Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    The realist in me thinks calm down, with United it's never that easy, but the muppet in me is thinking Mata #7? #8? or #9?

Give Valencia #7 again and hope it gives him another change of fortune haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

kryogen wrote: »
    Too fast? Its coming in to the last week of the window! :)

It all feels too easy, it's like when you do a difficult math question quickly and sit there thinking "that's definitely not right"

I hope it's true though, the away jersey would look great with Mata 7 on the back :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Don't think Valencia learning to fly would give him a change of fortune at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I just don't want to get my hopes up. I can't understand why Chelsea woulod sell Mata to us. Us having to play City and Arsenal yet this season seems to flimsy an excuse.

Degag wrote: »
    I just don't want to get my hopes up. I can't understand why Chelsea woulod sell Mata to us. Us having to play City and Arsenal yet this season seems to flimsy an excuse.

End of season loan :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

CSF wrote: »
    Crazy to think Anderson is on that wage. Ferguson's hopes must have been so high for him.

I haven't looked into the authenticity of the figures posted etc but there's a quote in Fergies book about the scouts telling him "this guy is going to better than Rooney"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It all feels too easy, it's like when you do a difficult math question quickly and sit there thinking "that's definitely not right"

I hope it's true though, the away jersey would look great with Mata 7 on the back :p

If it does happen, it certainly hasnt happened as quick as it appears to have so I can only say it will be some sort of evidence that the boys have learned from the summer about keeping deals quiet as long as they can.

Trilla wrote: »
    I haven't looked into the authenticity of the figures posted etc but there's a quote in Fergies book about the scouts telling him "this guy is going to better than Rooney"

His brother, Martin.

Anderson really was a special player in his youth.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

His brother, Martin.

Anderson really was a special player in his youth.

I remember him scoring a beast of a header for Porto in the CL I think! A header!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If it does happen, it certainly hasnt happened as quick as it appears to have so I can only say it will be some sort of evidence that the boys have learned from the summer about keeping deals quiet as long as they can.

It was on a business website that United would do their business different this transfer window.
    Keep expectations lower while working to deliver, rather than raising expectations only to disappoint, that they knew they really messed up in the summer.

RobertKK wrote: »
    It was on a business website that United would do their business different this transfer window.
    Keep expectations lower while working to deliver, rather than raising expectations only to disappoint, that they knew they really messed up in the summer.

Business for dummies website was it!?

Yeah it was speculated that that is how things were being done alright, on this thread in fact, but to see it actually happen would prove it.

Still a long way from being convinced about the deal being done

Devil08 wrote: »

Woodward, though inexperienced in player recruitment is pretty clearly not a dummy in business. Look at how he has grown the brand.

Woodward, though inexperienced in player recruitment is pretty clearly not a dummy in business. Look at how he has grown the brand.

There's a chapter on there called 'how to sign players for dummies'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You just know if this deal happens there'll be a few clowns who have it down to Fergie and will remain convinced that Moyes and Woodward are still terrible at everything. Even if Rooney were to leave in Summer, Mata would completely invalidate any claims of lack of ambition he could make and be a ready made quality replacement. If Nani got fit and Kagawa stayed a very positive change in style could accompany it too. I swear to god if Valencia and Young are starting games next season I'll have a coronary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It was actually a good article dealing with the business side of the club, and I did post it here a couple of weeks or so back.

Right

Liam O wrote: »
    You just know if this deal happens there'll be a few clowns who have it down to Fergie and will remain convinced that Moyes and Woodward are still terrible at everything. Even if Rooney were to leave in Summer, Mata would completely invalidate any claims of lack of ambition he could make and be a ready made quality replacement. If Nani got fit and Kagawa stayed a very positive change in style could accompany it too. I swear to god if Valencia and Young are starting games next season I'll have a coronary.

Yeah I agree with a lot of this, but if Rooney does go then a striker needs to be brought in to replace him, we cant rely on RVP alone and though they are good players they are not Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

4a519_orig-leaving_with_disgust.gif%3Fw%3D680

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Spending huge money on a world class number 10 rather than on a world class central midfielder, only really makes sense if Rooney is going to leave.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Spending huge money on a world class number 10 rather than on a world class central midfielder, only really makes sense if Rooney is going to leave.

Either that or a change of system completely and goodbye to the out and out wingers

Rooney, Mata, Kagawa, Januzaj etc are would all be great options to have floating around a support line, we would need to strengthen other areas to go with that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Article about Steven Gerrard's gangland connections. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057130620

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Wrong thread

I haven't got my hopes up on the Mata deal yet, but the rotation of a fit Carrick, Fellaini and Fletcher in the middle along with Mata, Januzaj, Kagawa, Rooney and RVP rotating in the attacking positions would make me feel a lot more confident about our chances of getting 4th. Certainly the addition of Mata would be a serious sign of intent to everyone outside the club but more importantly, within the team also.

When RVP, Rooney and Fellaini return to first team fitness, and hopefully everyone else remains more or less injury free in the meantime, Moyes needs to nail down the semblance of a consistent starting 11, natural rotation aside. I couldn't get over the regressive team selection he chose for Sunday's match. Hernandez, Kagawa and Fletcher should have played from the start, assuming all were fit. It seemed a bit baffling to put Phil Jones straight into the starting 11 after a few weeks out.

On Phil Jones, surely with Vidic out for the next 3 games there will be at least one of those where we get to see Phil play in his natural position? The longer I see him not getting game time there, the more I see him becoming a 'jack of all trades' player rather than the CB master I still think he can be. If Moyes continues to rotate him from position to position until season's end, that will be 2 Manchester United managers who have done it for a prolonged period, and therefore the outlook of him becoming the next great Manchester United CB grows bleaker.

If we secured Mata and a LB, be it Baines or Coentrao, before this window closes then that would be a good start to the much needed rebuild. I know Baines is coming to the later years of his career, but despite showing form last season Patrice Evra is not doing a job anymore. Plus, Buttner is not the best back-up and not a replacement for Evra. Getting Baines would give us 2-3 years to find and develop our next long term LB prospect. The amount of goals which originate from Evra's side of the field and the rate at which teams attack and counter attack us through this area is currently far too high.

While I am not putting faith in Carrick, Fletcher and Fellaini being the backbone of a serious title/european challenge next season (if we manage to compete in the latter) I do see them being sufficient at seeing us to the summer where it's obvious that there is the best chance of signing our primary CM targets. I feel Tom Cleverley plays better when he is not 1st choice and feels he has to work his way back into the team. With the aforementioned 3 fit and talk of us adding more to the area in the summer, I trust him to suffice in a 4th choice role for the coming months. Our attack is just dripping potantial even without Mata, all it's going to take is a run of games with our 1st choice players fit along with a consistent MF (be it Carrick/Fletch, Carrick/Fell, Fletch/Fell) servicing them to get our attack right.

Without spending way over the odds I want to see us secure at least 1 of our primary targets before the window closes. That along with returning players will make me hopeful of seeing out the season on a bright note. But come summer, we need to raid the cookie jar, C4 the warchest, check down the back of the executive couches at OT for every penny that will sign our main targets in the summer. With the names we have been linked with consistently, I do trust Moyes to spend any and all money available to refresh the team. If we really were linked with the likes of Adam Johnson and Leon Osman my opinion would be very different. Worst case, if Moyes does buy quality players but still can't lift the team, the next manager will still have those quality players at his disposal as Moyes won't get long if he AVBs it.

He will get at least next season, or until Christmas at the very earliest. In my mind anyway I think that will be my limit. There's no way it can get much worse than as of late and I still see hope. I don't believe Moyes will come right because 'we're Manchester United and we gave the last guy 26 years', but I think he will get there for the same reason I think Fellaini will hit his stride at Utd. An individual who is very good at his job but just needs time to settle in at the new one.

9/10 points is a must from the next 4 games. With Rooney and RVP hopefully back I'd fancy a performance from us at the Emirates come February 12th but I guess half our squad could get injured by then. Going to get some sleep now and hopefully tomorrow there will be a positive development in our transfer business. Oh and I lied, my hopes are through the roof on the prospect of signing Mata! Foolish in the extreme I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

rvp might be goin thru another injury prone season so to have mata to play behind rooney would be brilliant.
    people will say then surely kag should be given a chance to play behind rooney but mata is proven in the prem league. reckon kag could be on his way back to dortmund if they sell reus in the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Pro. F wrote: »

Not necessarily. Mata can easily slot in on the right. It makes sense in so many ways because we've been so poor from the right and that Mata is a world class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Atletico Madrid are ready to offer striker Diego Costa and defender Filipe Luis to David Moyes if Manchester United drop their attempt to sign Chelsea midfielder Juan Mata

Telegraph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Not going to get my hopes up but it would be (Mata that is) a lovely signing.

I wont believe a thing til I see him at OT posing with Moyes and a jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will today be a great day?

Mata confirmed and a trip to wembley booked?

Or another day of will we/won't we and an abject performance?

Certainly is an unpredictable time to be a United fan!

Woodward and Moyes - 9 days to get Mata and Vial on board - you can do it guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Will today be a great day?

Mata confirmed and a trip to wembley booked?

Or another day of will we/won't we and an abject performance?

Certainly is an unpredictable time to be a United fan!

Woodward and Moyes - 9 days to get Mata and Vial on board - you can do it guys!

I'm hoping Mata is in for the weekend, and I think of United do splash the £40m, then it shows a level of intent and finally paying the value of a player at last.

Vidal I imagine is more of summer signing, and even at that, quite unlikely I would imagine. I haven't heard anything on that front that would make me think he would come. Though you never know.

Hopefully we can spring Rooney tonight, get to Wembley and start a climb up this Everest of a league table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Mata to sign this week, kagawa to leave at the end of the season in a swap deal for either reus or gundogan, Luke shaw to sign at the end of the season, Jaysus I had some dreams last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

My hopes are up now. This happened last summer with Thiago and I was crushed afterwards. Whyyyyyyyy cruuuuuuuuuuuuel world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

I really hope this is sorted today amd he signs. I dont think my nerves could take it would if its dragged out. If mata does sign. Would he be cup tied in the cl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

I really hope this is sorted today amd he signs. I dont think my nerves could take it would if its dragged out. If mata does sign. Would he be cup tied in the cl

Yes he would be played for Chelsea already in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

In naming the type of current players he admires, Paul Scholes named Mata. Good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I supposed youve lived there? I love this notion that London is heaven compared to Manchester also that gets bandied about.

Anyway, your 'United not a big club, cant attract big names' act lost credibility when you cited City and Chelsea as much more attractive propositions. 8 months removed from United comprehensively hammering both in the league. Give it another few years and hope for a few blue champions league before we can even start that discussion
    Spent a good bit of time working there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Lads this is Cesc all over again, don't get your hopes up.

Only making a bid for Cesc Mata after Thiago Kevin De Bruyne has already moved to Munich Wolfsburg and it makes no sense for Barca Chelsea to sell another midfielder which would leave them horribly short on numbers with no time to replace him before the window shuts.

It's just another example of leaking out information to make it look like we're in for the big players and trying to make a world class signing, and getting close before just running out of time this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Iago wrote: »
    Lads this is Cesc all over again, don't get your hopes up.

Only making a bid for Cesc Mata after Thiago Kevin De Bruyne has already moved to Munich Wolfsburg and it makes no sense for Barca Chelsea to sell another midfielder which would leave them horribly short on numbers with no time to replace him before the window shuts.

It's just another example of leaking out information to make it look like we're in for the big players and trying to make a world class signing, and getting close before just running out of time this time around.

I don't think it's similar. But we will see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Only thing that has me optimistic about this is neither clubs have denied it, so until one of them does its the waiting game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

IF it does happen, and we qualify for CL next season, the £37m price tag will seem a genius piece of business on United's side.

Also, for anyone concerend that £37m is too high a price, take note:

A) He is a proven PL Player, who won the Play of the Season twice in his first 2 full seasons
    B) He is a midfielder who scores goals - remember those guys? (Mata got 20 last season)
    C) We need a better creative midfielder - Kagawa doesn't cut it on his own
    D) Opportunity to change our play from wide men, to a centralised 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1
    E) We spunked over £30m on Berba - when we DIDN'T need him
    F) We need a morale boost

master-t wrote: »
    IF it does happen, and we qualify for CL next season, the £37m price tag will seem a genius piece of business on United's side.

Also, for anyone concerend that £37m is too high a price, take note:

A) He is a proven PL Player, who won the Play of the Season twice in his first 2 full seasons
    B) He is a midfielder who scores goals - remember those guys? (Mata got 20 last season)
    C) We need a better creative midfielder - Kagawa doesn't cut it on his own
    D) Opportunity to change our play from wide men, to a centralised 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1
    E) We spunked over £30m on Berba - when we DIDN'T need him
    F) We need a morale boost

He dings in quality free kicks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Only thing that has me optimistic about this is neither clubs have denied it, so until one of them does its the waiting game :D
    That's the only thing that is getting me slightly optimistic too... Staying mainly unoptimistic though after last years carry on.

irishfeen wrote: »
    That's the only thing that is getting me slightly optimistic too... Staying mainly unoptimistic though after last years carry on.

Moyes will surely be asked tonight, if he says no ill cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Um

Man United deny Mata transfer bid

• Advertisement

Still says the are planning.....arent they.....please!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Indeed - they hadn't bid for him, still haven't officially/formally as far as I know.

However, it has been a firm 'no comment' when asked if they were talking to chelsea/mata or planning to make a bid.
    Very confident United are close on this one, just hope they push it through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I can't do this again..

I did it at the start of the season..and was let down..

I think smiley faces can describe a timeline of events better then me

:D;):eek::mad::mad::mad::(:confused::mad::(:mad:confused::eek::mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Two things about this - It's Darren Lewis, and it's from yesterday.

We all know today, it's happeneing or at least an official bid will be made :)

It's good move form the club in fairness if they do deny it or at least say very little about it. In the summer, Moyes came out saying we wanted to sign players, world class players etc. Then we missed out on a few and got Fellaini. The fans went mental.

This time, he plays down all rumours, and says it's unlikley we will get our targets in January. The he goes for Mata. Again, if he gets him, it's genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Iv a feeling if it's to be done it will be quick. By now they will know his price. it's just a matter of lodging a formal bid. If it goes through that's a different thing. Time will tell. Hopefully it's over by Fri allowing time to move to other players.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement