Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This guy reliable?

Chief football correspondent for The Independent newspaper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Really? Fair enough then but I can't see where he fits in unless Jones is tagged as a central defender
    Jones is a central defender... so I hear anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Its hard to imagine Chelsea selling Mata to United. Having said that if the offer was big enough they would have to consider. Especially for a player who by all accounts Chelsea do not want to keep

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

£42 million .... Get it done Mr. Woodward ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Sign Mata but we still NEED to sign a cm badly or the attackers won't get the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

At 42 million it would go from pretty unlikely to comically unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

irishfeen wrote: »
    £42 million .... Get it done Mr. Woodward ;)

A tear will stream down his face writing that cheque!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

42m is nothing considering a deal would likely see us get 20-25m of it back in the summer.

But I've long been a fan of Mata. Have watched Chelsea games in the past just to watch him play, and if he signs, I'll be getting a jersey with his name on the back of it ASAP.

Please please please let this be true :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Pro. F wrote: »
    Trying to get United to play narrow and rely on the fullbacks for width, the fad that has gripped this thread by the balls this season, would be doomed to failure with the central midfield we have. In order to make those narrow styles work you need to have a central midfield who are fluid in possession, pretty much the opposite of what we have.

Playing with wingers has been a failure all season. With the exception of Januzai, and Wellbeck even, the wide players have been no help to the central players all season.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Chief football correspondent for The Independent newspaper
    So that's a no then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

So that's a no then?

Probably depends who you ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Please please please let this be true :(

I don't know why you do this to yourself (not just you), you're only setting yourself up to be devastated on the 31st. Then you'll look back and realise that really, you knew it was never going to happen.

A tear will stream down his face writing that cheque!
    It would be his marquee signing so he might force its way through - that and the €180 million that is said to be at the disposal of Moyes/Woodward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Stolen from twitter but this does look nice

BehgSbgCIAAmuQM.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Surely Even With fellaini and carrick in good form. They should be capable of feeding The Ball to Rooney kag and jan. Behind van per. Its All about form form form ahhhhh and No injuries. But If you Dont Trust your full backs you cant Do this. You need two wingers who Can defend. To protect them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

whats the story with Coentrao? haven't heard anything in the last few days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hococop wrote: »

Madrid haven't got a replacement so they won't sell until they do.

Doesn't look good really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Been having his medical sure....:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Stolen from twitter but this does look nice

BehgSbgCIAAmuQM.jpg

Swap Evra and Fletcher for Baines and Vidal and that team is looking good.
    Huge pressure on the fullbacks in that set up Rafa should be able for it but Evra definitely isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If Ed fails to deliver again this thread will explode i reckon!

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Swap Evra and Fletcher for Baines and Vidal and that team is looking good.
    Huge pressure on the fullbacks in that set up Rafa should be able for it but Evra definitely isn't.

Ya agree with you there.

Madrid haven't got a replacement so they won't sell until they do.

Doesn't look good really.

shame hopefully it happens, then again who knows how he would adapt to the English league, watching evra sometimes this season has been a bit frustrating where he seems to make little effort in running back when opposition are on the counter attack.

dahat wrote: »
    If Ed fails to deliver again this thread will explode i reckon!

Hopefully he is just told to sign The cheque. Knowing ed he will prob sign it in € not £

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hopefully he is just told to sign The cheque. Knowing ed he will prob sign it in € not £

be monopoly money

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Nearly time for the old Carlton dance to come out if Mata signs :)

Apparently Dante is not moving this month

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/englishfootball/barclayspremierleague/barclayspremierleaguenews/agent-dante-not-moving-in-january-S11363869176050?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Na he'll just forget the password to the online banking to do the transfer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't know why you do this to yourself (not just you), you're only setting yourself up to be devastated on the 31st. Then you'll look back and realise that really, you knew it was never going to happen.

Oh I know.
    Every window, I'm like....

doctor%20who%20nope%20gif.gif

And then the journalists get all like...

giphy.gif

And I get all like...

6UBIwOM.gif

And then they be like...

tumblr_mc415bYRHL1qjy6x3o1_400.gif

And I go....

tumblr_m7s9atzfNS1rziwwco1_400.gif

Na he'll just forget the password to the online banking to do the transfer

Hahaha try it 3 times at 11pm on deadline day and be frozen out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I'd be shocked if the Mata thing happened.

It's nice to have a bit of lighthearted positivity in the thread though :)

his reaction to being told to give the money to them

tumblr_lfptyjeU2e1qbj46wo1_400.gif

• Advertisement

Quandary wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if the Mata thing happened.

It's nice to have a bit of lighthearted positivity in the thread though :)

We would all be shocked .but f****** Delighted too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Who is the fit chick in 2nd Gif?

Just curious:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Emma Watson the grown up version.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

I would be shocked if Jose sold one of his best players to a rival club. Also, remember this is Ed Woodward we're talking about negotiating the deal. Lets try not to get ahead of ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

For the day thats in it, be rude not to: The 4th iteration of the Winnie The Pooh transfer report.

Last night we were said to be making a bid for Chelsea star Juan Mata, the fee reported to be enough for Chelsea to accept is between £35m and £42m.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/9127125/chelsea-to-listen-to-offers-for-reported-manchester-united-target-juan-mata

What type of player?

Unless you are new to football, or have the memory of a goldfish, I shouldn't need to explain. But Juan Mata is a ****ing genius. To me, issues such as "Will he play?" and "But we need a CM and LB!" are total bollox. Of course we need those positions, but we shouldn't be avoiding legitimate, bonafide superstars because of it. Another thing said is "But we passed on Ozil, why would we go for Mata?" Maybe we learned the lesson that you DO NOT PASS WHEN THE BEST PLAYERS IN THEIR POSITION IN THE WORLD ARE OFFERED TO YOU. For us he could play anywhere in an attacking position, he would need someone to do his defensive work for him though, so perhaps a shift in style is on the cards. Good. Our "style" at the moment is the equivalent of your Dad in those old home movies from the 90's, no bloody style at all.

What are the chances of signing him?

I really don't know. There are a million and one reasons why Chelsea would and wouldn't let this deal happen. Mata needs to move, he is being treated like the ugly stepchild of an abusive coal miner, when he should be treated like the award winning jack russell of awesomeness that he is. It's a world cup year and he has been absolutely shafted by Mourinho's apparent need to make an example of high profile players, which he does every where he goes. A return to Spain is a definate option, but I think he likes the Premier League.

If anything is going to happen we need to put a bloody proper bid in.

Happiness rating were deal to go through:

Tigger.
    Tigger_zps3b652424.jpg

Miguel Delaney (who is actually a friend of a good friend of mine, and a good bloke by all accounts) has done a piece on this odd Dante story which popped up today when a Brazilian pundit declared he was United's new defender.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1688314/manchester-united-yet-make-firm-approach-bayern-munich-dante?cc=5739

Delaney believes it is Dante angling for a new contract, but that there may well be interest from United.

What type of player?

A damn fine CB. A big intimidating beast of a man with decent pace and a very impressive ability to stride out of defence and pick a pass. He is however 30 years old, which makes this a strange link.

What are the chances of signing him?

This is not yet clear. If Dante is looking for a new contract, and Bayern don't offer him one, we could be looking at a very good player at a cut-price who can give us 3 good seasons. If Bayern want to keep him then I agree with Delaney who feels he wants to stay at Bayern, but I believe if that doesn't happy for him he would love to join us.

Happiness rating were deal to go through:

Pooh.
    WinniethePooh1_zps245554fc.jpg

Current overall happiness rating:
    Rabbit.
    Rabbit_zpsd0e4e12f.jpg

The fact that sources such as Sky, BBC and the Telegraph are reporting we want to sign Mata has peaked my interest and lifted me out of Eeyore depression, however, that fact that we have not made a bid... FOR ANYONE, is bloody annoying and has pissed me off, therefore I am at Rabbit status.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Can she play in the "No 10" role :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Playing with wingers has been a failure all season. With the exception of Januzai, and Wellbeck even, the wide players have been no help to the central players all season.

And the central players have been no help to the wide players. So should we play without central players?

The general play from every part of the team has been awful all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I'm getting annoyed with Neville's "Philosophy" stance. I agree in part, but I think he's missing something. United's philosophy has always been to have three levels of players.

He's talking about the philosophy of playing with traditional wide players, not transfer policy or age profile of the squad.

• Advertisement

Think he said they were family pics :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Emma Watson.

Lasher :pac:

I wonder is Dante no1 option and garay the fall back. Why else delay the garay move. He has his bags packed Imo we need improving at the back asap

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

I think we need to keep in mind that Chelsea are rich, don't need to sell, and need Mata as cover for the #10 position.
    If he goes, he'll go in the summer, and probably to a Spanish club, not a direct rival.

This feels like Fabregas all over again.

I think we need to keep in mind that Chelsea are rich, don't need to sell, and need Mata as cover for the #10 position.
    If he goes, he'll go in the summer, and probably to a Spanish club, not a direct rival.

Chelsea had an annual loss of £50 million last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Pro. F wrote: »
    And the central players have been no help to the wide players. So should we play without central players?

The general play from every part of the team has been awful all season.

the problem is not them when they are waiting for the ball its what they do on it. both valencia and young are far too predictable. valencia gets to the line and cross get to the line cross and his crosses either hit the first man or fly all the way for a throw in on the other side. young tends to just get as far but cuts back onto his right foot either shooting or crossing to a very poor effect too. i'm not saying the central players are perfect but to blame them for the wide players is just unfair.

yup and may need to balance to match FFP rules or be kicked out of europe according to reports that i have heard

They are rich BUT finanicial fair play is coming into force and chelsea have had major losses that can't continue. Butr i do think if they do sel it will be to Spain and i can see him going on loan over their until the end of the season at least.

was about to mention this aswell this will affect them in the financial fairplay, also does signing matic mean that raises to 70 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is in Chelsea's interest that United are stronger, right now - they won't face us again, but we will be facing their direct rivals for the title.

was about to mention this aswell this will affect them in the financial fairplay, also does signing matic mean that raises to 70 million?

No the de brune sale evened that out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement