Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

keane2097 wrote: »
    it was a deliberate hack and I seem to remember his trailing leg coming in as a bit of a scissors effort as well.

I thought it was a very immature tackle in that he decided to take the guy down for no reason thinking he would get just a yellow. For that reason alone I think he might have deserved the red although it could have gone either way. Vidic is smarter than this so I was more surprised he did it rather than the red.
    Rafa should have gotten a straight red. 2 footed tackling is never a good thing. I am slightly worried about his maturity as wasn't it him that was sent off against Munich a couple of years ago that essentially put United out of the CL (completely outclassed on the night even before his dismissal).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Did I just read a few pages back something about Dante potentially joining?

Seen him a good bit since I started watching Bundesliga more regularly from last year. That has to be bull**** right? He's an excellent defender, why are they letting him go ?!?!?

That has come out of nowhere and I'd see that as a good signing. Stable the ship anyway for what's been a leaky defence all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Hes average enough tbf. Forgot how awful the transfer window is. Wish it was February already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

TheDoc wrote: »
    Did I just read a few pages back something about Dante potentially joining?

Seen him a good bit since I started watching Bundesliga more regularly from last year. That has to be bull**** right? He's an excellent defender, why are they letting him go ?!?!?

That has come out of nowhere and I'd see that as a good signing. Stable the ship anyway for what's been a leaky defence all year.

The tweet that started it was from a Brazilian pundit who said "Dante is the new Man United defender."

That part was bull****.

Dante however was on TV in Brazil and said that nothing is done, but there is interest from United and he is welcoming it.

It would seem that the interest is real. But like, there is about 10 days left in the window, they'd want to get their arse in gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I thought it was a very immature tackle in that he decided to take the guy down for no reason thinking he would get just a yellow. For that reason alone I think he might have deserved the red although it could have gone either way. Vidic is smarter than this so I was more surprised he did it rather than the red.
    Rafa should have gotten a straight red. 2 footed tackling is never a good thing. I am slightly worried about his maturity as wasn't it him that was sent off against Munich a couple of years ago that essentially put United out of the CL (completely outclassed on the night even before his dismissal).

Yeah that should inform peoples' opinions a bit - is Vidic bad enough to make that tackle by mistake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Delighted to see these two back in action

BehI5R_CQAARU9b.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

@GNev2: United / Barca / Ajax to name 3 have football philosophy's! Surprised some ( mainly younger) United fans aren't more protective of that!!!

It doesn't fcuking work anymore Gary, it's Stone Age stuff and we're getting evidently left behind by teams embracing fluid passing football. We either drop the philosophy or we go out and buy the best wide players in the world to make it work again, something we aren't going to do. We replaced Giggs with Young and Ronaldo/Beckham with Antonio Valencia.

Competition changes and you either adapt or get left behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

And Rooney looking in the best shape of his career, physically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

ericzeking wrote: »
    I think it would be a great gesture if the club sanctioned Rafael further, a heavy fine or something, that type of tackle needs to be stamped out (pardon the pun).

We go on about being more than a club, this is a perfect opportunity to show it.

article-2542381-1ACE8F8300000578-787_634x358.jpg

I agree, nasty challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It works if you have the right players, we dont

Bayern in days gone by showed what proper wingers do. I feel Pep has kinda moved away from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

List of players linked with just in past 21 days

Dante
    Mata
    Gundogan
    Shaw
    Coleman
    Moreno
    Coentrao
    Vidal
    Pogba
    Koke
    Herrera
    Muric
    Reus
    Baines
    Ribeiro
    Cabaye
    Garay
    Lallana
    Mannone
    Marchiso

Who else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

@GNev2: United / Barca / Ajax to name 3 have football philosophy's! Surprised some ( mainly younger) United fans aren't more protective of that!!!

It doesn't fcuking work anymore Gary, it's Stone Age stuff and we're getting evidently left behind by teams embracing fluid passing football. We either drop the philosophy or we go out and buy the best wide players in the world to make it work again, something we aren't going to do. We replaced Giggs with Young and Ronaldo/Beckham with Antonio Valencia.

Competition changes and you either adapt or get left behind.

That applies to the player too. Both Young and Valencia have shown that they are excellent footballers, and they were viable options when they were bought; Valencia especially. He has shown at United that he can be excellent at the highest level.

It's hard to say if it's the clubs fault, the players fault, or a combination of both that they are not playing as well as they can, but that happens, they are not machines.

You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't have things like a good attitude and confidence, then you'll end up looking like a failure or a has-been.

TheDoc wrote: »
    And Rooney looking in the best shape of his career, physically.

RvP looking looking in the best shape of his career, follically! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Dante
    Mata
    Gundogan
    Shaw
    Coleman
    Moreno
    Coentrao
    Vidal
    Pogba
    Koke
    Herrera
    Muric
    Reus
    Baines
    Ribeiro
    Cabaye
    Garay
    Lallana
    Mannone
    Marchiso

Who else?

Cavani!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Dante
    Mata
    Gundogan
    Shaw
    Coleman
    Moreno
    Coentrao
    Vidal
    Pogba
    Koke
    Herrera
    Muric
    Reus
    Baines
    Ribeiro
    Cabaye
    Garay
    Lallana
    Mannone
    Marchiso

Who else?
    Cavani!

Hernanes too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

The 4-3-1-2 formation to me is a lovely little number solid whilst defending ss 4 across with 2 cm that can track back to help and attacking its a dream 2 star strikers and a playmaker behind them its a deadly combination. Defo think the flying wingers is in the past if thats the kinda football we have to play then selling beckham and ronnie was stupid business big money for both or not absolutely stupid business.

Lads its one season give moyes a chance to buy players it has been said here again and again moyes became captain of an ageing and average team.. few players aside a massive rebuild is on the cards..

Diego the brazilian mf could be a super option for us imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Dante
    Mata
    Gundogan
    Shaw
    Coleman
    Moreno
    Coentrao
    Vidal
    Pogba
    Koke
    Herrera
    Muric
    Reus
    Baines
    Ribeiro
    Cabaye
    Garay
    Lallana
    Mannone
    Marchiso

Who else?

Herrmann and Astori

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Dante
    Mata
    Gundogan
    Shaw
    Coleman
    Moreno
    Coentrao
    Vidal
    Pogba
    Koke
    Herrera
    Muric
    Reus
    Baines
    Ribeiro
    Cabaye
    Garay
    Lallana
    Mannone
    Marchiso

Who else?
    The Roma midfielder, and astori think its spelt lb, and cavani, and matic before he went to chelsea

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would be happier to use Kagawa in his favoured position rather than splash out 40m on Mata. That money could be better spent.
    Would like to see another central midfielder and allow Jones back into centre back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Dante
    Mata
    Gundogan
    Shaw
    Coleman
    Moreno
    Coentrao
    Vidal
    Pogba
    Koke
    Herrera
    Muric
    Reus
    Baines
    Ribeiro
    Cabaye
    Garay
    Lallana
    Mannone
    Marchiso

Who else?

Johnson. The bottom of the list is the place for him!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

ericzeking wrote: »
    I think it would be a great gesture if the club sanctioned Rafael further, a heavy fine or something, that type of tackle needs to be stamped out (pardon the pun).

We go on about being more than a club, this is a perfect opportunity to show it.

Do we? Think that's Barcelona.

No point being holier than thou. No other club would do it so I don't care if we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Dante
    Mata
    Gundogan
    Shaw
    Coleman
    Moreno
    Coentrao
    Vidal
    Pogba
    Koke
    Herrera
    Muric
    Reus
    Baines
    Ribeiro
    Cabaye
    Garay
    Lallana
    Mannone
    Marchiso

Who else?

Hamsik aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I would be happier to use Kagawa in his favoured position rather than splash out 40m on Mata. That money could be better spent.
    Would like to see another central midfielder and allow Jones back into centre back.

mata has been one of the best players in the PL the last 2 seasons. kagawa has barely shown glimpse of what he can do choice between them is mata every day

We're we not linked with hamsik

United are persisting with two wingers all the time; likely Mata will be able to perform as a winger. Only Januzai, Wellbeck, Evra and Rafael have done well as wide attacking players this season.

Weirdly not osman haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Delighted to see these two back in action

BehI5R_CQAARU9b.jpg:large

Unfortunately for us Moyes would probably take that to mean Giggsy and one of the blurs in the background!!!

Dante
    Mata
    Gundogan
    Shaw
    Coleman
    Moreno
    Coentrao
    Vidal
    Pogba
    Koke
    Herrera
    Muric
    Reus
    Baines
    Ribeiro
    Cabaye
    Garay
    Lallana
    Mannone
    Marchiso

Who else?

Kew a list of who we weren't linked with might have been shorter!

magnumbud wrote: »
    mata has been one of the best players in the PL the last 2 seasons. kagawa has barely shown glimpse of what he can do choice between them is mata every day

And that is a fair point but I don't think Kagawa ever got a good run in his natural position. He ripped apart one the best leagues in Europe before his move to manchester.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Mata but I think there are more needy positions.
    Best news of the season is Januzaj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Signing Mata would mean a change in the way we play, we should be able to play him with Kagawa and Rooney behind RVP.

It's mouthwatering even thinking about that done properly

And Jan and Nani if we need to have more width

They have been out for so long Rooney is thinning on top and RVP could use a bit of Just For Men now.

Antibac wrote: »
    Kew a list of who we weren't linked with might have been shorter!

:pac::pac::pac:

Think you're right.

Signing Mata would mean a change in the way we play, we should be able to play him with Kagawa and Rooney behind RVP.

I think I just had an orgasm :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

And that is a fair point but I don't think Kagawa ever got a good run in his natural position. He ripped apart one the best leagues in Europe before his move to manchester.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Mata but I think there are more needy positions.
    Best news of the season is Januzaj

he did but sometimes players are just not suited to certain leagues. i know he has been played out of position a lot but he should still be able to show glimpses of his ability. he could prove me wrong and i hope he does but for now i wouldnt pass up on mata for kagawa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

The young lad from Inter Milan, Kovacic

• Advertisement

If Dante does come we will have to steal the Da Silva song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If Dante does come we will have to steal the Da Silva song.

No iced earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Dante
    Mata
    Gundogan
    Shaw
    Coleman
    Moreno
    Coentrao
    Vidal
    Pogba
    Koke
    Herrera
    Muric
    Reus
    Baines
    Ribeiro
    Cabaye
    Garay
    Lallana
    Mannone
    Marchiso

Who else?

Kurt Zouma
    Antonie Griezmann
    Lucas Moura
    Julian Draxler
    Miralem Pjanic
    Kevin Strotmann
    Thomas Vermalen
    Domenico Berardi
    Bruno Gomes
    Patrick Hermann
    Max Kruse
    Elaquim Mangala
    Edinson Cavani
    Aymeric Laporte
    Luis Filipe
    Will Hughes
    William Carvalho

Thats some i've seen/heard

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm getting annoyed with Neville's "Philosophy" stance. I agree in part, but I think he's missing something. United's philosophy has always been to have three levels of players.

1. The young kids with potential to be world class.
    2. The players at the peak of their careers (aged 25-30)
    3. The older players for experience.

The philosophy has been to Buy from section 1 (as Neville alludes to) and let them evolve into 2 and 3 naturally. But right now, United are really lacking players from category 2, at least who can preform at a top level consistantly. You've got Rooney in that bracket, but the others who should be there (Valencia, Young, Kagawa, Nani, Hernandez, Evans) aren't preforming on a consistant basis and are, for one reason or another, out of form and not showing ability.

Without Category 2 firing on all cylinders, there's no point overloading Category 1; right now, we've got a wealth of younger players who have potential, but too much weight being put on their shoulders all at once. And we're full up in category 3 as well.

Despite what Neville thinks our buying philosophy is, it's been a while since we were so sorely lacking in Category 2, and as such, the philosophy needs to change. We need to rebuild the squad in such a way that we have players at the top of their game coming in.

magnumbud wrote: »
    but he should still be able to show glimpses of his ability.

I was at OT last year where he scored a hat trick against Norwich although I would have said he didn't even play particularly well in that game.

Is Mata cup tied for CL?

• Advertisement

Is Mata cup tied for CL?[/quote]

Yes he played 2 games for Chelsea already.

For all you who still believe
    Sam Wallace ‏@SamWallaceIndy 3m Chelsea close to agreeing that Juan Mata can go to MUFC. But it'll take a fee close to £42m for a deal to be done http://goo.gl/llEIA0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I will NOT get my hopes up!!

Aargh they are up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Trying to get United to play narrow and rely on the fullbacks for width, the fad that has gripped this thread by the balls this season, would be doomed to failure with the central midfield we have. In order to make those narrow styles work you need to have a central midfield who are fluid in possession, pretty much the opposite of what we have.

30-33 m id think is enough for him. But needs Must and we need. Imagine. Mata. Dante. Coentrao. Being signed in jan. I Can gaurantee my Wife will be in The labour ward in 9 months and 11 days ;)

If Mata does come I would imagine that is the death knell for Fellaini. Did Everton offer a money back guarantee by any chance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If Mata does come I would imagine that is the death knell for Fellaini. Did Everton offer a money back guarantee by any chance?

Fellaini was bought as a DM. Mata coming means nothing to Fellaini.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This guy reliable?

Fellaini was bought as a DM. Mata coming means nothing to Fellaini.

Really? Fair enough then but I can't see where he fits in unless Jones is tagged as a central defender

This guy reliable?

I think he is alright. One of good ones tbf

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement