Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Burrito Place in Town [Poll Updated]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Beefy78 wrote: »

That deal is valid on takeout as well. I dont mind Tolteca but as has been said its lukewarm and by the time I've walked the five minutes home it has gone almost completely cold.

I've only ever eaten burritos as soon as they're made! I can't imagine getting one delivered, are they not soggy and icky by then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I've only ever eaten burritos as soon as they're made! I can't imagine getting one delivered, are they not soggy and icky by then??

They are much worse indeed, and cold(er). But if you have to, Saburritos are best - they put the finished burrito in the oven for a while and wrap them in a paper plate for takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I used to stop off at pablo picante's and bring a couple of them home. 20 minute drive. Burittos if kept warm, and the ingredients are given a shake to get rid of the extra bit of water, travel very well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I went to Tolteca for lunch the other day. Wasn't impressed either. They were a bit scabby on the fillings, and the burrito itself was lukewarm overall.
    A friend in work went today, and he reported the exact same thing.

I went to Burrito & Blues aswell, again, the other night, and again was delighted with what I paid for. Can't understand how everyone dislikes it so much. All relative I guess, I haven't been to some of the more popular ones in the poll. Must amend that.
    I'm surprised yo say that because Burrito & Blues is always so cold!
    We get it delivered to work sometimes from Burrito & Blues and it's cold, but if you put it in the microwave for a minute it's perfect, really good. Better than getting it in there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Finally got round to getting over to Boojum and it was very tasty, massively messy though (sauce/grease run-off down the side of burrito after the first bite!). I'll give it another go for sure; just probably pick fillings with more of an emphasis on dryness...

Pablos is still the best for me.

• Advertisement

On Burritos & Blues... I find it's often pretty lukewarm too and their meats are pretty uninspiring. It’s undoubtedly weaker than Pablos, Tolteca or Boojum, but it’s still a better option for lunchtime eats than most sandwich places. Their main problem (at least in the branch I go to) is that they’ve got 1 particular staff member who cannot roll a burrito to save his life.

Oh, and while I'm on a roll... Little Ass and Mama's Revenge get points for having the most interesting menus. Serious burrito fatigue from seeing more or less the exact same menu in places like Saburritos, Tuzo, Tolteca, Pablos, Boojum etc.

Although they call chicken 'Chook' in Tuzo. That's cute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm a boojum fan.

€5.50 for a burrito, or €6.25 with a can of coke when you show your student ID

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

i find Tolteca are very stingy on the chicken. They give extra rice to fool you

EyeSight wrote: »
    i find Tolteca are very stingy on the chicken. They give extra rice to fool you

They're very stingy. I had a burrito bowl in Boojum a while back, and the following week I had one in Tolteca. The Boojum one was massive, I couldn't finish it. The Tolteca one was pathetic, I actually wanted to take a picture of it but I didn't want to be one of those douchebags taking a picture of their lunch :D I'd noticed that previously with Tolteca too, they only put a fraction of what Boojum put into the wraps. And they're more expensive! It's a pity, because their food is really tasty, but it's put me off going there completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

I had a burritos in Tolteco a few weeks ago and found it very bland. Pablo's is nice but B&B is still my favourite. I love the sauces they have on the tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Pablo's was hugely disappointing recently, both of us terribly unimpressed. Just tasted like muck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They're very stingy. I had a burrito bowl in Boojum a while back, and the following week I had one in Tolteca. The Boojum one was massive, I couldn't finish it. The Tolteca one was pathetic, I actually wanted to take a picture of it but I didn't want to be one of those douchebags taking a picture of their lunch :D I'd noticed that previously with Tolteca too, they only put a fraction of what Boojum put into the wraps. And they're more expensive! It's a pity, because their food is really tasty, but it's put me off going there completely.

What was the bowl like in comparison to the size of a burrito in boojum? Similar just without a wrap?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

What was the bowl like in comparison to the size of a burrito in boojum? Similar just without a wrap?

Way more rice and more meat too.

First time I was in boojum a Venezuelan girl I was on a date with brought me there, she loved it because it was the only place in town she could get a plate of rice and beans for a decent price and the barbacoa is apparently really similar to a Venezuelan dish. I got a burrito, she got a bowl. I'd wager the bowl had twice as much rice and maybe 50% more meat and beans than my burrito, the container was nearly full.
    In Galway if I was starving and wanted a quick filling meal I'd get the bowl with mexican rice, pinto beans, barbacoa and sweetcorn salsa with a little roja, the container would be nearly filled up, serious meal for €5.50.

Sounds good to me! Will give a bowl a try. Man I love boojum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Has there been any word on whether Boojum will be opening a southside shop, or is that just Chinese Whispers?

Yep just like Seaneh said, there's absolutely loads of food in a boojum bowl. In Tolteca they put the same stingy amount as they put in their wraps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

In terms of value for money at Boojum, I find the portion of chilli for €3.50 to be seriously good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I had a craving for a burrito all day yesterday. Finally got one at Tolteca at about 11.30pm and it was really bland and tiny. So disappointing,

Ok got the boojum burrito bowl, amazing and I can't move around too much haha. Better than the burrito for me, especially as all burritos tend ot ahve a problem with getting a good mix of ingredients, tends to be compartmentalized. Yummy, their guacamole is so nice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

boojum is great value for money!!! considering what you get!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

After many a burrito i have changed my mind frok boojum to tolteca as the mecca for my burritos. All the ingredients taste really good and more often than not i seem to get their 5e burrito deal. There hot sauce isnt very hot mind but is very tasty

There's a new burrito place upstairs in St Stephen's Green Shopping Centre, where sub sandwiches used to be. Haven't tried it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

For a slightly more authentic experience why not try Cafe Azteca on Dame St, up the top near Christchurch!

Seriously good burritos and plenty more besides!

Prefer Tolteca to Pablo Picante and B&B by quite some distance these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Prefer Tolteca to Pablo Picante and B&B by quite some distance these days.

Is that the one across from superdry? I went there once and they were extremely skimpy on the chicken. So much that they realised they put "too much" on and took some out! they compensated by putting in way too much rice.
    They may have saved about 50 cents by being skimpy on the chicken but they lost my custom.
    I like B&B mostly for the sweet potato fries

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

imust try the other burito places , but between b&b and boojum , boojum wins hands down in regards to value for money and taste

b&b you get little at a more costly price and in boojum you get get more at a less price, i dont know ether its just that iv become accustomed to boojum tho:P sometimes im just not arsed walking to the south side when im not on it

EyeSight wrote: »
    Is that the one across from superdry? I went there once and they were extremely skimpy on the chicken. So much that they realised they put "too much" on and took some out! they compensated by putting in way too much rice.
    They may have saved about 50 cents by being skimpy on the chicken but they lost my custom.
    I like B&B mostly for the sweet potato fries
    Yeah, but the first one is on Baggot St between the Waterloo and Searsons.

Stuff like that varies in every place in my opinion, I went to Tolteca tonight and they put way too much meat into it (it wasn't particularly well shredded and rather stuck together when they took it out of the tray), but usually they get it spot on.

Trying to compile a list of burrito places in Dublin:

Burritos & Blues (Wexford St, IFSC, South Anne Street)
    Pablo Picante (Baggot St Lower, Clarendon Market, Temple Bar)
    Tolteca (Baggot St Upper, Suffolk St)
    Mama's Revenge (Thomas St, Leinster St South)
    Saburritos (North Earl St, Epicurean Food Hall)
    El Gringo Burrito (er... their website suggests they are either in Stephen's Green SC or in the food court on Jervis St. Not entirely sure which is correct, as I've never been)
    Tuzo (Dawson St)
    Little Ass (Dawson St)
    Burritos & Orange (Upper Abbey St)
    Boojum (Millenium Walkway)
    Azteca (Lord Edward St)
    The Hungry Mexican (Bolton St)

Left out Acapulco because it's a restaurant and they'll charge you 15 quid for a burrito in the evening. Not sure if Azteca is the same as I've never been so I've included it.

Have I missed any?

• Advertisement

Burritos & Orange has closed. El Gringo might be the place I've seen in St Stephen's Green SC. Pablo has one location in Temple Bar too AFAIK. El Porco Loco is another place in Stillorgan.

Advertisement