Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Burrito Place in Town [Poll Updated]

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

mhge wrote: »
    Burritos & Orange has closed. El Gringo might be the place I've seen in St Stephen's Green SC. Pablo has one location in Temple Bar too AFAIK. El Porco Loco is another place in Stillorgan.
    Ah yeah, I remember seeing the Pablo Picante in Temple Bar too.

I found El Porco Loco on google there but left it out as it's not in Dublin City. Apparently Saburritos has 2 places outside Dublin also, which surprises me a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

There's The Hungry Mexican on Bolton St. Only a couple of months open now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah, but the first one is on Baggot St between the Waterloo and Searsons.

Stuff like that varies in every place in my opinion, I went to Tolteca tonight and they put way too much meat into it (it wasn't particularly well shredded and rather stuck together when they took it out of the tray), but usually they get it spot on.

Tolteca is just too small. Last one I had from there was more like a wrap. Very disappointing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Have I missed any?
    K Chido Mexico: the only place I've seen doing breakfast burritos.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Tolteca is just too small. Last one I had from there was more like a wrap. Very disappointing.

I got the bowl there before and the ingredients literally didn't cover the bottom of it. It was maybe a quarter full. What was there was nice, but I'd never go back again because of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I got the bowl there before and the ingredients literally didn't cover the bottom of it. It was maybe a quarter full. What was there was nice, but I'd never go back again because of that.

Same here. I got a burrito bowl in Boojum that must have had double what was in the Tolteca bowl, and it was cheaper! Tolteca tastes good but it's definitely not good value for money.

The Boojum bowls are awesome, however depending on the server sometimes they can be a bit stingey. Also the guacamole situation just eternally upsets me. It's 75c extra - that I can deal with. But they seem to give a painstakingly specific amount, instead of just going for broke and slapping two spoonfuls in.

Tolteca is only good if you avail of the BOGOF offer. Otherwise it's too small a serving to justify the price. The ambience there isn't great either imo.

The Hungry Mexican is great, especially in a group. Haven't tried K-Chido, but have heard good things.

Weird, the burritos I get in Tolteca are larger than pretty much anywhere else I go, certainly bigger than Pablos or B&B. I guess they must like me :)

Never get burrito bowls though.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

For me the advice for all burrito places trying to win me over is to train their burrito-making staff first on consistency. Just like at a coffee shop where I don't want the quality of my cappuccino to be dependent on who is the barrista on duty.

The other aspect that most have trouble with is draining and rolling. You have to drain the ingredients so it doesn't pool and eventually leak out the bottom onto who knows where (my pants if I'm not careful!). And you must roll the burritos tightly so they never come apart, even when you reach the bottom. I think the flour tortillas they use are not exactly the same as in California which are a bit bigger and more stretchy after steaming.

Finally a killer idea for any burrito shop in Dublin listening... add a self-service salsa bar so customers can help themselves to a variety of red and green (mango too) salsas to add as to their preference. :)

• Advertisement

ScottSF wrote: »
    For me the advice for all burrito places trying to win me over is to train their burrito-making staff first on consistency. Just like at a coffee shop where I don't want the quality of my cappuccino to be dependent on who is the barrista on duty.

The other aspect that most have trouble with is draining and rolling. You have to drain the ingredients so it doesn't pool and eventually leak out the bottom onto who knows where (my pants if I'm not careful!). And you must roll the burritos tightly so they never come apart, even when you reach the bottom. I think the flour tortillas they use are not exactly the same as in California which are a bit bigger and more stretchy after steaming.

Finally a killer idea for any burrito shop in Dublin listening... add a self-service salsa bar so customers can help themselves to a variety of red and green (mango too) salsas to add as to their preference. :)
    Does the SF in your nickname stand for San Francisco by any chance? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Went to Cafe Azteca again last night for the first time in a while. Still the best for me. Staff are sound too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

always get teh burrito bowl now in boojum, simply amazing, nicer than a wrap as you mix up the ingredients more.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DB83

Pablos is the burrito of choice for me.... especially the beefy barbacoa.

Have yet to try boojum, but sounds promising.

Poorest fare was had in mama's revenge... flavourless stuff altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Went into B&b south Anne street yesterday, burrito was good however the cheesey cubes were the most disgusting thing I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Boojum is great EXCEPT the hot sauce/salsa roja/verde whatever they call it supposedly spicy is too friggin mild. They need to jump all their strengths up by x8 and then we would be onto something currently its like mild honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Saburrito can be excellent, or rather crap. Very inconsistent. Don't bother with the spicy sauce there, the medium one is quite nice and has a tiny bit of a kick to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've actually gotten addicted to the bowls in Tuzo on Dawson st. They're always super tasty and they really fill the bowl up so you get a great feed out of it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

trellheim wrote: »
    Boojum is great EXCEPT the hot sauce/salsa roja/verde whatever they call it supposedly spicy is too friggin mild. They need to jump all their strengths up by x8 and then we would be onto something currently its like mild honey.

Agree with this. Only tried them once and it was lovely, but found it far too mild considering I got the strongest salsa.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

trellheim wrote: »

They have a special ghost chili sauce that you can ask for, though that might be TOO spicy!

• Advertisement

Tbh I'd say it's hard for a Dublin burrito place to win. Irish people (very generally speaking) don't tolerate spicy food as well as, say, Californians. I'm sure if the sauces were spicier, you'd have people complaining they're too spicy. Best let the customer jack up the spiciness level themselves. Keeps everybody happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Aard wrote: »
    Tbh I'd say it's hard for a Dublin burrito place to win. Irish people (very generally speaking) don't tolerate spicy food as well as, say, Californians. I'm sure if the sauces were spicier, you'd have people complaining they're too spicy. Best let the customer jack up the spiciness level themselves. Keeps everybody happy.
    I think the problem is that the top heat in a lot of places just isn't that hot to people who really really like their heat.
    Boojums hottest is nice, but it could be hotter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

In the midst of serious hangovers we got a take away delivery from The Hungry Mexican on Bolton St (delivers to Stoneybatter) and it was really good. The fajitas we got were gigantic! I got mine with smokey chipotle sauce which was lovely, will try a spicier one next time. We ordered nachos and they were mostly crunchy but some were a bit soggy by the time we got them, but I think that can be expected with delivery. My only issue with the fajitas themselves was that there was lettuce in them, which I do not like in my burrito/fajita, but next time I'll just ask them to omit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

There always seems to be an under the counter extra spicy sauce in all these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

On a slightly related note, the Quesadilla's in Saburitos are fantastic. Pinta beans and Guac ( yes technically against the rules) for extra win

Twee. wrote: »
    In the midst of serious hangovers we got a take away delivery from The Hungry Mexican on Bolton St (delivers to Stoneybatter) and it was really good. The fajitas we got were gigantic! I got mine with smokey chipotle sauce which was lovely, will try a spicier one next time. We ordered nachos and they were mostly crunchy but some were a bit soggy by the time we got them, but I think that can be expected with delivery. My only issue with the fajitas themselves was that there was lettuce in them, which I do not like in my burrito/fajita, but next time I'll just ask them to omit.
    Yeah, do not want lettuce in my burrito either.

Saburritos is a bit odd with stuff like spanish rice and pineapple in their pico de gallo. The guacamole looked absolutely rank when I was there so I avoided it; the lamb chorizo chunks were delicious though.

This is Mexican food; you're going in for the spice guys, get with the programme ; the bottom end should have a good midrange kick and the spicy end should leave your eyeballs sweating . Anybody can lay on ghost chillies but thats under the counter stuff as was said; we need the normal top end to be tasty and hot else why put it on the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Mr.S wrote: »
    As said, some Irish are not used to very spicy food, if the lowest spicy was on par with Mexico, America etc then everyone would hate it ;)

FYP!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    They have a special ghost chili sauce that you can ask for, though that might be TOO spicy!

This sauce is extremely spicy, depending on if you get sour cream or not (I'm assuming, I don't get that or guacamole), but it is ****ing lovely, I could honestly live on them. Definitely the nicest burrito in the whole of Dublin, you can taste everything unlike Tolteca where you can only really taste the sauce in my opinion

• Advertisement

Exactly. Some Irish are not used to spicy food. But it is spicy food by definition and so should not be mild ! There should be a kick at the low end mmmmmmmm if you want bland go to mickey d's

Advertisement