Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Burrito Place in Town [Poll Updated]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Hootanany wrote: »
    just sharing my first experience did not expect to be attacked are the owners on here?

Na- just giving my opinion. I like PP have always found the staff lovely and think the owner seems like a nice guy- just seemed that you had a bit of an axe to grind and wanted to counterbalance that w my experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Move on guys, ye've made your points

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

drquirky wrote: »
    Na- just giving my opinion. I like PP have always found the staff lovely and think the owner seems like a nice guy- just seemed that you had a bit of an axe to grind and wanted to counterbalance that w my experience

Why call me that name? nobody else that said that they did not like a certain place got that abuse Mod will move on but still do not like the personal attack

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Odd. Pablos is my new favorite since my last few Boojum have been awful. Don't get to the "proper" southside too much so restricted to a five minute walk from oconnell st, so it's the Temple bar Pablos for me from here on.
    I'll say this though, I still miss the hell out of taco taco in the epicurean, the rename/rebrand they did has left it horrible since. Ahh, what I wouldn't do for one more chorizo sincronizada!

I agree, taco taco was underrated and was there before burritos were really trendy (not being hipster about it, I love the options available these days). I am open to correction but us saburrito not a totally different company rather than a rebrand? They have another place of o Connell street. I was there early last year and it was great but they've gone downhill. In epicurean their band are swimming in juice that they don't strain before giving to you. It overwhelms all the other flavors, is really claggy and cause the whole thing to fall apart. The old Taco taco ones were clean, simple and held together, though the salsa was a little watery.

I love boojum but it can be that they put in too much of one thing out other. Main issue there is a personal one that others will probably disagree on: they Mix up the ingredients too thoroughly. There's no distinct flavors that make each bite a little different, it's all one consistent taste. That's one reason why I kind of like Pablo picante (not sure I could decide a favorite, my opinion changes all the time).

In America right now, must say we've come a long eat quality wise, we aren't far behind what I've had in Chicago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I agree, taco taco was underrated and was there before burritos were really trendy (not being hipster about it, I love the options available these days). I am open to correction but us saburrito not a totally different company rather than a rebrand? They have another place of o Connell street. I was there early last year and it was great but they've gone downhill. In epicurean their band are swimming in juice that they don't strain before giving to you. It overwhelms all the other flavors, is really claggy and cause the whole thing to fall apart. The old Taco taco ones were clean, simple and held together, though the salsa was a little watery
    Pretty sure it's a rebrand, maybe in all but name so there might be a new company floated for it etc. I knew a few of the old staff pretty well cause I work on the street and that's what I was told at least, before they scattered to the winds!
    My main complaint with saburitto is the size of the portions. Under taco taco the motto was "ours are huge!", now, they're tiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Has anyone tried the one in Phibsborough? Hola Amigo I think it'd called?
    Haven't been there myself, just saw it up on just eat recently.

Where about is that place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dangerousdavem

They do a Duck burrito. Sounds horrendous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Can't believe Little Ass did so poorly in the poll. Sancho Panza with mango salsa is the best burrito I've had outside of a spot in Boston. Boojum is very good but the way people go on about it it's as if it's the holy grail of burritos.

• Advertisement

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Can't believe Little Ass did so poorly in the poll. Sancho Panza with mango salsa is the best burrito I've had outside of a spot in Boston. Boojum is very good but the way people go on about it it's as if it's the holy grail of burritos.

Little Ass is fine as long as you don't mind the thing being mostly rice. I complained to Little Ass once over the behaviour of one of their staff on this point.

I should say, most of their staff were really cool, friendly, and accommodating. This was when they were out in Rathmines. I went in with my GF and ordered. She's vegetarian but really doesn't like rice (too fattening or some such sh1te). So she just asked that there be no rice. The girl behind the counter flipped out, like it was the most ludicrous suggestion she'd ever heard (we had actually gotten a no-rice burrito there before). One of the guys there just said no worries, I'll put in more sweet potato. Grand. Then the girl turns around and whispers angrily at him for a minute, then turns back around and says it can't be done, or if it wil the thing will be half empty. She eventually gave my GF a floppy, empty burrito that fell apart, clearly just to prove a point. She had actually claimed, with a straight face, that nobody EVER tried to order a burrito without rice. With that reaction I can see why. We never went back (I went in another day to complain to a manager who said she had been wrong, but didn't seem intent on doing anything and never gave me anything like a discount on a future purchase or something) while they were in Rathmines, I've been once in town but the same girl was in there so I went down the road to Burritos and Blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Anyone mentioned Mama's Revenge on Nassau Street yet? Really top quality ingredients. Their beans are the nicest of all the places I've been too and the portions are generous too. Staff are really friendly and pleasantly mannered too. I get burritos there most of the time because it's next to college and the student deal is great too.

They are gone out of Thomas St new place took over.
    Getting back to the one in Phibsboro its the Indian place they have a load of food businesses from that place Aladdin and the 40 Kebabs to name but one so its not Mexican its just trying to snare people to think it is. Hope I don't get attacked for saying this?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

They are gone out of Thomas St new place took over.
    Getting back to the one in Phibsboro its the Indian place they have a load of food businesses from that place Aladdin and the 40 Kebabs to name but one so its not Mexican its just trying to snare people to think it is. Hope I don't get attacked for saying this?

No one attacked you, you're being over-sensitive :rolleyes:

Why call me that name? nobody else that said that they did not like a certain place got that abuse Mod will move on but still do not like the personal attack

Hootanany, I let it go with a mod warning, leave it there please. Dont take the thread off topic please, pm me if you have anything further

Ibarelycare, leave it please

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Anyone mentioned Mama's Revenge on Nassau Street yet? Really top quality ingredients. Their beans are the nicest of all the places I've been too and the portions are generous too. Staff are really friendly and pleasantly mannered too. I get burritos there most of the time because it's next to college and the student deal is great too.
    Anyway... I've eaten in here a few times and I think it's pretty good. Not sure I agree on the beans but I actually prefer the refried stuff, the paste they have in burritos and blues. Pretty sure I'm in the minority there. But yeah, this place is well worth a mention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

can i request that the poll is up dated with new buriito places around dublin just to give them a chance ?? im going to give them a try when i get the full list of ones that where not mention in the poll above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Under taco taco the motto was "ours are huge!", now, they're tiny.

Which is funny because my main complaint about Taco Taco was the portions are too small. But then I'm used to California-sized!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

She had actually claimed, with a straight face, that nobody EVER tried to order a burrito without rice.

Some pub in Killarney that had a burrito on the menu tried to tell me you couldn't get a burrito without butter. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I request that this thread be locked and a new one opened. The list of burrito places has changed (they have been popping up like Starbucks). I am sure that some people would like to change their vote.

Maybe change the poll to allow multiple entries so we can see the most popular. Also maybe list the individual places, as from this thread the variation in quality between the different pablo's is contentious.

Or could mods edit the poll and reset the results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dangerousdavem

I'd be happy to have it updated and have all the new places added in. Although that would just give the current places mentioned an advantage so maybe it would be fairer to start a new thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Mods don't read all posts so you might want to pm one of them with your request.

I got a burrito in Pablo Picantes on Baggot Street yesterday, was sorely disappointed when I got back to my desk with the wrong order :( I didn't have enough lunch time left to bring it back. The lady handing me the bag called out my exact order and my order number so I've no idea how that happened. Otherwise I find the burritos there pretty tasty. I'm new to the burrito scene though :D

I'll have a read through this in a minute and set a new poll

Right, I've reset the poll and added all the places in Dublin City I could think of

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

100% boojum so far. :D

Thats next on my list

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Close tie between Pablo Picante and Boojum.

Will try Little Ass the next time I'm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Thanks for the poll reset. If anything, it has given me a load of new places to try before I vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Got to love a good poll....
    Anyway, few more places to try. Boojum is still numero uno for me though.
    The next time i get paid, i'm getting 2 burittos. Can't wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Last time I voted for Pablo Pucante but I prefer Tuzo.
    However, I've only sampled the two of them so I have a nice list to work through now! :)

Advertisement