Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Chelsea tv confirmed everyone but the injured Torres trained today.

That Torres to City in return for Aguero to Chelsea rumour* must be true!:eek:

*Which I just made up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Panthro wrote: »
    That Torres to City in return for Aguero to Chelsea rumour* must be true!:eek:

*Which I just made up

Ye be better off offering them Ba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

kryogen wrote: »
    Another great exclusive from the Daily Mail in that case :D

That Neil Ashton guy is unreliable as fcuk but writing a whole article on a blatant lie that can easily be shown false just takes the cake

How he keeps his job I don't know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ye be better off offering them Ba
    We should take Torres in a double deal with Mata. Might get the price down a bit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

SSN now saying Mata was at the training ground but MAY not have trained -_-

That Neil Ashton guy is unreliable as fcuk but writing a whole article on a blatant lie that can easily be shown false just takes the cake

I follow it for the Photoshop attempts.
    That one of Mata's head on a fairly tall and well built United player (No.14 on his shorts, Chico?) is uncanny. (except Mata is 5ft 7" :D )

Boggles the mind alright how lots of them have jobs, I picked the wrong career you know, football journo seems a handy one. If there is no story, just invent one! Who is gonna pull you up on it!

Panthro wrote: »
    I follow it for the Photoshop attempts.
    That one of Mata's head on a fairly tall and well built United player (No.14 on his shorts, Chico?) is uncanny. (except Mata is 5ft 7" :D )

Chich is about 5'9 so not too bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I work with a lad who used to work for the Irish Daily Mail. He claims that the lads writing the sports pages would often sit around during the transfer window and bounce ideas off one another, inventing stuff to fill the columns.

We're gonna sign two players this window but one of them 100% won't be Mata.

And the other one... will be Mata then??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

I work with a lad who used to work for the Irish Daily Mail. He claims that the lads writing the sports pages would often sit around during the transfer window and bounce ideas off one another, inventing stuff to fill the columns.

Thats actually the most believable story I've read all day. They are a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I'd well believe it and that's why I despise transfer windows.
    One thing I want to know is... why always United???
    Seriously, no other club has to go through anywhere near the amount of bullshìt we endure. It's comical at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'd well believe it and that's why I despise transfer windows.
    One thing I want to know is... why always United???
    Seriously, no other club has to go through anywhere near the amount of bullshìt we endure. It's comical at this stage.

Massive club = massive column inches

We are the best supported club in the multiverse after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think Neil Ashton is an awful journalist when it comes to opinion pieces but I do remember a few times when he nailed exclusive facts, I think he does have contacts.

This is one I remember (for some reason) that he got right and he was the first to break this at the time. Not big but shows inside knowledge.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2235755/Fernando-Torres-dropped-Eden-Hazard-Juventus.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Edit: And I think he was the first to break the Clattenburg/Lallana incident.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2532710/Mark-Clattenburg-investigated-Southampton-accuse-referee-abusing-Adam-Lallana.html

Is that you, Neil Ashton?!
    I heard United were after Yaya and Aguero for 1 billion.
    I've also heard Ronaldo is doing the same dissertation topic as me (which reminds me, better get on to that)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looks like Sky just plugging something to sell on deadline day because of how uneventful it looks this window, pour gas on the fire now and cool it off until deadline day for the headline

"United back in for Mata"

I hope there are other players coming in

Can just picture Jim White roaring that around 10.30pm on deadline day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Can just picture Jim White roaring that around 10.30pm on deadline day.

Wayne small step for man, juan giant step for mankind!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Boggles the mind alright how lots of them have jobs, I picked the wrong career you know, football journo seems a handy one. If there is no story, just invent one! Who is gonna pull you up on it!

half the boardies on the man united gossip thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

The difference between United and Everton/Liverpool at the moment is we should have the resources in place at our lowest moment to buy players to get us back ahead of them.

If we can't then what's the point of it. Taking Liverpool as the main competition, if they get 4th they'll probably keep Suarez and have a revenue increase with Europe to be able to buy better players, offer better wages and most of all attract the top players. If we don't spend we are letting them improve financially and on the pitch which is suicide, do you think if they were in our position they would not spend the money they should have and let rivals get back in the mix?

All of the sponsors, the massive revenue all means nothing if we can't use it to stay ahead of teams who shouldn't have a chance against us financially.

You don't need to spend like City to compete but you do need strengthen the team when it's needed. Add 2 or 3 world class players to our starting 11 and we would have no problem.

Unfortunately I think you probably do need to spend like that. PSG, Barca and real spend like that. Chelsea spend like that even arsenal have broken our record transfer fee. Unfortunately when you mention a world class player you also mention $$$$. And more of $$$$ get added when your
    name is manchester united. I however dont think we have much money to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

SSN reporting now hat mata did not train with the chelsea team today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

3/1 for mata to stay at Chelsea with skybet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Maybe that is why Jose wants rid!!!!! The lazy fecker wont train!!!!!

jambofc wrote: »
    half the boardies on the man united gossip thread.

Doubt he cares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

mata.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

^^ some people have too much time on their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Red Crow wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Mata can easily slot in on the right. It makes sense in so many ways because we've been so poor from the right and that Mata is a world class player.

Mata can definitely do good work from wide, we've all seen that in his time at Chelsea and Valencia. And Moyes does like a wide player who cuts in, so Mata wide would fit into the type of gash football our manager wants to play.

But the thing is, United are not a good passing team. That is certainly not going to change until the central midfield is fixed. Realistically, it's probably not going to change until the central midfield is fixed and Moyes is replaced.

In teams that don't pass the ball well the wide players have to do a lot of running, getting up or down the pitch every time possession is won or lost. Mata is not physically suited to that type of play. The way Moyes used to accommodate those types of wide players at Everton was to allow them to slack off a bit on defending. But that is obviously a less than ideal solution. It means that every big game he goes into Moyes is weighing up whether to play the creative option for attack or the athletic option for defence, rather than having the ideal player who balances the two.

So a player lacking in athleticism, like Mata, playing out wide in a team that lack fluidity in possession, like United, is a compromise.

If Rooney does stay and Mata had to play wide it may all work out in the end. Moyes might get the team passing properly, he might fix the central midfield and the left back. And then we'll have a team playing well with Mata, a creative genius, working well from wide. Mata will definitely improve things in the short term, regardless, but I have a feeling it will always be a compromise until the other issues are fixed.

That's normal (Mata profile on Manutd.com)

They have a profile for everyone they are linked with on the gossip column on the site, don't get excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

NeVeR wrote: »
    mata.jpg

Why post that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

But he's not a striker....at least make it convincing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I'm trying to lighten the mood a little. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Boggles

:(

Did Sky lazily take the Mata not training story straight from the mail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

But the other one could be Mata yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Did Sky lazily take the Mata not training story straight from the mail?
    Hardly sky always seem to use their own sources for transfer stuff... They have to really so to keep thrustworthy in the eyes of viewers opposed to the rags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

All will be revealed pre match when they interview Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

irishfeen wrote: »
    Hardly sky always seem to use their own sources for transfer stuff... They have to really so to keep thrustworthy in the eyes of viewers opposed to the rags.

LOL

My money's on a ''I don't talk about players at other clubs'' response.

I doubt he'll say anything, he'll be evasive or deny everything. Being quiet about speculation is the best policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

xabi wrote: »
    LOL
    In general they are fairly good....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I personally love the work FutureGuy is putting in for the cause. I can't for the life of me remember who it was, maybe Flah? Who was an absolute trooper for jinxing other teams in the run in for the title of 07/08 with gems like "Liverpool will hang on to this win, the 3 points are inevitable" and "United have blown it, 2-0 to Villa, no way back." Although it has gone over the heads of some, I see the anti-jinx work FG is putting in, if everyone thinks its done it won't happen! This is United we're talking about.

Keep fighting the good fight FutureGuy.

We are not signing Mata.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Blatter wrote: »
    My money's on a ''I don't talk about players at other clubs'' response.

Nah, He will look down for a second look up with a serious scottish look stare directly at the camera and say......"theres no value in the market"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

He cant say anything after what happened Fabregas. He should of learnt by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

irishfeen wrote: »

giphy.gif

Very reliable journalist....

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC
    Juan Mata did not train with #CFC 1st team today. Not injured. Things now moving quickly towards #MUFC move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

ROB ‏@1RobBeasley 16m

Juan saying adios to Cfc!

Supposedly has links with Chelsea and followed by some reliable people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Please jebus, please jebus let it be true

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC
    Juan Mata did not train with #CFC 1st team today. Not injured. Things now moving quickly towards #MUFC move

You can take that as gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Looks like its getting done if you believe most of the respected journos.

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC

Chelsea tv the lying bástards :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Doubt it, it'll be "Manchester United are always interested in the best players. And we will try our best to get them, but it's difficult, clubs don't want to sell players in January. I'm not going to talk about a player contracted to another club".

Unless of course things move very quickly between now and then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement