Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Devil08 wrote: »
    Where's the evidence? In his contract. They could easily have given him a 2 or 3 year contract and see how he gets on

The length of contract given doesn't mean he should be given time to turn it around just because he is tied into a contract. What if it stays the same for the next year, do you say "well he has a 6year contract so give him more time"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If Juve are signing a CM they must be selling one of their CMs

Probably Pogba to PSG in the summer

I wonder who Moyes was looking at in that match. I can't see any hope with Juve's CMs. The talk was all about Marchisio, and he would be a fantastic signing, but I highly doubt he would leave the club. He's a one club man and will be a perfect replacement for Pirlo at regista in time. IIRC Juve turned down a massive offer for Vidal last year (€40m or something), so why would they sell him now? And I doubt Pogba is going to want to come back to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Well its a fairly big oversight if you ask me. Likely to cost them the league.

No team chasing the league and european titles would leave a spot open in the hope of getting a player a year later.

Fernando Torres?
    Samual Eto'o ? (today of all days i'm surprised you forgot about him)
    Demba Ba?
    Lukaku loaned out to get game time ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Nail on head

http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/9125156/John-Nicholson

'Following Ferguson was always going to be difficult.'

'It's not a good squad.'

'Ferguson pushed the players to perform above themselves last year.'

'Other clubs have improved and overtaken United.'

'He's been unlucky with injuries.'

'He's a good manager who just needs time.'

All bull**** excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

When:confused:

If you truly believe that Chelsea and Mourinho made offers without any dialog with Rooney or his representatives then you dont understand how football works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

magnumbud wrote: »
    didnt they have a bit of a public argument? i mean he would be mad to but (like fergie) mourinho strikes me as a you cross me your out kinda guy

I think Lukaku saw him coming. Lukaku knew he wouldn't be starting regularly this year if he stayed at Chelsea and played up for the move. He's a player that to me looks like he's got his head screwed on. They'll patch it up and he'll go again next summer.

When:confused:

The summer. It was fairly clear in August that they both wanted the move. Rooney's people were leaking to that effect fairly heavily at the time.

beno619 wrote: »
    Not because of our centre midfield, Moyes solved one problem than created another by messing about Januzaj and Kagawa.

We have not been as negative in the past two games.

Sure we haven't. I look forward to the continued improvement in performances brought about the central combinations of Carrick/Fletcher and Carrick/Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I think you can be pretty sure if next season goes the same as this season, he'll be gone fairly quickly. He should be sacked if they finish outside the top four either way, its inexcusable to be fair with the team hes inherited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If Juve are signing a CM they must be selling one of their CMs

Probably Pogba to PSG in the summer

Or, they could just be signing good players even if they already have them. Like top clubs should be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Mourinho tried and failed to address their striker problem simple as and to make it worse he loaned out their best one. I can only imagine the uproar if moyes had done that.

I didn't think Chelsea were that great either time we faced them. If they are higher than 3rd id be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Pro. F wrote: »
    Sure we haven't. I look forward to the continued improvement in performances brought about the central combinations of Carrick/Fletcher and Carrick/Jones.

In my opinion there is nothing in the world wrong with a midfield combo of Fletcher and Carrick if you've got Kagawa or Rooney dropping off in that no. 10 position.

Which is why I, being on the proMoyes side of this battlefield, was put out by the non selection of Kagawa and Fletcher yesterday in favour of Jones and Young/Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

bullvine wrote: »
    I think you can be pretty sure if next season goes the same as this season, he'll be gone fairly quickly. He should be sacked if they finish outside the top four either way, its inexcusable to be fair with the team hes inherited.

If he does not at least sort out LB position and make some attempt to least get 1 CM then failing to get CL means a failure of a season and I think he has to go.

Only 3 things can save him now imo

1. Buy LB and CM

2. Change the playing style and give players who deserve a crack some games and give Valencia few games on bench.

3. Win CL hahahahaha actually no, just 2 things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I wonder who Moyes was looking at in that match. I can't see any hope with Juve's CMs. The talk was all about Marchisio, and he would be a fantastic signing, but I highly doubt he would leave the club. He's a one club man and will be a perfect replacement for Pirlo at regista in time. IIRC Juve turned down a massive offer for Vidal last year (€40m or something), so why would they sell him now? And I doubt Pogba is going to want to come back to United.

United could pay 1.5 times that and still be doing alright, £50m for probably the most complete midfielder around is pretty much a bargain. We should be all over Vidal this summer, and from Moyes' scouting and all the talk of the best players being signed, I think we could be in for him.

even if the reports are true about the £150m available to him we'd still have 100m left to buy a left back, a CB, and a wide player.

Fernando Torres?
    Samual Eto'o ? (today of all days i'm surprised you forgot about him)
    Demba Ba?
    Lukaku loaned out to get game time ?

What about them?
    Its been years since Torres was decent.
    Eto'o did well yesterday but that was down to us more than him. He's not going to lead any team to a title at this stage of his career.
    Ba isn't good enough for a top 4 side
    Lukaku isn't there

United could pay 1.5 times that and still be doing alright, £50m for probably the most complete midfielder around is pretty much a bargain. We should be all over Vidal this summer, and from Moyes' scouting and all the talk of the best players being signed, I think we could be in for him.

even if the reports are true about the £150m available to him we'd still have 100m left to buy a left back, a CB, and a wide player.

The reports are not true. Edit: I have no evidence for this statement, other than experience of United's spending patterns.

£50m would probably represent our entire transfer budget for the year. Spending it all on one player is too much of a risk imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

If you truly believe that Chelsea and Mourinho made offers without any dialog with Rooney or his representatives then you dont understand how football works.
    I think Lukaku saw him coming. Lukaku knew he wouldn't be starting regularly this year if he stayed at Chelsea and played up for the move. He's a player that to me looks like he's got his head screwed on. They'll patch it up and he'll go again next summer.

The summer. It was fairly clear in August that they both wanted the move. Rooney's people were leaking to that effect fairly heavily at the time.

Show me proof where Rooney or his Rep said we want Chelsea?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Ok lads, who would be viable options that wouldn't cost us what the likes of Vidal would cost? Lets say 2 or 3 CM and a LB at least.

Yeah, sure, gimme five minutes and I'll get on to Paul Stretford, get a recording off him to that effect.

I'm surprised you're even questioning this. Wasn't it fairly obvious that he was looking to leave at the time? Isn't one of the plus points of Moyes' tenure so far said to be his retaining of Rooney in the face of this?

Far better than the other guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

KH25 wrote: »
    Ok lads, who would be viable options that wouldn't cost us what the likes of Vidal would cost? Lets say 2 or 3 CM and a LB at least.

For when?

Why can't we afford the likes of Vidal? Getting them to agree to come to us is another matter, but I see no reason we can't afford players at that level. The money is there.

Moneywise, no CM should be out of reach, it is a matter of getting them to agree to come to us that will be the issue.

• Advertisement

Looking ahead...I'm looking forward to Fellaini showing us something which believe he will.
    Searched his fitness there and apparently he had a back injury, was the wrist sorted?

I wouldn't like to see a guy his size start to have back trouble. Didn't he have a good injury record at Everton?

If he does not at least sort out LB position and make some attempt to least get 1 CM then failing to get CL means a failure of a season and I think he has to go.

Only 3 things can save him now imo

1. Buy LB and CM

2. Change the playing style and give players who deserve a crack some games and give Valencia few games on bench.

3. Win CL hahahahaha actually no, just 2 things.

I wonder if we signed a quality left back (and I'd be thinking Baines, for immediate impact) and a quality CM, could we see him dump the underperforming wingers.

Have the two CMs play solid supporting roles, width provided by the full backs and RVP, Rooney, Januzaj and Kagawa as the front four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

ericzeking wrote: »
    Looking ahead...I'm looking forward to Fellaini showing us something which believe he will.
    Searched his fitness there and apparently he had a back injury, was the wrist sorted?

I wouldn't like to see a guy his size start to have back trouble. Didn't he have a good injury record at Everton?

He had an operation on his wrist and had the cast off recently. Back problem sorted itself out i believe.
    I wonder if we signed a quality left back (and I'd be thinking Baines, for immediate impact) and a quality CM, could we see him dump the underperforming wingers.

Have the two CMs play solid supporting roles, width provided by the full backs and RVP, Rooney, Januzaj and Kagawa as the front four.

That sounds really good on paper...

Far better than the other guy.

Sure it was. The performances completely changed as soon as Cleverley was dropped. We've turned the corner now and you can see it in our performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

ericzeking wrote: »

they were delaying his wrist surgery for a while but then he had this back injury and was going to be out for about the same recovery time of the wrist surgery so killed 2 birds with one stone. i'd agree with you hopefully he starts showing why he was worth the fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mourinho still hasn't addressed their striker problem in fairness

How big a problem is it though? Chelsea are two points off top, third top goalscorers in the league and are competing in the FA Cup and Champions League.

Their striker issues are pushed by a media who are giddy at the prospect of huge transfers, they exaggerate it so they can link Chelsea to Rooney, Cavani, Falcao, Costa etc.

Mourinho tried and failed to address their striker problem simple as and to make it worse he loaned out their best one. I can only imagine the uproar if moyes had done that.

I didn't think Chelsea were that great either time we faced them. If they are higher than 3rd id be surprised.

Same Chelsea that embarrassed us yesterday, their in the title race and we are not.
    What about them?
    Its been years since Torres was decent.
    Eto'o did well yesterday but that was down to us more than him. He's not going to lead any team to a title at this stage of his career.
    Ba isn't good enough for a top 4 side
    Lukaku isn't there

They seem to be doing okay with all these poor players.

Not gonna try and convince you of what everyone knows, Rooney wanted out last summer and will probably try again this summer or walk in 2015.

He had an operation on his wrist and had the cast off recently. Back problem sorted itself out i believe.

That sounds really good on paper...

yeah - our team looks good on paper!

I'm not a massive fan of Kagawa at this point, don't think he has done enough even in mitigating circumstances - but figure he won't be intent on hoofing aimless balls into the box, so even if things get a little cluttered in the centre at least it would be a bit more creativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'm not a massive fan of Kagawa at this point, don't think he has done enough even in mitigating circumstances - but figure he won't be intent on hoofing aimless balls into the box, so even if things get a little cluttered in the centre at least it would be a bit more creativity.

True dat!

Is there any news on Evra's injury? we're screwed at left back anyway but even more so with him out and only Buttner for that position.

Coentrau rumours have gone very quiet too, in fact, all the rumours seem to have died down recently, it does not bode well.

Yeah, sure, gimme five minutes and I'll get on to Paul Stretford, get a recording off him to that effect.

I'm surprised you're even questioning this. Wasn't it fairly obvious that he was looking to leave at the time? Isn't one of the plus points of Moyes' tenure so far said to be his retaining of Rooney in the face of this?

Yeh under Fergie he wanted to go but you guys are directly claiming they talked about Chelsea so I'm asking for proof for you to back this up.

• Advertisement

Sure it was. The performances completely changed as soon as Cleverley was dropped. We've turned the corner now and you can see it in our performances.

If you cant see any improvement in a midfield that doesn't include Cleverley well you must be blind, the team that finished vs Swansea was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The reports are not true. Edit: I have no evidence for this statement, other than experience of United's spending patterns.

£50m would probably represent our entire transfer budget for the year. Spending it all on one player is too much of a risk imo.

If we only have 50m available we won't get beyond 4th next year either I feel.

We have to hope the disastrous season so far and the stock price falling so much will make the Glazer's see reason and that we have to spend after so many years of neglect.

Being cheap does long term damage, look at Arsenal. Özil, while not setting the league alight, is pretty much the catalyst for them being top of the league IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Baines looks like he is staying at Everton

I just want Moyes to at least try Plan B. Give us all some hope. Drop Valencia give Zaha a chance.

Give us some hope. Give us a reason to believe he can do the job.

I backed him at the start. I still want him to be the man. But there comes a time when you just got to be brave. If we at least saw progress then I be happy. If I saw he was solving the crisis at LB and CM I be happy.

Jose must have been laughing when he saw the United teamsheet yesterday. No surprise selection, no different approach. Its gone beyond a joke now.

i'm kinda that way about him too. i know he is quality but not sure he suits us but maybe with rooney and rvp fit and januzaj too the 4 of them could offer a bit of an interchanging system for us that could cause problems going forward anything is better than the same tired stuff from valencia at this point

Yeh under Fergie he wanted to go but you guys are directly claiming they talked about Chelsea so I'm asking for proof for you to back this up.

You won't find that kind of proof. If it was there, the club would do them for tapping up.

Same Chelsea that embarrassed us yesterday, their in the title race and we are not.

Were we embarrassed yesterday? We certainly weren't played off the park...we had more possession better passing accuracy and had a couple less of chances, away from home.
    We conceded a deflected goal and a individual error goal which put it to bed.

Don't get me wrong I don't think we played very well, but we were by no means embarassed.

Now if you look at the scoreline and formulate your opinion without actually watching the game then maybe you might come to the conclusion that we went 3-0 down and got a consolation goal, you might say we were embarassed.

I prefer to look at the thing as a whole though.

True dat!

Is there any news on Evra's injury? we're screwed at left back anyway but even more so with him out and only Buttner for that position.

Coentrau rumours have gone very quiet too, in fact, all the rumours seem to have died down recently, it does not bode well.

Buttner having a run in the side is a positive imo, better than persisting with Evra. Moyes might be forced to move for Coentrao as well.

True dat!

i havent seen anything of it yet but if its one that will keep him out for a good chunk (of whats likely his last season with us) surely they would have to push through and get a deal done for coentau

Buttner having a run in the side is a positive imo, better than persisting with Evra. Moyes might be forced to move for Coentrao as well.

No, it really isn't.

Buttner is still a worse defender than Evra is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No, it really isn't.

Exactly. He might be more ambitious and more eager to close down, but his positional sense and passing is dire

J. Marston wrote: »
    How big a problem is it though? Chelsea are two points off top, third top goalscorers in the league and are competing in the FA Cup and Champions League.

Their striker issues are pushed by a media who are giddy at the prospect of huge transfers, they exaggerate it so they can link Chelsea to Rooney, Cavani, Falcao, Costa etc.

I honestly think it will be their undoing this year. They have been fine in the league because the 3 behind them are so good. When they have to face a decent side in the champions league or city in the league in a few weeks it will really show up.

City have settled now in the league after their earlier match in the season (which was only lost through joe hart)

Chelsea would probably be clear at the top of they had a world class striker.

No, it really isn't.

How do we know, has he ever gotten a decent run in the side ?

For all the complaining done about Evra, I dont see anything wrong with trying someone else anyone else same goes for Valencia.

If you cant see any improvement in a midfield that doesn't include Cleverley well you must be blind, the team that finished vs Swansea was good.

If you think our midfield has made any sort of significant improvement, well you must be blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

How do we know, has he ever gotten a decent run in the side ?

You don't always need ten games in a row to know if a player is up to it or not.

''He needs a decent run of games in the side'' has just turned into one of those excuses pundits use when they either just don't know how good a player is or if they don't want to criticise him.

If you think our midfield has made any sort of significant improvement, well you must be blind.

Yes Fletcher has improved the midfield. Would you disagree ?

• Advertisement

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    You don't always need ten games in a row to know if a player is up to it or not.

''He needs a decent run of games in the side'' has just turned into one of those excuses pundits use when they either just don't know how good a player is or if they don't want to criticise him.

Regardless, why not give him a chance when Evra has been piss poor.

Yes Fletcher has improved the midfield. Would you disagree ?

I've already told you my opinion. If you couldn't follow it the first time there's no point in me repeating it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Regardless, why not give him a chance when Evra has been piss poor.

Because when he's played he hasn't been any better and is still worse than Evra when it comes to the fundamentals.

And as much as it can sound good to try out other options when things are bad, it can also be seen as desperate and trying things for the sake of it because you're all out of solutions.

Not gonna try and convince you of what everyone knows, Rooney wanted out last summer and will probably try again this summer or walk in 2015.
    You won't find that kind of proof. If it was there, the club would do them for tapping up.

Grand well we're signing Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta and Guardiola is going to coach us.

I've already told you my opinion. If you couldn't follow it the first time there's no point in me repeating it now.

It's a simple yes or no, your lack of straight answers to a simple question says a lot.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement