: »
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

A friend of mine read an article on it - that was the info in the article - those are the images from the article that he tweeted this morning.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

bullvine wrote: »
    This like when liverpool bought David Speedie!

The same David Speedie that scored against Utd on his debut at Old Trafford :p

but yea thanks for reminding me about that signing:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Trilla wrote: »
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mitch's mate got it from this article.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10263071/midseason-premier-league-report-card

A friend of mine read an article on it - that was the info in the article - those are the images from the article that he tweeted this morning.

What creche came up with the article and did the drawings?

EDIT:
    Just seen your link - okay so its based on the 2012-2013 season. Thats a great sample right there.

Its a complete c0ck article, at least in relation to United.
    Absoltely zere mention of the lack of RVP and the key players that have been injured throughout the season and only a fleeting look at the holes in the team that were there last year.

But to make an analysis that one graphs tactics is better than the other in isolation is complete nonsense.

• Advertisement

Looking for the article now...

Found a similar one from October, so a smaller sample size, but doesn't contain the images tweeted this morning.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/79473/whats-the-matter-with-manchester-united

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement