Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Anyone who watches Kagawa play (the odd time he does) and genuinely don't see his class both confuse and annoy me. It's one thing getting into long winded debates to make yourself sound knowledgeable about Cleverley, Wellbeck or the likes of Nani but Kagawa is the real deal.

Whether he is actually suited to the hustle and bustle of English football is another completely separate point but his class, composure and general all round sexiness with a football at his feet shouldn't even be up for debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Mata Rooney Januzaj
    RVP

I think that would be great with those 3 inter changing, We always seem to worry about fitting players in, Arsenal had better attacking options than us before signing Ozil looked how that faired out, Injurys take there toll and we could have done with a signing like Mata in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Anyone who watches Kagawa play (the odd time he does) and genuinely don't see his class both confuse and annoy me. It's one thing getting into long winded debates to make yourself sound knowledgeable about Cleverley, Wellbeck or the likes of Nani but Kagawa is the real deal.

Whether he is actually suited to the hustle and bustle of English football is another completely separate point but his class, composure and general all round sexiness with a football at his feet shouldn't even be up for debate.

Agreed, I'm dreading watching his quality in the WC

Would there be any possibility that Rooney only stayed on for another season a la Ronaldo a few years back on a gentlemans agreement that he'd go to Chelsea this summer and Mata coming the other way now is the slight sweetener for us?

I hate transfer windows. I really hate them for what they turn me into :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

surely that's the only relevant point here given he plays for Manchester United in the Premier League?

Effectively what you're saying is he's a class act with oodles of time and space on the ball back in the Bundesliga against Micky Mouse opponents.

That's not much good to United. He needs to adapt and fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Fergie started Kagawa against Madrid didn't he? Yeah, definitely thinks he's crap, like that Nani lad too. Never done anything either of them.

surely that's the only relevant point here given he plays for Manchester United in the Premier League?

Effectively what you're saying is he's a class act with oodles of time and space on the ball back in the Bundesliga against Micky Mouse opponents.

That's not much good to United. He needs to adapt and fast.

Yeah Bayern Munich, the biggest mickey mouse opposition in the world.

surely that's the only relevant point here given he plays for Manchester United in the Premier League?.
    A classy player doesn't suddenly become useless irrespective of who he plays for or where so it's completely irrelevant.

Liam O wrote: »
    Fergie started Kagawa against Madrid didn't he? Yeah, definitely thinks he's crap, like that Nani lad too. Never done anything either of them.

Taking your irony aside for a second - Do you believe Nani and Kagawa have done well on the whole?

No rival club quakes in their boots when they see Nani on the team sheet. Ditto Kagawa.

Whereas when you see Yaya Toure, Hazard, Ozil on team sheets a lot of clubs **** themselves.

Neither Nani or Kagawa are the quality of player Manchester United should be having in that midfield. It's a shambles. In the late 1990s there was arguably 4 genuine world class players in that midfield (and Becks wasn't far off Keane,Giggs and Scholes) and now there's not even one. Nobody is even close to world class in it.

Even six years back there was Ronaldo, Scholes in there. At least 2 world class players. Adnan has potential to be in that bracket but he's a long way off it still.

Yeah Bayern Munich, the biggest mickey mouse opposition in the world.

sorry my mistake i didn't realise Dortmund play Bayern 38 times a year.

If he's as good as you think why were Dortmund eager to cash in? And why hasn't be done a tap in the Premier League barring one hat-trick against a Norwich side who would have been as well playing Delia central midfield they were that bad.

• Advertisement

A classy player doesn't suddenly become useless irrespective of who he plays for or where so it's completely irrelevant.

what? that's a nonsense.

Veron was world class and was largely useless in the Premier League (relative to his ability).

It's 100% relevant where he plays. If he's going to be useless or average at best in the Premier League then there's no point him being there!! Ship him back off to Germany where he can dance around the midfields of Freiburg and Hoffenheim who, to be fair, would struggle to get out of the championship.

If he's as good as you think why were Dortmund eager to cash in? And why hasn't be done a tap in the Premier League barring one hat-trick against a Norwich side who would have been as well playing Delia central midfield they were that bad.

If you can produce anything claiming Dortmind were eager to cash in I'll let you have it. Just know I have quotes from a certain Mr. Klopp I can produce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Last year of his contract and he wanted to move to the EPL. If he had wanted to stay, Dortmund definitely would have given him a new contract, they didn't 'cash in' as you put it.

If you can produce anything claiming Dortmind were eager to cash in I'll let you have it. Just know I have quotes from a certain Mr. Klopp I can produce.
    Blatter wrote: »
    Last year of his contract and he wanted to move to the EPL. If he had wanted to stay, Dortmund definitely would have given him a new contract, they didn't 'cash in' as you put it.

neither have answered why he has been muck in the Premier League.....

I suppose the excuses will be dragged out now....taking time to adapt....played out of position......etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I suppose the excuses will be dragged out now....taking time to adapt....played out of position......etc etc etc

You think playing out of position isn't a reasonable excuse. How did Scholes and Rooney do when they were played on the wing?

You honestly think that it never happens that a world class player goes to another club, gets fúcked around and his form drops?

Pro. F wrote: »
    You think playing out of position isn't a reasonable excuse. How did Scholes and Rooney do when they were played on the wing?

You honestly think that it never happens that a world class player goes to another club, gets fúcked around and his form drops?

Scholes and Rooney on the whole didn't end up on the wing very often as they were world class in their natural positions.

Kagawa has clearly not done enough in training and/or his PL displays to nail down a place in his best position.

If he was absolutely flying, Moyes and/or SAF would have accomodated him somehow even if it meant playing 2 up top (Rooney and RVP).

Top class players get into their best positions and force managers to work around them. He's nowhere near world class and is nowhere near forcing Moyes into that sort of change.

Look i liked him at Dortmund too! I'm sure most people did.... but he's not done it at United (so far). Full stop. And time is running out on his Premier League adventure. If things don't improve for him soon he'll be away back to Germany - where he'll probably once again look a serious player against weak Bundesliga sides where he has a lot more time and space than in the PL.

I wasn't commenting on his performances in the EPL, I was just explaining to you how the transfer came about. It certainly wasn't a case of Dortmund being happy to get the money for him, as you implied. It's well known that they would've loved to have kept him.

Scholes and Rooney on the whole didn't end up on the wing very often as they were world class in their natural positions.

Kagawa has clearly not done enough in training and/or his PL displays to nail down a place in his best position.

If he was absolutely flying, Moyes and/or SAF would have accomodated him somehow even if it meant playing 2 up top (Rooney and RVP).

Top class players get into their best positions and force managers to work around them. He's nowhere near world class and is nowhere near forcing Moyes into that sort of change.

Scholes refused to play and threatened to leave the club until Fergie stopped playing him on the wing. Rooney played utter shíte until he was dropped and then had a massive falling out with Fergie. There are also plenty of other examples of world class players going to clubs, being fúcked around and played out of position, never finding their form and subsequently moving on to another club. The idea that world class players are always accommodated in every squad is idiotic.
    Look i liked him at Dortmund too! I'm sure most people did.... but he's not done it at United (so far). Full stop. And time is running out on his Premier League adventure. If things don't improve for him soon he'll be away back to Germany - where he'll probably once again look a serious player against weak Bundesliga sides where he has a lot more time and space than in the PL.

Yeah sure, that's what it was exactly. He was just looking good in a league where you get acres of space. That's a much more edgy opinion to have. You've done well for yourself there. Smooth.

Taking your irony aside for a second - Do you believe Nani and Kagawa have done well on the whole?

No rival club quakes in their boots when they see Nani on the team sheet. Ditto Kagawa.

Whereas when you see Yaya Toure, Hazard, Ozil on team sheets a lot of clubs **** themselves.

Neither Nani or Kagawa are the quality of player Manchester United should be having in that midfield. It's a shambles. In the late 1990s there was arguably 4 genuine world class players in that midfield (and Becks wasn't far off Keane,Giggs and Scholes) and now there's not even one. Nobody is even close to world class in it.

Even six years back there was Ronaldo, Scholes in there. At least 2 world class players. Adnan has potential to be in that bracket but he's a long way off it still.
    Ahhhh. Kagawa's getting the brunt of your frustration at the general shambles of our midfield. That makes it easier to understand. No less right but still easier to understand.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Scholes refused to play and threatened to leave the club until Fergie stopped playing him on the wing. Rooney played utter shíte until he was dropped and then had a massive falling out with Fergie. There are also plenty of other examples of world class players going to clubs, being fúcked around and played out of position, never finding their form and subsequently moving on to another club. The idea that world class players are always accommodated in every squad is idiotic.

Yeah sure, that's what it was exactly. He was just looking good in a league where you get acres of space. That's a much more edgy opinion to have. You've done well for yourself there. Smooth.

it's not even up for debate that there's more time and space in the Bundesliga. Watch any match you want next weekend in Germany.

Name some of these World Class players messed around played out of position.....

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    I wasn't commenting on his performances in the EPL, I was just explaining to you how the transfer came about. It certainly wasn't a case of Dortmund being happy to get the money for him, as you implied. It's well known that they would've loved to have kept him.

I know it's a highly unlikely event but if Klopp was determined to keep him AND Kagawa loved Dortmund like he said he did, then he could easily have dragged his feet and made him play out the remaining year of his contract in the hope of convincing him to sign.

Risky, yes, but has been done before elsewhere. Cashing in was the easy option and certainly £17m beats zero by a long way.

All i'm saying is if Kagawa was so vital to Klopp he didn't exactly show that in deeds - tying him down to a long term deal and/or convincing him to give him a few more years and/or reluctantly making him play down his contract risking losing him for nought.

I know it's a highly unlikely event but if Klopp was determined to keep him AND Kagawa loved Dortmund like he said he did, then he could easily have dragged his feet and made him play out the remaining year of his contract in the hope of convincing him to sign.

Risky, yes, but has been done before elsewhere. Cashing in was the easy option and certainly £17m beats zero by a long way.

All i'm saying is if Kagawa was so vital to Klopp he didn't exactly show that in deeds - tying him down to a long term deal and/or convincing him to give him a few more years and/or reluctantly making him play down his contract risking losing him for nought.

He had a year left on his contract, it was his 'dream' to move to the EPL and Klopp respected that. Nothing more to it imo.

When Kagawa was at Dortmund (and even when he left) it has been clear from Klopp's comments that he valued Kagawa extremely highly. He said this to the Guardian in May...

"Shinji Kagawa is one of the best players in the world and he now plays 20 minutes at Manchester United – on the left wing! My heart breaks. Really, I have tears in my eyes."

it's not even up for debate that there's more time and space in the Bundesliga. Watch any match you want next weekend in Germany.

I watch Bundesliga all the time. There is far more pressing, and therefore less space, in Bundesliga than in the EPL. The weakness in Bundesliga teams tends to be the high and poorly organised back lines.
    Name some of these World Class players messed around played out of position.....

Sneijder, van der Vaart, Higuain and Kaka at Madrid. All excellent players, all fannyed about with on the wing, all suffered because of it.

So because Klopp sold a player who wanted to leave and had one year left on his contract rather than keeping the player and risking losing him for free, Klopp didn't really rate that player... Your logic is painfully stupid.

The Guardian are running with the Mata story as well. Looks like it may have legs but I'd be very surprised if Chelsea sold him to United in January. Though if the figure is £37m, they may think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Regarding Mata - peole saying Chelsea wont sell to United as they see them as a rival. United are out of the CL and will struggle to make 4th. We dont have to play Chelsea again in the League but we do have to play the other the other 3 teams. If Mourinho doesnt rate Mata then fair enough - but selling him to us would make us a bit stronger for the games with City, Liverpool and Arsenal - and may end up with us taking points off them which would inevitably help Chelsea win the title if they keep their own house in order. Mopurinho is looking at United and seeing a club in turmoil right now - not as a serious rival.

"Neither Nani or Kagawa are the quality of player Manchester United should be having in that midfield..."
    But Young, Valencia and Cleverly are? Gimme a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

In the wake of widespread paper reports on Tuesday that Manchester United could be about to sign Juan Mata from Chelsea, one incident from Sunday’s meeting between the Blues and Red Devils is now gaining extra attention.
    Following Chelsea’s 3-1 win over David Moyes’ reigning champions at Stamford Bridge, cameras caught a meeting of head honchos on the West London pitch.
    Whilst few words were exchanged, Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich was spotted meeting, greeting and shaking hands with Man United’s Sir Alex Ferguson, former chief executive David Gill and the current chief exec Ed Woodward.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/does-a-handshake-mata-chelseas-abramovich-shook-hands-with-fergie-gill-woodward-after-the-man-united-game/

Fergie, Gill and Woodward met Roman after the Chelsea game. So much reading between the lines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

kstand wrote: »
    Regarding Mata - peole saying Chelsea wont sell to United as they see them as a rival. United are out of the CL and will struggle to make 4th. We dont have to play Chelsea again in the League but we do have to play the other the other 3 teams. If Mourinho doesnt rate Mata then fair enough - but selling him to us would make us a bit stronger for the games with City, Liverpool and Arsenal - and may end up with us taking points off them which would inevitably help Chelsea win the title if they keep their own house in order. Mopurinho is looking at United and seeing a club in turmoil right now - not as a serious rival.

"Neither Nani or Kagawa are the quality of player Manchester United should be having in that midfield..."

:confused: we're still in the champions league

:confused: we're still in the champions league

Sorry - should have read we're out of the cup. Yeah, we're still in the CL but right now we're going to struggle to get past Olympiacos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The flip side is Chelsea want rooney. So why sell to utd and make them stronger increasing the chances of making the top 4. Surely chelsea will have a better chance of getting rooney in the summer if utd fail to make the top 4

The flip side is Chelsea want rooney. So why sell to utd and make them stronger increasing the chances of making the top 4. Surely chelsea will have a better chance of getting rooney in the summer if utd fail to make the top 4

Hmm - valid point. Rooney though is 28 - he only realistically has another 3 years in him after this summer. Also, what would you prefer - not to give a player to United who might help them take points off your rivals in the run in or let United struggle and fail to make 4th spot but also let your main rivals get 3 points each in the games against them? If Mourinho doesnt rate Mata, then why would be so bothered about not letting someone like United have him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Neither Nani or Kagawa are the quality of player Manchester United should be having in that midfield.

apart from rooney and rvp very few league or european opposition would be intimidated by the ability of any of the players.

that's because of the manager.

the specifics of nani and kagawa can be argued. We all know what nani is like, circa 2010/11 he could make most teams nervous.

but this manager would struggle to get the best out of most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Hmm - valid point. Rooney though is 28 - he only realistically has another 3 years in him after this summer. Also, what would you prefer - not to give a player to United who might help them take points off your rivals in the run in or let United struggle and fail to make 4th spot but also let your main rivals get 3 points each in the games against them? If Mourinho doesnt rate Mata, then why would be so bothered about not letting someone like United have him?

I don't buy the Kagawa excuse at all.

First Fergie and now Moyes don't feel he's good enough for the centre.

Some Arsenal fans said the same about Arshavin being played out of position. The reality is that if Kagawa was doing the job in the centre in training, then he wouldn't be overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Spoke about Mata on here the other day, and how signing a player of his ilk could be the boost the club (manager, players, fans) need to kick on in the remaining games of the season. I think signing him would lift everyone.

In saying that, and I said this the other day as well, I don't really understand where he would fit into the fully fit United side. I know how I would do it, but I don't know if Moyes would do the same, or has the players to do it.

I would change our approach/style to a 4231, with a narrow support three (Mata, Rooney, Januzaj - off RVP) with two solid midfielders (Carrick and Fletcher/Jones) protecting the defence for the most part. Width would be provided mostly by the full backs, with the central midfielders supporting them defensively.

The big problem there is the full backs. If Raf is injured we don't have a right back option to make it work - and on the left side the performances of Evra and ability of Buttner make it a defensive nightmare on that side.

Signing Mata would be potentially fantastic and, imo, have to signal a change in our football philosophy (which I have been screaming for), but I do worry we are at least one player short of being able to implement the tactics required to make it work - Mata isn't a traditional left winger and if he was as good defensively as we would need him to be to fit into our current style, he would be starting for Chelsea.

gosplan wrote: »

Some Arsenal fans said the same about Arshavin being played out of position. The reality is that if Kagawa was doing the job in the centre in training, then he wouldn't be overlooked.

Kagawa's problem isn't a lack of quality, imo, it is Rooney and RVP. He was bought, imo, without the thought of RVP being a United player. But he is.

If we play RVP and Rooney, there simply isn't room for Kagawa to play centrally, and we are (especially under Moyes) pretty much always going to play RVP and Rooney when they are fit.

While both have been out, some of our best and brightest play has been when Kagawa has been given the central role rather than the left side.

Now, Kagawa hasn't performed as he or we would expect regardless of position, but it is also a fact that it would be very difficult for almost any player to force the manager to drop either Rooney or RVP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Mata is best in the no. 10 position, so he could compete with Rooney, Kagawa and Januzaj for that.

I would have had a box-to-box midfielder as no.1 priority, along with a left back, but if he signs him I'd happily give Moyes another half year as at least he moved from his position of complete inaction with accompany poor results. Maybe he does even have a plan.

(I don't expect us to get Mata, but we'll see)

gosplan wrote: »

Kagawa has looked good a lot of the time he has played in front of the midfield - thing is though, most opf the time he has been outy on the left.
    Now Gary Neville made a good point about Mata - with the orthdox United 4-4-2 formation, where does Mata fit if you play Rooney and RVP as well? He reckoned the only real option would be to change the formation. Play some sort of 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. With no wide players as such, become narrower across the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Kagawa's problem isn't a lack of quality, imo, it is Rooney and RVP. He was bought, imo, without the thought of RVP being a United player. But he is.

Being dropped for Ashley Young on Sunday, after producing a great display in his last match, sends a clear message to him.

He's not stupid, and I he has his pride too, so expect that he'll ask to go.

Just realised, when I was discussing the midfield two that could back up a narrower front 4 and support the defence more, I completely forgot Fellaini was a United player. heh.

If we could get a partnership working between him and Carrick, it would be a nice boost too.

Sign Mata, give Everton 20million in the hopes of getting Baines. Hopefully get better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anyone have an idea when Rooney, RVP and Fellani should be back starting in first team? vs Cardiff for any of them I wonder?

• Advertisement

Just realised, when I was discussing the midfield two that could back up a narrower front 4 and support the defence more, I completely forgot Fellaini was a United player. heh.

If we could get a partnership working between him and Carrick, it would be a nice boost too.

Sign Mata, give Everton 20million in the hopes of getting Baines. Hopefully get better results.

feillaini is not a central midfielder - he looks like a fish out of water playing there.

Give Everton 15m plus Young for Barkley - and get Coentroa in on loan.

feillaini is not a central midfielder - he looks like a fish out of water playing there.

Except he is a central midfielder, and plays there for belgium, and has played there a lot for Everton, though also used a lot further forward.

He has been poor in central midfield for United - but IMO that is down to playing poorly, not being poor.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea when Rooney, RVP and Fellani should be back starting in first team? vs Cardiff for any of them I wonder?

I think all should be available for Cardiff, though would be shocked if they all started.

I think all should be available for Cardiff, though would be shocked if they all started.
    Possibly give them all match time v Sunderland to ease them back I wonder? ... One thing is for sure we need all three back to push for 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Heard on the radio saying that medics say RVP is fit but he says he needs more time. Hopefully its just a bs report

Hococop wrote: »
    Heard on the radio saying that medics say RVP is fit but he says he needs more time. Hopefully its just a bs report
    How could he be fit but needs more time? ... To think about the injury he just got over ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

How could he be fit but needs more time? ... To think about the injury he just got over ? :)

Weather its the media trying to create controversy by saying he is unhappy. It could all be lies like them saying he would be out for another 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Hococop wrote: »

They could be trying to rush him back hopefully not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sky reported that(or they may have been quoting a paper) the Utd physio thinks that RVP is fit but that the player himself doesnt and needs more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

lordgoat wrote: »
    To be fair he's played better since I posted. But he's too greedy and doesn't work hard enough without the ball imo. (tonight)

RE: Zaha

Watched this last night in relation to the stories over the weekend of Zaha storming out of talks, and Moyes and his staff feeling the player isn't adapting to live at a big club, and not taking on the responsabilities required for a top clubs winger.

Saw some of it in abundance last night, no desire to track back, greedy in possesion, wasteful.....

Think I'm starting to form a reason as to why I'm not seeing him play more, and if it's the case I fully support it.

I'm with you on this, clearly not ready to step up into the first team. While Young and Valencia might not be on form, they atleast are done some form of work in terms of tracking back, making runs and attempting to do the right things. Zaha looking like he's either out od his depth, or having a strop. Needs to get his head in order or he will just become another in a long line of talented kids that ego's ruined a big opportunity.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement