Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

My jimmies are indeed rustled, if this happens expect me to be arrested for streaking down O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Ah here says the boy:pac::pac:.............
    Yeah but this is different, Fabregas and Thiago has officially made me a transfer pessimist :pac: - and that takes some doing for me to be like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Here we go its done

Beh8La4CEAAqqL0.jpg

tumblr_m2arb3loOs1qf4sbho1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Few views from the weekend and on the impending transfers -

* Mata, regardless of where he's going to fit in would be a great signing. He'd also have a bit of a chip on his shoulder with regards how he's been treated. What I like about the potential signing is that the reason Mourinho seems to have dropped him is because he wouldn't stick to the rigidness of his formation in a couple of games. Mata likes to come inside off the left wing and create things from there. The way Moyes teams have been playing, we need wingers who have the brain to know when to drop in and out and I think he fits the bill here. It'd signal to the rest too that we're not going anywhere anytime soon.

* As mentioned elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the end of quite a few careers at Old Trafford this summer. Rio and Evra are 99% gone I'd imagine and Vidic's performances this season haven't warranted an extension IMO. He's lost quite a bit of his pace over the last year or so - injuries have taken their toll. He's been a brilliant player for us and at one time was undoubtedly the best CB in the world. But watching Hazard skip past him at one stage and open up a ten yard gap in about 1.5 secs, the old Vidic would've been able to deal with that either positionally or physically. Other mistakes have occurred - some which have cost us and others we got away with - Sunderland away being a memorable one. Moyes needs to start fresh with two CB's that are going to be there for 5-6 years and develop a partnership between them.

* I'm all for giving Moyes time and all, but if he fails to sign (or at least make realistic bids for) anyone after travelling around Europe for three days on the week of the Chelsea game whilst Phil Neville did the same - then questions have to be asked. One of the biggest games of the year and you're basically gone missing. I know with modern football that Moyes will likely have little to do with match preparation early on in the week but if I'm the players I'm wondering where he's gone to on the week of one of our biggest games.

* BeardedGenius made an interesting point on the Mirror website too with regards players to go after - that we shouldn't be afraid of short term fixes. At the minute our midfield is broken beyond repair with the tools we have available. Cabaye is reportedly available for 22m. Sign him. Bring in Coentrao on loan if needs be. Just because you might look at both options and say "well how about we wait until another player becomes available" -the reality is if we carry on with Carrick/Jones/Fletcher for the rest of the season we're going to be a long way off the top 4. Here Woodward and the Glazers need to be saying 'we'll back you if X becomes a possibility after that as long as you can offload some deadweight in between'. Likelihood of happening though - probably zilch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

I honestly worry that with way things are shaping up no right minded world class midfielder will consider signing for Utd this summer.
    Looks like we won't make champs league and maybe not even top 6....that means any signing sees a club where their first year won't see top level football outside league games....that might be a huge factor in signing ambitious players.

I think in all honestly . If we got mata and lb sorted. A lot of top cm. Would like to play between Carrick/fellaini and Rooney mata. Jan and rvp. With that front 4. And kag. Nani and welbeck in reserve. I can only see one yr out of champions league. Just remember city were not top 4 when yaya signed. Imo getting a top player won't be a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Having a gawk at Roma-juve there...jaysus you can have your Vidal's and Strootmans but Pirlo really is The Man.

Incidentally, this Maicon chap looks a player!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Trivia Time:

Whos the last player to move from Chelsea to Man Utd?

Hint:
    I haven't a fúcking clue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

TheTownie wrote: »
    Trivia Time:

Hint:

Ray Wilkins?? That was yonks though

ericzeking wrote: »
    Having a gawk at Roma-juve there...jaysus you can have your Vidal's and Strootmans but Pirlo really is The Man.

Incidentally, this Maicon chap looks a player!!
    What a man - Classe Diversa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Robson99 wrote: »
    Thats how I see it as well. Kagawa will unfortunately probably be part of the deal if Gundogan is coming this way. Personally I think Mata is a superior player to Kagawa.

Also I think there is something in the rumors linking us with Cavanni. Posssibly see him coming in an Rooney going the opposite direction in the summer.

Next season we could be lining up as follows

Fellani Gundogan

Januzai Mata RVP

Cavanni

And which season are you in now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

v3ttel wrote: »
    And which season are you in now?

Winter. You?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Its not juan mata we are linked with its a chinese national called Whatsa mata

Sorry i get stupid when im nervous god what a signing if this happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Signing Mata would just be

7ea7a6f7c5d1efa8ad23ed97d60475f4be9ad12f5bd7616a60288adcb93a6c91.jpg

so it probably won't happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

TheTownie wrote: »
    Trivia Time:

Hint:

Veron?

Mikel? If that counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

There will be good news tomorrow. I can feel it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

J. Marston wrote: »
    Veron?

Mikel? If that counts.

Veron moved opposite directions, just to be picky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

J. Marston wrote: »
    Veron?

Mikel? If that counts.

From Chelsea to Man United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

nuxxx wrote: »
    Veron moved opposite directions, just to be picky
    From Chelsea to Man United

Yep, my bad.

Haven't a clue on Chelsea to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mourinho is probably trolling us, lead us on until deadline day to get as much from Atletico or PSG as possible.

That would burn his bridge with Rooney but first option on Cavani or Costa is probably just as good.

Hopefully not :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Has pique de gea and i think ricardo? Have they been the only spanish players at united

• Advertisement

Mourinho is probably trolling us, lead us on until deadline day to get as much from Atletico or PSG as possible.

That would burn his bridge with Rooney but first option on Cavani or Costa is probably just as good.

Hopefully not :(

Can't see that. What's more likely is mata deal if it's to be done will be completed soon. And Chelsea might just put a big bid in for cavani or Costa now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Kew was right the last player was Ray Wilkins in 79/80.

And only two players have made the switch, the other was a fella called Graham Moore in 63/64.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Couple of bookies have mata to stay at Chelsea as high as 23/10 :eek:

There's gotta be a bit of value in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Can I just point out the obvious point. United's problems this season have been in part underperforming players but also overly rigid and incomprehensible tactics from Moyes. There have been some fanciful posts here about how Moyes will change the formation to accommodate Mata/Kagawa/Rooney/RVP, or a variation thereof.

But this ignores the somewhat basic point that all season Moyes has played a rigid, outmoded 4-4-2 with for the most part United's rigid but defensively dependable players getting their game (Valencia, Cleverley etc.) rather than a more fluid formation and some of our more potentially creative players (Kagawa, Nani, Zaha etc.) While some of these players have been given the odd chance, and in some cases failed to impress, the players being picked have had repeated chances, and spectacularly failed to impress. THe football has been awful, creativity non-existent (apart from Januzaj) and despite what must be the reason for picking these guys, we are leaking goals all over the place. Yet Moyes is sticking with these guys!

So what possible chance is there of Moyes playing Mata anywhere but rigidly stuck to the wing? With predictable results? Moyes could have played Rooney and Kagawa behind RVP/Welbeck at any stage but he didn't, so I cannot see him changing the shape to accommodate them where they can both do the most damage if he is bought. I agree he would be a tremendous signing creatively, but I cannot see any way Moyes will be able to deploy him to anything like his best, he just hasn't the tactical imagination.

SO actually, I would prefer we did not buy him, but instead focussed on a strong midfielder (Vidal?) to partner Carrick. And then drop Valencia and replace him with anyone of our better players.

I can't believe I don't want to sign Mata but we need to spend money in the right way if you think about the whopping amount we will have to dish out over he next 12 months. Such have we sunk to :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So it's City awaiting us in the finals then (big shock).

Sure what's the worst they could do :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

That's it now heads melted and 10 more days to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That city team is some team, play unbelievable stuff

Quandary wrote: »
    Couple of bookies have mata to stay at Chelsea as high as 23/10 :eek:

There's gotta be a bit of value in that!

9/4 during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

sky88 wrote: »
    Has pique de gea and i think ricardo? Have they been the only spanish players at united

was/is ricardo not portugese?

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »

Eric cantona

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

9/4 during the day

Did u wager?

:rolleyes:

;) sorry lol

;) sorry lol

have you lost your mind with all this Mata talk :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

;) sorry lol
    lol indeed DARK-KNIGHT, lol indeed.....

• Advertisement

On the sky sports app. It appears it's only a matter if time before the deal is done. 32m the fee. Or Rooney in exchange. Utd apparently said no to both but still negotiating and everyone wants the deal to happen including mata.

Quandary wrote: »
    Did u wager?

Got 2's. Only small one.

This is massively positive lads having a player like him at united speaks intention imo having great players attracts big names...

COME ON DAVID MAKE THIS ****ING HAPPEN

apologies for the shouting... how am i gonna sleep tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Anyone remember Sneijder, Ozil, Benzema, Ronaldinho... Multiple 'respected' sources said they were done too.

Until he signs on the dotted line I'll refuse to believe it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Mata won't sign. Jose won't sell to a domestic club. Even if he does sign, he'll be an almighty waste of money as he's so overrated. Not a United player in my eyes. Disappears too often in big games. Hasn't proven himself on the big stage yet. His attitude sucks. All about himself. It's rumoured that he once kicked a kitten just for ****s and giggles. Bad influence on the dressing room. Stay away Mata, please stay away.

Please sign. I think I love you.

• Advertisement

Red Crow wrote: »
    Anyone remember Sneijder, Ozil, Benzema, Ronaldinho... Multiple 'respected' sources said they were done too.

:mad: god damn you......

;)

Ya but there also was Rooney. Berba. Veron. Rvp. And many more hughly exciting signings. We do get some Ya know. Might not all work out though

I'm tagging along with this one too - no point in getting our hopes up for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

If Mata is signed it can only mean a change in formation to 4-2-3-1 because otherwise it wont work

Delaney on espn. says utd s reps have been in London for two days negotiating mata and also an unnamed cm looks like Vidal. V early stages in that he says

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

magnumbud wrote: »
    was/is ricardo not portugese?

There were 2 keepers at that time called Ricardo...one was the Portuguese legend who took off his gloves to save a penalty in a shootout vs England in the Euros and promptly told his team mate to step aside while he tucked away the winner....
    Our lad was Spanish, went on to play for Osasuna through some of their better times iirc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lads, we're not going to sign Mata or anyone near his calibre. Did anyone learn *anything* in recent years.

Chelsea won't be selling Mata to a rival.

If Mata is signed it can only mean a change in formation to 4-2-3-1 because otherwise it wont work

Hopefully

ericzeking wrote: »
    There were 2 keepers at that time called Ricardo...one was the Portuguese legend who took off his gloves to save a penalty in a shootout vs England in the Euros and promptly told his team mate to step aside while he tucked away the winner....
    Our lad was Spanish, went on to play for Osasuna through some of their better times iirc.

oh yeah i knew he wasnt that ricardo but that he was also portugese ah well
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    Lads, we're not going to sign Mata or anyone near his calibre. Did anyone learn *anything* in recent years.

i learned we only sign big players off london clubs berba and of course RVP

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

FutureGuy wrote: »

Worth point out you can get over 2/1 on him to be at Chelsea in February.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/juan-mata/club-after-january-transfer-window

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement