Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

magnumbud wrote: »
    maybe you dont mind it but some people who have lost people to that(myself included) may not appreciate it being used in such a way.

Look I'm not going to get into long drawn out debate about it but, as I used it first today, I was genuinely curious as to why Keano didn't like it being used. I don't see the problem with it at all, used in the metaphorical sense as it has been.

Everyone has been affected by cancer in one way or the other and I personally think it's a big leap to get offended by using the word in the context it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm baffled as to why you would drop Fletcher for Jones. Jones having an absolute 'mare.

Fletcher's illness could well be the reason. He still doesn't look healthy so I wouldn't be at all surprised if his energy levels are still unreliable day to day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RobertKK wrote: »
    But is there anything good about cancer, are you saying everything about Moyes is bad?

I'll happily say I don't see any good aspects in Moyes being our manager right now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ah for fcuk sake - are you for real? ... so you'd prefer not to be in the final of a cup competition? - I've heard it all now! Manchester United being afraid to play City my hole! .... we'll beat the fcukers!

Ha, we'd get destroyed unless we magically pull everything together for that game and even then we'd still lose. We don't have a chance against City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ah for fcuk sake - are you for real? ... so you'd prefer not to be in the final of a cup competition? - I've heard it all now! Manchester United being afraid to play City my hole! .... we'll beat the fcukers!

I would take 4th over the possibility of playing in the LC final.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

titan18 wrote: »
    Ha, we'd get destroyed unless we magically pull everything together for that game and even then we'd still lose. We don't have a chance against City
    Well we certainly won't win if we don't play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Has Moyes been interviewed yet? Not looking forward to what shit he's gonna spout

RobertKK wrote: »
    But is there anything good about cancer, are you saying everything about Moyes is bad?

About his tenure at Utd? Yes. He's destroying the club bit by bit and if left there will destroy it.

I think the cancer metaphor is perfect for it and I'm sorry if people are offended, but the sooner he is removed the less the damage will be. The longer he is left there the more damage he will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

scudzilla wrote: »
    Has Moyes been interviewed yet? Not looking forward to what shit he's gonna spout

He didn't after the Sunderland game did he?

Probably won't today either

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Jose looked so sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

beno619 wrote: »
    I would take 4th over the possibility of playing in the LC final.
    Couldn't we do both or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

United need 3 players, Now. simple as that. Bed them in over the rest of the season and then kick on next season with no more than 3 more First Team Starters.

Here is their 25 man Premier League Squad (Plus Janazj and Zaha who qualify as u21 and dont need to be registered)

Those in Red need to be moved on. Evra has gone to pot, there's interest fro PSG and Monaco, he seems to of lost the drive. A senior member of the squad and great servant but time to go.

Ferdinand is one of my favourite players of all time. But past it. Should do what Nesta did. Go stateside. LA Galaxy or NY would suit him brilliantly life and football wise.

Vidic was the best centre back in Europe for a number of years. Now, he's a Serie A or Ligue 1 centre back, at best. Not a top league centre back anymore. Could even see him going to Russia

Young hasnt lived up to his potential. Big Fish, small pond syndrome. Needs a club and manager to love him and lets be honest as Everton manager Moyes didn't like him, United fans arent that fond of him either. Time to go to a lower/mid table club.

Fabio. Oh Fabio. Think enough is said there to be honest.

1.De Gea
    2.Rafael
    3.Evra
    4.Jones
    5.Ferdinand
    6.Evans
    10.Rooney
    11.Giggs
    12.Smalling
    13.Lindegard
    14.Chicarito
    15.Vidic
    16.Carrick
    17.Nani
    18.Young
    19.Welbeck
    20.RVP
    21.Fabio
    23.Cleverley
    24.Fletcher
    25.Valencia
    26.Kagawa
    28.Buttner
    29.Zaha
    31.Fellaini
    40.Amos

3.Contreau 15million
    5.Garay 15million
    7.Mata 25million
    8.Cabaye 20million
    9.Reus 30million
    18.Badelj 10million

Whats needed first and foremost is Contreau, Mata, Cabaye. Get all Contreau and Evra spending as much time as possible with Buttner, he is the back up and will be needed for many seasons to come. He is decent and has potential. Selling Evra is also a possibiity in Jan but not a neccessity.

Just ring Chelsea and say look we're sorry we bitched about you with Rooney. If he wants to go to you in a year or so he can. Please sell us Mata, lets not bollox about. Jose doesn't fancy him, here's 25 million Cash up front. Rival or not Chelsea would bite their hand off. MAta however won;t always be a number 10 for united. He will be an inside forward, attacking from the wing. Or a very narrow left Winger, giving Contreau the space he loves.

Cabaye is an out and out centre mid. Can Tackle, Pass, Shoot. He is unreal. 40million man but will be gotten for 20-25. Especially with Mike Ashley owning Newcastle. He should be United number 1 Priority.

Look at the 99 treble winning SQUAD
    GK
    1Schemichael
    17Van Der Gouw

RB
    2Neville.G
    24.Brown

CB
    5Johnsen
    6Stam
    4May
    21.Berg

LB
    3Irwin
    12Neville.P

RW
    7.Beckham
    15Blomquvist

CM
    8Butt
    16Keane
    18Scholes

LW
    11Giggs
    14Cryuff

ST
    9Cole
    10Teddy
    19Yorke
    20Solskjaer

2 players in every position except centre mid.

What united could be next season
    1.De Gea
    13.Lindegard

2.Rafael, 4.Jones, 5.Garay, 3.Contreau
    xxxxxxx, 12.Smalling, 6.Evans, 28.Buttner

9.Reus, 8.Cabaye, 18.Badelj, 7.Mata
    25.Valencia, 16.Carrick, 31.Fellaini, 44.Janazj

10.Rooney, 20.RVP
    19.Welbeck, 14.Hernandez

Also 11.Giggs, 17.Nani, 23.Cleverly, 24.Fletcher, 26.Kagawa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

scudzilla wrote: »
    Manchester United manager David Moyes, speaking to BBC Sport: "We did not deserve to be 2-0 down at half time. We had a little bit of bad luck with the first one but we can't blame anyone else but ourselves for the other two. We did not defend well enough and did not get a chance like Chelsea got to score, so we can only blame ourselves for that.
    "I thought we played well in parts of the game. We played well at the start, we just missed the clinical finish. We didn't score in their box and we didn't defend well in our box. I thought we did well in between the two boxes, but then did not do what was required in the crucial areas.
    "We will keep going. We showed a lot of good things today. There is a progress we have to make and improve all round and myself and the club will try to do that."

On Vidic's sending off and Rafael's booking: "I have not seen Rafa's but I have seen Vidic's. Vidic's for me is not a red card, it was a yellow card. If Rafa's was a bad one I would hopefully come out honestly and say what I think."

BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Even aside from Vidic's and Rafael's tackles, which arguably both warranted red cards, there was a lot of indiscipline in the last 10-20 mins.
    They conceded too many needless fouls, allowing Chelsea to kill off the game, and too much whining to the ref.

Should have been more focused on getting a 2nd goal.

Terribly unprofessional by Vidic and Rafael though , should be both reprimanded and fined, should know better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

jimjamcos wrote: »

Howard, Jag & Distin, Baines and Fellaini were absolutely key to Moyes' Everton. Not the case now.

While Fellaini has gone, the back four and keeper Moyes left, Howard, Baines, Jags, Distin & Coleman are absolutely key to Martinez success thus far.

I'm not downplaying the role Lukaku, Barry & McCarthy have played, but his success has been built from the back, as their defensive record proves

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

If we win all of our remaining games, we'll still be 4 points short of our total points tally of last 2 seasons. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Moyes on Sky now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Most of the people reading this will never have experienced a time like this as a United fan.

It wasn't so much the defeat that was the worst thing to take, more the manner of the defeat.

It is plainly obvious that there are too many passengers. Yes, it was Jones' first game back after 6 out, and he has been good this season in there, but there is no way he is good enough long term. The defence is as poor as I can remember.

Vidic was harshly sent off I thought, Rafael on the other hand should have walked.

12 days remain in this window. 4th place is achievable, but only if the right players are brought in, and the two strikers get back fit, stay fit, and score goals.

It might be too much to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

Lads, We are not going to get our top targets in this window. Top clubs are not going to sell their best players at this time of year. All you get in January are second rate players who are only good enough to make up the number sin the squad. We should just write off this season and plan ahead for the summer transfer market and next season because we aint going to finish inside the top 4 with the way the other teams we are battling for this position are playing

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Depressing times for United. Evra and Valencia need a serious toe in the hole. I'd be looking at playing Büttner and Zaha ahead of them for the remainder of the season as there's no way they can be worse. In the centre of the park I think we should go with Jones and Fletcher as Cleverley is muck and Carrick doesn't have the mobility required. Play Januzaj out left and Kagawa in behind whichever of our strikers isn't on the treatment table. Moyes also needs to stop changing our centre backs every game - our defending is shocking this season. Even with these changes we'll still be gash as we badly need reinforcements but it's worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

lots of positives to be taken from todays game. the ball was moved to forward players better than at any stage this season. If you cant see that you obviously just really want moyes to fail.

Gary Neville saying most of what's been written in this thread the last few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't mind cancer being used as a metaphor in certain situations. Sepp Blatter and Jack Warner are cancers on football. I do think it's distasteful to use it regarding Moyes. He's a good football man who is clearly trying his best in a tough job. Cancer is such a strong term to use.

billyhead wrote: »
    Lads, We are not going to get our top targets in this window. Top clubs are not going to sell their best players at this time of year. All you get in January are second rate players who are only good enough to make up the number sin the squad. We should just write off this season and plan ahead for the summer transfer market and next season because we aint going to finish inside the top 4 with the way the other teams we are battling for this position are playing

Or do a Real Madrid and throw crazy money at the team you want to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't mind cancer being used as a metaphor in certain situations. Sepp Blatter and Jack W4ner are cancers on football. I do think it's distasteful to use it regarding Moyes. He's a good football man who is clearly trying his best in a tough job. Cancer is such a strong term to use.

Nasty to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I don't mind cancer being used as a metaphor in certain situations. Sepp Blatter and Jack W4ner are cancers on football. I do think it's distasteful to use it regarding Moyes. He's a good football man who is clearly trying his best in a tough job. Cancer is such a strong term to use.
    But it's someone's opinion. I don't agree with it but they're entitled to use it if that's how they feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Lads some of ye need to take a breath here and slow down.

While Moyes hasn't covered himslef in glory it must be remembered that he inherited a very average squad who last season won what was a poor premier league.

What has happened this season is that other teams have improved and strengthened and United are being found out, certain players in particular.

The squad now consists of players that are past their best (Giggs, Rio, Evra) players that aren't and never really were good enough (Cleverley, Young, Anderson, Valencia, Evans) and a bunch of players who are decent but not top class (Rafael, Carrick, Hernandez, Welbeck).

Take Rooney and RVP out of it and what you're left with is an average squad with no strength in depth. Moyes may not be the right man for the job but he has inherited a mediocre squad and unfortunately I don't think he has the personality or the standing within the game to attract the sort of players that are needed.

So yes he was the wrong choice but he has taken the controls of a plane that already had an engine in flames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

listermint wrote: »
    Nasty to say the least.
    Ah get over yourself ffs. This place has hit new levels of preciousness it seems.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

ignore Souness he is in no position to be commenting on how to stop the rot.

But it's someone's opinion. I don't agree with it but they're entitled to use it if that's how they feel.

I'm not asking for them to stop. I'm saying that I feel it's distasteful and over the top. In the same way that they are entitled to their opinion, so am I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

LiamoSail wrote: »
    While Fellaini has gone, the back four and keeper Moyes left, Howard, Baines, Jags, Distin & Coleman are absolutely key to Martinez success thus far.

I'm not downplaying the role Lukaku, Barry & McCarthy have played, but his success has been built from the back, as their defensive record proves

Moyes should of built on Ferguson's title winning team instead of doing the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I'm just wondering if a top domestic club like Bayern,Juve,Madrid,Barca etc had gotten a new manager after winning their own league and now found themselves in the position United are in what would happen. I think they would be sacked immediately.

I think Moyes does need time but he's really not helping himself at all. His team selections continue to be really poor. It's been obvious since the first day of the season we needed a left back and he still hasn't corrected that problem. He's constantly changing the CB pairings which has been evident for a long time now and even more so today that their is a lack of stability and control there. He continues to pick players like Valencia and Young who offer nothing to the team and have been poor for well over a year now. He dropped Kagawa today and put Adnan behind the striker, the best 45 minutes was last week when Adnan was on the left and Shinji in behind Wellbeck, why f00king change it again, for Ashley young or Valencia of all people? Where was Darren Fletcher today? Instead he plays a unfit Phil Jones.

It's time to get the finger out over the next 2 weeks or so and sign some players. Rooney is off in the summer if we miss out on CL football and then we're in a clusterfcuk of sh1t as it was surely start a snowball effect with other high profile players at the club namely RVP. I don't care if its players like Cabaye from Newcastle, we need players to ensure we finish in the CL places this season then re-evaluate the squad as a whole in the summer.

Moyes is a cancer on this team and we are... the.. uh...

emm...

what cures cancer??

Sacramento wrote: »

emm...

what cures cancer??
    Vaseline. That **** is magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

emm...

what cures cancer??

Klopp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

emm...

what cures cancer??

Ronaldo

Coentrao, Gundogan, Garay and Griezmann

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Asbury Park

Moyes just now on signings: "We know the type of players we want to bring in the club. A lot are not available, if we can get them we will try to do that but it is difficult. The club has always said it is long term here. We have an idea of the players we'd like to bring in. We would like them now obviously, but it is more than likely it won't be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ah get over yourself ffs. This place has hit new levels of preciousness it seems.

New levels of childish low for youngsters to describe their opinion.

Incredibly laughable that someone could defend it really.

emm...

what cures cancer??

Good doctors if lucky.

We need better players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Once again it has been seriously depressing to get up at 5 am and watch us loose so easily.
    Team selection was very strange. Should have stuck with the winning formula from last week.
    I still fully believe that our squad has the quality necessary to get 4th which is clearly our main objective now. Our next 3 pl games are matches we should always win and getting 9 points from these is a must before the trip to arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Played well in the first half, the players looked up for it. Could have been different if the first deflected goal hadn't gone in.

We won't get in major signings in this window or it will be very difficult, not because Moyes doesn't want to, he said as much in his interview. We might get Coentrao but I think that will be our lot. People will then hammer Moyes and Woodward for not being clever enough to see the problems in the squad or being capable of getting deals done but ignore it. There is no point in us tearing ourselves apart in tough times.

The rest of the season is going to be about getting Rooney and RVP playing together a lot and getting to fourth place and thereafter giving a good account of ourselves in the UCL and carling cup.

16 league games left to support UTD through this season. Cmon UTD.

listermint wrote: »
    New levels of childish low for youngsters to describe their opinion.

Incredibly laughable that someone could defend it really.

I'm find it hard to make sense of what you've written. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Absolutely shocked Moyes' position isn't under more pressure at this stage. The support he is getting in these parts is confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I know what people saying about how hard it is to sign big players in January but is it me or do you hear any of the other top managers saying it's tough to sign players, city and Chelsea just seen to identify a player and go get them, I just don't understand why United don't do that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Too many excuses for Moyes today. You can say that the players aren't good enough like valencia and young being rubbish, but the problem doesn't stem from them, it comes from Moyes persistence in playing them.

We all hoped that the same eleven who put in a decent shift last week should have played. It was strange to see so many changes and annoying to see Evans play (he is unreliable and it proved to be true again today). Even after the first half it was clear that changes need to be made in the dressing room, but the undropables came back out and again they were lacklustre.

I want Moyes to succeed, as it means United succeed, but week in week out the same comments are made regardless of who we play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Oh look, there it isn't

1-0.....least mine was closer :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Agueroooo wrote: »
    ignore Souness he is in no position to be commenting on how to stop the rot.

Great user name by the way

CSF wrote: »
    Absolutely shocked Moyes' position isn't under more pressure at this stage. The support he is getting in these parts is confusing.

It's hysteria don't ya know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I know what people saying about how hard it is to sign big players in January but is it me or do you hear any of the other top managers saying it's tough to sign players, city and Chelsea just seen to identify a player and go get them, I just don't understand why United don't do that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement