Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just looking back over the posts re Lee Catermole,

Good job Thomas Gravesen is retired :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Of course it matters. Most people were happy enough with last season, yet the only difference was a goal here or there.

For example, last season United won 16 games by only one goal. A goal here or there was responsible for 32 points. United didn't win the league by tearing people apart, they won it by fine margins despite the points difference, and the supporters were generally happy enough with that.

Interestingly, in those 16 games Van Persie scored in 10 - he is sorely missed.

If 6 of those 16 had ended in draws instead of wins, United would not have won the league, and 5 of them were only won through very late goals and penalties.

Fine margins.

Being happy with the performances (and squad) because of results - is a large of the reason we are in this mess of relying on Young, Valencia, Cleverley, Anderson, Jones and Giggs in our midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

kippy wrote: »
    You're basicilly saying that the performances have been crap, so even if United were sitting in fourth or higher fans wouldnt be happy with how games were being won?

It is a results game, but if we sort the performances the results will come. This is just trying to explain why I was not jumping through hoops when we went on our little 6 game winning spree, we beat some bottom half teams and got the points but we were still playing muck.

I would honestly be happy to forgo the results if I could see that Moyes was implementing some overall plan that would bear fruit in the future. The problem is that I can't see that, I just see the same old Valencia/Cleverley combo playing crap, same as it ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Players simply have to be recruited this window, it doesnt matter if they are not going to be have big role to play in the next five years, we need fresh impetus to help the cause right now, nothing wrong with reinforcements who only have a short term shelf life. If they help to ensure CL qualification they will have paid for themselves and keeps the club steady.

Further rebuilding can be done over the coming months and years, I would like the club to stay in a position to be offering the top players instant CL football since the competition is so fierce for them. Even the top youth talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Being happy with the performances (and squad) because of results - is a large of the reason we are in this mess of relying on Young, Valencia, Cleverley, Anderson, Jones and Giggs in our midfield.

I think a lot of people agreed that the performances last season weren't good enough and that United needed to improve regardless of the fantastic number of points on the board at the end of the season. I'm not disputing that.

What I am saying is that I'd rather last year's performances than this year's, and that if Moyes can deliver on his word that the team is about to get a "little bit" better, we will be back to that level and it will be enough to drag the club up the table and into the top 4. We can worry about building on that then.

Because the team weren't great last year, and they're not actually that much worse this year. They're a little bit worse, and it's enough to undeniably expose the issues with the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Is his surname Evra?

McDermot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

kryogen wrote: »
    Players simply have to be recruited this window, it doesnt matter if they are not going to be have big role to play in the next five years, we need fresh impetus to help the cause right now, nothing wrong with reinforcements who only have a short term shelf life. If they help to ensure CL qualification they will have paid for themselves and keeps the club steady.

Further rebuilding can be done over the coming months and years, I would like the club to stay in a position to be offering the top players instant CL football since the competition is so fierce for them. Even the top youth talent

I totally agree on this.
    The club simply have to make changes in this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

It shows where the problem seems to lie. Where your obvious weakness is. Central midfield.

Does it really? It can show whatever you want it to show, depending on your argument.

We didn't have a center midfield problem in 2012/2013, according to the heat maps comparing last season and so far this season, on the basis that the play is more balanced and results were better.

Clearly, that is not the case and our CM has been below par (to put it mildly), for quite a few seasons at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Good job Thomas Gravesen is retired :D

And if you've seen the pictures he is REALLY enjoying his retirement too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

What I am saying is that I'd rather last year's performances than this year's, and that if Moyes can deliver on his word that the team is about to get a "little bit" better, we will be back to that level and it will be enough to drag the club up the table and into the top 4. We can worry about building on that then.

I do agree with what you are saying, but to be honest I think you are focusing way too much on the words that he said, rather than the intent behind them.

He could try to get the same point across 10 times and say it 10 different ways. Whether he says a little, a lot or just better, is largely irrelevant as long as things do start to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

kryogen wrote: »

You'd think the business plan would include ~£50m to help the new manager that replaces Ferguson, on top of what would have been spent if Ferguson had stayed. That money being a short term hit to compensate for the greatest manager ever retiring.

It's grand to talk about long term value, and getting players at the right age/value, but sometimes you have to take a short term "value" hit.

There just doesn't seem to have been any sort of coherent plan coming out of the club with regards to how Ferguson's succession has been planned, and that's been the biggest disappointment for this season.

Ferguson of the late 90's, mid-noughties would have let Rio/Anderson/Evra etc. go by now, and had them replaced, Scholes would not have been taken out of retirement, he lost that ruthlessness since 2009 (when Ronaldo left) and the effects are coming through now, unfortunately, Moyes hasn't taken the initiative to do the same thing, despite clearing out the back room staff.

astrofool wrote: »
    You'd think the business plan would include ~£50m to help the new manager that replaces Ferguson, on top of what would have been spent if Ferguson had stayed. That money being a short term hit to compensate for the greatest manager ever retiring.

It's grand to talk about long term value, and getting players at the right age/value, but sometimes you have to take a short term "value" hit.

There just doesn't seem to have been any sort of coherent plan coming out of the club with regards to how Ferguson's succession has been planned, and that's been the biggest disappointment for this season.

Ferguson of the late 90's, mid-noughties would have let Rio/Anderson/Evra etc. go by now, and had them replaced, Scholes would not have been taken out of retirement, he lost that ruthlessness since 2009 (when Ronaldo left) and the effects are coming through now, unfortunately, Moyes hasn't taken the initiative to do the same thing, despite clearing out the back room staff.

How do you think the fans would have responded if he (Moyes) sold Rio, Evra and Anderson in the Summer window (maybe apart from Anderson)??

There would have been carnage, even the thoughts of replacing Evra at the time were fairly shot down on this forum.

Yeah - theres a time to wield the axe, and those players are surely on the end of it in this window or the next, but only, I would suggest when viable replacements have been secured.

(Id agree with the rest of your post, makes a lot of sense.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

How do you think the fans would have responded if he (Moyes) sold Rio, Evra and Anderson in the Summer window (maybe apart from Anderson)??

There would have been carnage, even the thoughts of replacing Evra at the time were fairly shot down on this forum.

Yeah - theres a time to wield the axe, and those players are surely on the end of it in this window or the next, but only, I would suggest when viable replacements have been secured.

Dont think anybody would have complained if suitable replacements were brought in.

Publicly flirting with Baines and not getting the deal done was silly would definitely upset somebody like Evra, highly respected vice captain ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

astrofool wrote: »

Hold on now Ferdinand was in the team of the season last year, Evra was not awful last year and Anderson yes could have went. It's all great with hindsight if Moyes had got rid of Evra and Ferdinand on last year's performances he would have been lynched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I am a bit disappointed with Harrisons comments to SSN you know, doesnt do anything to help this situation. Extremely unhelpful actually and out of order. Only thing it serves to do is put more pressure on the manager and the team. I understand he isnt happy his friends lost their jobs etc, I happen to agree that it was wrong to change some of the backroom staff but to say he doesnt think Moyes will turn this around and he needs to get help from Fergie is a disgrace tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think if proper replacements were signed to replace those 3 players the majority of fans would know it was for the best.Rio retire,Evra back to France and Ando ???
    Baines,Strootman and Zouma were signed as their direct replacements it would be seen as a step forward unless we paid way over the odds.None of those players are unrealistic and wouldn't have cost a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I agree with you. as I said yesterday, I just want Moyes to give me something, ANYTHING, to pin some hope to. There is nothing so far, not in what we see on the pitch, not in what we see re. transfers and certainly not in his public attitude to all things United.

Was saying to a mate yesterday - I think Moyes needs to kick someone out of the club, a big name, and replace them with someone else, in this window. Evra, Rio being prime candidates. It needs to be portrayed as Moyes getting fed up with performance levels and getting shot of a senior player who isn't up to it. It would give him more authority over the squad - show there are consequences to not fighting for him. All we have got so far is excuses that signings couldn't be made because they are a squad of champions and Moyes wanted to work with them all and see what they were like, give everyone as much of a chance as they needed. Feck that.

Absolutely, I'd have Evra gone in a heartbeat. Strutting around the pitch, no interest in defending and it would seem he was giving Moyes some backchat on Tuesday night.

He might be well served by getting rid of him and Rio. It's not like we'd miss them for their performances. In fact we are noticablely weaker when Evra, Rio or Giggs play play for us.

Smalling and Evans get a fair amount of stick but if you've ever played centre half with a full back who wont track back you know it causes all sorts of problems. There's no way a back 4 can function if one of them refuses to defend.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Hold on now Ferdinand was in the team of the season last year, Evra was not awful last year and Anderson yes could have went. It's all great with hindsight if Moyes had got rid of Evra and Ferdinand on last year's performances he would have been lynched.

Evra was just as much a liability last year tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

beno619 wrote: »
    Evra was excellent last year. Don't see how he warrants the abuse he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

There's a dude in my office who is the spit of Patrice Evra. Hardly a brother?

Is he bad at his job too ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Evra would not be the sort of guy you'd want in your dressingroom when things are going badly. He proved that with the French international team. Huge mistake not replacing him with Baines when given the chance. He has been on the decline for a few years and was poor enough last season if you open your eyes and see it. Fergie even said that Rio was in decline and even his comments this year when dropped saying he was dissapointed not to be told earlier than match day to be left out was a sign of things to come. Defenders not interested in defending is a problem at any club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

beno619 wrote: »

That really is nonsense Evra was not as bad last year. He was average last season nothing special but this season he has been disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

One faint silver lining if Moyes doesn't purchase in the Jan sales...

I'll be able to pick my favourite team and be challenged in FM2015 :)

Here's hoping that doesn't happen though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Trilla wrote: »
    No way, individually they just fall short of them but Yorke Cole Teddy and Ole all played well together!

Take them any day over Welbeck Chico RVP and Rooney

I think their success as a unit is skewing their individualism.

There would be a few things to note, Yorke and Cole had an almost telepathic understanding, Rooney and RVP have not been together long enough to develop this symmetry, as a unit Yorke and Cole were significantly more potent, but as individuals I doubt many would argue that they are a step above or even on the same level as Rooney or RVP.

I'd liken Chico to OGS, however I would agree OGS was significantly greater at linking up the play and his all round game including his intelligence was a step above that of Chico. However, we are talking about a player who was at a more mature stage in his footballing carear.

Regarding Wellbeck and Teddy, we signed Teddy when he was 36? not to sure, that is 13 more years under his belt as a footballer, when wellbeck is in his prime I believe he will be as good as or better than Teddy.

Another thing to factor is the players these forwards had supplying them, Giggs and Becham on both wings, probaly the 2 best wingers the premiership has seen in terms of chances created with Scholes behind them playing intricate ball and defence splitting pass time and time again, all of which the current 4 have to work without.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I was looking forward to this window. Not anymore. I just want the season to be over.

My expectations have fallen from 3rd and maybe a cup, to 4th, to as it stands 6-8th.

Chelsea
    City
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Spurs/Everton/united

Depending on cup runs I can see Liverpool finishing higher (no cups) 3rd. And spurs and Everton pushing all the way. I'm hoping the usual spurs choke kicks in and Martinez teams generally slump towards May so maybe we can get 5th but I think one of them will have enough to hold us off.

I have no optimism simply due to the awful style we play and the lack of fight. Added to this it's no surprise when we now concede and there is only a minimal reaction to going behind.

To think things are going to turn around you need reasons. I can't see any right now. Huge changes need to be made from somewhere.

we signed Teddy when he was 36?

No it was 30 or 31 if I recall, at 3.5m

Why would you think we signed him at 36 when he went on to play for Spurs and Pompey for a few years after 4 seasons with us (I think)
    You are seriously underatting Sheringhams influence, flair, brain and talent by suggesting Welbeck will be better than him.

Long way for Dizzy Wels to get to that level imo

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Cole Yorke and teddy were also bought when they were developed players able to come straight into the team.

Ole proved he was ready by adapting quickly.

These are the types of players we need right now. Developed players. Ready to make an impact. We need to spend big.

This price shouldn't be an issue. If the player is available. (I don't mean stupid bids of 60+m) but Vidal for 40m or Pogba for 30 would be fine by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'm not 100% about this but I think Utd have conceded maybe 4 goals less this season than they had after 20 games last year.

The problem is they've scored 17 less. But you'd imagine RVP would have bagged another 5-10 if he had been fit. Rooney might have done better too but not sure.

So really, you're seeing a drop off in attacking returns under Moyes but he's without his best attackers right now and there was always going to be a drop off from Fergie.

He hasn't done that badly. He's just not able to perform the 3-2 or 4-3 comeback miracles that Fergie made routine last year.

Utd won practically every match in the opening half of last season by conceding first and then coming back to win by a single goal. That's not normal and blaming Moyes for not performing the Fergie miracles is kind of nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I'll add my 2 cents.

I think Jamie Redknapps article said it best that we need an overhaul of the team. We have no proper midfield players or a solid defense anymore. Carrick while good moves like a 40 year old and takes far too much time to make up his mind, plus has tendencies to go missing in games. Fletch is great but just back. The rest are just squad players. The only player who is good enough at the moment is Adnan. Our defense is **** also. It's almost comical at times. Evans isn't good enough. I'd take even someone like Jagielka and expect him to be solid.

The replacements? We need two central midfielders, two CB's (with Vidic going at the end of the season), and a winger. Get out the checkbook Moyes and don't kneejerk into signing the likes of Fellani just because you think the fans expect it. The likes of Oscar, Arteta, Mata didn't cost a bomb - they were from good scouting.

Still believe Moyes can turn it around but there has been many times this season where I think we have no shape and its just route 1 all the time by giving it to Valencia. Our full backs dont even overlap half as much as they used too. Rafael doesn't at all. We need people brought in in January if we expect to get into top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Evra was excellent last year. Don't see how he warrants the abuse he gets.

He really wasn't,he went missing so many times in games it'd drive you nuts.He was so lucky to have others covering his ass.For some reason this season we are getting punished from his mistakes,teams know that he can be got at & are targeting him.
    Raf get's stick for being reckless but at least he'll try to stop a player whereas Evra will wave his hands in the air or just not be in a position to defend at all.

I hope any business we get done this month is completed soon so we won't have a repeat of the farce during the last window as we scrabbled around like a drunk at closing time looking for the ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Trilla wrote: »
    No it was 30 or 31 if I recall, at 3.5m

Why would you think we signed him at 36 when he went on to play for Spurs and Pompey for a few years after 4 seasons with us (I think)
    You are seriously underatting Sheringhams influence, flair, brain and talent by suggesting Welbeck will be better than him.

Long way for Dizzy Wels to get to that level imo

31, I stand corrected, I'm in no way underestimating Teddy, he was a fantastic player with great intelligence and an eye for goal.

However to say that Danny Wellbeck a 23 year old international with 8 goals in 20 games and made his international debut at 19, and who has 8 years to come close to Teddy's standard at the age of 31, well I let you take your own advice, he was one of the most impressive players in englands european campaign on the highest of stages. Contrast that with Sheringham who didn't make his debut until he was 27 going on to play 60 odd games with about 11 goals. Both good players but I'd rate Wellbeck as having a lot more potential.

Wellbeck IMO will be as good if not better than Teddy, again it's just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Looks like we won't be getting Griezmann either,the Sociedad chairman is in Paris for talks with PSG.
    City are sniffing around Matic.

It seems like everyone we get linked with has shed loads of cash waved in front of them by other clubs and we miss out time & again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Welbeck and Sheringham are totally different players. Welbneck will never be as good in the air or have the finesse of touch, passing etc that Sheringham had. Welbeck is very good at running with his two hands out like a child pretending to be a bird.

zerks wrote: »
    Looks like we won't be getting Griezmann either,the Sociedad chairman is in Paris for talks with PSG.

It seems like everyone we get linked with has shed loads of cash waved in front of them by other clubs and we miss out time & again.

Which is why we need to start waving some of the cash United continually say we have.

All well and good saying PSG and City are crazy with money - but the reality of the situation is that is why they will be competing for and winning major honours of the next number of years. If we want to do the same, we have to stop talking about having money, and start proving it.

31, I stand corrected, I'm in no way underestimating Teddy, he was a fantastic player with great intelligence and an eye for goal.

However to say that Danny Wellbeck a 23 year old international with 8 goals in 20 games and made his international debut at 19, and who has 8 years to come close to Teddy's standard at the age of 31, .

Why are you focusing on Teddys form at 31? He scored 76 league goals in 5 seasons for an average Spurs side. Does that not count for anything?

Also they're different players. I think Welbeck will improve but Teddy was a fantastic player.

Finally, ask any England fan about some of Welbecks average international performances, he's record you state below might be a tad misleading.

Robbie Keane has over 60 international goals for the Republic, was\is he better than Sheringham... or Shearer, Rooney, Fowler, Ferdinand, Owen in his prime?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Honest to God, I wouldn't care if we brought in unknowns for pittance right now. Just something, ANYTHING, to show people that the transfer department isn't sitting on their hands would be nice.

I'll add my 2 cents.

I think Jamie Redknapps article said it best that we need an overhaul of the team. We have no proper midfield players or a solid defense anymore. Carrick while good moves like a 40 year old and takes far too much time to make up his mind, plus has tendencies to go missing in games. Fletch is great but just back. The rest are just squad players. The only player who is good enough at the moment is Adnan. Our defense is **** also. It's almost comical at times. Evans isn't good enough. I'd take even someone like Jagielka and expect him to be solid.

The replacements? We need two central midfielders, two CB's (with Vidic going at the end of the season), and a winger. Get out the checkbook Moyes and don't kneejerk into signing the likes of Fellani just because you think the fans expect it. The likes of Oscar, Arteta, Mata didn't cost a bomb - they were from good scouting.

Still believe Moyes can turn it around but there has been many times this season where I think we have no shape and its just route 1 all the time by giving it to Valencia. Our full backs dont even overlap half as much as they used too. Rafael doesn't at all. We need people brought in in January if we expect to get into top 4.

Ah Jamie 'incredible' Rednapp, what he knows about football is not worth knowing.

Most of our problems are caused by midfield and Evra chips in a fair chunk as well. Look at Arsenal this year. Same shaky back 4 and keeper but are riding high in the league.
    I'd put that down to 2 reasons.
    1. They have a midfield that are very comfortable on the ball and this relieves a lot of pressure off the back 4.
    2. They have a midfield that are very good at streching and pulling the opposition out of position with quick passing. This leads to more chances for their strikers along with the midfield chipping in with assists and goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

zerks wrote: »

****ing City will beat us to Cattermole and McGeady :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Paul Pogba will not be going back to Manchester United.......no chance. We have a better chance of getting CR7 back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Ah lads it's not all bad. Moyes is up for December's manager of the month!

master-t wrote: »
    Paul Pogba will not be going back to Manchester United.......no chance. We have a better chance of getting CR7 back.

Pogba was acting the mickey and wanted out. No great loss for the club really and he seems much happier at Juve so best of luck to him.

Which is why we need to start waving some of the cash United continually say we have.

All well and good saying PSG and City are crazy with money - but the reality of the situation is that is why they will be competing for and winning major honours of the next number of years. If we want to do the same, we have to stop talking about having money, and start proving it.
    The reality, unfortunately, is what while united have money relative to 95% of clubs, there are clubs that simply have a near bottomless pit of cash to throw at players and if a player is entirely driven by money United simply cannot compete with 4 or 5 major clubs. Those days are gone unfortunately, and its not because United have less resources than they once had, it's because numerous clubs nowadays have richer owners than Uniteds'.

The reality, unfortunately, is what while united have money relative to 95% of clubs, there are clubs that simply have a near bottomless pit of cash to throw at players and if a player is entirely driven by money United simply cannot compete with 4 or 5 major clubs. Those days are gone unfortunately, and its not because United have less resources than they once had, it's because numerous clubs nowadays have richer owners than Uniteds'.

According to Andersred - United should now be able to afford transfer spends of 60 - 100million per season. not the 14million net we have averaged in general.

While we can't go toe to toe for every player, we should be able to compete at a better level than we have been doing.

Personally I reckon well over 100million will be required in the next 12 months - more if Rooney and RVP leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

JRant wrote: »
    Pogba was acting the mickey and wanted out. No great loss for the club really and he seems much happier at Juve so best of luck to him.

Was it not down to the fact he wasnt getting first team football? probably took one look at Cleverly getting games and went "he's taking the piss now" and jacked it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If we don't get CL I think Rooney will be gone in the summer*, he'll only have a year left on his contract as well so we'll probably get very little.

*If we don't get at least 3 world class players in

• Advertisement

kstand wrote: »
    Was it not down to the fact he wasnt getting first team football? probably took one look at Cleverly getting games and went "he's taking the piss now" and jacked it in.

United wouldn't pay agents fees, and his agent wanted a massive fee. As soon as that Riola fella was brought in, Pogba was off.

He won't be at Juve for long either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

kstand wrote: »

The final straw was when Park and Rafael started in midfield ahead of him in a game.
    Pogba revealed he gave up on trying to impress Sir Alex Ferguson after being overlooked for the new year's eve clash against Rovers.

"I said to Ferguson: 'Play me, and I will show you if I'm ready or not'," the French international told Telefoot.

I joined Juve to silence people who have criticised me, who did not believe in me and said that I would fail.

"Against Blackburn, on December 31, 2011, I was on the bench. Ferguson puts Rafael in midfield with Ji Sung Park. Then I gave up. I was really bummed.

"I joined Juve to silence people who have criticised me, who did not believe in me and said that I would fail."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Honest to God, I wouldn't care if we brought in unknowns for pittance right now. Just something, ANYTHING, to show people that the transfer department isn't sitting on their hands would be nice.

I still have my boots and im a midfield enforcer and an eye for the pass.

If we don't get CL I think Rooney will be gone in the summer*, he'll only have a year left on his contract as well so we'll probably get very little.

*If we don't get at least 3 world class players in

RVP will be off, or looking to leave, as well imo.

Personally, I think a massive reason we need to make signings in January is that we need to show a better, more attractive style of play and a real push for top 4 - not just to attract potential signings, but to show our key players that we are still a club worth playing for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Interesting...

Van Persie and Rooney have only started 8 games together this season, we won six and drew 2

Last season they started 24 games together, we won 19, drew 4 and lost 1.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement