Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Via Joe.ie
    Navigation menu button
    click here...
    NEWS
    9 hours ago
    Transfer Talk: Reus to Spurs, Mata on the way out and just the seven midfielders and Cavani on United’s radar
    by @conorheneghan1 Email author
    Email button
    cavani
    Transfer rumours are best taken with a pinch of salt, but you’d want industrial quantities of sodium chloride to go with some of the gossip in today’s papers, which is a tad fanciful to say the least.
    As has been the case this month so far, the most interesting rumours concern Manchester United, who, according to the Daily Star, have given David Moyes £150 million to spend and boy does he plan on spending it.
    PSG’s Edinson Cavani is top of Moyes’ wish list although that move may depend on Wayne Rooney’s future at the club, while the net has been cast far and wide in their search for badly needed midfield reinforcements.
    To that end, the Star are suggesting that Juan Mata, Arturo Vidal, Ross Barkley, Adam Lallana, Miralem Pjanic, Hernanes and Lucas Moura are all on the manager’s shopping list, along with a pint of milk, a loaf of bread and a left back to replace Patrice Evra, who could be on his way out in the summer.
    That left back, according to the Mirror, could be Sevilla’s Alberto Moreno, with prime target, Everton’s Leighton Baines, set to sign a new deal with his current club, as was the case with another target, Atletico Madrid’s Koke, in recent days. Wilfried Zaha, meanwhile, is apparently desperate for a loan move to Cardiff which will only be sanctioned if David Moyes is satisfied with the fitness of recent injury victims Ashley Young and Nani.
    One man not mentioned in that rather large group of midfielders was Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus, who has been linked with United but is now attracting interest from Spurs according to the Sunday Mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol ya sure we have 150m.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

150m?

What happened the other 50m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

150m?

What happened the other 50m?

It was lost in the stock market due to Cleverley if I remember correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It went from £100 million warchest to £200 million warchest back down to £150 million warchest.

Not sure why, but Tom Cleverley is at fault.

Edit: God dammit, Unearthly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Woody spent the 50m on coke and hookers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jesus Rooney and RVP cant come back quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Pro. F wrote: »
    If you don't have the energy, you don't have the energy. It doesn't matter how determined you are. Being professional athletes doesn't mean they never get fatigued.

We'll never know then so I guess. There seems to be a lack of drive this year, it's sad to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It was always going to be nigh on impossible to win at Stamford Bridge without RVP and Rooney, the two outstanding players.

The objective now has to be to remain in the hunt for top four whilst waiting for Rooney and RVP to return. Fergie was remarkably lucky in how many games he got out of RVP last season and if Moyes gets a fraction of that luck then Van Persie should feature in a decent amount of games towards the end of the season.

He says he won't panic buy but I think he may have to do what Wenger did two seasons or so ago when they were in a bad way. He went for Mertesacker, Arteta and two others I think. United will have to go for a few as well I reckon.

I still think he's been desperately unlucky with injuries to key players. Even Fellaini went down soon after he got him. The squad has always been overrated. People were saying last season that the squad wasn't all that inferior to Fergie's great squads which I never could get my head around.

I'd actually disagree with Gary Neville's take on things after the game (only four signings are needed) and agree more with Hoddle (about ten are needed). A lot of this squad are coming to an end.

The staff clearly feel Evra is coming to an end to his United spell. Ferdinand and Vidic were the standard ten years ago. Nani should have been let go. Valencia hasn't been as good as a few years ago. The central midfield issues are well documented. Forwards and goalkeeping area is okay for the moment but the central spine of the team and overall squad needs major surgery.

This is a much bigger transition than I think most people realised. Maybe Fergie knew it though and that's why he decided to get out because he couldn't build yet another side.

I'd actually disagree with Gary Neville's take on things after the game (only four signings are needed) and agree more with Hoddle (about ten are needed). A lot of this squad are coming to an end.

Nani should have been let go.

Good post

but, 2 bits above is what I disagree with. I think both Neville and Hoddle are wrong. I think its somewhere inbetween. About 6-7 players with 3 of them being World Class and I think that would put us in among top teams again.

I was happy Nani stayed. Been out injured and on his day is best winger at the club by a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

article-2542228-1ACE890400000578-98_634x508.jpg

Think this photo tells a lot about the new manager

That he is watching where the ball is? along with the rest of the crowd and subs other then Fletch who and the two backroom staff?

You would hope he does watch the action alright. Tells me alot about him, keeps his eye on the ball so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

This is a much bigger transition than I think most people realised. Maybe Fergie knew it though and that's why he decided to get out because he couldn't build yet another side.

Defending Moyes has now crossed from doubting the ability of the squad to doubting Fergie's motivation for leaving. Shark jumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

It was always going to be nigh on impossible to win at Stamford Bridge without RVP and Rooney, the two outstanding players.

The objective now has to be to remain in the hunt for top four whilst waiting for Rooney and RVP to return. Fergie was remarkably lucky in how many games he got out of RVP last season and if Moyes gets a fraction of that luck then Van Persie should feature in a decent amount of games towards the end of the season.

He says he won't panic buy but I think he may have to do what Wenger did two seasons or so ago when they were in a bad way. He went for Mertesacker, Arteta and two others I think. United will have to go for a few as well I reckon.

I still think he's been desperately unlucky with injuries to key players. Even Fellaini went down soon after he got him. The squad has always been overrated. People were saying last season that the squad wasn't all that inferior to Fergie's great squads which I never could get my head around.

The staff clearly feel Evra is coming to an end to his United spell. Ferdinand and Vidic were the standard ten years ago. Nani should have been let go. Valencia hasn't been as good as a few years ago. The central midfield issues are well documented. Forwards and goalkeeping area is okay for the moment but the central spine of the team and overall squad needs major surgery.

An awful lot of nonsense here but the last bit in particular is beyond ridiculous. Such nonsense. What evidence exactly have you got to suggest Fergie wasn't capable of building another team if he had chosen to stay on as manager? It's well documented he retired due to his wife. Felt he needed to spend more time with her as a result of her sister dying. To suggest anything else is an insult to the man to be quite honest!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Defending Moyes has now crossed from doubting the ability of the squad to doubting Fergie's motivation for leaving. Shark jumped.

Sometimes feel it's anything but admit the wrong man was chosen for the job....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

That is all presuming that the squad is actually performing near where it is capable of, which I just don't buy.

Fergie, as fantastic a manager as he was, couldn't perform miracles, which the above post would seem to suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Last year Rooney was messed around by Fergie. Fitness was not his problem, Fergie was. Nothing Rooney has done this season is out of the ordinary compared to what he has shown himself capable of in previous years.

As soon as I heard that Rooney was doing so much more running I was expecting him to have significant trouble with injuries this season. He may have better cardio fitness this season, but that wouldn't stop him being prone to injury. Stocky guys like Rooney always struggle with injuries when their volume of running goes up.

I am putting a lot of significance on what Moyes has said because there is no other way of interpreting it. If he had a sensible approach to how to prevent player injury he never would have said that nonsense about over training and over playing RvP.

I've seen plenty of evidence of how football managers ignore medical advice on injury prevention and management, so it is definitely plausible to me.

This all sounds like confirmation bias and pseudoscience."I believed that more running would give this stocky guy more injuries and then he got injuries. What do you mean he got injured in almost every season he has played for the club? Nah it's the training."

And Rooney didn't look fit at times last year. His fitness has been criticised during many of his barren goalscoring periods and it has almost always been valid. The extra running may be good for him. It may not. The point of my post is that it can be argued either way.

Placing the blame on Moyes for injuries might be fair but I won't be giving it any credence as I haven't got enough information on what this hard running training actually entailed. Anybody shed any light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Cant wait to see this thread when we win the champions league in may :) :pac:

An awful lot of nonsense here but the last bit in particular is beyond ridiculous. Such nonsense. What evidence exactly have you got to suggest Fergie wasn't capable of building another team if he had chosen to stay on as manager? It's well documented he retired due to his wife. Felt he needed to spend more time with her as a result of her sister dying. To suggest anything else is an insult to the man to be quite honest!

I wasn't doubting his motivation for leaving. I'm aware he left for reasons to do with his wife. That was my point. He knew he had to leave and another rebuilding of the squad would have been beyond him at this stage in his life.

If he was ten years younger I am sure he would have moved several players on. That responsibility now rests with Moyes.

Fergie will be one of those fighting to give Moyes more time. Anyone who thinks he will be discarded soon is deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

He's going to be like a new signing!

• Advertisement

i have no doubt fergie could have built another squad but due to his age and wanting to spend time with his family he decided he didnt want to stick around for what he saw as another (perhaps long) rebuild

not saying its a fact but if he still had the 2008 squad for example he may have stuck around for another few years. so the fact that the squad needs a rebuild would have been a factor thats not having a go off of the man most people would be the same.

Would like to get poll here and see who wants Moyes out and him to stay.

If it was a poll would like to have names of people who voted though

that could be an interesting one to look back at in a few years :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

Jesus Rooney and RVP cant come back quick enough.

Can't see him making a comeback to be honest

It'd be ruined by other fans voting that he should stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Mentioned it a while back, think the mods where worried about non united fans spamming.

• Advertisement

Mentioned it a while back, think the mods where worried about non united fans spamming.
    It'd be ruined by other fans voting that he should stay.

Thats why I think the names on it would least mean we could separate United from rest.

i have no doubt fergie could have built another squad but due to his age and wanting to spend time with his family he decided he didnt want to stick around for what he saw as another (perhaps long) rebuild

not saying its a fact but if he still had the 2008 squad for example he may have stuck around for another few years. so the fact that the squad needs a rebuild would have been a factor thats not having a go off of the man most people would be the same.

I strongly disagree anyway. I think the only reason he retired was to spend time with his wife.

This all sounds like confirmation bias and pseudoscience."I believed that more running would give this stocky guy more injuries and then he got injuries. What do you mean he got injured in almost every season he has played for the club? Nah it's the training."

Nothing pseudoscience about it. I've done over 10 years of hard physical training, working closely with physios while training with lads of various builds. It's well known that naturally stocky guys can suffer if the volume of running is too high.

Rooney could be on course to just have another one of his normal seasons where he's out for a few spells injured, or he could be on course for something worse. Time will tell.
    And Rooney didn't look fit at times last year. His fitness has been criticised during many of his barren goalscoring periods and it has almost always been valid. The extra running may be good for him. It may not. The point of my post is that it can be argued either way.

Placing the blame on Moyes for injuries might be fair but I won't be giving it any credence as I haven't got enough information on what this hard running training actually entailed. Anybody shed any light?

What is clear is that Moyes has said some things that portray him as pretty clueless when it comes to injury prevention and management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

dmc17 wrote: »
    Can't see him making a comeback to be honest

He's good at the comebacks around Easter time though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

KevIRL wrote: »
    He's good at the comebacks around Easter time though...

It'll be too late then. Even he won't we able to save us at that stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

What is clear is that Moyes has said some things that portray him as pretty clueless when it comes to injury prevention and management.

I remember that Dutch journo talking about Moyes training and running of the players in the summer but I've never seen this quote you speak of regarding Moyes saying he made a mistake with RVP. Source please.

How were injuries at Everton under Moyes. Be nice to have something to back things up before he is labeled as "pretty clueless when it comes to injury prevention and management".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Thats why I think the names on it would least mean we could separate United from rest.

Stay and be allowed time weed out The under performers . Build his own team. Id settle for a cup in The first 2 years and hopefully be very close to winning The League in The 3rd season . Then we Can Jüdge manager better. Not after 6 months of injuries. a big culture shock as to How big The Job is. and being left a squad that needs rebuilding

Nothing pseudoscience about it. I've done over 10 years of hard physical training, working closely with physios while training with lads of various builds. It's well known that naturally stocky guys can suffer if the volume of running is too high.

Rooney could be on course to just have another one of his normal seasons where he's out for a few spells injured, or he could be on course for something worse. Time will tell.

Again, I'd need to know what the training entailed but in the grand scheme of things, Rooney isn't that stocky. Rugby players, American footballers and even many GAA players are far stockier than him and would engage in lots of running training without huge issues.

And how does it work, the stockier you are, the less you should run? So Sexton runs 7 shuttles, O'Driscoll runs 5, o'Connell runs 4 and John Hayes runs 1. How many would Jonah Lomu have run? Then how do we explain RVP? I think it's far more complex than stocky guys struggle with hard running and the most salient fact is that Rooney has always had injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My problem at the minute is that I think Moyes has done every single thing wrong that he possibly could have done wrong since arriving at the club.

He utterly wasted the summer transfer window and it appears he is going to waste the January window also. His tactics and training appear to be very poor, which in turns points fingers at his choice of coaches. His team selections have been utterly dire, including a baffling insistence on playing the useless Antonio Valencia every. single. ****ing. game. He has repeatedly used underperforming players while not giving other players a chance at all. His press statements make me cringe every time, and most importantly, I don't think any of the players at the club like him or want to play for him. Moyes does not have that dressing room on his side.

I want something to cling to, to have a little hope that things will improve but I just can't see it. He has done nothing right. Even in the summer the best his defenders could come up with was that he got Rooney to stay. But Rooney ain't staying is he, no contract extension for our Wayne was there?

What has Moyes done right so far? Can anybody tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

My problem at the minute is that I think Moyes has done every single thing wrong that he possibly could have done wrong since arriving at the club.

He utterly wasted the summer transfer window and it appears he is going to waste the January window also. His tactics and training appear to be very poor, which in turns points fingers at his choice of coaches. His team selections have been utterly dire, including a baffling insistence on playing the useless Antonio Valencia every. single. ****ing. game. He has repeatedly used underperforming players while not giving other players a chance at all. His press statements make me cringe every time, and most importantly, I don't think any of the players at the club like him or want to play for him. Moyes does not have that dressing room on his side.

I want something to cling to, to have a little hope that things will improve but I just can't see it. He has done nothing right. Even in the summer the best his defenders could come up with was that he got Rooney to stay. But Rooney ain't staying is he, no contract extension for our Wayne was there?

hes played januzzi..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

I believe he has got the team to the match ON TIME every week. That must count for something. Keano would love him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Signed Fellaini, got Rooney to stay and tied Januzaj down to a contract.

You can't possibly know about the part in bold.

The anti Moyes contingent have now gone from highlighting poor tactics and team selections to training sessions. Shark jumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I always thought Smalling and Jones will be our future CB's but I dont think that any more tbh. Jones especially has been quite poor but I dont blame him that much tbh. When you mess around with a players position this is the end results. Same could be said about Smalling. Evans is my main man in the defence now. We need to buy an established CB now

A lot of this is based on hearsay and assumption. He 'appears' to be about to waste the January window, he 'appears' to be holding poor training sessions, you 'don't think' the players want to play for him.

Is there any evidence for any of this?

Also he gave young Januzaj a chance. Who should he have picked ahead of Valencia? Nani?

Considering Giggs is involved in training along with Phil Neville, and since Fergie is still involved at the club behind the scenes and consulting with Moyes regularly, if there was any semblance of truth to these accusations then changes would have been made.

I would also say the departure of David Gill had a big influence on the club's transfer policy.

One of Keane's biggest gripes when he was a player was a drop in performance after a title winning season. I think that has definitely happened with several of the players. There's a few too many on cruise control and it's showed with the results this season. I wish the players would take more flak for their poor performances and lack of concentration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Where do people see Utd finishing?,personally I don't see Moyes making any signings in this window,obviously hopes of finishing higher up table would benefit from having a few new signings in this window but I think we may well not finish in top 6:(
    If you look at it rationally all the teams above Utd at the moment all are in much better form and have squads that are at least as good as Utds and better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Headshot wrote: »
    I always thought Smalling and Jones will be our future CB's but I dont think that any more tbh. Jones especially has been quite poor but I dont blame him that much tbh. When you mess around with a players position this is the end results. Same could be said about Smalling. Evans is my main man in the defence now. We need to buy an established CB now

he has been your best CB for about 3 seasons now imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Saying he wasted the summer transfer window really is captain hindsight bollóxology.

It was often you'd see people saying we had the best squad in the league, and he added apparently one of the best midfielders in the premier league to it, and he tried to get Bale, Fabregas, Khedira.

Added to people now discrediting his time at Everton the past few months it really makes for cringy reading.

He's going to get until the end of the season at least, he said he's trying to get players in now but it's not happening. There's not much more he can do. The players need to start performing like Manchester United players most of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

To be honest, I don't know if I'd trust Moyes with a large transfer purse.

So after just a few replies, the only thing Moyes appears to have done right is to have given Januzaj a chance with the first team.

Seriously guys, when you were typing that did you not realise you were really scraping the bottom of the barrel?

I remember that Dutch journo talking about Moyes training and running of the players in the summer but I've never seen this quote you speak of regarding Moyes saying he made a mistake with RVP. Source please.

I didn't say that Moyes said he made a mistake with RVP.
    How were injuries at Everton under Moyes. Be nice to have something to back things up before he is labeled as "pretty clueless when it comes to injury prevention and management".

I don't know how you would even go about quantifying the injuries at a club over that period of time. Physioroom is useful for injury info, but it doesn't record enough information to be able to do that.

Saying he wasted the summer transfer window really is captain hindsight bollóxology.

It was often you'd see people saying we had the best squad in the league, and he added apparently one of the best midfielders in the premier league to it, and he tried to get Bale, Fabregas, Khedira.

Bull. I said it long before the summer window closed and I was right to do so. It was clearly ****ing obvious we needed players in and out, and chasing Fabregas and Bale wasn't worth a **** to be honest.

And look where we are now. It was Captain obvious, not captain hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

There is, imo, a lot that United could be doing in this window - it is perplexing that they have done absolutely nothing so far. I just cant see any acceptable logic in doing nothing at all.

I agree. If Moyes does nothing again this month I don't think we will get top 4 and hence he won't be still around to buy players in the summer.

For him personally it would be a sour way to fail. It would be one thing if he tried everything and wasn't cut out for it.

It's another thing if he inherited a team of champions that needed reinforcements (especially left back and CM), he gets handed a 100-200 million "war chest", and just does nothing only let the team slip into mid table.

He is too complacent of his job and happily resigned to mid table.
    This is a crisis for him right now.

I agree. If Moyes does nothing again this month I don't think we will get top 4 and hence he won't be still around to bug players in the summer.

For him personally it would be a sour way to fail. It would be one thing if he tried everything and wasn't cut out for it.

It's another thing if he inherited a team of champions that needed reinforcements (especially left back and CM), he gets handed a 100-200 million "war chest", and just does nothing only let the team slip into mid table.

He is too complacent of his job and happily resigned to mid table.
    This is a crisis for him right now.

Ye I'd say he's chuffed at the current league position. Christ above.

Again, I'd need to know what the training entailed but in the grand scheme of things, Rooney isn't that stocky. Rugby players, American footballers and even many GAA players are far stockier than him and would engage in lots of running training without huge issues.

Comparing Rooney to rugby, GAA and American footballers is pointless. Of course he is a lot less stocky than all of them, but football players also do a lot more running than all of them.
    And how does it work, the stockier you are, the less you should run? So Sexton runs 7 shuttles, O'Driscoll runs 5, o'Connell runs 4 and John Hayes runs 1. How many would Jonah Lomu have run? Then how do we explain RVP? I think it's far more complex than stocky guys struggle with hard running and the most salient fact is that Rooney has always had injuries.

I wouldn't know a lot about rugby, but yes I would be surprised if John Hayes would have the same training schedule as Johnny Sexton. I would think that would be obvious enough that it wouldn't need pointing out. Also, from what I understand, rugby players have to use a lot of PEDs just to keep themselves healthy enough to train at the elite level.

In combat sport training (mma, boxing, wrestling, etc), which is what I would know about, the guys who are more naturally built for running are allowed rely on it more. Whereas the guys who may have issues because of their build will plan to do less running and look more towards things like plyometrics, high intensity intervals, swimming and things like that. They'll still run a lot, but usually not as much. It's all about managing the training to fit the athlete. So when you here about a stocky footballer, who has had issues with injuries throughout his career, talking about how he has been doing much more running, that is a worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I know you are glass half full type of guy(thats a compliment not a dig btw)

Hand on heart when it got to 2-0 did you honestly believe we still were in the game?.
    Hand on heart Kew when it went to 2-0 I thought we were very very much still in the match - the fact we had played all the football and had kept a brilliant Chelsea midfield largely under wraps meant the match was still not over.

We needed to score first after the break but unfortunately Chelsea got the break - if we had scored instead of Chelsea then a draw was very possible. If we played like we did today all season we would not be 7th in the league ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement