Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Burrito Place in Town [Poll Updated]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Burritos and Blues have two salsas that are comfortably spicier. Saying the public can't handle it is ridiculous.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Boojum offer 2 salsa's one is quite mild and the other one is medium-hot. They also have umpteen bottles of sauces ranging from mild to very hot around the tables and a big bottle of super hot sauce behind the counter which you can ask for if you want to lose all sensation in your face for a few hours.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

trellheim wrote: »
    This is Mexican food; you're going in for the spice guys, get with the programme ; the bottom end should have a good midrange kick and the spicy end should leave your eyeballs sweating .
    Naw, it's American-Mexican food, different deal entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Naw, it's American-Mexican food, different deal entirely.
    ??

http://www.boojummex.com/about/
    a casual burrito bar serving homemade Mexican food at excellent prices

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Seaneh wrote: »
    Boojum offer 2 salsa's one is quite mild and the other one is medium-hot. They also have umpteen bottles of sauces ranging from mild to very hot around the tables and a big bottle of super hot sauce behind the counter which you can ask for if you want to lose all sensation in your face for a few hours.

Next time you're in, ask for the homemade chipotle. I'm not gonna explain, just do it.

• Advertisement

I'd also like to point out Mexican food isn't actually all that hot. Mostly chipotle and jalapeno peppers used which are very mild as far as chillis go. They use habenaros sparingly in some dishes.

Mexican food is more about the other spices like coriander and cinnamon and fresh cilantro, not the peppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Pablos and Little Ass have the best-tasting burritos for me. The others are very good but are bland in comparison.

Little Ass Sancho Panza is hands down my favourite burrito.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

In Fairness

I have walked past Pablo Picante never went in I have had 3 burritos in Boojum

and two in Burritos and Blues.

But I am going to be honest there is no way on earth that any of these places are better then Tolteca.

The taste is immense.

Try for yourself....

Now in the happens bridge food hall...there was a place across the hall from Boojum it was there 8 maybe 6 years o.k it was not the best burrito in the world but it was nice and I always miss the place..I used to always go there until they closed it down and Boojum opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'd also like to point out Mexican food isn't actually all that hot. Mostly chipotle and jalapeno peppers used which are very mild as far as chillis go. They use habenaros sparingly in some dishes.

Mexican food is more about the other spices like coriander and cinnamon and fresh cilantro, not the peppers.

Cilantro? We call it coriander here, bucko! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Your haughty post falls flat on its face here :pac:

• Advertisement

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Your haughty post falls flat on its face here :pac:

I used different words for different things. The leaf (cilantro) and the seeds (coriander) because they taste completely different. One is a spice and the other is a herb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I used different words for different things. The leaf (cilantro) and the seeds (coriander) because they taste completely different. One is a spice and the other is a herb.

futuramafry.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you want authentic go to Azteca, Hugo is mexican and tries to keep everything as authentic as possible. He imports his own ingredients.
    I'm not a massive fan of his burittos, but everything else I tried in there was amazingly goog.
    I have a few friends that want the burrito to be as hot as possible, but hot doesn't necessarily mean tasty, and not not definitely doesn't mean "bland".

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

trellheim wrote: »
    Burritos as people eat them here originate from San Francisco.

Loads of burritos have no heat whatsoever and are perfectly awesome without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Cienciano wrote: »
    If you want authentic go to Azteca, Hugo is mexican and tries to keep everything as authentic as possible. He imports his own ingredients.
    I'm not a massive fan of his burittos, but everything else I tried in there was amazingly goog.
    I have a few friends that want the burrito to be as hot as possible, but hot doesn't necessarily mean tasty, and not not definitely doesn't mean "bland".

Yup. Azteca is a good spot and does great Mexican food. But as many have pointed out the type of burrito we are talking about here originated in the Mission district in San Francisco. Important to draw these distinctions as burritos aren't really a traditional Mexican dish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

anyone else find the boojum in belfast tastes different to the one in dublin?

Boojum still the best for me but a lot of competition out there now!

remember coming back from San Francisco in the late 90's and there was only a minging wrapz place that advertised burrittos.

always knew it would take off in Ireland but the equipment and a lot of the ingredients were hard to get then!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

Twee. wrote: »
    In the midst of serious hangovers we got a take away delivery from The Hungry Mexican on Bolton St (delivers to Stoneybatter) and it was really good. The fajitas we got were gigantic! I got mine with smokey chipotle sauce which was lovely, will try a spicier one next time. We ordered nachos and they were mostly crunchy but some were a bit soggy by the time we got them, but I think that can be expected with delivery. My only issue with the fajitas themselves was that there was lettuce in them, which I do not like in my burrito/fajita, but next time I'll just ask them to omit.

Currently experiencing a very bad dose of food poisoning from this place !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

What did you have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

One thing that surprised me about Boojum is the fact they are strict with following guidelines regarding their food. I work in a shop that follows HACCP(food safety) so I know the rules and Boojum actually follows them( the same cant be said for another cheap eats places near the old apollo gallery). I have seen Boojum staff check the food is at the right temperature. They all wear gloves and hair nets. But most importantly the staff handling money are not handling food. Its rare to see a restaurant following the rules properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

hfallada wrote: »
    One thing that surprised me about Boojum is the fact they are strict with following guidelines regarding their food. I work in a shop that follows HACCP(food safety) so I know the rules and Boojum actually follows them( the same cant be said for another cheap eats places near the old apollo gallery). I have seen Boojum staff check the food is at the right temperature. They all wear gloves and hair nets. But most importantly the staff handling money are not handling food. Its rare to see a restaurant following the rules properly.

every time iv been there , there has been atleast one without a hair next , on time there was a lad with long hair serving :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

Boojum was closed yesterday during the day. Any reason for this or just extended holidays?

Had a Pablo Picante today very rude owner and an underwhelming burrito wont be back. Seems with his attitude its easy to have 4 sandwich bars with zero customer service might open one myself if he gets away with it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Hootanany wrote: »
    Had a Pablo Picante today very rude owner and an underwhelming burrito wont be back. Seems with his attitude its easy to have 4 sandwich bars with zero customer service might open one myself if he gets away with it. :mad:

Which PP was it?

Baggot St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Hootanany wrote: »

Always found the owner a pretty decent dude. Maybe you were being a douche?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

ScottSF wrote: »
    For me the advice for all burrito places trying to win me over is to train their burrito-making staff first on consistency. Just like at a coffee shop where I don't want the quality of my cappuccino to be dependent on who is the barrista on duty.

The other aspect that most have trouble with is draining and rolling. You have to drain the ingredients so it doesn't pool and eventually leak out the bottom onto who knows where (my pants if I'm not careful!). And you must roll the burritos tightly so they never come apart, even when you reach the bottom. I think the flour tortillas they use are not exactly the same as in California which are a bit bigger and more stretchy after steaming.

this is why i've stopped eating in pablo picantes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

I've eaten in the one on Baggot St. a number of times and always found it relatively friendly.

drquirky wrote: »
    Always found the owner a pretty decent dude. Maybe you were being a douche?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Odd. Pablos is my new favorite since my last few Boojum have been awful. Don't get to the "proper" southside too much so restricted to a five minute walk from oconnell st, so it's the Temple bar Pablos for me from here on.
    I'll say this though, I still miss the hell out of taco taco in the epicurean, the rename/rebrand they did has left it horrible since. Ahh, what I wouldn't do for one more chorizo sincronizada!

• Advertisement

just sharing my first experience did not expect to be attacked are the owners on here?

Advertisement