Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Blatter wrote: »
    Rooney and van Persie are two of the highest paid players in the league.

According to the latest estimates, United's wage bill is very close to City's.
    Would I not be right in saying that United only have 3 players earning more than 100k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Bridge93 wrote: »
    You're judging one on the past and one on his first season in a new league. How about you judge them both on this year? Mata being a benchwarmer and Ozil the top player in the team top of the league. Hadn't set the world on fire but has been very good.
    Or judge them both on the past when Ozil was one of the top assistants anywhere in Europe over a number of years.
    Ozil is a better played than Mata.

Mata was better last year at chelsea than Ozil has ever been for Madrid, alas it could be argued that Kagawa was better than both when he was at Borussia Dortmund

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

CSF wrote: »
    Because he is too good for United. He is the best player in his position around. United aren't an attractive enough proposition at present to sign that player.

United can't offer City levels of insane amounts of money. I don't think that is to be disputed, is it?

Can't offer what now? How much are RVP and Rooney on a week? What's that it's more than city's highest earner?

Don't worry about cash at united. You've had your little prattle about united 'not being a big club anymore' now jog on.

They're not even subtle these days. Not style or tact.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I think everyone knows United ****ed up in the summer and Fellaini was a panic buy ,if Moyes wants to keep his job he is going to have to spend serious money this summer and recruit 2 or 3 top players.Vidal imo is the best CM around atm and I there is no harm trying to sign the best.Offer Juve 50m and offer Vidal same wage as Rooney and see how it pans out.
    My point is also that Fellaini was a panic buy. If United could have signed Vidal they wouldn't have had to panic buy Fellaini especially if United have the capability to offer that sort of financial package. I really don't think Vidal would join United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Devil08 wrote: »
    Don't know why people give Xavi stick, still one of the best cms around IMO. Getting on a bit now but guaranteed he will be starting for Spain in wc this year and will have another medal around his neck by the end of it

Wouldn't say it's 100% guaranteed he'll be starting for Spain nor is it guaranteed Spain will win the World Cup.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    Can't offer what now? How much are RVP and Rooney on a week? What's that it's more than city's highest earner?

Don't worry about cash at united. You've had your little prattle about united 'not being a big club anymore' now jog on.

They're not even subtle these days. Not style or tact.
    I don't think that stat of yours is correct...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

to be fair to the fella, YaYa Toure in this seasons form is not far off the best in the world. It's an arguable case at least, more so if he destroys Xavi and Iniesta soon enough (if fit).

He'd be in my top 5 certainly in that position.

Yaya Toure is certainly up there for me, if his list had stopped at himself and Schwein, two guys you could make a case for I wouldnt have an issue with it, I would still rate Vidal as a more complete and better midfielder then both, but he and Schweiny are very close

Xavi is not in the discussion anymore and Iniesta isnt a central midfielder so dunno why he was mentioned at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

kryogen wrote: »
    Nowhere near the best in the world or better then Vidal which is your claim, you were serious then? You also think Iniesta is a centre midfielder? For serious?

What's he a striker? A winger? A goal keeper? He plays in the middle of the park, maybe a bit higher, stop being a d!ck

Would I not be right in saying that United only have 3 players earning more than 100k?

No.

No.
    Who other than Vidic, Rooney and Van Persie earns MORE than 100K a week then?

• Advertisement

Rooney
    RVP
    Rio
    Vidic
    Carrick
    Evra

all 100k plus anyway, dunno about anyone else but when Young is on about 90k it could be possible there are more

Who other than Vidic, Rooney and Van Persie earns MORE than 100K a week then?

Vidic rio and evra off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Pretty mental figures being mentioned - throw 50m for vidal. Not sure we wil be spending that much on anyone.

Mata is not the type of player we need yet is almost too good to pass up. We need the CM and LB positions sorting first but I guess if its a case of this deal or nothing we take this.

Although I'm not getting my hopes up and dont think it will happen

United have 4 players earning 100k or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Those who make the decisions at Manchester United believe he'll be a Manchester United player within 24 hours.

Apparently that's Andy Mitten.

Disclaimer: I got that from Redcafe, who got it from Reddit, who got it from some other forum that Andy Mitten is on so......yeah.

Edit: BxdRM6a.jpg

From Redcafe again.

United have 4 players earning 100k or more.

Are they paid weekly or monthly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

And a few of them are out the door next summer which frees up a lot of wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Probably but they have a lot of players on around 100k/week.

With Ferdinand, Giggs, Evra, Anderson, Young/Valencia and very possibly Rooney all leaving in the Summer, that'd free up a hell of a lot of money to throw at players like Vidal if they wanted to.

From what are supposedly official figures. Carrick is 80k, Evra is 90k and Rio is exactly 100k. All those look about right to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

You're judging one on the past and one on his first season in a new league. How about you judge them both on this year? Mata being a benchwarmer and Ozil the top player in the team top of the league. Hadn't set the world on fire but has been very good.
    Or judge them both on the past when Ozil was one of the top assistants anywhere in Europe over a number of years.
    Ozil is a better played than Mata.

If I had to pick one now I would go with Mata, at the start of the season I probably would have said Ozil due to his reputation. Have you watched Arsenal much this year? I have, probably 95% of their games and Ozil has had much more stinkers than he has had decent performances. He started off well but has been on a downward spiral for months now. Sure he has a few nice touches, but for a large part hes not heavily involved in the game and more of a luxury player. Mata is much more influential. He has been far from the top player for Arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rooney is on between 225k - 300k depending which source you believe. RVP a bit down from that I think.

Most of the senior players are on +100k

And the the younger players (Welbeck, Clevs etc) are north of 60k afaik.

Edit: a few seem to be on 40k, Cleverley is one apparently but Welbeck and De Gea on 70k

Devil08 wrote: »
    What's he a striker? A winger? A goal keeper? He plays in the middle of the park, maybe a bit higher, stop being a d!ck

He does operate quite effectively from the left actually yep.

Yeah, Iniesta is a centre mid the same way Kagawa is

Are they paid weekly or monthly?

Em the page I'm looking at says weekly wage so I presume it must be weekly but I couldn't tell you for sure.
    There are 3 players in 90k a week too but a couple of these 7 will be gone soon freeing up funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Man City, Chelsea. Paris Saint Germain. All much more attractive options for players right now.

How exactly are they much more attractive options for a young player? One is in a crap league and is nowhere near as big a club as United. The others are of a minuscule size when compared to United. Neither have anywhere near as much fans and in Chelsea's case, a hovel of a stadium when compared to Old Trafford. Both have a laughable history and prestige. All 3 clubs are one owners decision away from complete meltdown.

You can see how quickly things can change in football. Just last season United were better than both City and Chelsea. Who's to say United won't be back in charge next season, or the year after. A man of 26 is surely looking to a prolonged stint with a club, and United are as safe a place to be as any of those. They have proven they can splash the cash in recent times and will do so again.

Rooney is on between 225k - 300k depending which source you believe. RVP a bit down from that I think.

Most of the senior players are on +100k

And the the younger players (Welbeck, Clevs etc) are north of 60k afaik.
    Pretty sure Rooney is just (sounds ridiculous to use that word when referring to that amount of money) on 180k. I don't think him trying to engineer a move would have been a thing under any circumstances if he was on that amount of money.

Pretty sure Rooney is just (sounds ridiculous to use that word when referring to that amount of money) on 180k. I don't think him trying to engineer a move would have been a thing under any circumstances if he was on that amount of money.

Ah so you're pretty sure of it.

Just like you're sure Vidal wouldn't like to move to united.

Anything else you'd like to enlighten us on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Em the page I'm looking at says weekly wage so I presume it must be weekly but I couldn't tell you for sure.
    There are 3 players in 90k a week too but a couple of these 7 will be gone soon freeing up funds.

100k a week. I wouldn't know what to do with such magnificent wealth.

Probably while away the days swinging on a hammock being gently fellated by many beautiful ladies.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    How exactly are they much more attractive options for a young player? One is in a crap league and is nowhere near as big a club as United. The others are of a minuscule size when compared to United. Neither have anywhere near as much fans and in Chelsea's case, a hovel of a stadium when compared to Old Trafford. Both have a laughable history and prestige. All 3 clubs are one owners decision away from complete meltdown.

You can see how quickly things can change in football. Just last season United were better than both City and Chelsea. Who's to say United won't be back in charge next season, or the year after. A man of 26 is surely looking to a prolonged stint with a club, and United are as safe a place to be as any of those. They have proven they can splash the cash in recent times and will do so again.
    Very few players go for stadium, amount of fans and prestige these days. The quality of life in Paris makes them an amazing option for any player, hence why you've seen the likes of Thiago Silva, Edinson Cavani and Zlatan Ibrahimovic (who if you go by the criteria you've mentioned are far too big to go there) end up there.

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    If I had to pick one now I would go with Mata, at the start of the season I probably would have said Ozil due to his reputation. Have you watched Arsenal much this year? I have, probably 95% of their games and Ozil has had much more stinkers than he has had decent performances. He started off well but has been on a downward spiral for months now. Sure he has a few nice touches, but for a large part hes not heavily involved in the game and more of a luxury player. Mata is much more influential. He has been far from the top player for Arsenal

Everyone has different opinions I suppose. Stinkers is a big over the top and Mata hasn't even been playing.
    Not much in it and I'm sure plenty on either side of the debate. Both quality at their best.

Ah so you're pretty sure of it.

Just like you're sure Vidal wouldn't like to move to united.

Anything else you'd like to enlighten us on?
    Not exactly. I could repeat that Vidal won't join United while sticking my tongue out and then make a little song about it if it would help you in your quest to make me out to be a troll for no real reason other than of being of that particular opinion.

Forbes had his salary last year at 10.7m per year and you can bet he has performance add ons to that as well.

10.7m a year is about 204k a week.

Very few players go for stadium, amount of fans and prestige these days. The quality of life in Paris makes them an amazing option for any player, hence why you've seen the likes of Thiago Silva, Edinson Cavani and Zlatan Ibrahimovic (who if you go by the criteria you've mentioned are far too big to go there) end up there.

Jesus if that's the case Manchester must have an amazing quality of life seen as yaya ageuro RVP and Rooney all decided to move there.

Crazy to think Anderson is on that wage. Ferguson's hopes must have been so high for him.

I would assume you are getting your figues from tsm?

• Advertisement

Jesus if that's the case Manchester must have an amazing quality of life seen as yaya ageuro RVP and Rooney all decided to move there.
    Riiiiiiiiiight.

Forbes had his salary last year at 10.7m per year and you can bet he has performance add ons to that as well.

10.7m a year is about 204k a week.

I posted a link with each players wage.
    Would a considerable amount of his yearly earning not be from extras like ads, sponsors, appearances at events etc?

kryogen wrote: »
    I would assume you are getting your figues from tsm?
    A few places. Some of which may have also gotten from there. That figure does seem to be the general consensus on the topic.

Riiiiiiiiiight.

What's that? Just realised you've been talking ****e the whole time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Any fear for Kagawa if Mata came in? He hasn't exactly set United alight since he's joined. Anyone think Rooney is off in the summer regardless if we CL or not? Something has to give

• Advertisement

What's that? Just realised you've been talking ****e the whole time?
    Yeah that is definitely what it was. Thanks for showing me the error of my ways.

Dante looking to get a better new contract so
    Brazilian defender Dante has denied that he has agreed a deal with Manchester United.

The 30-year-old Bayern Munich central defender has been linked with a January switch to Old Trafford and some reports had even claimed a deal was done.

But Dante has been quick to play down any such notion that he has agreed to leave Bayern and it is understood he is in talks over a new deal, with two years left to run on his current contract.

"What I can say is that my agents are the ones who handle deals and talks," he told Fox Sports Brasil.

"I am happy at Bayern and the most important is to keep working, I am happy with Man Utd's interest, let's see what happens in the future."

"I follow the Premier League and although Man Utd are in a bad moment, I appreciate the interest."

He concluded: "We have to wait until 31 January, a lot can happen in the future."

No deal

His agent Marcus Marin was also quick to rule out a deal with United.

"There is no agreement with Manchester United," he is quoted by the Independent.

"We are currently in negotiations with Bayern over a new deal and his first option is to play there.

"He is very happy in Germany at the moment but if nothing can be arranged in the next few weeks then of course he would have to explore his options elsewhere.

"Dante is at a crucial stage of his career so he needs to think about one last big contract. He has had a brilliant year and won several medals so we know how important the next few months will be.

"We are hoping that something can be resolved before the World Cup."

Marin revealed that United had previously been wanted by United, ahead of his move to Bayern.

"Manchester United followed him two years ago," Marin said. "We were in talks with them, but then he ended up at Bayern.

"They are a very good club - and a very big club - so it would be interesting if they were interested in Dante, although I stress we have not spoken to anyone.
    "

I posted a link with each players wage.
    Would a considerable amount of his yearly earning not be from extras like ads, sponsors, appearances at events etc?

£10.7m a year is just his United salary.

Apparently he gets $6.5m a year from endorsements.

$24.3m altogether in 2013 which puts him in the top 40 earning athletes in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Guardian now saying United and Chelsea have agreed a provisional £40m deal for Mata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

nuxxx wrote: »
    Any fear for Kagawa if Mata came in? He hasn't exactly set United alight since he's joined. Anyone think Rooney is off in the summer regardless if we CL or not? Something has to give

I think Kagawa will be going in the summer either way. Hasn't really worked out for him at United and I can see him going back to Dortmund.too good a player to be wasted on the bench.

Guardian now saying United and Chelsea have agreed a provisional £40m deal for Mata.

Screen-Shot-2013-09-17-at-09.46.49.png

This is going too fast for my liking, is Woody on crack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Riiiiiiiiiight.

I supposed youve lived there? I love this notion that London is heaven compared to Manchester also that gets bandied about.

Anyway, your 'United not a big club, cant attract big names' act lost credibility when you cited City and Chelsea as much more attractive propositions. 8 months removed from United comprehensively hammering both in the league. Give it another few years and hope for a few blue champions league before we can even start that discussion

Too fast? Its coming in to the last week of the window! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Screen-Shot-2013-09-17-at-09.46.49.png

This is going too fast for my liking, is Woody on crack?

Get it wrapped up and move on to the next one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The realist in me thinks calm down, with United it's never that easy, but the muppet in me is thinking Mata #7? #8? or #9?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement