Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Who are United playing this weekend? Would Chelsea see getting Mata to United in time for the weekend game as an absolutely necessary outcome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

This will be most of us today.

f5.jpg

I was looking on Skybet and United for Favorites on about 6 or 7 players to sign before Feb 1st.

While some where high prices.. some where odds on.. I will admit not following the transfers in January for a few reason.. work and being let down are the main ones.

If we did get Mata is a great step in the right direction. But we still need 3 - 4 more players.

I really wish I could fast forward to 1st Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Who are United playing this weekend? Would Chelsea see getting Mata to United in time for the weekend game as an absolutely necessary outcome?

Weekend off as it's FA cup this weekend, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

cardiff at home so no pressure for chelsea there

aperture_nuig is right so we are playing cardiff next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Cardiff at home next Tuesdsay is the next league game - FA Cup this weekend.

We are at home to Cardiff on Tuesday.. No weekend game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No game this weekend,its FA Cup fourth round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Beans_On

no game for us this weekend. FA cup w/e

Cardiff on tues 28th in Old Trafford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

It's FA Cup this weekend so our next game is at home to Cardiff next Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Balague seems overly confident if it's not true Mr balague. I will look for you. I will find you. And I will kill you

• Advertisement

Weekend off as it's FA cup this weekend, I think.
    Hococop wrote: »
    cardiff at home so no pressure for chelsea there

aperture_nuig is right so we are playing cardiff next week
    kstand wrote: »
    Cardiff at home next Tuesdsay is the next league game - FA Cup this weekend.
    NeVeR wrote: »
    We are at home to Cardiff on Tuesday.. No weekend game.
    No game this weekend,its FA Cup fourth round.
    Beans_On wrote: »
    no game for us this weekend. FA cup w/e

Cardiff on tues 28th in Old Trafford
    statto25 wrote: »
    It's FA Cup this weekend so our next game is at home to Cardiff next Tuesday

We all must be sitting waiting for something to happen !! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Indeed - they hadn't bid for him, still haven't officially/formally as far as I know.

However, it has been a firm 'no comment' when asked if they were talking to chelsea/mata or planning to make a bid.
    Very confident United are close on this one, just hope they push it through.

Any inside knowledge dude?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭elchupanebrey

So Tuesday v Cardiff then, weekend off. Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Balague seems overly confident if it's not true Mr balague. I will look for you. I will find you. And I will kill you

Before that ask him about our deposit for Falcao transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Trilla wrote: »
    Any inside knowledge dude?

So I can be shouted at for two hours on here! FECK OFF!

From what I am being told, the deal is close and SHOULD go through very soon.

I still get the feeling it could fall apart though, think Jose could pull the plug on it.

I think a fee has been provisionally agreed, and I would imagine a contract has been provisionally agreed with Mata, I think it is just awaiting a 'go ahead' on the Chelsea end before stuff becomes official.

I didn't quite get it there lads, Cardiff on Tuesday, is it? :pac:

So I can be shouted at for two hours on here! FECK OFF!

From what I am being told, the deal is close and SHOULD go through very soon.

I still get the feeling it could fall apart though, think Jose could pull the plug on it.

I think a fee has been provisionally agreed, and I would imagine a contract has been provisionally agreed with Mata, I think it is just awaiting a 'go ahead' on the Chelsea end before stuff becomes official.

Ya im just waiting for Jose to pull a fast one and offer Mata to Atletico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

master-t wrote: »

This time, he plays down all rumours, and says it's unlikley we will get our targets in January. The he goes for Mata. Again, if he gets him, it's genius.

Not sure where genius comes into it if you can afford to offer 40m for a single player without potentially selling.denying a deal for a player is pretty much standard practice really

If you believe the rumours, he wont stop with signing Mata. Not sure where the Dante one has come from apart from the player himself which always sounds dubious to me. Also talk of a potential bid for Johan Cabeye as well as him having a look at Patrick Herrman Friday night. On top of that he's supposed to have sounded Juve out about their 2 central mid players along with Gundogan at BVB. Oh and Edison Cavani.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Still says the are planning.....arent they.....please!!!!!
    Picking up the phone takes a lot of preparation these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What are you all going to do if we sign Mata and he looks every bit as disjointed and ineffective as Kagawa does due to the complete lack of support from midfield?

Even Rooney only looks good because he works like a trooper, and if Mata were the type to work that hard, well, Mourinho wouldn't have dropped him then, would he?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RIghtly or wrongly, I'm getting a RVP vibe off this transfer rather than a Fabregas one. Feels like all the journalists are getting on the same page in a big way, rather than presenting 100 different angles to all hope they can claim they were right later down the line. But things seem to be going very fast, and I'd be thrilled if we were about to start, ya know, DOING SOMETHING!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

According to the articles posted, when De Bruyne left, Mata will have to request the transfer in person.

De Bruyne said that, if you are not a first team regular, you don't always train with them. He hinted that he felt very isolated.

He also said that he had to sit down with Jose & formally ask for a transfer.

It's not as simple as that, they are still waiting on the only person who remembers how to use a fax machine to come into the office.

Ballbag is saying Madrid have no interest in Rooney,

Wayne better start learning Spanish so

http://talksport.com/football/balague-real-madrid-have-got-zero-interest-wayne-rooney-14012276653?

If that move happens do you think it could be a swap deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

If we don't bring in at least two players in the next week i'd be suprised and disappointed but im confident that woodie will dip into the vault.
    We must be the only ones in the market for Mata that is able to afford what Chelsea are asking for though i wouldn't be shocked to see him go to PSG.

If that move happens do you think it could be a swap deal?

No, swap deals are fictional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

If you believe the rumours, he wont stop with signing Mata. Not sure where the Dante one has come from apart from the player himself which always sounds dubious to me. Also talk of a potential bid for Yohan Cabaye as well as him having a look at Patrick Herrmann Friday night. On top of that he's supposed to have sounded Juve out about their 2 central mid players along with Gundogan at BVB. Oh and Edinson Cavani.

Fyp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If Mata is still with us on Sunday and doesnt feature at all I'd say a transfer is on the cards, otherwise I full expect him to start the next 2 games prior to the City game.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

There seems to be a big change in attitude at Utd if the media are to be believed.

didn't Moyes say he didn't need Ozil yet its all guns blazing now for Mata?

very similar players in their creativity and style.

or (as i mentioned before) is Rooney definitely moving ? and that is the reason for the change in attitude towards needing such a player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

If you believe the rumours, he wont stop with signing Mata. Not sure where the Dante one has come from apart from the player himself which always sounds dubious to me. Also talk of a potential bid for Johan Cabeye as well as him having a look at Patrick Herrman Friday night. On top of that he's supposed to have sounded Juve out about their 2 central mid players along with Gundogan at BVB. Oh and Edison Cavani.

i am always going to be a bit dubious with cabeye, he wont say a word unless we are making a bid considering he made a complete idiot of himself in the last transfer window

Hococop wrote: »
    i am always going to be a bit dubious with cabeye, he wont say a word unless we are making a bid considering he made a complete idiot of himself in the last transfer window

I think a lot of it is the rumour mill gone into overdrive. Where did this magical 70m figure come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If there's any truth in the Mata rumours it could be a master stroke from Jose - distract Moyes by hanging a carrot under his nose and then pull out at the last minute leaving United with nothing. :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

If there's any truth in the Mata rumours it could be a master stroke from Jose - distract Moyes by hanging a carrot under his nose and then pull out at the last minute leaving United with nothing. :pac:

Nahh he still has a hard on for Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Let's not be daft, you don't just pickup the phone and start doing negotiations. There is preparation done in regards to obviously the financials, what the club are willing to offer the player, strategy for the negotiations and then obviously running the numbers.

You don't just walk into a club, decide on player A and do it all on the fly. That's amateur hour.

Indication is that United have made the preliminary enquiries, and have been advised of the fee. The club seem happy with the fee, and are doing their preparations. The main potential stumbling block is if Chelsea include any sort of stipulation on summer transfer of Rooney.

Transfers between big clubs, especially league rivals in a sense, don't go quickly, but there is a number of days to complete the deal. Indication is United are more then happy to meet the fee quoted, so unless Chelsea pull a fast one, the club don't want to agree to Rooney stipulations, or Mata himself blocks the move, could be in a good place here.

A lot of people ridicule Hunter and say he's rubbish, but I put stock in when he comments confidently on transfer gossip. He usually doesn't hang himself with wild speculation and has strong Spanish ties and also United ones(a lot of people forget that). He was perfectly confident giving specifics last night, so I've a feeling that what we have heard so far is true.

Remembering all we have really heard is that there was a preliminary enquiry, and United are happy with the fee required, and it's moving into the negotiation stage.

Big test for Woodward here, not so much Moyes, and I would be delighted if he pulls it off. He needs a win after the summer, and it will be massive experience dealing with a big club, for a big player, with a massive fee. hopefully that can then breed confidence into his future dealings.

Also be a boost for Moyes, and a show of support from the club behind him, for anyone who maybe doubted the support he has, or that people might be getting cold feet. you don't give a manager a 40 million player if you don't have the faith.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lads...sthaaapppppp

We are not buying Mata.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Lads...sthaaapppppp

We are not buying Mata.

I'd tow the line of caution alright, but it would appear we are at least making efforts too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

TheDoc wrote: »
    Let's not be daft, you don't just pickup the phone and start doing negotiations. There is preparation done in regards to obviously the financials, what the club are willing to offer the player, strategy for the negotiations and then obviously running the numbers.

You don't just walk into a club, decide on player A and do it all on the fly. That's amateur hour.

Indication is that United have made the preliminary enquiries, and have been advised of the fee. The club seem happy with the fee, and are doing their preparations. The main potential stumbling block is if Chelsea include any sort of stipulation on summer transfer of Rooney.

Transfers between big clubs, especially league rivals in a sense, don't go quickly, but there is a number of days to complete the deal. Indication is United are more then happy to meet the fee quoted, so unless Chelsea pull a fast one, the club don't want to agree to Rooney stipulations, or Mata himself blocks the move, could be in a good place here.

A lot of people ridicule Hunter and say he's rubbish, but I put stock in when he comments confidently on transfer gossip. He usually doesn't hang himself with wild speculation and has strong Spanish ties and also United ones(a lot of people forget that). He was perfectly confident giving specifics last night, so I've a feeling that what we have heard so far is true.

Remembering all we have really heard is that there was a preliminary enquiry, and United are happy with the fee required, and it's moving into the negotiation stage.

Big test for Woodward here, not so much Moyes, and I would be delighted if he pulls it off. He needs a win after the summer, and it will be massive experience dealing with a big club, for a big player, with a massive fee. hopefully that can then breed confidence into his future dealings.

Did you ever hear the way Fergie bought Cantona. The good old days where two managers are talking and he asked about him in conversation. No need for 25 agents and cling ons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Its happening we will be **** sorry admiring mata in a united shirt in february

Did you ever hear the way Fergie bought Cantona. The good old days where two managers are talking and he asked about him in conversation. No need for 25 agents and cling ons

Yeah the good old days :D

At the same time the money your talking about these days is massive, with a lot more complex contracts, deals and structures of deals. It's not just "here is your 40 million", although in some cases paying full sums up front can be beneficial and a tactic, the deals are usually complexly structured and payments made out over time. So that takes a big of working out to do.

A number of structures are worked out beforehand, that's what preparing a bid is, you give essentially your first offer, but if its rejected you have alternatives already prepared, not wasting another few days going back to the drawing board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Mata, Banega and Coentrao would do very nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Away from transfer giddyness and since we're spending all this money...the latest Andersred blog is a pertinent read.

http://andersred.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/manchester-united-potential-financial.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheAndersredBlog+(the+andersred+blog)

On Matas potential signing and fitting in... no problems... before his injury Rooney was dropping deeper and dictating more than he was at the start of the season so we are alot less 442, Fletcher and Carrick returning have also aided this... Mata can cut in from wide, Adnan can cut in or go down the line, it's gonna be sexy football central!!!

Also, I think anyone expecting a big name CM signing this window could be in for a let down. Carrick, Fellaini, Fletcher, Cleverley, Jones and Giggs for the 2 sitting positions...I can't see Moyes adding further because he will continue with 2 'sitting midfielders'.

If we get Mata and a top class marauding LB I'll be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Mata, Banega and Coentrao would do very nicely.

If that happened big ED should get a statue outside the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

ericzeking wrote: »
    Also, I think anyone expecting a big name CM signing this window could be in for a let down. Carrick, Fellaini, Fletcher, Cleverley, Jones and Giggs for the 2 sitting positions...I can't see Moyes adding further because he will continue with 2 'sitting midfielders'.

If we get Mata and a top class marauding LB I'll be delighted.

Jones is a centre back and should get a runs centre back due to vidic's suspension, Giggs won't be playing regularly in the ur in, everyone knows that Cleverley isn't good enough which leaves 3 players vying for 2 positions

Jones is a centre back and should get a runs centre back due to vidic's suspension, Giggs won't be playing regularly in the ur in, everyone knows that Cleverley isn't good enough which leaves 3 players vying for 2 positions

I don't disagree with you, I'm just trying to look at the thing objectively and predict what will happen and how I think Moyes will see it. Remember Moyes bought Gibson from us and had players like Arteta, Carsely, Graveson, he likes a sitting midfield. Any major overhaul here will be in the summer imo.

Cleverly is good enough to be fourth choice, you can't really expect to have a much better player as 4th choice... Jones and Giggs are options when required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Lads...sthaaapppppp

We are not buying Mata.

It's a nailed on certainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheDoc wrote: »

Indication is that United have made the preliminary enquiries, and have been advised of the fee.

We heard a lot of variations of this all summer. Look how that turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Nuts102 wrote: »
    If that happened big ED should get a statue outside the stadium.

We still have three stands left we can name after him! :D

Seriously though, I'd be amazed if he pulls this off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If it is upto Jose Mourinho, then United have a great chance of signing Mata.

The main reasons - he gets rid of a player he doesn't want for lots of money, he gets to help out a club he wants to manage sometime in his career - who can also put a test upto his main title contenders if they get the confidence, form and injured players back.

It is a win/win/win for all three parties involved - the two clubs and the player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement