Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

CSF wrote: »
    It just doesn't make sense. You would imagine there'd be minimum standards at a club like United, even for the first season. I can't imagine Moyes is close to meeting them. But then you have some fans who go on like its a testament to their character if they support a manager even if he isn't very good.

Or maybe those people are looking at a bigger picture than the six and a bit months Moyes has been in charge of the team and its not seen as "a testament to their character" if they support him but taking in the whole picture.

Maybe people see that Moyes did a good job at Everton before joining UTD. Maybe they see a squad that needed reinforcement for years and didn't get it under the previous manager. Maybe they see a star striker who saved us on so many occasions last season not available as much to Moyes this season. Maybe they are patient and are willing to give Moyes a chance to build a squad of his own. Maybe a squad with aging and average players blighted by injuries is not helping.

Don't let that stop you getting a generalising and some what childish dig in though. None of the above can be surely looked at right? Surely these people want praise as its "a testament to their character" if they are willing to give Moyes time.

Typical post lost reaction as usual in the thread. Moyes out, people losing their heads etc etc. Ignore our good start to the game and the unlucky goal that set us back and the fact our two best players were not in the squad and haven't had a chance to continue their partnership most of this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

We probably should have had a penalty too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not a excuse but Ref was pure homer today. Got nothing off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Carrick was shocking today. We need him back to form ASAP. Moyes needs to be more adventurous with his team selections.

Valencia and Young were useless as usual. Can't wait to see both of them shown the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Red Crow wrote: »
    Carrick was shocking today.

First 25 - 30 mins he was very positive... some very good quick slick passes forward that released Adnan J twice and for Youngs chance before the one-two. Also bare in mind Jones was not fit and imo closer to shocking than Carrick.

His second half performance was a bit lackluster alright

Shocking tag goes to Evra and the Ref imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

We probably should have had a penalty too.

We need to sign Suarez, might get a penalty then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My feelings on the appointment of Moyes are clear, as our my opinions of the mistakes he has made over the last 7 months or so - along with the United board, so I am not going to rehash it now.

What I will say though is that I think United HAVE to sign some players over the next week or so. Im not saying we need the squad overhaul now, but we do need to do something. We need to push through a deal for a bigname or two - we have to really push it. Throw money at it and really try to get it done. It isn't just that the squad is lacking in quality (either through ability or form) - it is that the squad has no confidence or belief. We need to bring someone in that can make an impact for the players and the fans - someone that can have the boost to moral of the fans and the players similar to the effect Ozil had at Arsenal and RVP had at United.

If Mata is available, and I believe he is, we should push hard for him. It wouldnt be an easy transfer, may infact be impossible, but we should make a real push for it. He isn't the only player I would say we should go for, nor should the only position we go for, but I simply think we have to do something.

We need to give the players something to believe in as much as anything else - whether we make 4th or not is a massive question, but I would say we at least need to really push for it - to only just miss out, while also playing some decent football. We need to show players that we are targetting, and players at the club that our future isn't as bleak as it does right now.

If we get no one, and the seasons dies away as it looks like it will now, we are going to finsh way off the 4th place pace and we aren't going to be an attractive prospect to a player like Gundogan, who we seem to be pinning our transfer hopes to.

Personally, I would go all out for Cabaye, Mata and a left back right now. Hope it gets us 4th, and push for Gundogan in the summer along with a CB and whatever else we need.

Lastly, I think this team needs so much surgery to both the first 11 and the squad in general, it would be stupid to leave it all to the summer. We could get some of our future squad players now, who would improve the first 11 quality now too - Cabaye a good target for that kind of player imo.

De Gea
    Rafael
    Evans
    Smalling
    Jones
    Carrick
    Cleverley
    Fletcher
    Fellaini
    Januzaj
    Rooney
    RVP
    Welbeck

They are really the only senior players I would be absolutely set on keeping at this point. Would like Kagawa and Chico to stay but I can see them being moved on for various reasons.

Lindegaard, Fabio, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Buttner, Young, Valencia, Nani have all done little to prove they deserve a place at United long term - so getting a player in that improves on them now - giving us a better first 11 (if not by a massively significantly margin) now and a better squad long term.

There is, imo, a lot that United could be doing in this window - it is perplexing that they have done absolutely nothing so far. I just cant see any acceptable logic in doing nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    There was a point, when we were 3-1 down I believe, that we got the ball down to the right wing, inside the 18 yard box and whipped in a very dangerous ball across the 6 yard line. Instead of busting a gut to get into a scoring position, Welbeck and another attacker ( I can't remember who ) were doddling around the penalty spot. I couldn't believe they weren't giving it all to get into a great scoring position, it would have been a simple tap in. Summed up the lack of effort and will to win from the team over the season.

It's not lack of effort. Every one of our players struggles physically in the latter stages of games now. It was the exact same when Moyes was at Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Those two players have both been injured lots in their careers. It's folly to blame the manager entirely and is confirmation bias at its finest

Weren't both players played when carrying the injuries though, hence the aggravation of those injuries? Which makes even less sense when you consider the facts you've mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Does anyone even want the Europa league next year? I dont see us getting 4th and Thursday night football wouldnt help next season at all.

My feelings on the appointment of Moyes are clear, as our my opinions of the mistakes he has made over the last 7 months or so - along with the United board, so I am not going to rehash it now.

Nice one! Hopefully a few more will take a leaf out of your book there

De Gea
    Rafael
    Evans
    Smalling
    Jones
    Carrick
    Cleverley
    Fletcher
    Fellaini
    Januzaj
    Rooney
    RVP
    Welbeck

I would add Nani to that, hasnt done much but has a bit of an unlucky run with injuries and he's just signed a new deal. Vidic and Chico I'm on the fence over.

I'd love Cabaye and Shaw to come in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Moyes is defacating all over this club. Sir matt busby must be looking down from heaven in disgust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Not a excuse but Ref was pure homer today. Got nothing off him.

Apart from the Raf non-sending off, although he'd probaly have gone if Vidic hadn't been sent off.

ricero wrote: »
    Moyes is defacating all over this club. Sir Alex ferguson must be looking down from the directors box in disgust

Fixed that

Moyes is defacating all over this club. Sir matt busby must be looking down from heaven in disgust

Is your IQ the same number as your age?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The games against Everton and Liverpool are going to be huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Trilla wrote: »
    Nice one! Hopefully a few more will take a leaf out of your book there

I would add Nani to that, hasnt done much but has a bit of an unlucky run with injuries and he's just signed a new deal. Vidic and Chico I'm on the fence over.

I'd love Cabaye and Shaw to come in
    I'd like Chico to stay, but Welbeck wont be leaving (imo) and if RVP and Rooney stay, Chico will look for a move elsewhere, and I couldnt blame him.

As for Nani, I'd love for him to come back and be the player I feel he can be, this season just has me so jaded i don't have much patience or hope left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ah man don't worry, god isn't real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Moyes had been stressing how hard it is to get players now.

Then he says this in the Guardian :

"The number of big players who want to join Manchester United is incredible. Maybe players want to go for the money to other clubs but, if you ask them where they would really like to play,whose badge they would choose to wear, they want to wear the badge of Manchester United, because of what the club stands for."

Who has he asked? He is going to look stupid if he doesn't sign anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Canal+ are claiming that Psg and Newcastle have agreed a £26m deal for Cabaye, dependant on Newcastle getting Cabella.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Bit harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Lads this team is better than it has shown so far this season. Wtf is wrong? Seems to me the players aren't too interested in giving a performance for the manager plain and simple.

Even if we sign gundogan tonight we are going to have the same problems in the next match.

Moyes seems to be turning us into a mediocre team ala Everton. Not one good game in the league all season is very worrying no matter what excuses you can come up with.

While he is still manager I will support him and hope for a big improvement in performances, been let down every game so far though so not holding my breath.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Discodog wrote: »
    Moyes had been stressing how hard it is to get players now.

Then he says this in the Guardian :

"The number of big players who want to join Manchester United is incredible. Maybe players want to go for the money to other clubs but, if you ask them where they would really like to play,whose badge they would choose to wear, they want to wear the badge of Manchester United, because of what the club stands for."

Who has he asked? He is going to look stupid if he doesn't sign anyone.

Translation: no one wants to play for Manchester United and we won't be signing anyone of note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Before, I thought this was just a bad patch. Get rid of a couple of guys, bring in a couple of guys...

As much as I hated moyes getting the job, a part of me believed that this was just a bad patch. However, that all changed today. And not after the result of the match, but before a ball had even been kicked.

Everyone expected us to lose and instead of us defying expectation we did exactly that.

Moyes has no ideas but I'm not sure that's no ideas with this group of misfits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's not lack of effort. Every one of our players struggles physically in the latter stages of games now. It was the exact same when Moyes was at Everton.

I just can't believe that to be honest. I know where you're coming from but neither player even made an attempt to make a run into where the ball was being played. These are professional athletes who are at the peak of physical fitness ( Or should be ). Even if they don't have the energy to make the run, a level of determination should be evident. That's what I thought was lacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

So, didnt watch the game yet, know the result of course.

Was there any reason given for why Kagawa didnt start behind the front man? As it appears Jan did? Young and Valencia on the wings from the line up?

Moyes does not seem to be learning from mistakes at all in some areas which worries me, if there was not some reason Kag didnt start, he seemed to admit that Jan as the number 10 didnt work (obviously) and everybody saw how much of a difference Kagawa made at 10 and how much Jan improved when he went out wide, why did he not start like that today? If he wanted Young to be in the line up he could have played instead of Valencia quite easily.. Or vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It was nice to see Jose wanting United to win matches after the match, particularly against the other top 4 teams, he could sell us Mata to help the cause.

Did anyone else think Jose looked sad in the after match interview?

Being with Chelsea and wishing he was married to United instead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Canal+ are claiming that Psg and Newcastle have agreed a £26m deal for Cabaye, dependant on Newcastle getting Cabella.

Way too much but we're desperate so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Thought we played well enough on the whole save for some costly instances... Septic defending on a number of occasions and poor finishing/forwards not getting in position.

Was disappointed with the selection and would have had kagawa and fletcher in for Jones and young. Couldn't see the sense of playing welbeck behind Adnan.

Thought Rafaels tackle was scandalous, it would be nice if the club took some action against him.

Edit. Just to add, I think the result seriously flattered Chelsea, the stats bear that out.... the first goal was fortunate and the second was due individual error. Mourinho s Chelsea were never gonna give up that lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

It's clear Moyes doesn't have any confidence in playing different tactics which is very worrying.
    He only put Kagawa in his favourite position by being forced to and look what happened there.

Today seemed like the perfect game to have Kags as the no.10 behind Welbeck but as usual this season he relies on the 18 year old to create something for the toughest away game of the season.
    Poor Kagawa didn't even get a minute and seemed to me moyser was teasing us having fletch on the bench.

• Advertisement

There is, imo, a lot that United could be doing in this window - it is perplexing that they have done absolutely nothing so far. I just cant see any acceptable logic in doing nothing at all.

A lot is being done. Moyes has looked at lots of players but if your judgement on work being done is a player signing than the method you judge transfer work at the club is wrong.

Gary Neville made good point after the match. UTD were in for Cesc, Baine, Ronaldo and Bale if the stories are true. So there was intent to add to the squad. He also said if UTD could sign four top class players this week they would. Why wait till the summer when you could have them for the remainder. Its because they may not want to move.

Its not as simple as identifying a target and simply buying them. The club in question and player has to want the move. Atletico are apparently offering Koke a new deal to keep him and raising his buyout to 60m. Herrera is getting a new deal also.

Moyes said after the match he has a long term view regarding signings when asked was he looking interested in a quick fix.

Can I ask you if you believe that not much is being done by Moyes and that its Moyes wanting to wait until the summer rather then get the players now? Do you think he would not snap up players now if he had the chance? Surely he would and if nobody signs the reason is not our willingness to sign them but any other number of factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

kryogen wrote: »
    So, didnt watch the game yet, know the result of course.

Was there any reason given for why Kagawa didnt start behind the front man? As it appears Jan did? Young and Valencia on the wings from the line up?

Moyes does not seem to be learning from mistakes at all in some areas which worries me, if there was not some reason Kag didnt start, he seemed to admit that Jan as the number 10 didnt work (obviously) and everybody saw how much of a difference Kagawa made at 10 and how much Jan improved when he went out wide, why did he not start like that today? If he wanted Young to be in the line up he could have played instead of Valencia quite easily.. Or vice versa

Januzaj was playing further forward than Welbeck at times in the 1st half. Made no sense at all

titan18 wrote: »
    Januzaj was playing further forward than Welbeck at times in the 1st half. Made no sense at all

yet they were on top for the first half hour. Even Mourinho stated so

yet they were on top for the first half hour. Even Mourinho stated so

Did we do anything with that though, on top and no one to create chances as Januzaj is up front waiting for them. He should be the one getting on the ball and creating, not waiting for Valencia and Young to do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

RobertKK wrote: »
    It was nice to see Jose wanting United to win matches after the match, particularly against the other top 4 teams, he could sell us Mata to help the cause.

Did anyone else think Jose looked sad in the after match interview?

Being with Chelsea and wishing he was married to United instead...
    Christ almighty...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

titan18 wrote: »
    Did we do anything with that though, on top and no one to create chances as Januzaj is up front waiting for them. He should be the one getting on the ball and creating, not waiting for Valencia and Young to do something.

We had chances... Did you watch the game?

J. Marston wrote: »
    [/B]Christ almighty...

Mary Moses Elijah and Solomon!

ericzeking wrote: »
    We had chances... Did you watch the game?

Ya, what chances, Evra's shot that went into the side netting, and the one Welbeck got taken out by Azpilicueta. Those were the only chances I can remember when Januzaj was playing up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

J. Marston wrote: »
    [/B]Christ almighty...
    Mary Moses Elijah and Solomon!

Yeah, that is what Jose said when he didn't get the job.

He is still being very nice to United, in the program for the game, it was said on Newstalk he was very positive towards United.

He still wants the job sometime...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Or he knows that it suits Chelsea not to put pressure on Moyes, since it does them better if he stays in the job long term ;)

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yeah, that is what Jose said when he didn't get the job.

He is still being very nice to United, in the program for the game, it was said on Newstalk he was very positive towards United.

He still wants the job sometime...

He's "very nice" because we're not a threat.

The same way Fergie laid off Wenger and Arsenal when they weren't a threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

ericzeking wrote: »
    Thought we played well enough on the whole save for some costly instances... Septic defending on a number of occasions and poor finishing/forwards not getting in position.

Was disappointed with the selection and would have had kagawa and fletcher in for Jones and young. Couldn't see the sense of playing welbeck behind Adnan.

Thought Rafaels tackle was scandalous, it would be nice if the club took some action against him.

Edit. Just to add, I think the result seriously flattered Chelsea, the stats bear that out.... the first goal was fortunate and the second was due individual error. Mourinho s Chelsea were never gonna give up that lead.

Rafaels tackle was lot more dangerous than Vidics.....reckon English FA will deal with it with a ban..... Agree that Moyes never settles on a team,if he wanted Young to play.,it should have been on right,with Jan on left,I thought Players lacked fight in second half..... Just after we scored a good ball was played out on right to Smalling on right wing,he put in cross and there were only two Utd players trying to break into the box:(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

article-2542228-1ACE890400000578-98_634x508.jpg

Think this photo tells a lot about the new manager

Rafaels tackle was lot more dangerous than Vidics.....reckon English FA will deal with it with a ban..... Agree that Moyes never settles on a team,if he wanted Young to play.,it should have been on right,with Jan on left,I thought Players lacked fight in second half..... Just after we scored a good ball was played out on right to Smalling on right wing,he put in cross and there were only two Utd players trying to break into the box:(.

Don't think they can, Dowd booked him so that's the situation dealt with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

#FletcherForManager :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In fairness anytime camera was on Moyes he was roaring instructions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The further down the table you drop the more unlikely you are to attract the big names. Moyes is going to struggle to sign players if there is any unliklihood of CL football.

article-2542228-1ACE890400000578-98_634x508.jpg

Think this photo tells a lot about the new manager

A photoshopped picture tells what about the "new manager"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    I just can't believe that to be honest. I know where you're coming from but neither player even made an attempt to make a run into where the ball was being played. These are professional athletes who are at the peak of physical fitness ( Or should be ). Even if they don't have the energy to make the run, a level of determination should be evident. That's what I thought was lacking.

If you don't have the energy, you don't have the energy. It doesn't matter how determined you are. Being professional athletes doesn't mean they never get fatigued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

#FletcherForManager :P

#cutfromthesamecloth

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement